Forums > General Discussion

New Rooster Teeth Video Platform - Beta Testers Unite!

Posts (343)

• Chelsea

Chelsea FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RT Community Manager

#33695143 - 4 months ago

To those of y'all who have received an invite to be a beta tester for the new video platform for Rooster Teeth, here is a place where you can come and join up with other beta testers. 

Share your thoughts, your likes, dislikes and more. Other testers probably feel the same way! The engineers will be checking in here periodically to help clarify and clear up any confusion as well as probe your brains some more as they work through the development of the brand new video platform. 

• Xuelder

Xuelder FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Some Sort of Art Boi

#33695154 - 4 months ago

The website is great, the livestream chat is my favorite newly added feature to the viewing experience.

• Treanomaly

Treanomaly Absolute Travist

#33695247 - 4 months ago

So far, I haven't done a whole lot on there but the landing page was a bit overwhelming in regards to the content lists. 

Scratch that, I think it's just the extra genre groups. 

• EricHVela

EricHVela FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Refined like aged wine.

#33695411 - 4 months ago

Submitted oodles of suggestions. Submitted a handful of bugs. Received a response for all of them. I feel good about that.

The new chat in videos is excellent. People were actually talking to each other, not just fawning over the stream content. You know. Being a community and not just a bunch of fans.

For suggestions, I recommend sticking to what we can access. There's no point in making suggestions for the social parts of the site until we see them. It could easily be a waste of time when they are either already considering the ideas or have other ideas that make the suggestions pointless.

Also, I recommend using the short suggestions form for suggestions and leave the bugs on the bugs form. Also, consider carefully what's broken and what works but you think it would work better in a different way. The latter is a suggestion and shouldn't be on the bug report form.

For bug reports, include device, OS, and app used to access the site. Include the versions and whether it's 32 or 64 bit. On desktop devices with certain browsers, you can simply paste screenshots into the bug report. There's not enough room in the title to include the specifics of the device, OS, and app. Use the title for a summary and put the detail where it should go.

Also, don't combine stuff. One form, one issue or suggestion. Issues have to be handled separate. Submitting them separately helps them keep organized.

• Cinomari

Cinomari FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of N00bs

#33695629 - 4 months ago

In reply to user-5835349d9ef05

It was an invite for a while ago. You'll just have to wait for a bit :( 

• Xuelder

Xuelder FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Some Sort of Art Boi

#33696260 - 4 months ago

In reply to EricHVela

"For bug reports, include device, OS, and app used to access the site. Include the versions and whether it's 32 or 64 bit. On desktop devices with certain browsers, you can simply paste screenshots into the bug report. There's not enough room in the title to include the specifics of the device, OS, and app. Use the title for a summary and put the detail where it should go."

Make sure to emphasize browsers, because certain browsers *cough*Edge and Safari*cough* have sordid histories, reputations, and known issues in the webdev community. Certain browsers may make some features break because of the way the browser was coded/interprets basic CSS/HTML5/CSS (again, Edge is bad at this) and not how the website is coded and sometimes features may be unattainable or a pain in the ass to implement.  Also if it is only happening in one browser take note of what version it is, making sure it is up to date, etc.

• EricHVela

EricHVela FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Refined like aged wine.

#33696279 - 4 months ago

In reply to Xuelder

This is how I begin the details of a bug report from this device:

Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 1709 (16299.192) 64-bit, Google Chrome 63.0.3239.132 (Official Build) 64-bit

I suppose I could include the fact that it's an i7-6650U with 16GB RAM. Most of what I've found are suggestions, though. The VoD player still isn't as touch-friendly as so many other players are out there. I can tap anywhere in the player on Hulu, VuDu, Netflix, and YouTube to pause/play the videos. I have to click on the player with a mouse or touchpad, or I have to tap the player once to pop up the play bar and try to tap that little play button at the bottom left. (Yes. I submitted a suggestion for that.)

• Chelsea

Chelsea FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RT Community Manager

#33696281 - 4 months ago

In reply to user-5835349d9ef05

The open beta will be launched probably in a few more weeks after the initial fixes from the closed beta groups. 

• Cinomari

Cinomari FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of N00bs

#33696414 - 4 months ago

Video player is LIGHT YEARS better. I'm so excited. <3 

• EricHVela

#33696684 - 4 months ago

I pasted two different screenshots to a bug report. After submitting, it changed the first screenshot to the second one - 2x of only the second screenshot even though the previous had each shot once. I had to add a comment to include a replication (reoccurrence) of the first screenshot. (Used copy-paste.)

• Xuelder

#33696688 - 4 months ago

In reply to EricHVela

I had the same thing happen to me when I added an additional screen shot in another comment, it changed the previous screenshots as well.  Maybe an issue with JIRA.

• EricHVela

#33696689 - 4 months ago

In reply to Xuelder

Did you copy-paste or upload saved images? I copy-pasted. It's so much easier. I haven't tried to upload two different saved images, yet.

