Forums > General Discussion

Ask The Ladies/Guys

Posts (6670)

• Lamkia

Lamkia

#33629506 - 2 years ago

In reply to LadyOddDuck

In reply to SpleeSpree

I was asking about the seat, it was just seemed relevant for me to bring up the lid too.

I don't think poop particles in the air have ever killed anyone (that I know of, anyway), if anything it probably helps build immune systems.

In reply to Kikyobutt

In reply to IronBridge

Thanks! Later when I saw the pic on mobile it only looked like blackness with flecks of shiny red, so it doesn't do it justice, BUT IT'S GORGEOUS TRUST ME.

In terms of ears, I think a slight point would be neat, but not as much as in the photo. 

In reply to Fly

Since we talked about it last, I have bought male razors for shaving because they stopped selling the kind I use in the ladies version. I hated the pink anyway so it's probably better this way. I'd be interested to hear what 'girly things' guys do because I don't think we asked last time.

In reply to Fly

In reply to IronBridge
    There will be no shaming here: Self shaming or otherwise. You aren't hideous. No one is. You've gotta cut that stuff out.

To be honest, I'd like to cut out "forever alone" comments as well. Those kinds of comments don't help anyone and aren't true. I get people will have lowered self esteem and can feel a little hopeless about their situation and having a thought out conversation about it is cool and helpful, but one off "forever alone" comments tick me off (unless said as a joke).

Edit: Page 50 :D

• IronBridge

IronBridge FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Knowledge

#33629519 - 2 years ago

In reply to Fly

In reply to Lamkia

Just wanted to say, I didn't mean it that seriously, in Britain self-deprecating is probably the foremost form of comedy, you're brought up being able to laugh at yourself, because as long as you can laugh at it no problems you face are that bad.

For instance, as part of my treatment for my Crohn's disease I was given a course of steroids to take, now steroids make you very hungry but Crohn's causes you to feel pain from eating, so I was in a constant state of thinking: "On the one hand I'll experience excruciating pain, on the other hand it is a chocolate fudge cake..."

That is hilarious to me. So when I shit on myself just know that I'm always going to be joking.

• LadyOddDuck

LadyOddDuck

#33629522 - 2 years ago

In reply to IronBridge

I'm actually the same way and will defend my own self-deprecation to the death. It's more a self-defense mechanism than anything I actually believe in. I quite like myself, it's just better to head off hate from the get-go rather than give people an opportunity to really hate on you themselves.

• IronBridge

IronBridge FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Knowledge

#33629525 - 2 years ago

In reply to LadyOddDuck

It's also a whole part of my "Everything is Funny" philosophy, I can genuinely laugh at any situation, no matter how dark. You'll find a lot of Brits can laugh at very dark situations, it's how we got through WW2, but I take it a step further in believing that nothing should ever be taken only seriously, comedy lets you see things clearly. You have to look at the absurdity of situations.

For gods sake we are a bunch of highly intelligent apes squatting on a very large rock that is hurtling through space at 490,000 miles per hour and yet we feel that we are all individuals (I'm not!), if that isn't funny then I give up.

• Treanomaly

Treanomaly Absolute Travist

#33629526 - 2 years ago

I think it's just because text based communication makes it hard to convey expressions, but can be done by the words you use. I think people say self deprecating things in general conversations like ours in a joking way. I'd also like to think that if someone was having a bad time and needed some help, they would say so in a way that it was clear they actually are having a bad time.  

• Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr Keeper of Logics

#33629532 - 2 years ago

Gallows humor ftw.

f5dc9989134431d005486c4000c05986.jpg

• IronBridge

#33629534 - 2 years ago

In reply to Treanomaly

Exactly! If I wanted to say I feel down about something I would just say it clearly. Then probably make a joke just to lighten the mood a bit for conversation.

• Joron093

Joron093 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of The Forges

#33629591 - 2 years ago

In reply to Fly

Wash the dishes with my mom and grandmother, pluck my eyebrows, cook and bake, braid my hair...

I dunno, that's all I got. 

• Kikyobutt

Kikyobutt FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Beards

#33629644 - 2 years ago

On self deprecating humor: I use it all the time, but I make sure that others know that it's a joke. Text based communication is always hard to get the joke aspect across (especially sarcasm), but I usually throw a "haha" or "jk" if I think it could be misconstrued.

