Forums > RWBY

Create a character for RWBY

Posts (83334)

• AlbionBard

AlbionBard FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33548891 - 5 months ago

In reply to ThePhoenixRisen

Speaking as someone who wrote a university paper on the sexual dimorphism of birds, it is also a helpful feature for predation of the birds. The females are smaller numbers per egg clutch than males and are typically camoflaged, while the males are more numerous and colourful. in addition to being mating characteritics this makes it far more likely that a predator will catch and kill an expendable male rather than an important female.

• Angelus987

Angelus987 Archangel of Prowess

#33548895 - 5 months ago

In reply to AlbionBard

Hmm... A predator. Like one of these bad boys?

striated_caracara.jpg

A Striated Caracara. Oh boy am I going to enjoy making Faunus out of one of these.

• LukePrather

LukePrather

#33548904 - 5 months ago

Quick question, which would you guys say is the most famous and deadly of these warriors. Roman Centurion, Viking, Spartan, or Gladiator. I know that there are variables that go into which would be the most deadly but im mostly looking for whos the best in general. These are the candidates for the final member of Team SCRD and im having trouble deciding so any help would be loved.

• ThePhoenixRisen

ThePhoenixRisen

#33548907 - 5 months ago

In reply to AlbionBard

You don't say? That's pretty cool I actually didn't know the part about the colour being used to mark the males as targets so the females didn't get killed. And I've watched birds all my life lol, cool info, sucks for the males though, talk about living with an actual target on your back lol. I had always thought it was just for attracting the opposite sex.

Learn something new everyday.

• Angelus987

#33548908 - 5 months ago

In reply to LukePrather

Hmm... If your going with the most deadly... I'd say the gladiator.

These men were literally thrown into the arena and forced to fight. Most died, but to those who won multiple fights their combat prowess was astounding.

Roman centurions only work well as an adhesive cohort, Spartans are the same, however they would be much better individually. And as for Vikings, they were ferocious sure, but their main weapon was surprise and fear. No one expects the Spanish-

Ahem, anyways, I'd go with Gladiator.

• Capcans2

Capcans2

#33548909 - 5 months ago

In reply to LukePrather

Roman Centurion.

• LukePrather

LukePrather

#33548910 - 5 months ago

In reply to Angelus987 Ok so if i go with Gladiator then id have Samurai, Knight, Persian Immortal, and Gladiator as my line up for team SCRD.

• ThePhoenixRisen

ThePhoenixRisen

#33548911 - 5 months ago

In reply to LukePrather

Depends on what environment they are fighting in and whether or not they are fighting in groups.

Spartans are superb warriors on their own but are almost unstoppable when in the phalanx formation in scenarios similar to that of Thermopylae.

Roman Centurions are similar to the Spartans, excellent warriors on their own but shine when in large groups and are able to use their large shields to use their battle formations.

Gladiators are excellent single combatants who use more unorthodox weaponry but aren't as good in groups because they are not professional soldiers many of them were slaves that were trained by roman soldiers. But they lack the same kind of discipline and when they did fight in groups normally they'd either pick an opponet and fight him in single combat and leave the others to their partners or they would gang up on a single target. And contrary to popular belief most gladiatorial battles did not end in someone dying from combat.

If you wanted the best of both worlds I would probably suggest Spartans as they carried both a spear, short sword and a decently sized ramming shield and they were masterfully trained in all 3. Their only real downside is that they barely wore any armor.

• ThePhoenixRisen

ThePhoenixRisen

#33548913 - 5 months ago

In reply to ThePhoenixRisen

vikings are harder to determine, most of them were great warriors but there were different kinds of vikings and they all didn't use the same weapon, usually whatever they could forge or get their hands on, but generally used hatchets, longer single bladed axes, spears and short swords and wooden/steel shields. They're armor was limited to leather armor but most just wore normal clothes.

• LukePrather

LukePrather

#33548914 - 5 months ago

In reply to ThePhoenixRisen Actually Vikings also wore chainmail...

• ThePhoenixRisen

ThePhoenixRisen

#33548918 - 5 months ago

In reply to LukePrather

Yeah you are right about that haha totally forgot about that.

• ThePhoenixRisen

ThePhoenixRisen

#33548923 - 5 months ago

In reply to LukePrather

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is which type of warrior do you like the most and think would fit best in your team?

• LukePrather

LukePrather

#33548924 - 5 months ago

In reply to Capcans2 Why would you say Roman Centurion? So far i have Gladiator and Spartan so id love to hear why you think the Roman Centurion is better.

• LukePrather

LukePrather

#33548925 - 5 months ago

In reply to ThePhoenixRisen Well you see, im basing this team off famous warriors from history and im going with the most famous and powerful. 

