Forums > General Discussion

New Rooster Teeth Video Platform - Beta Testers Unite!

Posts (343)

• Blarg2010

Blarg2010 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Nick

#33707313 - 3 months ago

I'm enjoying the new player quite a bit, it's nice to be able to use it on Chrome again! I also like the new search function--much cleaner and faster than before. I do have some issues with a few elements of the UI/UX design, though. I go into more detail in my journal entry here, but the short version can be summed up in that the new design feels much more distant. Once more community features are added, that may change, but, as it stands, it's not my favourite.

• REDbent

REDbent FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold redbent

#33707327 - 3 months ago

Also, I like the fact that the release times are adjusted to my time zone, sweet. Mahalo

• tronalfazz

tronalfazz FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Tronalfazz

#33707339 - 3 months ago

I've been watching some old "Things To Do"s and the best resolution available on most any video up to 2015 on the Beta site is 270p, while on Youtube it can be 720p or 1080p. I don't know how many other older videos that's the case for, but I thought it'd be worth mentioning.

Also, I absolutely love the related/"up next" feature at the bottom of videos; it makes it infinitely more convenient when watching a series in order.

• trishachen

trishachen FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33707355 - 3 months ago

Site: Looks and feels a lot like Netflix's home page, especially when you expand a series and you get the "overview/episodes/related" tabs. Adding a functional watchlist is also enjoyable, because I often don't have time to watch everything I want in one sitting. I also love having the option to add a whole channel to my watchlist, versus one video at a time. A feature that was present in older generations of the site was the ability to add videos to your "favorites", and I wish that would be re-introduced. 

The "Live" tab is great! I love being able to see which shows are going live and specifically when in my personal time zone. The "Series" tab is useful for discovering new channels or binging old favorites. The general "Recent Videos" bar is nice, but can be a bit unnecessary if someone doesn't consume all of the content from RoosterTeeth and their related channels. 

Content: Videos load and play a lot smoother (which I've noticed is one of the gripes about the current site), and I'm loving the minimize effect on the video itself when scrolling down for more content. I love how, upon clicking on a channel, I can easily access their newest video. I wish the "Gear" bar at the bottom of each video was specifically related to that channel, though.

This beta looks awesome! I can't wait to see what the community's feedback will change, and what the final site will look like. Thanks for making me a part of this test!

• Chrille9320

Chrille9320 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33707381 - 3 months ago

Of what I've seen so far I think the site looks great. You can navigate and find stuff easier than before and I like that, It looks clean and the feature that the video you're watching shrinks to the right corner when you scroll down is a great touch. All in all a great first impression!

• Rubbertoeing

Rubbertoeing FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33707387 - 3 months ago

I did come across bugs so far they were able to fix them. always willing to wait and see what they going to add

• Minimatt24

Minimatt24 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Matthew

#33707400 - 3 months ago

I think the video player is a big improvement, and the ability to watch the video in a small screen while scrolling down allows for people to interact in the comments without interrupting their viewing process. I do hope they add in the Recent Video archive that allows you to see every video from every branch together, because I like to watch the videos in chronological order, and with so many videos to watch, I can get backlogged pretty easily.

• Ousamaa

Ousamaa FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Mem Aleph

#33707431 - 3 months ago

I'm still experimenting with the new video player, and I just have one question, though it might seem silly -- I really appreciated the little tab that would say "watched" in the bottom right of a video I'd completed, since it was a really easy way for me to pick out new content quickly and see if I'd missed anything while scrolling through a show.  After I watched a video on the new platform, it didn't appear.  Are there any plans to bring that little "watched" icon back?

• kayl

kayl FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33707437 - 3 months ago

Only thing I can add is that please, please, include a link for the schedule of videos. It helps me stay organized and up to date, especially as a First Member. I can easily track when new videos are gonna come up, if I can view them as they come out, etc. It also gets me excited for new content, which is huge.

• kiyoguard

kiyoguard FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33707447 - 3 months ago

Loving the improvements! Allowing full screen on mobile, ability to cast to other devices, better looking layout.

Something I think would be cool is if it was made into a native app and allowed playing the video in the background like YouTube red members can do with the YouTube app. Other than that, just wrapping the website in a native app would be awesome for mobile.

• thefatcat

thefatcat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33707461 - 3 months ago

One thing I've noticed so far (and I haven't explored much) is that I can't see the upcoming schedule. As a First member, and from a different time zone, I really like seeing the upcoming videos - it makes the site more accessible and easier to navigate.

• widowsshadow96

widowsshadow96 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33707481 - 3 months ago

It appears to be taking longer for videos to become available on the new site than the old one. For instance, I can watch the RT podcast post show #480 right now on the original site, but get a message saying its not available when I click on it on the new site.

• dyslexicspaceotter

dyslexicspaceotter FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33707496 - 3 months ago

where do i go to post about bugs and glitches can somone link me to the forum/help desk? 

• EricHVela

EricHVela FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Refined like aged wine.

#33707504 - 3 months ago

In reply to dyslexicspaceotter

You can try submitting a bug request using the feedback icon (zvxyTH6.png?1) to the top right of the page on the SVOD site. If it's not showing, use this link. Get a screenshot of the error or glitch and attach it to the request or type in the exact wording of the error. Include browser, OS, and device versions in the request. Explain the steps you took to reach the error.

