Forums > General Discussion

The Oxford Comma Cafe

Posts (53962)

• OboeCrazy

OboeCrazy FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Freelancer

#33696791 - 1 year ago

In reply to RWBimbie

I have no children, but I will always support the public schools in my area, and vote for any measure that gives more money to schools/teachers/public education.

Why do I pay for other peoples kids to go to school? Forget altruism, it's pure selfishness. Because I will have to deal with those kids when they grow up into adults. And it's in my best interest to have educated, well adjusted people. These are people who make my food, fix my car, build the apartment I live in, fill my prescriptions, run the bank my money is in, ect...

I help this country educate it's youth, so that when I'm in the nursing home and being taken care of by those kids I know they are not idiots.

• Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr Keeper of Logics

#33696797 - 1 year ago

In reply to RWBimbie

Bimbie, I will be the first to admit that the tax system is nonsense.

But my primary education was funded by these efforts. Without them... well, I'd not be here, in the least.

In reply to OboeCrazy

Well said. I believe in the altruistic side of this, but selfish logic warms my heart.

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#33696809 - 1 year ago

In reply to RWBimbie

In reply to OboeCrazy

In reply to Ratatoskr

There is a correlation between education and crime. 

https://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstream/handle/1853/56029/gentry_mokkapati_rampersad_-_educational_attainment_and_crime.pdf

• RWBimbie

RWBimbie Keeper of Poems

#33696824 - 1 year ago

In reply to OboeCrazy

I have no children, but I will always support the public schools in my area, and vote for any measure that gives more money to schools/teachers/public education.

Do you pay property tax, so you are voting to raise your taxes,

or do you vote to raise OTHER FOLKS taxes that you dont have to pay?

If people actually believed this was EVERYONES RESPONSIBILITY

then the tax should be on everyone, 

not just property owners.

Why have discriminating tax only some folks pay, but justify it by saying its everyones duty. 

Take the education tax off of property and put it on Voter Registration.

If you want to vote for more county education taxes then you as a voter pay for them.

• SailorGirl81

SailorGirl81 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper Of Kittens

#33696839 - 1 year ago

In reply to RWBimbie

So to clarify, your issue with school taxes is NOT that you don't have children, but that ONLY property owners pay taxes. 

Which would mean that even though hundreds of children from a particular apartment complex may attend a local school, none of their parents are paying school tax, only the apartment owner?  (although, I'm pretty sure that the owner would pass down the cost of school taxes to the tenants via their rent...)

Or did I misunderstand?

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33696871 - 1 year ago

Pretty dead in here today huh?

• Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr Keeper of Logics

#33696898 - 1 year ago

In reply to Fly

A bit. Let's get some necromancy going.

I'm not sure this has been a wretched day, but I'm ready to stake it into its grave. 

- Fridge killed my all my produce. 

- Apartment manager and I had a curt conversation involving the phrase 'lawyer'.

- Didn't get breakfast.

- Didn't get lunch.

- University bureaucrats are going to kill me by inaction. 

- Trying to start up a student group. So far so... grrrrrrrr.

- Just ate a whole rotisserie chicken by myself. First real food I've had in a while.

If anyone's interested, I'll be on the Discord's PC gaming chat in a while. Drop on in! Please just give me one good conversation today.

• RWBimbie

RWBimbie Keeper of Poems

#33696932 - 1 year ago

I just found out there was a Secret AMA at the site by Bethany,

I am far too pissed off to post anymore tonight.

• Radius55

Radius55 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Site Admin

#33696948 - 1 year ago

In reply to RWBimbie

Far from secret. It was announced both here and on social media well in advance. 

• MrFusion

MrFusion FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Calm Like A Bomb

#33696990 - 1 year ago

In reply to RWBimbie

She posted a journal and tweeted it out.

