Forums > General Discussion

New Rooster Teeth Video Platform - Beta Testers Unite!

Posts (407)

• Tybierious

Tybierious FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Tybierious

#33704995 - 10 months ago

Also LOVE the video drop down! A little buggy, and a tad small, but great. the best of netflix menus and youtube, horaah

• revelsrouser

revelsrouser FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold twitter.com/revelsrouser

#33704998 - 10 months ago

In reply to Tybierious<3

• revelsrouser

revelsrouser FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold twitter.com/revelsrouser

#33705000 - 10 months ago

In reply to Tybierious

it's kinda more complicated than that. If you haven't watch some of our serial content like Day 5 or RWBY, you want things to start with S1:E1. But something like the podcast should be arranged by recency. We had to go with a uniform decision out of the gate but we'll make improvements here. 

• Tybierious

Tybierious FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Tybierious

#33705002 - 10 months ago

In reply to revelsrouser

You guys rule, many well wishes and excited for what incredible thing is next, and the final product <3

• Ffcyndrome

Ffcyndrome FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33705018 - 10 months ago

I really like the darker theme going on mainly cause it helps my eyes and also helps for late night video viewing. My conflict with the site in general is there is too much content on the main screen. A lot of scrolling both vertically and horizontally. It get's super confusing and is a little unappealing because there's just too much content presented right away. For site new comers that's gonna be super confusing mainly for what they don't know what to watch. I can see the appeal of wanting to put most of the content of the other branches on the front page so people can click through but how many branches rt has it get's a little overwhelming. I suggest either minimizing the amount of rows of content, making a single row for first timers with a mix of everyone's content (different videos from animation, podcasts, live action skits and the let's play family) or a mix of the two with different branches of the sort.

With just the link for the website on mobile it looks pretty good size wise. My suggestion for tool bar is to have the search bar or icon still on the top bar mainly for convince. Often time's I'll try to find myself trying to go straight there for searching for certain series in general or trying to figure out the name for a series or so. (Having it in the side bar is awesome still, more clicks but still easy to find.) 

Desktop view:

Main site video image (the first image you see on the site) is pretty big for comfort. (I mean yeah I like Burnie's face, but this is like an intimate interaction I wasn't expecting.) Again the site is big and filled with many videos that all have their own colors trying to attract the users eye and ends up to make one confused. Also that different channels have less majority of their content playlists and more just of every other channels playlists on their parts of the page. I can get it on the main page but for specific channel pages it doesn't quite make sense for not delving into more of the series for those specific channels.

All in all it looks fantastic currently! I've yet to check out the beta when live streams but just having a chat on the actual website instead of just heading to twitter or tumblr to comment on stuff is way more convenient.

• meelis13

meelis13 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Estonian

#33705019 - 10 months ago

I really like the theme and everything. It looks good, has decent search, easy enough to find if you take 2 minutes to get used to change. 

But autoplay (or, well, reccommended video) can get bit akward at times- for instance, i noticed AH animated episode "Geoff gets warped" reccommends newest play pals video next. And speaking of "Geoff gets warped"- its currently having highest episode number in new player (season 2, episode 23), but it should have ep. number season 2 ep 1 (i assume it was start of season).

• EricHVela

EricHVela FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Don't be a divider.

#33705026 - 10 months ago

In reply to BarnabyJonez

You can try submitting a bug request using the feedback icon (zvxyTH6.png?1) to the top right of the page. If it's not showing, use this link. Get a screenshot of the error and attach it to the request or type in the exact wording of the error. Include browser, OS, and device versions in the request. Explain the steps you took to reach the error.

As always whenever submitting screenshots, make sure to keep personal information out of the image.

(If the word-bubble icon isn't showing at the top-right of the page, you should probably submit a separate bug request for that, too. One issue per bug request. It might be a good idea to keep a text file of the OS, device, and browser information so you can copy and paste that into each bug request. Use the feedback to also submit General Feedback suggestions. It'll keep things organized for the dev team.)

• MrFanta5stic

MrFanta5stic

#33705078 - 10 months ago

Haven't seen any issues or anything, but I've only been using the beta for a little while; however, I am so glad that it finally saves my place if I leave the video!  Favorite feature so far!

• EricHVela

EricHVela FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Don't be a divider.

