Forums > General Discussion

The Oxford Comma Cafe

Posts (42117)

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#32862227 - 2 years ago

It has been nearly a month since the old site went cold, and with it the best community (in my opinion) on the Forums. I have missed it so much, and the time for waiting has passed. Since I am now able to post new topics in General, we're going to start the OCC again, born out of the ashes of the Level 20 forum and born to fly on in the Roosterteeth v2.0 environment.

What is The Oxford Comma Cafe, you may ask?

Well simply put, it is a message board. As younger generations have plodded onto the online scene, there has been a steady change in the way people interact on the web. Following in the vein of Twitter and hashtags, sentence structure and complete thoughts have been set aside for simpler, incomplete, more immediate communication. Even here on the forum, ideas are treated as finite, spur of the moment disposable things, much like a chat room where the object is 'hanging out,' but not necessarily saying anything.

A message board is more permanent. It is understood that once you post something, it stays. Message boards can be archived, and researched. They can be reviewed. They're a record of the past, and stand as a testament to the culture of the group who uses it. In many boards, users are asked to review and lurk to 'figure it out.' It is a place for conversation and for community. It is a place to have thoughts.

We don't have a lot of rules; we talk about anything and everything, but the one thing that we strongly discourage is shotgun posting and incomplete thoughts. The purpose is not to have the most posts or to ping the page to the top; it is to have discussions, and to get to know each other. We also ask that you make an attempt at sentences. As this posts shows, I'm not an English major, and we're not going to get all snooty about grammar; but ple4s dnt rite liek th1z.

Also, We are all human beings, and as such the opinions that we hold and the way we talk about them are sometimes…messy. Our passions, our politics, and our convictions can create friction and it can become easy to step on each other’s metaphorical toes. We need to understand that the opinions that are expressed won’t always be popular and sometimes be controversial and even offensive. We’re not going to agree on everything, and honestly, we’re not always going to respect the opinions each other have. But I implore you to respect the person themselves. No one should be made to feel unwelcome, unwanted, or like they shouldn’t post in the community. Consider the following guidelines before posting:

• Think about your delivery. Opinions will differ, however conflict can be avoided by considering the way opinions are presented. Being mindful of how you state your position shows people you disagree with that you value them and care enough to phrase your position considering them as well.
    • Consider letting some things go. Sometimes things can’t help but be controversial. If you know something you hold to really bothers another person, consider if the cost for discussing your position outweighs the reward from having other people read it. This does NOT mean don’t be controversial or state that you hold an opinion that differs from others, but rather weigh the cost. Sometimes it’s not worth it to win an argument.
    • Remember we are a Community of people, not a Chess Board. We wouldn’t be here if we didn’t like a little fight now and then; but not every conversation has to be something that causes conflict. Choose wisely when to have those interactions, taking into consideration that there are always other things to talk about.
    • If you have a problem, ask a Consular. There may be times when someone has written something inappropriate. We have discussed this, and while we completely respect the right to go to the person that offended you, we ask that you reach out and talk to a Consular before you do. First, we know how uncomfortable conflict can be, but we also want to be able to provide perspective to an issue. If someone is posting things on the form that shouldn’t be posted, or is being inappropriate, please let us help. We can help mediate any issues privately and respectfully. The last thing we want is embarrassment and hurt feelings. Consulars are noted in the OCC Keeper Roster below.

Finally, if you're interested, we have a group; Please take a moment to join if interested. There's not a lot of functionality in groups at this point, but I'm hoping that when Adam gets things working right, we'll have more things to do there. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to interacting with you.

Edit- I have been terribly influenced by procedural writing: so much passive voice above.

For new people, Keepers are members of the OCC who have both been sacrificed into our loyal order and also contribute regularly. If you want to be added, want to nominate someone to be added, or want to be removed, please let me know. Please note, removal from the list also comes with the removal of your right pinky toe. While it shouldn't affect you in every day life, you will always know its missing, thus what the symbology is there.

tumblr_m2z7yf8LVz1r1zn4oo4_250.gif

• Desayjin

Desayjin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RTX Guardian Emeritus

#32862234 - 2 years ago

It lives again! We'll need to hunt down all the original crew and get them back to posting.

• MrWartburg

MrWartburg FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Team Fat

#32862242 - 2 years ago

ivFma7E.gif

Praise Priest, praise him!

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#32862244 - 2 years ago

In reply to MrWartburg #32862242

Your mods and presence are all I need.

But a little praise never hurt anyone :P

• kaosblack21

kaosblack21 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RTX Guardian V.3.0

#32862260 - 2 years ago

This just feels right. It's been so cold and lonesome without the OCC thread!

• Gorczy

Gorczy The Real Slim Shady

#32862266 - 2 years ago

It's good to be home <3

• Desayjin

Desayjin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RTX Guardian Emeritus

#32862280 - 2 years ago

And everything is correct in the universe, for the most part ;). Let's see if there's a great spam bot wave that makes it's way into here.

• Gorczy

Gorczy The Real Slim Shady

#32862301 - 2 years ago

In reply to Desayjin #32862280

Oh please no. I don't want to make the site go down again by reporting them.

