Forums > RWBY

I want to learn blender. (RWBY OC)

Posts (39)

• JohnMX

JohnMX FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32142413 - 4 years ago

So, I'm trying to learn Blender. I'm a soon to be modeler and animator. (Still in school) I'm familiar with many of the professional/high end software. (I did the robot) Anyway, in order to learn how to use Blender, I figured I'd set myself a small project while I'm on summer break. A RWBY OC, because, as far as I am aware, it is what the team uses. OC because I had an idea.

This thread is to chronicle the process, and a hub for advice or feedback from the blender familiar, or any skilled modeller and animator. Any feedback from a fan perspective on the overall idea/design is welcome too.

Without further ado I present my OC idea. (Name, colour and such will likely change because I imagine the RWBY team will have a 'Violet' type character in the stables already)
    0FV295A.jpg
    Still waiting on more about the world for a suitable back story. and this is just an initial concept doodle. Just needed to get something out, gonna change it up while I work. Once I have something more final, I'll take the time to draw it in the same style as the poster.

The initial weapon idea was Giant Balisong + Dual Lever Action Shotguns with a mixture of Eskrima and Capoeira for the fighting style. Although, with Adam having a Shotgun sheath for his katana, I kind of wanted to change it up a bit. So I thought Flame throwers. Then I thought, maybe those fires can be used for more propulsion than moving the weapon, maybe like a mode of transportation...Magic + Jet engine + Flame thrower...Hence the weird multicoloured thing in the middle. Let me know what you think in the poll or in a reply if you have a detailed reason for either.

• JohnMX

JohnMX FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32142414 - 4 years ago

Changes to the outfit. added more detail to the eye patch and boots. Changed the eye. Went with a kind of more formal top. Added pleats to the skirt part. Considered adding more length, but the Weapon will travel around her legs as well, Which would be a massive pain to animate with a long dress or skirt. Kept the gloves and the vest because I like them as they are for now. 68RwWlB.jpg

• JohnMX

#32142415 - 4 years ago

Edits Update. Took longer than I would have liked, but the final details got out mostly. At least until I start modelling.

Caution: huge image G523LIn.jpg

• JohnMX

#32142416 - 4 years ago

Weapon Layout update. More about getting the blade thought out than getting the handle segment worked out.

JohnMX519c2e17386d5.jpg

• JohnMX

#32142417 - 4 years ago

Okay. The model for the base character took longer than expected. But there was the challenge of working in low poly.

The head was a surprisingly huge challenge. I thought, "No prob, it's just like a normal head." and then I kept banging mine on my desk trying to get the deformation poly flow. What I'm still having trouble with is having a high poly head on a low poly body. Right now they're two separate objects.

Can anyone help with that?

JohnMX51a42398be30b.jpg

• JohnMX

#32142418 - 4 years ago

After studying Monty's twitpics, I have learned that the team (or at least Monty) uses Maya, Poser, and some other stuff. welp. I still want to learn blender so I'm still going to keep working with it, although the shaders available are different.

On a somewhat related note, I got myself a composer.

JohnMX51a6856a89905.jpg

• Jipooki

Jipooki

#32142419 - 4 years ago

I always wanted to get into this stuff, but its pretty daunting. Anyways, great job on this! its turning out really well. And yeah, there's a video out there where Monty helps a guy by converting his entire blender project into poser.

Anyways, have you come up with other OC ideas? You've got an interesting Violet concept going, although I still prefer mine over it ;)
    w5lfgu5.jpg

• JohnMX

#32142420 - 4 years ago

In reply to Jipooki, #7:

You just gotta go for it if you're going to go for it. Drill, heavens, piercing of said heavens, and whatnot.

Yeah, I saw that. I just can't afford poser. TT_TT Also Blender has some interesting features, and it the more i work with it the more i learn that people shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

What kind of backstory ideas did you have for your OCs? I think I inadvertently duplicated Weiss's before I thought more about it so started changing some things.

I don't have any other Character ideas apart from Violet's nemesis/villain. But I'm gonna see where the modelling takes me.