As always whenever submitting screenshots, make sure to keep personal information out of the image.

Use the same icon for providing general feedback such as suggestions.

(One issue per bug or general feedback request. It might be a good idea to keep a text file of the OS, device, and browser information so you can copy and paste that into each bug request. It'll keep things organized for the dev team. Be sure to read any notices on the support site. They may include information about issues already well known.)

Note: That feature is only for the beta site, not this site.

• EricHVela

EricHVela FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Refined like aged wine.

#33708160 - 3 months ago

I can't believe that I just realized that the difference between a solid and hollow star is that a hollow star is First early-viewing, to be public after a delay, and a solid star is First-only content, not to be public (except for sponsor drives).

• DiMono

DiMono FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold It's Back Baby!

#33708165 - 3 months ago

That should probably be more obvious if it took you this long to realize it. May as well submit it as a comment.

• AgentWashingtub008

AgentWashingtub008 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Crackpot of Coffee

#33708171 - 3 months ago

In reply to DiMono

In reply to EricHVela

I think there's a lot that could be made more clear or discrete with the interface. I  need to compile my list later, but for a general comment here I agree.

• ChristianSt2

ChristianSt2

#33708818 - 3 months ago

It kind of just felt like a Netflix copy and paste, not that that's bad, just my first impression.

• iamcevrus2

iamcevrus2

#33708820 - 3 months ago

In reply to ChristianSt2

That's essentially what it is, just with a sidebar, and as someone else pointed out, a row for items in the store.

• EricHVela

#33708868 - 3 months ago

The VoD portion of the site is meant to feed videos directly into your eyeballs. eyes

The social feeds like news, journals, forums, groups, pictures, profiles, mod systems, permissions, etc. are likely to be more complicated given how they all interact with each other.

Hopefully, they can find a way to integrate all that into the VoD site, but it seems to me that there are many, many users out there - possibly a huge, huge majority - who are only interested in watching stuff and little else. I'd still want a way to encourage community activities as part of the VoD stuff, though. There will be people who intend to just watch videos who'd also be interested in social stuff if they were made aware of it.

At this time, though, that's not the purpose of the beta. The VoD is possibly (but not necessarily) the easier part of the plan.

• REDbent

REDbent FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold redbent

#33709015 - 3 months ago

Has any one tried to play the new site through chromecast?

• Not_Boon

Not_Boon

#33709021 - 3 months ago

I've almost exclusively used YouTube for years now, but got the invite and decided to check out the beta site! I like it a lot - I was almost immediately able to figure out how to find all of the series I typically watch and add them to My Watchlist. Navigability is 10/10. However, one very specific thing that's a little off-putting is that in series that are more than one season long (which is most of them), they are sorted in chronological order, meaning oldest-first. So any time I want to check what the latest content is for, say, the Let's Play series, the first videos it shows me are the old Saints Row: the Third videos from 2011, and I have to use the drop-down box to jump to the current season, and then I have to scroll down to the bottom of THAT list because each season is also in chronological order. This definitely makes sense for things like Red vs Blue or RWBY, where it's an episode-based story and titles could give away plot points, but for things like the aforementioned Let's Play series, it's a bit inconvenient. Honestly, though, that's literally the only thing I've had any gripes with so far; if it was never changed I'd probably get over it pretty quickly. Looks like a job well done so far!

• Crosstails20

Crosstails20

#33709028 - 3 months ago

I haven't gotten much experience with it, but as a new person seeing it for the first time I have to say it looks a little bland, it is well organized, but it is still bland. It might just be me doing this review at school, but the background is all black and dark not making it a settling color for newcomers, if possible maybe have the background change as you scroll. like when you reach the Funhaus section the Funhaus logo will be in the back ground and when Screw Attack is in the middle the Screw Attack logo is in back ground and so on and so forth. Also maybe when you enlarge the stuff your courser is on, you can add an average customer rating to help promote your shows so others can get into it.

In the series page you can again have the logo of the channel in the back ground make it a little more interesting. Also, put the content that are more age appropriate and popular at the top, instead of the older stuff, if you couldn't tell, I am using Screwattack's top 10 series page for this reasoning. Stop screwing them over. Pun intended

and in the video page again add the logo in the background and maybe move the emoji icon to another corner for people who use grammarly. The Grammarly Icon blocks the emojies.

Other than that it is okay. At this moment I would rate it a 3.5 out of 5. At least you don't need to scroll all the way up to access the menu.

• luckymina

luckymina FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold luckymina

#33709093 - 3 months ago

one thing that is small that i found cumbersome is the video lists start season 1 ep 1, not  the most recent. It would be nice if it was  in revers chronological order, so i dont have to search through seasons to get get the the current stuff. 

• luckymina

luckymina FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold luckymina

#33709094 - 3 months ago

In reply to widowsshadow96 mine does that as well, if i refresh it loads as normal, its almost as if it does not register i am logged in as a first member that is allowed to watch it earl. But refresh almost always fixes it.