SAmaster

#33631214 - 1 month ago

In reply to Monotony

Because why not?

• Monotony

Monotony

#33631217 - 1 month ago

In reply to acw28

Iunno, seems more... graphic with An. Maybe that's just me. (Which is ironic considering Pyrrha was shot in the chest with a disintegration arrow.)

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33631228 - 1 month ago

In reply to Monotony

Ms. Ren is a QT.

• Monotony

Monotony

#33632093 - 1 month ago

Hehe, forget killing Pyrrha. Blake is a hilariously notorious survivor in CQ (not necessarily a tank, unless she has lifesteal, in which case LOL), since her death proc is her clone ability, which brings her back to full and gives her invincibility for a few seconds. And the proc isn't a one-off, it's a cooldown (which is sufficiently long, if you can burst her down). As if her auto-stun from Gambol Shroud wasn't bad enough. Makes me wish I had gotten Blake. :P

(P.S. Pyrrha is surprisingly easily killable in CQ. General consensus is that she's the worst of the RWBY characters, although Ruby takes a bit of finagling to properly deal damage.)

• PaulHikari

PaulHikari

#33635955 - 1 month ago

In reply to FettucCR

Speaking of character development, a thought just occurred to me: the death of the mentor shtick. Aside from Pyrrha, there's another character who has already been through that point: Yang. Twice, metaphorically. When she foolishly jumped at Adam and lost her arm, that was "death" #1, which served to start off Blake's journey to Menagerie. Her turning away from Ruby back home in Patch was "death" #2, which served to start off Ruby's journey to Mistral with Jaune, Ren, and Nora.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33636002 - 1 month ago

So hey, who wants to talk about the Weiss trailer? 

I think RWBY has never looked better. And they fixed the 'floating' issue. Much improved from V4. I hope the writing is likewise improved.  My only issue being I felt Weiss stood still in too many ballerina poses.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33636004 - 1 month ago

In reply to PaulHikari

Except neither of those characters are mentors.

• PaulHikari

PaulHikari

#33636018 - 1 month ago

In reply to SAmaster

No, I mean that Yang is the mentor figure to Ruby and (to a lesser extent) Blake in Volumes 1-3.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33636021 - 1 month ago

In reply to PaulHikari

Yes, but that doesn't mean she's a mentor archetype, and thus subject to 'death of the mentor' tropes.

• Monotony

Monotony

#33636182 - 1 month ago

In reply to SAmaster

Aye, she was much more flashy back then. That was probably why she didn't win that lesson, though.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33636360 - 1 month ago

In reply to Monotony

Didn't seem to me an intentional detail, but I hope that's the case so we don't see it in future fights. 

I wonder what kind of anime poses Ruby would make?

• Monotony

Monotony

#33636424 - 1 month ago

I woulda thought that was the case. Recall her second encounter with Ruby, where she was concerned with her stance before she accidentally set a tree on fire. Here, she was very much in control insofar as she was able to draw from her training; the moment she lost Myrtenaster--the moment she lost her concentration--she flailed like a sack of bricks.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33636705 - 1 month ago

In reply to Monotony

I'm just thinking about it from the meta perspective. Those poses are in because someone thought they looked cool. Same with the floating in V4. So they might try to stick more of that in V5.

• Monotony

Monotony

#33636914 - 1 month ago

In reply to SAmaster

And I'm thinking from the chronological meta. So they might've gone with a less pragmatic approach for symbolic reasons.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33637002 - 1 month ago

In reply to Monotony

It's Doylist vs. Watsonian. Anyway I hope you are right since I don't want this to be the new thing detracting from fight scenes.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33637037 - 1 month ago

In reply to PaulHikari

Yang's not a mentor figure to those two, she's metaphorically a mother figure to them, more so to Ruby than Blake due to essentially having to raise Ruby herself when Taiyang was in his drunken depression stage.  Valid reasoning, wrong terms.  However, SAmaster is also correct in saying that neither Pyrrha nor Yang are archetypal Mentor figures

• BlackRose99

BlackRose99

#33638354 - 1 month ago

Wow

• Bramboecho

Bramboecho FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold The False

#33643107 - 3 weeks ago

In reply to BlackRose99

Agreed

• AlexGoodwin1

AlexGoodwin1

#33643864 - 2 weeks ago

This may not be the right forum to ask, but is there any way to figure out who animates what during each episode? We know who's on the animation team based on the credits given in the volume 4's final episode, and I know with more traditionally animated shows it's easier to tell who does what based on traits each respective animator possesses (effects work, camera angles, character designs, etc.). 

It'd just be nice to put a name to who animates the more impressive parts of the series post-volume 2.

• Malochroma

Malochroma FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Treenerd Hugger

#33643888 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to AlexGoodwin1

I'm not sure. I remember someone on the cRWBY responding to when I asked who did the Qrow v. Tyrian fight; I could dig through the comments to find it. I also know Kim Newman did the bulk of the V4E3 fight. Beyond that, no clue.

All said and done, I'm not sure there's a better way to figure it out than to just try and ask via social media "yo who animated *fave part*"

• AlexGoodwin1

AlexGoodwin1

#33643923 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to Malochroma

You don't need to worry about that. It was just a thought. I've been following some animation centered youtubers lately, and it got me curious if the same principles could be applied to RWBY. Oh well!