Forums > RWBY

Is Qrow Ruby's real Father?

Posts (87)

• Average_Luck_Human_Being

Average_Luck_Human_Being

#32935727 - 1 year ago

I know this might sound strange at first but just look at Ruby's hair.
    It has the same "black with a little bit red" colour as Raven's hair (You can see it in Volume 2/ Chapter 12. You can't see it on the Team picture with Qrow, Summer and Taiyang, though). Now I don't know this for sure but it doesn't look like Summer has this haircolour and it sure didn't came from Taiyang's side. We can be 100% sure that Summer Rose is Ruby Rose's Mother and we know that Qrow is Raven's Brother. So the only possible explaination for Ruby having the same unique haircolour as Raven would be Qrow being her Father.

Another point is Qrows appearance. Taiyang is sturdy and broad-shouldered (and blond) which fits perfectly with Yang but not with Ruby. Ruby has the same slender figure like Qrow. And their clothing style is very similar. And Qrow taught her his fighting style. And it was stated that he spent very much time with Ruby (and also Yang) and was seen as some kind of fatherly figure.
    (Seriously: if I didn't know the show and someone showed me a picture of Ruby and told me to draw a painting of her father, it would be an exact image of Qrow)

And last but not least: Ruby's surname. If Yang and Ruby were both Taiyang's own daughters, why does only Yang have his surname? Why does Ruby have the surname of her Mother?

So this is just a theory, but I think there is a certain possibility. I know: If he really was Ruby's father, why didn't he just tell her? But maybe Qrow was sent to secret missions regularly and just thought he wouldn't be a good father?

What do you guys think?

Average_Luck_Human_Being

#32935751 - 1 year ago

Okay now I just checked Summer Rose and it seemed she has indeed red + black hair, so I apologize for that. That kind of takes down the main pillar of this theory. I'm still confused about the surname thing though and you have to admit: just from the looks Qrow would fit perfectly ;P

• Nathan5027

Nathan5027 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32935889 - 1 year ago

In reply to Average_Luck_Human_Being

Taiyang and Raven = Married (unconfirmed, but likely possability), so Yang would get the family name of 'Xaio Long'; however, this would mean that when she dissapears, Taiyang is still married until she is legally declared dead. so when he gets together with Summer (they got together pretty fast, was it an existing relationship? the reason Raven Left?), they CAN'T get married, so Ruby's name is up to her mother to choose (Taiyang would get a say, but ultimately it's Summers choice) between 'Rose' or 'Xaio Long'

Average_Luck_Human_Being

#32935897 - 1 year ago

Hmm ok, I accept my defeat. So no Daddy Qrow XD

• Nathan5027

Nathan5027 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32935918 - 1 year ago

I get where you were coming from, and tbh, I find it a little odd how quickly Taiyang got over Raven (about 15 months at the longest, and that's asuming she got pregnant on the first go), especially since she isn't dead, leads me to think that:

A; Summer and Taiyang were already having an affair behind Ravens back - possibly leading to Raven leaving.

B; Summer, Raven and Taiyang were in a 3-way relationship, so Taiyang and Summer were already together.

If it's A, then it's also possible that Summer and Qrow were together, but she left him for Taiyang, depending on exact timeframes, it's possible that she would already be pregnant with Ruby, making her Father uncertain. Having your best friend and brother-in-law steal your girl could also explain Qrows drinking problem.

there are probably other explainations, but i can't think of them atm

• ravensep

ravensep

#32936045 - 1 year ago

I thought the same thing due to some stuffs (other than Ruby sharing pallet color and fashion to Qrow)

it is said that in RWBY wiki Qrow's page that before volume 2 episode "breach" release, two wiki accounts named "Monty Oum" and "Sheena Daquet" had some editing done on the page . While Monty Oum made the edit that the full name is "Qrow Branwen", Sheena Daquet made an edit that Ruby's silver eyes are connected to Qrow's eyes. Both of them were reversed as they didnt know if it was official source or not, but later Raven's last named revealed as Branwen.