In reply to Fly

I honestly can't think of anything I do that is particularly girly. I do however make the dumbest noises whenever I see a cute animal picture or gif. Cute animals are my weakness.

• Treanomaly

Treanomaly Absolute Travist

#33629653 - 2 years ago

In reply to Kikyobutt

I make a weird noise when I see animals also. My ex called me on it once when I saw a calendar at the shops that had white baby seals. 

Side note, if you're looking to get lucky with some girls, that noise works like a charm  wink

• Lamkia

Lamkia

#33629656 - 2 years ago

Oh I'm totally fine with self-depreciation as a joke, which is why I made sure to add in that last note on my last post. I can take IronBridge's comment as a joke, but browsing Reddit threads in places like AskMen, every so often someone will say "forever alone" and they mean it in earnest, which you can tell by the reply comments. They don't talk about it more when someone offers help or advice and just go "Nah, Imma go sit in a corner alone for life kthxbai" No effort to change something or accept it if they don't like it. Like what is the point of that? It just makes other people feel bad (with an automatic "cheer up, someone will come someday!" answer) and seems very attention grabby to me.

• Metasponge

Metasponge Ocean Voyager

#33629659 - 2 years ago

In reply to Lamkia

It's a self-fulfilling statement a lot of the time, too.

Course I wouldn't want to hang around with someone who moans about being 'forever alone' all the time

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33629662 - 2 years ago

In reply to Lamkia

In reply to IronBridge

I have to agree with Lam on this one. 

What I don't get: While I understand self depricating humor as a "self defense mechanism". Your mechanism shouldn't trigger in a safe place though, right?

• LadyOddDuck

LadyOddDuck

#33629676 - 2 years ago

In reply to Fly

I wouldn't consider this a safe place.

• RWBimbie

RWBimbie Keeper of Poems

#33629680 - 2 years ago

First, I dont get the whole Forever Alone depression thing.  

If you are forever alone its because you choose that.  I dont mean that we should blame the victim that cant find love, I'm saying that as long as you got some money you can prioritize your spending to not be alone.  'Never find love' or 'fair weather friends' sure, but not alone.  If people believe you have money and they can get things from you, you will have people around you working hard to make you believe they like you.

As for self deprecating humor vs just depression whining, yes, they are definitely two different things.

I avoid charging up to all my credit limits- I would hate to end up forever a-loan 

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33629683 - 2 years ago

In reply to LadyOddDuck

Oh!

I guess that makes sense then. I consider it safe... but I'm a man and don't have the same thought process as women... That being said, I try to understand you guys and where you are coming from and I apologize if I've ever done anything here to not make anyone feel safe. 

• IronBridge

#33629744 - 2 years ago

In reply to Fly

I don't use it so much as a self defense mechanism, I just plain find it funny.

Also there is no such thing as a safe place.

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33629755 - 2 years ago

In reply to IronBridge

OCC is a safe place. We work very hard to keep it that way.

• LadyOddDuck

LadyOddDuck

#33629763 - 2 years ago

In reply to Fly

A place can only be safe relative to one group or idea at a time. It's complicated.

• IronBridge

#33629867 - 2 years ago

In reply to AgentValkyrie

In reply to Lamkia

Meanwhile on tumblr:

when-the-tumblr-captcha-is-triggering-yo

• AgentWashingtub008

AgentWashingtub008 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Crackpot of Coffee

#33629873 - 2 years ago

In reply to IronBridge

That would be some disasterous Alchemy.

• IronBridge

#33629874 - 2 years ago

In reply to AgentValkyrie

It is absolutely one of my favourite memes.

• Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr Keeper of Logics

#33629879 - 2 years ago

In reply to AgentWashingtub008

You're not wrong... wait, is that the symbol for antimony?

• Splee_Spree

Splee_Spree YOUR AD HERE

#33629895 - 2 years ago

In reply to IronBridge

Wait a second...those aren't genders...they're Pokémon!

pokemon_unown-600x447.jpg

Pokemon-GO-Unown-Pokemon.jpg

• IronBridge

#33629905 - 2 years ago

In reply to SpleeSpree

That is precisely all I see when I look at those gender symbol charts.