Forums > RWBY

RWBY Discussion

Posts (217910)

• Vinese321

Vinese321

#33667974 - 10 months ago

What does it mean when there are no playable sources on a video when trying to bring up one of the videos here in this website?

• torchwood_boy

torchwood_boy FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33668024 - 10 months ago

So, first post. Just wanted to say hi, I love RWBY and I'm so excited for Volume 5. 

Spring being Lionheart's daughter would be ace, but it also really shows how he'd willingly be manipulated by the enemy, rather than admit everything to Qrow. But I suspect, Salem has promised him his daughters life for his silence, if that be the case.

• Malochroma

Malochroma FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Mollymaukery

#33668997 - 9 months ago

Things I was expecting from the latest episode:

Exactly none of that.

Things I got:

All of that.

• lena27

lena27

#33669108 - 9 months ago

In reply to Malochroma

So just to clarify, did you like the episode or not? I loved it, although as usual I wish it was longer. The more rwby the better.

• Malochroma

Malochroma FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Mollymaukery

#33669151 - 9 months ago

In reply to lena27

It's already the length of a standard anime episode, and we're getting 14 episodes this year instead of the usual 12. I'd say we're pretty flush for RWBY as is.

And yes, I adored it. I like when RWBY does shit I wouldn't have predicted like that.

• lena27

lena27

#33669160 - 9 months ago

In reply to Malochroma

Do u mean how sienna Khan got assassinated? Or r u referring to Weiss getting picked up Raven?

• Malochroma

#33669228 - 9 months ago

In reply to lena27

Both.

• Splinted

Splinted

#33670022 - 9 months ago

Something that has been nagging at me for a while now was Ozpin's fight with Cinder in vol. 3. as Ozpin seemed to be winning, or at least have the advantage, as he was able to block all of Cinders attacks while landing several of his own, then Oz drops his bubble shield, Cinder fires her laser, cut to black, fights over, Ozpin's dead.  I'd say this means that either: a)  Oz is completely incompetent and got his aura burned out and died in that one attack or b)  something happened that we weren't supposed to see yet. I lean more toward option b. The best thing that I can come up with is that everything that happened with the maiden at the end of vol. 3 was Ozpin's plan (not the Vale being burned to the ground part), but we only got to see part of it. I think the plan was to give Pyrrha a small part of the maiden power then let Cinder get the rest and then fake Pyrrha's death at Cinder's hands because now Cinder believes, and therefore Salem as well,  that she is a full maiden when she's not, preventing her from getting the relic, and she believes the person with the rest of the maiden power is dead, protecting them from attack. How exactly Oz did this I don't know but we don't have a lot of information on who or what Oz is exactly or what his abilities are, but I do remember hearing somewhere that his cane has the ability to store time, whatever that means, but I can't confirm that. Or he "died" to Cinder so that he could quasi-posses her into "killing" Pyrrha while Cinder has no idea Oz was in her head and the fight as we saw it is how Cinder remembers it due to Oz's influence while what really happened was different. And as for Ruby seeing Cinder kill Pyrrha, Oz needed everyone to believe  that Pyrrha is dead, not just the villains, for the plan to work, but what he didn't expect was for Ruby to go full silver eye's, forcing him to reincarnate in Oscar. Pyrrha was also in on this plan but was hesitant to do it because she knew how much she'd be hurting her friends by convincing them she's dead. And for those of you who say that you can't bring back a dead character without it destroying all emotional weight (I believe you can, it's just easy to do wrong), after seeing how her apparent death has hurt them, she's going to have to face her friends and tell them "I lied to you".

TL/DR: At the end of the Ozpin/Cinder fight, Ozpin pulled some shenanigans, and this is my idea for what happened. 

• Malochroma

#33670034 - 9 months ago

In reply to Splinted

Honestly?

I've made my feelings on Pyrrha coming back pretty clear, but if I had to choose a res method, Pyrrha being complicit in faking her death (while highly unlikely and extremely hard to justify in Volume 3's timeline and Pyrrha's characterization) would be what I would choose. (Actually I would choose "Force Ghost Pyrrha in Cinder's mind due to Aura shenanigans," but, you know, this would be a second choice.)

Because it means that Pyrrha's death still means something. Not in what it resulted in, necessarily, but the fact that Pyrrha lied to make it happen. PYRRHA, of all people. It'd create some really good character development without sacrificing any that came of it; in fact, Jaune's grief and anger would create a strong narrative conflict as the two have to come to grips with Pyrrha's deceit and what that means for their relationship. It would also meaningfully impact how we, the viewer, see Pyrrha, without wasting her death scene.

