Forums > Glitch Please

Yooka Laylee

Posts (13)

• Ashley

Ashley FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold The Know

#33569445 - 7 months ago

We're discussing Yooka Laylee on the next pilot ep. Curious what everyone's thoughts are on the game?

• Austin0434

Austin0434

#33569613 - 7 months ago

seems interesting but still trying to have an open mind

• EricHVela

EricHVela FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Eric Hohoho! Vela

#33569634 - 7 months ago

I've watched people play and I can't tell if the single-player will be too easy or too frustrating. Both impressions are keeping me at bay at this time. Once I start a game that looks like that, my neuroses will likely insist on trying to 100% it. Aside from that, it looks absurd, and I'm all about absurdity (or so Marshall said). If I get the game, I'm fairly certain I'd enjoy the silliness.

• Sowab

Sowab

#33569652 - 7 months ago

I haven't played Yooka Laylee myself, but if it sparks the return of the 3D Platforming Adventure genre I can't thank it enough. It looks like an enjoyable game, but the quantity of content seems somewhat limited. 

If we can bring back 3D Platformers the next step is to bring back splitscreen multiplayer. Video games are all about fun. I feel like they've become a little too serious lately. Yooka Laylee seems to provide us with that old wackiness we really need to lighten up the industry. I'll get to Yooka Laylee if I find some time, but what I'm particularly interested in is the aftermath if the game has received enough attention. Hopefully it will inspire other developers to try out something similar. 

• RWBimbie

RWBimbie Keeper of Poems

#33569657 - 7 months ago

I dont know anything about Yooka.

I generally discover new game stuff from RT The Know & the forum, then go look at some youtube if it sounds interesting.

Case in point: I'll find out about Yooka from this show

• mattyou

mattyou FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Kingdom Hearts freak

#33569696 - 7 months ago

I havent played it yet so I don't know helpful my perspective is. 

It looks really cool and seems to scratch the N64 itch for people. But I'm waiting for the Switch version comes out right now. It just seems like the perfect game for me to take on my morning commute.

• Dopp

Dopp ROLL TIDE

#33569738 - 7 months ago

Don't have a Switch as of yet. Still waiting to see how much it's going to be supported, both first and third-party. I have less games on my Wii and WiiU than I do on any one of the other consoles, and that's just sad. SAD

• mattyou

mattyou FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Kingdom Hearts freak

#33569744 - 7 months ago

In reply to Dopp

I feel it will get a good steam of First party at least. Which is why I got it. 

And Indies seem to be coming to it at a good pace too. If I can get a steady stream of the 2 than I'm good you know. On the third party front I expect the Japanese side of the industry will support it . But I think the Western side of things will give up on it in a year or two.

• Dopp

Dopp ROLL TIDE

#33569799 - 7 months ago

In reply to mattyou

The biggest problem with Nintendo, though, is how slowly they release first party games. If they're not willing to crank out more, diverse games, then I'm not going to go through this again like with the Wii and Wii U. 

I don't think they'll ever get back to doing that, so instead they really have to try to get more third party support for this one. It'll be the first Nintendo system ever that I didn't own while it was the current system out. The Wii was bad enough that it has the only Zelda game on a console that I never bought or even played. For me to do that is sad.

• mattyou

#33569806 - 7 months ago

In reply to Dopp

I
     mean at least so far for Switch the release schedule is looking like 1 first party game a month.

With the launch having Zelda this month having Mario Kart next month Arms and the month after 

Splatoon 2. I get wat your saying but I don't think the Switch is gonna be what you want it to be.

The way I see it right now Switch is what the vita could have been if Sony kept making 1st party games for it. a ton of indies some Japanse 3th party games and a few 1st party games throughout the year. Which for me is awesome with the Switch being a companion console to my main consoles being the xbox and ps4 . But for what you want its probably not the ideal situation.

But we are going way off topic since this thread is meant for Yooka Laylee hahaha.

