Create a character for RWBY

Posts (84102)

• Noel-Flora

Noel-Flora

#33683361 - 4 days ago

In reply to Tuckapenguin

Cute what is this one's name?

• cablec

cablec FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Way of the 3rd Dimension

#33683363 - 4 days ago

In reply to Noel-Flora

alrighty

we will be ready to give our critique once you finish your first draft and post it here.

good luck.

in other news, found this on imgur. maybe y'all can use it for "grimmspiration"

ufVz6YI.jpg

• angelus987

angelus987 Archangel of Prowess

#33683364 - 4 days ago

In reply to Tuckapenguin

Hey I'm always open to learning from a master.

That might come in handy soon too, since on of my OC's is at the moment officially getting her weapons redesigned: Ancilla and Isten Kardja.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33683366 - 4 days ago

In reply to Tuckapenguin Perhaps controversial, but in my opinion bases are AWFUL ways of learning how to draw, and encourage all the wrong habits. You're better off copying something you see in front of you (not tracing, but trying to draw what you see) than straight up drawing over a pre-made model.

• Malochroma

Malochroma FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Treenerd Hugger

#33683370 - 4 days ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Soooo bad time to mention that the RWBY production crew probably have a pre-made base they use for costume designs for the background characters to expedite the process?

(Yeah, I know, they're terrible for LEARNING, but pre-made bases do have their place in character design. Just not in the early stages.)

• Tuckapenguin

Tuckapenguin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33683372 - 4 days ago

From my perspective everyone starts out tracing. I started tracing Pokemon and Sonic and X Men. I used bases for many years but it wasn't until I got a tablet for my birthday that I had the ability to start drawing on my own. But because I had been using bases for so long I knew a lot of the shapes and lines. Good ol' Sailor Moon really helped me understand faces and pleats because I was doing them over and over again. 

RWBY is a hugely visual canon. Either I can read 'Black hoodie and jeans' for the millionth time because describing outfits is really bloody hard.... or I could print out a base and let my imagination run wild! My eyes are drawn to a doodle much more than a lumpy paragraph. I also think "Ahh! Isn't that cool! They like their OC so much they went to all this extra trouble!

The other thing to consider is not everyone wants to be an artist, they just want art of their character but don't have the money for commission or beg and harass artist. I get "do u do requests" in my inbox twice a week.  I remember being so proud of my first OC character I could share with others and would love for others to feel that same way.

In reply to Noel-Flora

Agent Indiana from the RvB fandom! Other nutty little OC!

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33683379 - 4 days ago

In reply to Tuckapenguin If you don't want to learn to draw, but you just want to set something up quickly, I don't see problems with bases or tracing. If you do want to learn, however, I think they're awful. They don't teach you how to draw something, how it's set up, how it comes to be, what parts it consists of. It only teaches you to draw over lines that have been ready-made for you. I never traced, and my art teacher made sure I did lots of copying from an example. I can't count how many flowers I've had to draw. I can draw a good amount of flowers with decently accurate anatomy (do you call it that with plants?) now. But she never made me trace a pre-made drawing of a flower. That wouldn't have taught me anything. I also myself never had the urge to trace. So I disagree with you on that part. It's okay if you feel that it helped you personally, but I think that, in general, it's awful practice for someone who's trying to learn to draw what they're tracing over/using bases for.

In reply to Malochroma Designing, yes, definitely. Saves time. Learning, noooooo. I agree.

• SmiggieBall5

SmiggieBall5

#33683392 - 4 days ago

Another update on the N character for RBBN. Instead of Noire, I decided on Nephrite for the given name. This was because the only notable color reference I could think of that directly connected to Ching Shih(the inspiration for the character) was red, because the name of her pirate fleet was the Red Flag Fleet. I didn't want to use a shade of red as her color, because the first team member's color was already red. Noire, which means black or dark, did not actually relate to her at all. Nephrite, however, is a bluish-green stone, similar to the color of the sea. Since Ching Shih was a pirate this did connect to her. My character's surname, shi, is chinese for stone, and was also Ching Shih's original surname before she took a new name. It connects in that it is chinese like Ching Shih and means stone, which is what nephrite is.

• SmiggieBall5

SmiggieBall5

#33683393 - 4 days ago

Her weapons and semblance are also complete, so now I just need to iron out her story.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33683394 - 4 days ago

In reply to Tuckapenguin

I agree with pretty much everything you said in regards to art theft. Using a piece of art without either paying for it, or getting permission from the artist and commissioner, is just flat out wrong, and has no justification. However, as someone that can't draw, I think there's a different reason that some people (like me for example), don't bother trying to learn how. It's not a fear that other people will judge my work harshly. If I were really worried about that I just wouldn't show anything I drew to anyone else until I had reached a skill level I was satisfied with enough to show. What made me give up on trying to draw is that I am my own worst critic, and while I can't draw, I do consider myself to have a very keen eye for minor details, so the combination of those two factors results in me getting tunnel vision that only sees the negatives of anything I draw.