JGU4nTu.png

nJxBGaJ.png

• Jipooki

Jipooki

#32142421 - 4 years ago

In reply to JohnMX, #8:

Haha, I have tried, but yeah, a lot to learn, and I'm too eager to get into advanced stuff.

As for Blender, I guess it doesn't really matter, your character is looking great!

And as for backstories, they are currently in the works. I've completed half of the Rose's backstory, but right now, I'm working on more drawings. I have, however, started on a page for the RWBYfanon wiki for Team RAVE to give an idea of where they stand.

But yeah, seriously, this is really cool. Keep on going! And if you get stuck on anywhere with character design, or lore/backstory stuff don't hesitate to ask =D

• Bloodwing88

Bloodwing88

#32142422 - 4 years ago

In reply to both of you,

I had an Idea where a group of talented RWBY fans came together and made a complete Spinoff/Side story of RWBY using our own Origenal Characters and if the group had talented people then they could make a full animated movie or series to run parallel to RWBY to boost ratings on both projects and you two already have character designs, a back story and a character model, right now all I have is a few work in progress origenal weapons, but could it work, if we got a community team together?
    Or would we (or rather me since I put ths idea forward) get slated by people saying things like we (I) stole Monty's idea...
    What do you two think?

Bloodwing88

• JohnMX

#32142423 - 4 years ago

In reply to Bloodwing88, #10:

I replied in your thread.

• JohnMX

#32142424 - 4 years ago

Okay. Got an update. Character is fully rigged. Need to fix the wrist weighting. and finish the facial details like teeth, mouth, eyebrows, oh and eyes...err, eye.

hJKutFb.png

• Bloodwing88

Bloodwing88

#32142425 - 4 years ago

In reply to JohnMX, #12:

That looks awesome, great work so far

• JohnMX

#32142426 - 4 years ago

Fully Rigged and animation ready! Woot woot!

CCPNSsL.gif

• Bloodwing88

Bloodwing88

#32142427 - 4 years ago

In reply to JohnMX, #14:

That looks awesome, how will you convert it into it's second form or vehicular mode?
    I'm starting to model the crossbow but not much to show for it yet.

• JohnMX

#32142428 - 4 years ago

In reply to Bloodwing88, #15:

No vehicular mode, it's shotguns, not jet engines. I have another form of transport in mind, well emergency transport.

• Rektys

Rektys

#32142429 - 4 years ago

In reply to JohnMX, #16:

Looks great. Can I ask how long it took you to make all that. I'm currently trying to teach myself how to use blender and I find a little competition helps motivate me (like a time trail).

Again awesome.

• JohnMX

#32142430 - 4 years ago

In reply to Rektys, #17:

Like 16 +/- 3 hours. 1 day to model, 1 day to rig, well r&d a rig, and then rig it. but I worked on over a long period while I was making the character.

• Rektys

Rektys

#32142431 - 4 years ago

In reply to JohnMX, #18:

Thanks. I'm gonna get a few practice sessions in then I'll see what I can do in the same-ish amount of time, RWBY themed of course. Are you going to/ currently working on Violet's enemy? That'll be great to see.

• JohnMX

#32142432 - 4 years ago

Yeah. But first, because Blender is capable of this. I'm making a basemesh with textures and a rig so I can just add whatever for whomever. A generic person that can be varied for any character.

Then I'm making guards, villain, and ally.

• Rektys

Rektys

#32142433 - 4 years ago

In reply to JohnMX, #20:

Remember when you're done to post it here so I can praise you.

• JohnMX

#32142434 - 4 years ago

In reply to Rektys, #21:

Well. that is kind of the plan.

• Zangark

Zangark

#32142435 - 4 years ago

In reply to JohnMX, #22:

How did you give her that black outline that the rwby characters have? I remember Monty talking about it having something to do with backface culling in one of his panels.

• JohnMX

#32142436 - 4 years ago

In reply to Zangark, #23:

I'm just using the default blender render option. It's a post processing thing that will give a line based on the angle of the polygon.

• kilbride

kilbride

#32142437 - 4 years ago

In reply to JohnMX, #14:

i was just wondering how you upload animations without exceeding the sites limit of 2MB's