Oh hey I remember this thing
Hoo boy, when was even the last time I earnestly wrote something here? Um, hi everyone! I don't actually know who everyone actually comprises of at this point or how many of you even look at journals and this kind of stuff anymore, but hi anyway! How are you? Good? I hope you're good.
So I was going to write this yesterday, but then I think something happened that people got upset or excited about or something? I honestly don't understand anything having to do with this place anymore whoops! But, yeah, thought I'd give the cliff notes version of what's been going on in my life for a while and talk about the cool new thing I'm doing.
Me the past year:
- Was becoming increasingly miserable at my Autism Speaks job because all the people I liked were either leaving or being fired, and the people I was working for were increasingly doing things I did not agree with or felt good about. Was increasingly expected to be on call 24/7 and essentially work as a news producer, which is not at all what I signed up for. This eventually came to a head in September, and my superiors used a lame excuse to find "cause" to fire me. Truth is that I had been planning on leaving on my own at the end of the year, so instead I received about a month of severance pay. So whatevs.
- I am now working full-time freelance, which I'll get into more shortly.
- I am now an editor over at Heavy Blog Is Heavy
, which is largely metal stuff but also lots of progressive and post-rock stuff. I write reviews, news things, and shoot/edit video of live shows and things of that nature. It's pretty much awesome and everything I've wanted to do (albeit just without the money part).
- I am still living in Brooklyn, in a pretty sweet, spacious apartment in a neighborhood no one seems to know anything about.
- After going through multiple cycles of dating and giving up dating, I've finally landed with an amazing human being and am going on 4-months strong with no sign of letting up anytime soon.
- I have harnessed the hidden, secret power of facial hair I never realized I had. Will never go back to those dark, hairless days again.
So that's pretty much it, other than the special freelance thing I said I was going to talk about. Since leaving AS, I've been hard at work putting together a new venture with a fellow video buddy of mine, and we just launched yesterday. I would like to introduce you to Arpeggia Media
. This is what I'll be producing all my stuff as from here on out. Please take a look around the site, have a glance at our reel
, and like our Facebook page
to see the awesome stuff we're working on.
I can't really express how I feel about all of this. Freelancing is exhilarating, freeing, daunting, terrifying, stressful, and seemingly just hard sometimes. But I'm learning as I go and am already in a much better position than I thought I would be at this stage. I know I don't post here much anymore, but I do miss communicating with a lot of you, so if you haven't already found me on Facebook
(which I'm also just getting back into the swing of things with), please add me there.
Anyway, thanks for reading if you got through all of that. You are all wonderful and beautiful people
P.S. - Except Dopp. That guy is the fucking worst.