Like I said, HIGHLY unlikely and it would be really hard to justify, but it could be a way to make it work without making her death completely narratively superfluous.

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33670045 - 9 months ago

In reply to Malochroma

Her death even with a revival will still have meaning and wouldnt be narratively superfluous.

Its hard to say exact details because method and length of time are all factors in it.

But Her death even if she is brought back has clearly effected RNJR and that doesnt go away just because she is back.

I actually recall a story on Fanfiction though I dont recall the details that dealt with this. Where a character died and came back. The people had moved on and it tore them up inside dealing with this because for the character it was like nothing had changed but for them a LOT had.

We also have to acknowledge what we take away from something may not be what RT meant at all.

So the meaning people are giving Pyrrha's death may not be what CRWBY meant or what they wanted to get across.

I saw this with HalkO when it was revealed that Louise had access to everyone's memories but wasnt aware of it nor seeking it. One Poster was so creeped out about this he went on long rants about how it wasnt okay. To the Point the author said No that is how he meant and they were taking things beyond the things he meant.

So there is a lot of factors involved here.

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33670050 - 9 months ago

In reply to Splinted

I really don't see how they could've effectively and believably faked her death. To me, it's needlessly complicated. Killing her off just like that makes more sense. And also, Ruby climbing the tower was incidental. I doubt anyone could've foreseen that.

Third, I personally believed Ozzy pulled a Ben Kenobi here, and died on purpose, to escape Salem's clutches and lay low for a while. I doubt anybody knew or even suspected Oscar was meant to house Ozzy's spirit or whatever.

• Splinted

Splinted

#33670083 - 9 months ago

In reply to FettucCR

I should have done a better job stating this, but Oz didn't mean for Ruby to be there, it just kind of worked in his favor, until it didn't.

This was more of an Ozpin theory that just happened to involve Pyrrha based on that Oz seemed to be winning his fight with Cinder, then it cuts away and he's dead. I don't see why he would need to pull a Kenobi if he's going to win the fight and succeed in protecting the maiden power or lose the fight and lose the maiden power. 

Edit: The Pyrrha stuff I mostly came up with while I was writing because if Oz purposefully lost the fight and then Pyrrha died, her death IS Ozpin's fault he knew Pyrrha wouldn't be able to run away after he had basically told her that if Cinder got the maiden powers, a lot of people would die. It's why he asked her to be the maiden because he knew she would always try and protect people, regardless of the cost to herself. 

• Malochroma

#33670119 - 9 months ago

In reply to revanninja

Yeah, sure, within the in-universe context, it sucks that she died and came back. But metanarratively, it was a waste. Especially with the relationship between Jaune and Pyrrha. Part of the tragedy was that they never got a proper resolution to their budding romance, and if she comes back, well, there's your chance to have a long heartfelt talk and smooch, Nikos!

My stance on character death and resurrection is this: do it with purpose. The death itself has to have serious impacts on all three levels of the narrative, impacts that couldn't have been told without it, otherwise the resurrection renders it permanently moot and you might as well have just stuck her in a coma for a few months. That's why, as impossible as it is within the narrative, Splinted's idea appeals to me. Pyrrha taking an active part in the faking of her own death would have serious implications for her long-term character arc and her relationships with other characters in ways that only work if the audience and the character both believe she is truly dead. Pyrrha nobly dying and then having that noble death undone because magics or whatever doesn't have that same punch. It just ends up feeling like a cop-out, like the writers wanted to have their death cake and eat it too.

Well, they don't. I take that cake and I throw it on the ground. And I throw your cake on the ground, too. All cakes go straight to the ground.

(That's also why I like the "Pyrrha in Cinder's head" theory. Not only is Pyrrha still pretty goddamn dead, but it allows for an interesting and unique character dynamic that couldn't have been gained without the death and subsequent absorption of Pyrrha's Aura; Cinder, stuck with the voice of the woman she killed. Pyrrha, stuck in the head of her murderer. The two clashing ideals would make for some awesome character development for both of them! Unlikely, yes, but really interesting.)

Perhaps its simply because I have such a different way of viewing stories that we can't see eye-to-eye on this. So many other people are so much more invested in the in-universe story, relating to the characters and their journey on an intimate, emotional level. Meanwhile I'm all up in the technical, the metanarratives, the thematic cohesions. I can't relate to the characters on an emotional level, so the idea of a character dying and coming back doesn't seem like a roller coaster of emotions. It just seems like a waste of a season and a half of potential character development. Like, no! No! You could have used that wordcount far more efficiently!

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33670135 - 9 months ago

In reply to Malochroma

I can respect the difference even though I disagree.