Very frequently when I tell people "I wish I could draw", I'll get responses like "It just takes a lot of practice" or "Learning does require a lot of patience", or "I recommend this learning method", or something along those lines. Thing is, while it might partially be a problem of patience for me, it's more a matter of self-confidence. It's impossible for me to scrape together even a minuscule amount of hope that I'll improve when literally the only thing I see when I look at my drawing attempts is flaws and failures. Heck, one time I made an attempt at drawing one of those pseudo-character models (the ones were basically each body part is just some variation of an oval), and even with something as simple as that, all I could see was "This for-leg isn't proportional to the other" and "This isn't the proper figure for the outfit I imagined" (I had only made that drawing attempt because I wanted to better visualize a character outfit), and "This thing's neck is way too long" and "These erase marks are driving me crazy."

While I get how it could be frustrating to be someone that can draw having to listen too a non-drawing saying over and over how much they wish they could draw, yet not making any attempts to learn how to, I would also like to point out that, at least for me, it's frustrating hearing people that can draw tell me just keep trying and not give up, because after the hundredth failed art attempt followed by the hundredth reiteration of those statements, it starts to sound, at best like empty encouragement, and at worst like spiteful condescension. I apologize if me saying this sounds like I'm complaining. The last thing I'd want to do is come across as rude, but seeing you say "They're so afraid to try" made me feel like I should provide a little perspective into the mindset of what can cause a person to give up on trying.

I apologize for the text wall, and the potentially whiny attitude it may have implied. I tend to get ramble-y when it comes to topics that I have very strong feelings on.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33683396 - 4 days ago

In reply to SmiggieBall5

I have an OC named Nephrite too! Only he's a guy. Huzzah for the underrated green mineral!

Also, sorry for the double post.

• SmiggieBall5

SmiggieBall5

#33683401 - 4 days ago

whats the oc?

• SmiggieBall5

SmiggieBall5

#33683402 - 4 days ago

For comparison's sake

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33683408 - 4 days ago

In reply to SmiggieBall5

Here's his bio. The history section needs updated a bit, but nothing in it contradicts the changes that I'm going to make.

Name: Nephrite Sin (first name is a type of jade)
    Nickname: He is sometimes referred to as "Captain Painful" by his teammates (explained further in the Personality section).
    Race: Human
    Symbol: 
    click here to see symbol
    Appearance/Concept Art: Messy jet black hair styled as depicted below, green eyes (I really don't know what to call that specific shade of green), pale complexion, small scar on right cheek, regular bandage on nose and white square bandage on left cheek (he probably doesn't need them anymore, he probably just wears them because he's gotten use to them and thinks they look cool), green tank top (again, I don't know what to call that shade of green), mud brown denim vest with pockets, metal skull and cross bone necklace, black ear and mic piece wore in left ear, rather scrawny build, blue jeans, black combat boots, 5' 9", sometimes wears sunglasses

click here to see concept art

click here to see art by soundless soul

History: Nephrite’s childhood was a rather complicated one. His parents ran a secret smuggling ring, known by its followers as The Sin-dicate (a combination of the family name and the word syndicate), that supplies an underground community of people in poverty. Because of them leading smuggling missions, sometimes both of Nephrite’s parents wouldn’t be around, so he spent part of his childhood being taken care of by his aunt and uncle.

While staying with his aunt and uncle, Nephrite and his cousin, Tatiana, became very close, and Nephrite took on a sort of big brother role in Tatiana’s life. He would often try to cheer her up when she was sad or make up stories to entertain her when they were little. Nephrite’s uncle also gave him and Tatiana some self-defense/fighting lessons in between his huntsman missions, allowing him to develop the fighting skills he uses nowadays.

When Nephrite’s parents were around, they raised him to be the next leader of The Sin-dicate, encouraging him to help people in poverty, even by operating outside of the law, as well as expanding his repertoire of fighting skills.

When Nephrite turned 16, his parents gave him his current weapons, a set of duel wielded Apache Revolvers, and gave him extensive training with them. In between his training courses with his new weapon, Nephrite began getting more involved with The Sin-dicate, going on smuggling missions with his parents and even attending celebratory parties when a mission went successfully. It was through these parties that Nephrite was first introduced to alcohol, and over time he developed a habit of drinking a lot at parties. 

Once he turned 18, Nephrite inherited the title of leader of the Vale branch of The Sin-dicate, while his parents moved to start another branch in Vacuo, and Nephrite has been running The Sin-dicate with proficiency (and an affinity for alcoholic beverages) ever since. While he doesn’t keep in touch with Tatiana as much as he used to, the two do occasionally write to each other, and Nephrite is always willing to help his cousin out.