• Dopp

Dopp ROLL TIDE

#33569821 - 7 months ago

In reply to mattyou

I don't know how old you are, but for me I grew up with Nintendo, Sega, and then Sony being the main players. I just really want Nintendo to try to compete again. Until they decide to do that, I just don't know how often I want to shell out $250 - $300 every couple of years for their console. 

I am glad that they have a good plan right now and I'm ready for E3 so I can see where they're going with it. 

But yeah, Yooka Laylee... never played it.

• SeveRM

SeveRM FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33570138 - 7 months ago

I haven't finished the game yet, I've only got up to the 2nd World. But overall, I'd say it's a pretty good game, personally I prefer more, smaller levels like in Banjo Kazooie, as, well at least in opinion, it feels more satisfying completing lots of small levels, than spending a lot longer on 1 big level. What I mean by this is a level in Banjo Kazooie takes like an hour to beat maybe, maybe slightly longer, for 100% there's 10 Jiggies, 100 Music Notes and 2 Honey Comb Pieces. For Yooka Laylee, the levels take a lot longer, or at least it did for me on first run, with A LOT more collectibles, and a lot bigger worlds, especially after they've been expanded. 

One of the main complaints regarding Yooka Laylee was the quizzes, and I agree with that to be honest, when I heard there was going to be quizzes, I thought it was going to be more in the style of Banjo Kazooie (again comparing it to BK) where as you progress through the game, you'd get given riddles with words highlighted in it, and these words highlighted were the answers to the quiz at the end, I think that worked quite well. But in Yooka Laylee, it asks stuff like what was the first ghost writer you collected? How many pagies did you get from hivory tower? If you're like me, you don't remember and waste time frustratingly failing the quiz, before just Googling the answers. 

Overall, while this doesn't EXACTLY reflect on the game, the release wasn't great. As you're probably aware, many backers of the game reported not receiving it. The WiiU version was cancelled, my tutor backed the game on Kickstarter and chose the WiiU version, now they've cancelled the WiiU version and he has to wait until later this year (unconfirmed date) for the Switch version (since he doesn't really play on the other platforms). There were also issues with the PC release, I didn't back the game (unfortunately didn't see the Kickstarter until afterwards, don't know how I missed it...) but both the backers and regular buyers got the game at the same time. On top of that, with it being advertised as a Simultaneous release, and for consoles it seemed to be a midnight release (correct me if I'm wrong), I sort of assumed it was the same for PC. So I planned my week around the Yooka Laylee Release Date, to make sure I got everything done so I can just play YL all day on release. But it wasn't released until ~5PM (BST), 17 hours after the console version. In the grand scheme of things, not a big deal, but considering the game went gold in January, it seems odd they waited all day. Not to mention, it seems I wasn't the only one who planned my week around the release, with some people even booking time off work for it, then just sitting around all day waiting for the game to release.

I really quite enjoy the puzzles in this game, I feel like they make you think more, which personally I really like, I think the puzzles are slightly more challenging than those of Banjo Kazooie, and there's more diversity of the different types of puzzles. I guess whether this is a pro or a con depends of your opinion regarding puzzles. But personally, I love the puzzles in Yooka Laylee.

Overall, it's great playing another 3D Platformer game, and while in my opinion, it doesn't quite beat Banjo Kazooie, it is still an excellent 3D Platformer, and definitely feels like a rare-vival. Hopefully, with the success of Yooka Laylee, it will lead to more 3D Platformers, after I finish college I plan on playing through the older ones, for N64, GameCube and PS1, since I still haven't played Super Mario 64 or Galaxy, Donkey Kong 64, Crash Bandicoot 2/3 etc.

Not that this is really helpful in explaining thoughts regarding the game, but I'm studying Games Design at college, and we are using Unity, and with the game being made in Unity, I also really enjoy playing it and thinking how they might of achieved different stuff in the game within the Unity engine.

I'd be interested to know what you think of it, and if Michael isn't busy with Lazer Team, what he thinks of it if he's had time to play it.

• Austin0434

Austin0434

#33613834 - 6 months ago

I know this unrelated but how is everyone?