I dont see it as a waste of a season and a half of Potential Character development. Rather I see it as fodder for Development. 

So long as they dont just go POOF she is back then its not a waste. Jaune has clearly had issues over this whole thing and that if RT is decent writers isnt just going to go away even if next episode they revive Pyrrha.

I see the meta too but I also see the emotions which maybe our issue.

I also see how issues can arise that would sate your desires from the revival.

Watts is being hinted for Victor Von Frankenstein and he has shown himself to be petty and arrogant.

If it turns out its true Watts humalited by RNJR crafts a Pyrrha look alike to attack them. Its meant to be a Flesh Golem more or less like From DnD. But Ruby has part of or all of Pyrrha's souls so eventually the soul gets attached to the body in a sense reviving her. But Pyrrha has to deal with her new body being made from others and the psychological issues from being dead and revived.

Right there is fodder for some SERIOUS character growth on everyone's side as they refigure it out of who Pyrrha is.

So for me I cant say its a waste at all because I can see hundreds of ways they can revive her and for it to be major issues.

EDIT

And to be clear I am not trying to start the Pyrrha debate over again.

I am just trying to say I see potential both story wise and character wise for them to revive her.

• Splinted

Splinted

#33670227 - 9 months ago

On a completely unrelated note to pretty much everything else, of the teams introduced as opponents in the Vital festival, which team do you want to see more of the most? Personally, I liked FNKI, though being from Atlas and with Atlas going on lock-down, I doubt we will be seeing them any time soon. 

• lena27

lena27

#33670272 - 9 months ago

In reply to Splinted

Deff team FNKI!

• Malochroma

#33671718 - 9 months ago

Her name is Vernal (meaning "pertaining to spring" or "alder grove") and she's voiced by Amber Lee Connors.

New fave, love her.

• Spinoff55

Spinoff55

#33671848 - 9 months ago

I'm going along with the current direction w/o many complaints. Pace is good. It would be fab to see some of the prev Beacon characters return and rally (e.g., "other teams"). But I expect this will happen at the right moment. And this is such a freaking huge cast... hope the writers have a continuity editor/bible. I'm still geeking out on the obvious tech dev that's going on here. Some movements are still kinda clunky and I'm seeing a few rendering glitches here and there, but nothing too distracting. But the overwhelming reaction is - "daaamn. You can do that now..." Such potential!

Which makes my next comment all the more painful... and I'm writing this just in case a moderator can pass this along the chain.

It was a big disappointment that RT didn't bring RBWY to SD ComiCon this year - but I get it. It's expensive. However... the guys manning the booth this year were disrespectful/dismissive to the property - and overall not very professional. Plus the booth looked like a yard sale. The Con is not a party. It's pure business. Time to step up or step off. Just sayin.

• acw28

acw28

#33671864 - 9 months ago

In reply to Malochroma

Her name is Vernal (meaning "pertaining to spring" or "alder grove") and she's voiced by Amber Lee Connors.

New fave, love her.

Expect her to die by the end of the season...

• cdnl33t

cdnl33t FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33671982 - 9 months ago

Theory on something said in this episode.

so I noticed Ozcar said "cursed by the gods".  Plural, not singular. Assuming what Qrow said last season is true about there being only 2.  The brother of creation and destruction, did they both task him with stopping Salem?  If so to me that implies a third party, was involved with Salem.  An anti-thesis or devil, so to speak. 

Maybe I'm reaching a bit, but if only the brother of creation was responsible for Oz's power then does anyone else think he would have worded that differently?

• Rakolai

Rakolai FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Huntsman

#33672013 - 9 months ago

In reply to cdnl33t

It could be that when the Brother of Destruction created the Grimm, he kept making them more and more dangerous until finally, he created Salem. When she proved to be bad news for all parties involved, he and the Brother of Creation agreed to put aside their differences and made the first Ozpin for the purpose of stopping her.

• lena27

lena27

#33672053 - 9 months ago

In reply to Rakolai

The thing is how she possibly be bad news for the God of Destruction? I mean he's the God of destruction. I figured he'd like Salem. I had a headcannon that she worshipped that god.

• Malochroma

#33672105 - 9 months ago

In reply to lena27

Because she seems hellbent on destroying the one thing he ever created? Or maybe her endgame is really dangerous for the Brothers, we don't know what her goal in all this is.

• KageDono13

KageDono13 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Dark Shipper

#33672228 - 9 months ago

In reply to Malochroma

What if she wants the power of the two Gods after she obtains all the four relics?

• cdnl33t

cdnl33t FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33672421 - 9 months ago

In reply to KageDono13

it does seem that a likely endgame here is to gain the four relics for the purpose of overthrowing the gods.