Personality: Nephrite is a sarcastic little shit that can never get enough of the party life. While he takes his job as leader of The SIN-dicate very seriously, he never lets that get in the way of his fun loving, chaos creating side. Nephrite is also a bit of a flirt. He will hit on almost any girl he sees. He will usually stop after being rejected, however his naturally optimistic personality allows him to bounce back almost instantaneously, resulting in him flirting with the very next girl he sees.

In spite of Nephrite's liberal flirting, there is one girl in particular that he has intentionally flirted with multiple times, in spite of rejection; his Second-in-Command, Modry Hrich. Nephrite's primary reason for this is that he believes Modry is simply being too tsundere too show her real feelings (not his exact thought, but basically the gist of it stated in an easy to understand way). That, and he enjoys seeing her aggravated reactions to his harmless teasing.

Nephrite's the type of person that, if two of his team members got in to a mild argument over something trivial (the kind of fight that couldn't potentially cause any permanent damage to their friendship), rather than trying to stop the argument as soon as possible, he would sit on the side lines with a bucket of popcorn.

To top it all off, Nephrite has a tendency to be a bit narcissistic. Drunk tendencies he has, lack of self confidence, he does not. However Nephrite is fully aware that his narcissism annoys his teammates from time to time, and will sometimes exaggerate it just to be the annoying little shit he was born to be. One of his stunts that annoys his teammates the most is when he'll just randomly start looking at himself in a mirror and compliment himself for hours on end.

However, for all his teasing and joke making, Nephrite, underneath all that sarcasm, is a very caring individual. His time acting as a big brother to his cousin, Tatiana, led him to have a bit of a big brother instinct towards everyone he cares about. While he'll be his usual, trashy self under normal circumstances, if any of his friends, teammates or family were to be injured, he would show his more serious, protective side.

Weapon of Choice/Fighting Style: Al and Moran (duel wielded Apache Revolvers)
    Despite Nephrite's scrawny appearance, he's actually a very skilled light weight brawler. His specialty is dodging blows sent his way with incredible reflexive skills, as well as speed and agility, and landing as many punches as he can in between dodges. This is why Nephrite prefers to use the brass knuckle part of his weapon rather than the knife or gun whenever he can. While Nephrite is trained in his weapon well enough to know how to effectively use all it's functions, his love for being in his opponent's face makes him default to throwing punches.

While Nephrite's specialty is fist to fist brawling, he is also skilled in effectively using knife fighting skills, though the knife is his least favorite part of his weapon. The actual revolver part of his weapon is always kept loaded with dust bullets, which Nephrite, being surprisingly clever despite his reckless habits, prefers to use for more practical, mission related practices, rather than fighting. While he can use these bullets to his advantage in a fight, Nephrite usually uses them in very specific ways to help in thieving missions that the SIN-dicate orchestrates.

For example, Nephrite will often use the fire dust bullets to blast an emergency escape route for him and his colleges should they get caught. He'll often launch an ice dust bullet at a door to keep the security guards that he often has to sneak past out of a certain room if he believes he'll be in their for a while, and in real emergencies, he'll use steam dust bullets to create a make-shift smoke screen to help in an escape.

Nephrite usually carries back-up ammunition in his vest pockets, though not usually a very large amount. As a result, he is even more dependent on the knife and brass knuckle features of his weapon. However, what Nephrite might be even more reliant on is his opponent having a short temper, and his loud mouth. When caught on a mission, and forced to fight his way out, Nephrite will often taunt his attackers with witty banter and sarcastic remarks meant to irritate and annoy in nearly anyway he can think of.

While this tactic sometimes works, it has also caused him to get into some more difficult situations. On multiple occasion, Nephrite's taunting has resulted in him having to deal with a very angry heavy hitter. While Nephrite is exceptionally good at dodging, he is something of a glass cannon, not being able to take more that two or three really harsh hits. Against a weaker opponent, he can last longer, but all it takes is a handful of well placed punches from a heavy weight and he'll probably be out for the count.

Semblance: Poison Immunity
    Nephrite’s semblance gives him the ability to consciously cure himself of toxic substances. By triggering his semblance, his aura creates an antidote effect that counters any toxins currently in his system, with more aura being used to cure more potent poisons. His semblance also consumes more aura to cure more areas of the body. For example, a deadly poison would require more aura to cure than a tranquilizer dart, and it would take less aura to cure if the poison has only afflicted just the arm rather than half the body. Nephrite rarely has to use this semblance because he's actually been poisoned, and more often uses it because it has the added effect of helping him sober up after a long night of drinking.

Likes: Alcoholic beverages, Loud music, Modry, Spicy and/or sour foods
    Dislikes: Silence, Bitter food, Kill-joys, Geese
    Other Trivia: Doesn't even realize he has a crush on Modry. His weapons are named after the famous gang leaders Al Capone and Bugs Moran. All members of the SIN-dicate have a word that means "sin" somewhere in their name.