#33705083 - 10 months ago

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole link conversion in the comments. I'll have to suggest a change regarding the thumbnail as the svod site converted a link to this site to include a thumbnail of this portal's current front page item (Achievement Hunter portal with Things to Do). The link is going to a forum post, not the main portal page.

• WildReaper29

WildReaper29 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33705120 - 10 months ago

Only been using the beta site for a bit since I don't have much to watch until I can get my First membership back, but was curious about something. Is the "Mod This" feature going to be avaliable with the full site launch? I like using it to get an idea of how many views a video is getting, and it's also nice being able to mark comments that try to stir controversy as flamebait since it seems to keep people from falling for it and making things worse.

• Valcadus

Valcadus FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Halcyon

#33705130 - 10 months ago

Omg A video player that remembers where I was, THANK YOU SO MUCH, My favorites bar was getting a bit full

• Hippiedrink

Hippiedrink FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33705168 - 10 months ago

The new interface is delightfully sleek. I love how easy it is to navigate the menus on the left side of the screen. One thing seems a little cumbersome to me is how large the default video appears on the screen once I selected a channel.  It seemed to take up more than a whole page, and I had to scroll a bit to get to the other most recent videos. Nothing major though, I love the overall look of the new site!

• Aberryonahill

Aberryonahill FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Brett

#33705187 - 10 months ago

I haven't done a whole lot with the new site, but I've been using the Chrome cast feature a lot (which I'm very excited is a feature now)! Only "issue" I've ran into is if I pause the video for too long and the cast's screen saver turns on I can't do anything to start watching again besides hitting refresh (pause/play, scrubber, and re-casting doesn't respond). Once I refresh the video starts back like 10 minutes back from where I was. Nothing major, just something I noticed while casually using it. Overall, I love the new site, it has a great look and some cool new features!

• Metalhead612

Metalhead612 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33705205 - 10 months ago

Is there a way to turn off the autoplay without closing the dialog box every time?

• KingOfAnime117

KingOfAnime117 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33705379 - 10 months ago

Really cool so far. Maybe add a repeat feature since JT Music joined and the other songs made Jeremy. The only complaint I have is that there are still videos that are unwatchable. Some of those would be Theater Mode episode 3 and Heroes and Halfwits Pilot.

• revelsrouser

#33705381 - 10 months ago

In reply to kingofanime117

We are having some issues getting our new backend and cms to sync up. It should be sorted soon.

• KingOfAnime117

KingOfAnime117 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33705415 - 10 months ago

That's good. I'll wait as long as they come. How long do you think it will take for you guys to be ready to make it the full version of site?

• NerdTronJJ

NerdTronJJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Weapon Smith

#33705436 - 10 months ago

Love the new site in all but is there anyway to add the Mods back? I feel like that and the forums are what has been keeping most of us on the site for years... Also because I could never find if it has been brought up. Is the whole site gonna look like this or is this only a "Secondary site" for watching the videos and streams?

• EricHVela

#33705446 - 10 months ago

The social site is in the works. (That includes mods.)

The focus of this current public beta is the (relatively) simple (but not really simple) organization, function, and presentation of the Video on Demand features. (svod is in the URL.)

Start with the simpler stuff first and get them working. Don't try to do everything at once (or you end up with Star Citizen instead of Elite: Dangerous). The social stuff is more in-depth as it permeates everything and has its own series of features that need to be tackled one at a time.

• Alchemyst19

Alchemyst19 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33705496 - 10 months ago

Since the homescreen shows the newest episodes for all channels, rather than just RoosterTeeth itself, could we get the channel icons on all video thumbnails, or the channel title included along the bottom like the series name? Some videos have them, but some do not, which makes figuring out which channel a given video is from confusing. This is particularly true for series with ambiguous names, like Funhaus' "Gameplay". And yes, the thumbnail picture itself typically includes a face or some other indicator, but those aren't as obvious.

• EricHVela

#33705531 - 10 months ago

In reply to Alchemyst19

I recommend using the feedback option to create a General Feedback request. It'll help keep suggestions and bugs organized for the devs rather than the dev team coming here to create requests from scouring posts in the thread.

• KDWin

KDWin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33705602 - 10 months ago

Looks amazing so far and maneuverability, at least for me, is easy to handle.

• NinjaWithAPegLeg

NinjaWithAPegLeg FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33705623 - 10 months ago

I would love to  see more ways to organize what I watch. The ability to sort my watch list by title/name and a way to separate series added to the watch list and individual episodes. The ability to set up a queue of what I would like to watch would be great and would tempt me to begin watching content on the site vs on YouTube. 

