Forums > RWBY

Create a character for RWBY

Posts (83519)

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33666100 - 1 week ago

In reply to PaulHikari

Dang it. I wanna respond to this prompt, but most of my RWBY OCs that have a romantic interest are part of a collaboration team, and their romantic interest is written by the person that collaborated on the team. The only set of OCs that has a romantic sub-plot and are both my OCs are Valentine and Nīlō, and honestly, I have such a lack of motivation to work on Nīlō (who is already under developed), I was thinking of just letting him end up dying during the fall of Beacon (and I have a tendency to get really over attached to characters to a point where I really hate even thinking about killing them off, so that's saying something). CURSE MY INABILITY TO THINK OF ANY GOOD IDEAS FOR ANY OF MY OC'S THAT AREN'T NEPHRITE!

• animexrwby

animexrwby FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Izac Neal

#33666132 - 1 week ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie I meant to be sarcastic. I am open to ideas.

• Monotony

Monotony

#33666193 - 1 week ago

In reply to animexrwby

In reply to animexrwby

In reply to animexrwby

So... age is more like "age". Which takes that off the list, only to tack on as a criticism:

Supremely ancient entities are rare and/or unique. The only beings introduced in the story with any vagueness of an age of that level were behemoths, and they weren't much more than elephants (not that a beast that weighs the same as a paladin is anything to sneeze at). The other wizened characters are Ozpin and (probably) Salem, and they are far more unique than the typical OC; they're too intrinsically tied into the lore of Remnant.

Whatever kind of love it is, it's still too close to a canon character.

• disneydcfan

disneydcfan FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Ace of Hearts

#33666283 - 1 week ago

Going to post this here since it's *sort of* OC related (in that it involves an original design for a pre-existing character). Does anyone have any ideas for what Sun's design may look like in a Steampunk world? I'm thinking some sort of brown or green cargo pants, probably either boots or fancy shoes in place of his sneakers, and maybe some brown leather for his gauntlets instead of the red armor, but I'm wondering what kind of top you guys think he'd wear (and yes I need a top since I plan on cosplaying this version of him at some point, and since I still haven't had top surgery, I kinda still need to hide my chest). Maybe something with suspenders?

• cablec

cablec FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Way of the 3rd Dimension

#33666322 - 1 week ago

In reply to disneydcfan

I imagine him wearing something like this by itself (no undershirt, or overcoat | female substitute 1 | substitute 2), with these trousers maybe, these on his feet, and maybe something like this on his hands.

I roughed up a drawing to get the picture across, scale is off for some bits here and there and the calves are major weaksauce, but I hope it isn't too bad of a concept. Took about 30 min: https://imgur.com/6EOD3KD

6EOD3KD.png

• disneydcfan

disneydcfan FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Ace of Hearts

#33666324 - 1 week ago

In reply to cablec

Thank you so much, this looks awesome! I'll definitely keep this in my references :)

• animexrwby

animexrwby FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Izac Neal

#33666437 - 1 week ago

In reply to Monotony Thanks for the feedback. I will make adjustments to my Character

• animexrwby

#33666447 - 1 week ago

In reply to Monotony I am trying my best to come up with the worst drawback for my best character. And make him seem, how can I say this? Limited.

• disneydcfan

#33666476 - 1 week ago

In reply to cablec

So everything you linked is super expensive but I think I've figured out a cheaper solution. I might draw it up later :)

• Fwee

Fwee

#33666517 - 1 week ago

I'd just like to throw in my two cents on the conversation about animexrwby's character.

In my opinion, he does not belong as a RWBY fancharacter.  The idea of an ancient grimm shapeshifter is cool, but it also puts the character on an entirely different powerscale than what any other fan reasonably creates, and it steps fairly far outside of canon.  I think it's wonderful to make OCs, even those most people call cringey.  The problem comes when you share it on the level of more reasonable characters, because you're essentially asking those you share it with to accept your character into their headcanon universe for the show.  Since we all share team RWBY in our personal universes, we generally don't share our characters that touch them or their story, so we don't 'crowd' them.  For example, if we included every character from everyone in this thread, I bet weiss would have four significant others and blake would have twelve siblings, among other problems.  My personal solution to this is to give my characters their own bubble of influence, where their story either ends before the canon protagonists or begins after it, or they are just far enough away that their actions never impact each other.

To those bashing animexrwby, I think their character is unique and cool, and while I understand your reactions, this creativity should be redirected, not shunned.

To animexrwby and others with similar OCs, try taking some of them and make a story for them in its own unique universe.  Monster traits and immortality are not something you see in RWBY characters, but it would be easy to make a world where this is, if not normal, at least a part of the lore.