In reply to EricHVela #32862288

Your primary picture being a QR code isn't helping your case either.

• Priest

#32862302 - 2 years ago

In reply to EricHVela #32862278

My head now hurts, but this is a point I want to drive home about expectations. I was really pleased with myself for being able to create an image that tiles across two monitors with differing resolutions so I could have a picture of my daughter on one monitor and a picture of my son on another. I was feeling accomplished...until you worded. Now I realize that I was just dipping my toe into a deep, dark, scary ocean with depths that I lack the courage to explore.

• crofteria

crofteria

#32862310 - 2 years ago

Ah, there we go. Thanks @MrWartburg.

HELLO EVERYONE, I missed you lots and lots and lots. <3

• topham

topham FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold DHYB

#32862312 - 2 years ago

Yay! I had written something out last week should I have decided to try and make this thread, I'll post it now, and see what y'all think of it.

Oh, hello there, we see you strolling by. Why don't you pop in and have a chat? The conversation? Well, it can be about anything, just show rest to the other regulars in this fine establishment, and you'll fit in fine. Use your brain, and think through your response, we've got time. You may disagree with people, but this is not the place to get up in arms, this is a place for healthy discussion.

Then it was a 'May I introduce...' followed by a few invitations, and 'So, why don't we get the conversational ball rolling?' or 'Please, won't you join us? Cosy up by the fire, and share a story.'

Anyway, my imagination last week was on fire, I had so many thoughts on my mind, and now today, relative silence inside my head.

I asked a question at training, I phrased it as such, 'Why are we celebrating an assassin?' This question was about one of the patterns that we carry out, and then it lead me down a rabbit hole when I returned as I was trying to find a quote. It turned out that the quote had been incorrectly attributed to Martin Luther King, as the person writing it wrote their thoughts first, then quoted Martin Luther King, and their formatting was all correct, however, the first line that she'd written was also attributed to him. Interesting stuff, but it was the first part, the part that this woman that had written, that was what I connected to more.

It's good to have this thread back.

• Desayjin

#32862337 - 2 years ago

Well along the lines of starting things "anew" on the site, I have an "Ask an Economist" in the works. My goal is to have it out by early next week. :D

• kaosblack21

kaosblack21 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RTX Guardian V.3.0

#32862343 - 2 years ago

In reply to Desayjin #32862337

I'm glad to hear that after discussing the series with you and JDunlap at the charity auction!

Something about RTX helps get the creative juices flowing.

• Priest

#32862347 - 2 years ago

In reply to topham #32862312

Quotes outlive their origins. There's a saying "A sucker is born every minute" and that it's attributed to P.T Barnum. He never said it.

There is also a saying that "there are three types of lies: Lies, Damnable Lies, and Statistics" attributed to Mark Twain. He also didn't coin it- though I think that he did quote it at one point.

The point? People 'want' words to have meaning and that meaning has to be attached to greatness. We don't just want the power of the words to stand on their own- we want the strength of the person who uttered them to provide weight behind them. So history remembers what it wants to; but sometimes its ok...because who said what has no baring on whether or not what was said is true.

• topham

topham FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold DHYB

#32862357 - 2 years ago

In reply to priest81 #32862347

Yeah, which is why my favourite part isn't even the part that was said by Martin Luther King, the line was 'I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy'.

So, how has everyone survived without chatting to many people here? Actually a few of us even met up at RTX which was excellent!

• kaosblack21

#32862386 - 2 years ago

In reply to topham #32862357

It's been difficult without my fix. Glad I got to see some people at RTX. Next year at RTX we'll need to put together an official OCC meetup!

• atalantan

atalantan

#32862455 - 2 years ago

Hello everyone! I'm not an "oldie" but a "newbie" to this thread. Might I be allowed to cozy up to this intellectual fire? I could always just press my nose to the window of your living room and mildly observe the proceedings, but I find being an active participant to be much more fulfilling. *twiddles fake mustache*

• Desayjin

#32862510 - 2 years ago

In reply to atalantan #32862455

Absolutely! Welcome to our little group! :)

• MrWartburg

MrWartburg FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Team Fat

#32862555 - 2 years ago

In reply to EricHVela #32862552

I got the blood dagger, who's got the sacrificial lamb?

• Joron093

Joron093 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of The Forges

#32862572 - 2 years ago

Is it true? Has the OCC returned at last?!

• cwin90

cwin90 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold BaDumTiss

#32862574 - 2 years ago

I've missed it so much....Hello all you beautiful people.

• cwin90

cwin90 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold BaDumTiss

#32862577 - 2 years ago

I've missed it so much. Hello all you beautiful people. (This might have posted twice somehow)

• Desayjin

#32862591 - 2 years ago

Before we get too far ahead, let's make sure the ceremonial dagger is nice and sharp!

• Joron093

Joron093 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of The Forges

#32862601 - 2 years ago

In reply to Desayjin #32862591

I've got you guys covered.

tumblr_inline_mqb8rnvwpW1qz4rgp.gif

• kaosblack21

#32862605 - 2 years ago

We also need the Mad Queen to preside over the ceremony.