• EricHVela

#33696704 - 4 months ago

While the new site is in development, I highly, highly (highly) recommend turning off the creation of new groups. It's being abused by spambots in droves right now. New groups are being lost in the current mess anyway. If the site isn't going to transition some things like groups (mentioned as a possibility - the groups are a royal mess), there's little point in creating new groups if they'll be lost during the move anyway.

I have some ideas regarding prerequisites before creating content in the new social site, but that part's not available for viewing yet so there's little point in trying to address that until we see what they've got, first.

• Xuelder

#33696706 - 4 months ago

In reply to EricHVela

I was pasting clips from the snipping tool directly into the comments for mine.

• EricHVela

#33696712 - 4 months ago

TIL if you use the reference number of another of your submissions (you should get an email with the reference number if you forget) within your new bug report or suggestion, it will provide a link to the other bug report or suggestion in side the new one. Leave a space on both sides of XXX‑### for the reference number and the new bug report or suggestion will link to it if it's valid.

A bug report that I had also needed a suggestion related to it, but suggestions don't include screenshots but the bug report had what I'd want to show. So, I referenced the bug report in the suggestion to point to the screenshot example. I was surprised to find that it created a link to the other report (with status icons) for the reference number.

Cool! smiley

• EricHVela

#33696716 - 4 months ago

The comment I made on the 2-screenshot bug report changed the original two to the new screenshot in the comment. All three images are now that 3rd screenshot. Poopies. unamused It seems there's currently no way to include different screenshots in a single report. I need to try uploading them to imgur and linking them instead (but that's an extra step for everyone including devs).

• EricHVela

#33696718 - 4 months ago

Right now, I can only see the "requests" that I made at the bug/suggestion site. It would help reduce redundancy if I could search for reports and suggestions by other people before submitting one of my own. Whatever it takes to make the job easier, I'm all for it.

• iWes

iWes FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33696782 - 4 months ago

I really feel like the homepages can be overwhelming. I like it as an option, but maybe the "Recent Content" Should be more pronounced than the others. This would make it nice for fans like myself that follow as much content as I can, as it comes out.

• EricHVela

#33696787 - 4 months ago

In reply to iWes

You did submit that as a suggestion. Yes? It'll be more work for them to comb this thread for suggestions and create requests manually. This is more for us to talk to each other about stuff.

Use this icon at the top of the pages for bugs and suggestions.

zvxyTH6.png

What I am thinking (and I suggested) is a means for individuals to choose how to sort the carousels for themselves. I did get a response that the homepages will get overhauls. What we see now is very likely not what's going to be there eventually. I think that right now they're mostly interested in the VoD services primarily - start tackling things one at a time instead of all at once and start with what's most likely to be easiest to get settled before tackling things that'll take more time. I could be wrong, though.

• iWes

iWes FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33696826 - 4 months ago

In reply to EricHVela

I did submit one. I like your idea also though with the sorting ourselves. 

• SeaHutch

SeaHutch FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33696833 - 4 months ago

The new interface is sleek and I enjoy how the video player reacts to screen scaling and movement. It's also nice to see the social aspect isn't dead, but since we can't effectively access any of it I can't give my full thoughts on it yet.

• Chelsea

#33696849 - 4 months ago

In reply to SeaHutch

Right now the only "big" social aspect is comments on videos exist and there are chat rooms attached to live videos! Dude Soup is live at 4 p.m. Central today, so maybe some people will be active in there!

• mattfaltz

mattfaltz FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33696914 - 4 months ago

Things seem very good and the video player is much improved. I do have question though that I can't check myself because all the videos that would be posted today have already been posted.

In my watchlist, I can add 2 things, individual "episodes" and "shows". The "episodes" is self explanatory, as it was the same from the old site. I'm not sure how "shows" work though. When I add a "show" to my watchlist, it gets added to my watchlist and makes a shortcut to the main "Show" page. Does it do anything else than that? Does adding a "show" to my watchlist then add all the "shows" "episodes" to my watchlist automatically as they are uploaded, or do I have to manually add individual "episodes" to my watchlist like it used to be?

I'd love to see the watchlist be like subscriptions on YouTube, where all the shows I'm subscribed to automatically show up in an automated list. Roosterteeth has so many "shows" that have multiple (or more) uploads per week that being able to "subscribe" to "shows" (or even whole channels) and have them automatically put into the watchlist would be convenient for us and make sure we don't miss content.

This isn't a negative point about the site, I'm just suggesting what myself and others would love to see.

Great job so far on the site guys!

• EricHVela

#33696929 - 4 months ago

In reply to mattfaltz

I received a response that the notifications are still in development. If you haven't already, you should make a suggestion of a list based solely on subscribed shows. I suspect a lot can change at this stage. There's a lot of backlog, but until we can search reports, I think it is better to be certain and get them in early.

• EricHVela

#33696936 - 4 months ago

In reply to mattfaltz

I received a response that the notifications are still in development. If you haven't already, you should make a suggestion of a list based solely on subscribed shows. I suspect a lot can change at this stage. There's a lot of backlog, but until we can search requests, I think it is better to be certain and get them in early.