• MrFusion

MrFusion FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Calm Like A Bomb

#33696994 - 1 year ago

In reply to SailorGirl81

The idea of property taxes with apartments is that the owner does pay and passes the costs to the tenants, but in reality it's a fraction.  So the property is assessed at a certain value, not for the number of occupants, so in reality tenants are only paying a fraction compared to homeowners in the district.  

"But they don't own a home, so it shouldn't be as much"

While that may be true, they are still paying considerably less inside that rent, yet have access to the full amount of school districts utilities. 

• Joron093

Joron093 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of The Forges

#33697019 - 1 year ago

Peter H. Posted a FAQ journal of the ama from today if anyone is interested.

• SailorGirl81

SailorGirl81 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper Of Kittens

#33697034 - 1 year ago

In reply to MrFusion

In reply to Radius55

In reply to Joron093

I shall wait for the "offishal" version.

I already ranted about this in the Old Folks forum

• Radius55

Radius55 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Site Admin

#33697043 - 1 year ago

In reply to SailorGirl81

Huh? That was the official version.

• SailorGirl81

#33697050 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

"This is a collation of answers provided by the RT Live Events team during their AMA. There will be an official FAQ published by the RT Live Events Team themselves in the coming days."

• Radius55

#33697054 - 1 year ago

In reply to SailorGirl81

It's not going to say anything else. It's literally copied and pasted from the official AMA.

• Shadow5435

Shadow5435 Archange

#33697055 - 1 year ago

Lo-IDon'tUnderstandLotion-Zelda

Recently the skin on my knuckles disappeared and so my mother demanded I put on hand lotion and I have a question.

How the actual fuck does hand lotion work? When is the proper time to apply it? After you do your hands are all slimy and you can't touch anything. Are you supposed to put it on and then wait a few minutes and then wipe it off or what? 

HOW DOES IT WORK?!

• IronBridge

IronBridge FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Knowledge

#33697108 - 1 year ago

In reply to Shadow5435

Your supposed to bare through the pain of cracked and bleeding knuckles like a man, not use any of this lotion malarkey!

Back in my day if you wanted something to soften your hands you went and punched a palm tree until it gave out oil!

knockout.png

• zeitgeistzest

zeitgeistzest

#33697120 - 1 year ago

In reply to Shadow5435

I'd say apply as often as feels necessary.

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33697146 - 1 year ago

In reply to Shadow5435

You don't wipe it off. You leave it on until it soaks in. Working with cardboard almost my entire life has been rough on my hands. But in the morning and at night I use a bit of Eucerin Calming Creme. It doesn't burn or leave your hands feeling greasy.  

• datalaughing

datalaughing FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Always Right

#33697170 - 1 year ago

In reply to Priest

So, based on the findings in this study, paying my school taxes will make crime less likely in my area. Since having the area turn into a cesspit of crime will doubtless have a negative impact on my property's value, I think I'm ok with it.

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#33697171 - 1 year ago

In reply to datalaughing

Exactly. investing in a well-funded public educational system in your area has direct financial impact to you and your assets. It reduces the risk of someone trying to steal from you. It reduces the risk of domestic violence (as there is also a correlation between violence and education,) It increases the probability of property value increases, and it increases the probability of stable, nuclear single families.

You don't have to support public education because of altruism...you have plenty of personal financial reasons.

• Shadow5435

Shadow5435 Archange

#33697174 - 1 year ago

In reply to Priest

In reply to datalaughing

What if you live in an area where crime isn't an issue and lowering the crime rate won't raise your property value at all? 

• NeuroPlastic

NeuroPlastic FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33697179 - 1 year ago

In reply to Shadow5435

One could argue that in this case, investing in local education helps to prevent crime becoming an issue in the future - even if it isn't an issue now.

• datalaughing

datalaughing FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Always Right

#33697191 - 1 year ago

In reply to Shadow5435

I didn't say it would increase my property value. I said it would contribute to preventing my area from having crime increase, which would make my property value go down. 

But whether you have kids or not, having better schools is going to be good for your property value regardless. If you ever want to sell your house, living in the area of town with the "good schools" is a hell of a selling point.