• AlbionBard

AlbionBard FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33548926 - 5 months ago

Minor but significant point, centurion is a rank, not a training type of soldier. It is roughly equivilent to a modern Captain or CWO. 

• LukePrather

LukePrather

#33548927 - 5 months ago

In reply to AlbionBard Im just going off the information i know so i do apologize in advance if i make mistakes. But i did in fact know that it was a rank, i was going off the reputation of those with he rank of centurion. From what iv heard they where very strong and skilled warriors.

• GenErick64

GenErick64 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Senkan Aficionado

#33548929 - 5 months ago

In reply to LukePrather

Seconding off of Al, you're probably thinking of a Roman Legionnaire.

The Spartans and the Legionnaires (depending on the chosen eras) are just about tied with their powerful weapons, strong armor, and superior tactics.

The Gladiators were just arena fodder and likely lightly armed and armored.

The Vikings in all of their inspirations are actually very weak. Being lightly armed and armored (if any armor), they only plundered and raided weak churches and villages to take what they could before any real threats could arrive to properly defend. A kind of "dine and dash" as I like to call it.

• Angelus987

#33548930 - 5 months ago

In reply to LukePrather

So you have a Samurai- Dps

Knight- Tank or Dps depending on load out.

Immortal- Ranged damage? (Immortals were well known to be good bowmen).

If this is your team composition the. You have a choice for a fourth member between:

Centurion+Spartan- Tank

Gladiator+Viking- Dps.

Just trying to give you a feel of what roles your warriors would probably fit into best.

• ThePhoenixRisen

ThePhoenixRisen

#33548931 - 5 months ago

Roman Military: Julius Caesar, Romulus, T. Quinctius Flamininus

In reply to LukePrather

Well then shouldn't you focus on individual warriors within each of those empires soldiers?

Like the following

Spartan: Leonidas I, Cynisca, Arachidamia, any of the 300 since they were the best Spartans in the entire Greece military

Roman Military: Julius Caesar, Romulus, T. Quinctius Flamininus

Roman Gladiators: Spartacus, Tetraites, Spiculus, Flamma, Crixus

Vikings:  Eric Bloodaxe, Freydis Eriksdottir, Sweyn Forkbeard, Harald Hardrada, Bjorn Ironside

• Capcans2

Capcans2

#33548933 - 5 months ago

In reply to LukePrather

I've always seen Roman soldiers as refined and powerful warriors who utilize their numbers and strategic planning to succeed. And as someone as already said, they do better in groups, and what better group than 3 superhuman teenagers based off of historically renowned warriors?

However, now that I've seen what your other team members are based off, I can see a Gladiator working really well. I really want to know what combat roles the other team members fill.

• LukePrather

LukePrather

#33548934 - 5 months ago

In reply to GenErick64 Well i still need to decide on who would be best suited for my team. Im trying not to pick the most cliches classes, thats why i limited it to only the Samurai and Knight. But finding any info on famous warriors these days is hard since all that comes up are the basic cliche ones that are overused... 

• AlbionBard

#33548935 - 5 months ago

In reply to GenErick64

In reply to LukePrather

Seconding off of Al, you're probably thinking of a Roman Legionnaire.

The Spartans and the Legionnaires (depending on the chosen eras) are just about tied with their powerful weapons, strong armor, and superior tactics. Correct

The Gladiators were just arena fodder and likely lightly armed and armored. Also fair, they are basically the MMA fighters of old rome. good, but consider them against a professional soldier.

The Vikings in all of their inspirations are actually very weak. Being lightly armed and armored (if any armor), they only plundered and raided weak churches and villages to take what they could before any real threats could arrive to properly defend. A kind of "dine and dash" as I like to call it.  Ok so Gen but no. These are hollywood vikings. Let me get you some sources. Also Vikings are Scandinavian, so you could at least have made the Dane and Dash pun.

• AlbionBard

#33548937 - 5 months ago

In reply to AlbionBard

Source 1

Source 2

• LukePrather

LukePrather

#33548938 - 5 months ago

Ok so iv only got one member fully fleshed out, but i can come up with a basic idea of what the others main roles would be.

Sumi- She is a heavy hitting damage dealer, she isnt fast or super slow, so i guess you could call her the DPS of the group.
    Knight- Yes i think tank would be best for this class, however im feeling that they would be better suited for a crowd control type role considering their semblance is the ability to summon thorn vines that produce a holy light that burns grimm.
    Immortal- Would mostly be the support of the group, using their bow to rain down suppressive fire. Their semblance isnt finalized yet but itll link into the whole "When one of them falls another takes their place making it seem as if they where immortal".

• ThePhoenixRisen

ThePhoenixRisen

#33548942 - 5 months ago

In reply to LukePrather

I'm guessing Immortal was inspired from the elite Persian immortals ?