As an example, there's a character ive been working on in a completely original story that i decided to transition to RWBY.  In her home universe, she is a warrior princess who can see the future though a certain kind of magic, and the story relies on the advantages and limitations of that.  When I remade her as a RWBY character, I just took her aesthetic, personality, and motivations and dropped the magic in favor of a reasonable semblance.  To give her magic or keep her status as a princess would require the warping of the canon universe.  As is, she's simply a huntress, one of hundreds or thousands across Remnant.  You can do the reverse of this, take everything that's new about Yin, like the grimm part and the bodyguard of Salem part, and use them as building blocks for the lore of your own universe where he'll fit in fine.

I don't agree that you made a bad character, but i have to admit that maybe you made a bad RWBY OC.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33666541 - 1 week ago

In reply to Fwee I don't really appreciate that what I was saying is being labeled as 'bashing'. I tried to be very nice and respectful initially, but felt I wasn't getting serious replies, nor did I feel like my advice was being listened to. This was in part based on personal messages between me and animexrwby that you haven't seen. I also already said to try and learn from other people's OCs in this thread, and essentially presented the same ideas you did, in that a character with powers like that doesn't belong in a RWBY universe. Furthermore, I explicitly stated that what I mentioned was my opinion and that keeping the character the way he is, is totally allowed if so desired. 

You could have given your advice without involving previous commenters into it, which, since you did, kind of seems like you want to place yourself on a moral pedestal by not being 'mean' about it, or 'shunning creativity', as you call it.

• jVictor

jVictor FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33666542 - 1 week ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

In reply to Fwee

I still think this is just a gag character that this person is trying to pass off as a genuine attempt.

• disneydcfan

#33666550 - 1 week ago

Why do my notifications keep saying there were like 8 responses only to come across like 3 replies? Is the site glitching or is someone here pulling our legs? 

• jVictor

jVictor FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33666567 - 1 week ago

In reply to disneydcfan

Maybe a bit of both, because I saw it this time too. Last time it happened, I'm pretty sure there were some posts but they got deleted because the poster deleted their account.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33666575 - 1 week ago

In reply to disneydcfan Yeah, I'm getting it too. Not entirely sure what the cause is.

• Malochroma

Malochroma FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Treenerd Hugger

#33666627 - 1 week ago

According to my notifications, the culprit is one "jamesjamesson." I once caught this posted making a post that said only "test." Since this is the only account responsible and it hasn't been deleted, my money's on a mod testing a new spam filter.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33666649 - 1 week ago

In reply to Malochroma Then why did that mod post a really weird OC a little further up this page? The plot thickens...

• Fwee

Fwee

#33666657 - 1 week ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

I apologize for what tone I may have injected or any implications I may have made.  My general tone was in response to what I thought was an increasingly aggressive comment thread, and was intended to encourage moderation.  I also apologize for presenting some of the same ideas that you previously had, I didn't consider how that made it seem like i was claiming ownership of them and not lending support to them.

And more generally, what is it with this forum and bots?  It seems small enough that I wouldn't think it worth the effort, but when I last checked in a while ago, most pages were full of bot posts.

• Malochroma

Malochroma FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Treenerd Hugger

#33666690 - 1 week ago

In reply to jamesjamesson

Huh.

Okay.

Please stop spamming the thread with posts that get deleted two seconds later.

Also there are a lot of problems regarding the actual contents of that post that I'll let someone else deal with.

• jVictor

#33666702 - 1 week ago

In reply to Malochroma

The contents of the post sound like they're crowdsourced from 4chan. They're better off ignored.

• disneydcfan

#33666704 - 1 week ago

Okay, so ignore my really gross mirror (my sister decided to wipe mascara and eyeliner all over it ages ago and it never came off, I'm gonna get a new one someday when I have money again XD) and dusty fan (that thing gets dusty like a month after I clean it, I hate having an old, wooden house XD), but I bought a couple of things from Party City for my Steampunk Sun cosplay, and I was wondering what you guys think. 

tumblr_messaging_oxsdu8nme_K1uz9hk0_1280

I still need to get a monkey tail and I'm waiting for my Prompto wig to dry so I can restyle it into Sun's hairstyle, and I'm thinking of adding a few things to the pants, like maybe bandages or something at the tops of the boots just to keep Sun's bandaged legs, but other than that I think this is a good-ish start? I spent almost 80 bucks on the tunic, cloak, and shoulder pad, so I intend to use them all XD

• jVictor

#33666709 - 1 week ago

In reply to disneydcfan

Any ideas on what you want to do for his gloves/armguards?

• disneydcfan

#33666715 - 1 week ago

In reply to jVictor

I've got long black fingerless gloves, and I'm thinking of putting these (brown) over them

Untitled.jpg

And thinking of replacing the pants/cloak with these

Untitled.jpg

• Malochroma

#33666716 - 1 week ago

In reply to disneydcfan

Pssst.

Consider: /Newsboy cap./

Sun Wukong would rock that shit and so would you.

• disneydcfan

#33666717 - 1 week ago

In reply to Malochroma

It's a good thing I already own one ;) (Bought it for $60 at NYCC last year)

seamonkeys.jpg