• DavidtheWavid

DavidtheWavid FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33705635 - 10 months ago

I really don't like that ads for the store are higher than the series menu, where the series menu was/is currently a drop down box that's easy to access. A few icons is WAY less convenient than a list with everything.

• Gamer3427

Gamer3427 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold taC terceS

#33705713 - 10 months ago

So, while I haven't had a chance to do much with the beta site, I do want to give my initial impressions. I'm also well aware that the site is a work in progress, and that there's going to be plenty of changes before it's rolled out in a public release. First and foremost, I love the visuals of the new site over all. It's pretty sleek and with an emphasis on the content. The new player seems to work better than the old one, and the new look to it feels better. There's not really much to say about these other than that I enjoy them from what I've seen so far...... 

That being said, while my over all impressions are good from my limited experience so far, I do have a few things I dislike. For starters, while it could be from so many people trying to test it as a beta, it seems like the new site is a lot slower to load up than the existing one, and is quite jittery when scrolling down a page. Whether it's because I'm using an older computer, or because I have slower internet, it does take a lot longer for me to be able to access the main channels on the beta site and see content popping up for me to select it. It's not so long that it's too much of a pain, but it has some potential to be upon using it every day. Again, I'm aware that this could be a problem from too many users on a not-technically-launched version of the site, but I'm kind of worried that it's due to the site not being optimized in a way that works well with older equipment or slower internet speeds, which could prove problematic for some members of the community. Running smoothly should always be a priority. If nothing else, maybe limiting the number of items loaded on a page would help this issue......

My second problem is that we don't get journal entries posted to the main channel pages with this new site. While I do like the higher focus on content, most of the updates I see on a general basis come from the news posts. When on the Achievement Hunter channel on the current site for example, I was able to learn about the new plans for the Geoff line of shirts, without having to follow everything that Geoff posts and go to a specific page to check out the journal entry. With the new site though, there doesn't appear to be any way to even view said journal entry. Given how many news posts we've had over the past couple of years that come with important information, or from people we might not have been following before they made a news post, it seems important for there to be some such feature to maintain the communication between RT and the community. Even just a tab under the channel's new videos, (preferably between the new videos and merch rows), for recent news posts would make a world of difference in this regard......

Beyond that, I do have a problem with how much content is loaded that isn't what you're there to view the channel for. If we're on the standard main page, it makes sense to load in playlists for every channel. Not so much when we take the time to go to an individual channel's page such as Achievement Hunter. I'd much rather see the playlists on the channel be for different series that channel produces, rather than the current set up of three lists the channel I'm visiting, (recent, merch, and shows), followed by twenty, (I counted), lists of content from various other channels. If we want to view the shows and content from those other channels, chances are good we'll either use the main page, or go to those specific channels. As it stands, it feels like a step in the wrong direction, given that the reason for going to a specific channel is to see the content from that channel, only for 87% of that channel page to be taken up by content from across the site.......

I'm also really not a fan of the fact that not only is the auto play next video back, (and no way that I can see currently to turn it off on the new site), but we also have playlist and merch tabs between us and the comment sections. Neither are particularly big deals, but they feel intrusive. Particularly the merch one. I get that you guys want to sell more merch, and that we are more likely to buy with more visibility, but we get a ton of advertisements for it as is. We already have a tab for it on the main channel page, there's frequent times when podcasts will be sponsored by the store, and at least with Achievement Hunter, they usually talk about it quite a bit in videos in general when new merch comes out, and that's on top of the fact that half the times in videos when new merch comes out, we get pop ups over the videos themselves. It being between the videos and the comments section, on every video, makes it feel like we're not allowed to go even a single video without trying to have more stuff sold to us. Again, it's minor over all, but it definitely feels intrusive, at least to me.......

Over all, I love the new design of the beta site, but a lot of the actual functionality and execution feels really clunky to me currently. It's not bad, but it just doesn't feel "good" in those regards compared to the existing site. A lot of it just feels like "excess clutter" at the moment, more than anything else. That being said, there are a few things that I do definitely love. The search seems to be improved over all, (though it's still a bit finicky), and the series page seems great, as well as the individual pages for each show. I do also like that comments now have replies collapse under them. I just feel that while there are improvements, there's also a lot of steps back in the current iteration.....