Inspiration Song: City of Sin by Escape the Fate

• SmiggieBall5

SmiggieBall5

#33683411 - 4 days ago

Really well done. I especially like that he has very clear flaws. I feel like characters have perfect personalities too, and the creators basically don't touch on the negatives. You were able to touch on the negatives(such as alcoholism) of his character, but still made it seem like they were an integral part, instead of just adding them to make him less of a goody-two-shoes. I was surprised that you mentioned the use of steam for escapes, as that was something that I had also planned for my Nephrite to do.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33683415 - 4 days ago

In reply to SmiggieBall5

Thank you! It always makes me really happy to see my OCs receive praise. It's probably because I haven't done anything super risky with any of my OCs yet, but sometimes it feels like the SIN-dicate members just kinda get over looked when I post them here. I can't get upset at anyone for not noticing them (or failing that, not saying anything about them), but it is sometimes a little discouraging to have my favorite group of characters seemingly go unnoticed, especially when it's the SIN-dicate members (who I honestly think I am most proud of out of any of my OCs, especially for how their history ties into their personalities).

EDIT: As a side note, I've found that the best way (in my opinion) to give a character a flaw, is to have it tied to one of their strengths. In Nephrite's case, he's extremely confident, which makes him willing to take risks without hesitation, which for the most part pay off. On the flip side however, his confidence also is, nine times out of ten, the thing that gets him into trouble. Not ALL of the risks he takes pay off, and as mentioned in the fighting style section, it sometimes just results in him fighting an opponent that's not only out of his league, but also angry at him.

• finyte

finyte FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Shut Up Donnie!

#33683425 - 4 days ago

Update for Team CRNT 

Daniel is going through some finishing touches and should be posted within the next few days when I have enough time to do so

Rina has some things I'm still tweaking and adding but she will be done by next week hopefully

Oran is going through some basic editing; hopefully I can post him a bit after Daniel's updated changes

Adler hasn't gotten far in revision but I will start working on him more after I post the Daniel changes and Oran.

So how are y'all doing? I'm doing pretty good, I have the oddest urge to dress up in a tuxedo and drink tea... don't ask why but I just do...

• teamslvr

teamslvr

#33683564 - 3 days ago

Haven't been here in the longest time. Realized I can make a timeline for Sable so here it is-- 

Entry>Post Timeskip (Grimm Invasion)>Post Graduation (20's)>Semblance Peak (30's)

8U4CmFy.jpg

• Monodramatic

Monodramatic

#33683571 - 3 days ago

In reply to teamslvr

Now do a timeline of every Sable vs Gawain fight.

• teamslvr

teamslvr

#33683573 - 3 days ago

In reply to Monodramatic

That may take awhile lmao. I'll have to get Jvic's help with that one lol

• Monodramatic

Monodramatic

#33683574 - 3 days ago

In reply to teamslvr

That aside, lovely to have you back.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33683578 - 3 days ago

I feel like I'm missing out on this guy...I'm interested, what's his semblance?

• teamslvr

teamslvr

#33683585 - 3 days ago

Photokinesis, light control. I'll link his DA bio but when he gets up in age (30's) one of the few additions to it manifests out of him not wanting to be forgotten, by his own teammates. Anyone whom gets burned by his light feels pain in that area for years to come, even after the wound heals. 

https://teamslvr.deviantart.com/art/Sable-Avorio-from-Team-SLVR-578086819

Some of his upgrades that come with the first timeskip and 20's versions are found under their respective artworks.

In reply to Monodramatic

Thank you! Glad to see you as well :)

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33683589 - 3 days ago

In reply to teamslvr Oh, that's very interesting and I definitely love the lore to go with that! I also have a character that manipulates light in a similar way, but he's something else altogether. (I really like semblances, so that's why I bring that up in particular...haha.)

I found my file where I wrote a description of this semblance (it's still prone to change because this guy's bio isn't written yet):

-Sunrise: Sky Nimbus' semblance. The user has the ability to 'roll up' balls of light. Think of rolling snow to make snowballs, but with light. These balls of light, which become more taxing on the user's aura to roll up and hold as their size increases, radiate heat and light energy capable of dealing damage.

Now I'm curious what would happen if the two were to fight triumph Would one's semblance cancel the other's out?

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33683594 - 3 days ago

Oh shit...I just went to your gallery and one of your characters has almost an identical semblance (static vitality) to one of my own:

-Impulse: Tykva Mandarin's semblance. The user can generate and manipulate electric energy on a minute scale, allowing the generation of muscular and neural 'boosts' through the creation of impulses within a living organism, as well as manipulation of electric appliances.

(Nothing wrong with this of course...just an interesting thing to note!)