Forums > PC Gaming

To the Moon and other story based games.

Posts (18)

• AlexTheHimedere

AlexTheHimedere FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16121161 - 5 years ago

Alright, I'll just start of by saying this isn't a sponsored post or anything, just a simple game recommendation for a game you may not have heard about otherwise.

To the Moon is a 16 bit indie, exploration based RPG where your mission is to grant a wish. It is honestly more of an interactive novel than a game, so I won't spoil anything by going into detail about the story.

Those of you looking for a challenging, fast-paced or mechanics-based game, this is not that. What this is, is a quirky, heartfelt, tear-jerking experience.

The writing and the soundtrack are phenomenal, and the story and ideas will stick with you. It normally goes for $10 on Steam, but it's been down to $2 during sales. store.steampowered.com/app/206440

Now I ask you, are there any story or emotion based games that you know about, or that possibly gave a check on your perspective? I'd love to now of any good ones, and I'm sure others would to.

• elegantblossom

elegantblossom

#16124631 - 5 years ago

I have seen it before when it was still being made, didn't play it but the storyline does seem very good~ I like games and stories with a great storyline and characters usually~

If you have ever heard of Visual Novels, those are like make your own adventure type of books but multimedia~ They tell the story with images, sounds, music, the general atmosphere~ Some are more based on images and sounds, some are more on the text and the general impact it makes~
    Unfortunately there are two general types of these novels, adult and all-ages version~ Adult as you may suspect are actually made for older audiences and contain at least partly erotic scenes in em or their theme is erotic~ All-Ages on the other hand concentrate on the story and character development more and are for everyone having no weird themes in em~
    I only recommend such version, All-Ages ones, as I don't really like the Adult versions because most of the time they are totally unnecessary, note that some stories have both types to please every type of reader~

But don't let those other versions distract you, Visual Novels in general have great characters and great stories, you can most likely find what you like~ For examples if you like Fantasy and also Mystery in a dark, horror-like, theme then you can read Umineko no Naku Koro Ni~

I would recommend these Visual Novels, which are free, to you~
    -------------
    8901.jpg
    The Narcissu series:
    Narcissu
    Narcissu Side 2nd
    Narcissu 3rd -Die Dritte Welt-
    -------------
    true-remembrance-3.jpg
    True Remembrance:
    True Remembrance
    -------------

They are honestly very good and also heart-warming~
    Hope that you enjoy and like em, ahaha~ ^^

• JJClark

JJClark

#16124728 - 5 years ago

To The Moon is an absolutely beautiful game.

It's probably the game I've every played which has made me feel genuinely emotional. Such character comes out of those little pixellated guys that I felt more for them than I did many vapid TV show stars.

It's even got little hints of subversion in it, too! Really good stuff.

I've never looked at a visual novel, though I've been vaguely aware of them for sometime. I'm just about to pop off on a holiday, but I'll have a look at these when I get back!

• elegantblossom

elegantblossom

#16125874 - 5 years ago

Ahaha, it does seem like a very nice game~ I am usually sticking to Visual Novels for such stories~
    Btw, Visual Novels have a few endings usually which can depend on the decisions and action you take too~ Some even have extra story for those who get all the endings, ahaha~ ^^

Wish you much luck at when you decide to read em~!! ^^

• keyredacted

keyredacted

#16126792 - 5 years ago

There is another story by FreeBirdGames that is short and un-interactive, but it's still beautifully directed. It's called "Lullabye" I think.

• BattleCrab

BattleCrab FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16127023 - 5 years ago

I would say Thomas Was Alone turned out to be a surprisingly emotional game with a story and characters you care about. Which is impressive since all the characters are blocks.

But yeah, its a game I'd definitely recommend, puzzle game with a good soundtrack and character you might not expect from looking at it.

• KevinBoggs

KevinBoggs

#16134255 - 5 years ago

If you're into horror, I'd highly recommend checking out Ib, which can be located here.

Basic story is you're a young girl locked in a museum of works by an insane artist, which are slowly coming to life. VERY atmospheric, and a perfect example of how well horror and creepiness can be accomplished with minimal assets.

It's also free, so that helps.

• keyredacted

keyredacted

#16134359 - 5 years ago

In reply to KevinBoggs, #8:

I watched a Let's Play of that game. Pretty good game.

• elegantblossom

elegantblossom

#16134388 - 5 years ago

If you like "Ib" then you will also like "The Witch's House" and "Mad Father"~ ^^

• Finetales

Finetales FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16136386 - 5 years ago

I've played "don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story" (yes, that's the title, including no caps). It appears just to be a social/dating game (and there are elements of that) but it genuinely made me question the emotions I felt and how quickly I got attached to a certain character. I think it's about two hours long, and it's a free download. I would highly recommend it.

• elegantblossom

elegantblossom

#16138372 - 5 years ago

Ah, sounds like Yaoi, is it that genre~? I hope there aren't any traps in it or that all endings aren't traps~ xD

• JJClark

JJClark

#16138580 - 5 years ago

In reply to Honeycone, #7:

Got my eye one Brothers, too. Looks like the story and control scheme are both really strong - just hope the gameplay doesn't let it down!

• Finetales

Finetales FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16138636 - 5 years ago

In reply to KonTensoku, #12:

I'm pretty sure there are three different endings and they're all actual endings and not traps. There can be a relationship in it (I think you can cause it to not happen?) that could be described as Yaoi and another one that is definitely Yuri but the Yuri one is the only one that gets sexual (and not on screen). There are a couple normal hetero relationships as well (at least one which can be prevented). Lots of relationship stuff but that's not actually the main point of the game.

• RobotGoggle

RobotGoggle

#16138866 - 5 years ago

Gone Home is an especially moving game if you have ever felt significantly unloved or unwanted at a period in your life. IF you felt like you couldn't express yourself, or even if you're just a bit of a romantic.

• SleepCycles

SleepCycles

#16138937 - 5 years ago

In reply to Honeycone, #7:

You almost certainly NEED to use a controller when playing. The control system relies on using two sticks, one for each brothers. And yes, its incredible. If you want to feel the feels, this will make you feel them. Beautiful game in every way. Highly recommended, and this comes from somebody that isn't in any way endorsed to say the game was great, aha. smiley8.gif

• elegantblossom

elegantblossom

#16140009 - 5 years ago

In reply to DrivingPark, #14:

Ah, I see~ By the description I thought that it was the point of the game, glad there isn't much of it in it and that it isn't focused too much on that but instead onto life, ahaha~ Thanks for your answer~ ^^

--------

In reply to SleepCycles, #16:

Ah, so it's not playable using a normal Keyboard or not recommended because you control two people with it~?

--------

In reply to RobotGoggle, #15:

Going Home sounds like a good game, certainly caught my interest, should check it out, ahaha~ ^^

• SleepCycles

SleepCycles

#16140673 - 5 years ago

You can play with keyboard but it is a nightmare. You need to freely control two characters at the same time. Think WASD movement*2 then you need to consider the action keys for both characters and camera keys. It simply plays better with a gamepad.

• elegantblossom

elegantblossom

#16140801 - 5 years ago

In reply to SleepCycles, #18:

Wow, sounds complicated~ Like playing the Piano with two hands~