http://rwby.wikia.com/wiki/Qrow_Branwen#Trivia

Of course now we see that in the picture of the old team that Summer also has Silver eyes with red and black hair so it could be that :

1. Its not true at all

2. It was meant to be but later the idea was dropped.

Qrow being Ruby's father is my one of my head canon/theories that I want it to be true but I don't at the same time. I want it to be true because the fact Taiyang(in informal language) banging half his team seems ridiculous and hilarious XD(MY PERSONAL OPINION no offense intended), but I also don't want it to be true because that's just messed up. I mean what would be the story?a one night stand? Summer went with Taiyang to help him with Yang? Qrow doesn't know that Ruby is actually his daughter?

Ruby: THATS NOT MY UNCLE 0_0??

EDIT: AS OF NOV 23, THE WIKI PAGE HAS BEEN REVISED AND THE INFO HAS BEEN REMOVED AS NO SUCH IMPLICATION HAD BEEN MADE BY THE EDIT.

You can see both the old version and the edit in question here:

http://rwby.wikia.com/wiki/Qrow_Branwen?direction=...

It seems the edit was mistaken to be implication for the connection, thus it was added in trivia that "Based on an edit by Sheena Duquette (Monty's wife), it is heavily implied that Ruby's silver eyes may be somehow connected to Qrow".

In reality however, it just meant to say that Ozpin points out Ruby's Silver eyes and her fighting technique is similar to Qrow.

http://rwby.wikia.com/index.php?title=Qrow_Branwen...

(man i got scared af cause I was like did I made that info up in my head or something).

• Nathan5027

#32936318 - 1 year ago

I know what you mean, i don't think that we'll ever find out the specifics though, 90% of the show is from Rwby perspective, no matter what happens with someones sexual escapades, you tend not to share it with your kids.

though i have wondered if Taiyang hasn't been shown properly yet due to RT not being confident with their ability to write a guy who has the Charisma/personalty/whatever to get 2 women to agree with sharing him.

• Crackker

Crackker

#32936421 - 1 year ago

In reply to Nathan5027

There's obviously more to the story than we're being shown at the moment. I have no doubt that the whole thing will be revealed to us, but not any time soon. They still have several years of Monty's writings to go through, so just be patient. ;) It's fun to speculate, though! Personally I have no doubts that Qrow and Summer had a thing. But then Yang's mother (Qrow's sister) disappeared for some reason. I have no doubt that Qrow went off to find her, being the loving brother. Meanwhile, Taiyang and Summer are left somewhat as the "Spouses left behind", and turn to each other. It was probably just friendly support at first, but developed into something more. Qrow/Raven's continued absence drove the two together as Summer took on a mother figure for Yang. Now we get to Ruby. She could have been a result of Taiyang and Summer in their blossoming adulterous relationship (To be fair, their spouses left them alone with only each other for comfort...), or perhaps she's the result of a night spent with Qrow when he returns to check up on his Wife and (I would imagine) best friend. The second possibility would indicate that Summer and Taiyang were not romantically involved, though Yang may have thought so since she was little more than a toddler when Summer died. I could see this going either way, to be honest. We don't know if Qrow was always kind of a drunk, but if he and Summer were together her death certainly could have driven him down that path. Regardless of who Ruby's real father is, the family is very close. Whether Ruby and Yang are half-sisters or cousins is somewhat irrelevant. I'm certainly curious to see how this all plays out!

• Nathan5027

#32936474 - 1 year ago

In reply to Crackker

Good point, hadn't thought of the 'spouses left behind' route

• ravensep

ravensep

#32936631 - 1 year ago

In reply to Crackker

The spouses left behind theory reminds me of marmalade boy....

• sthom0202

sthom0202

#32936870 - 1 year ago

I happen to think Qrow being Ruby's father is very possible. My reasons?

1. Ruby and Yang are not very similar to begin with. Yes, it's possible that they're just this different. But looking at other relations in the series, like Weiss and Winter, it seems like as siblings they should have SOMETHING in common. They don't. Not personalities, fighting styles, or appearances.

2. Qrow and Ruby. First, they DO share similar fighting styles, personalities, and features (slim build, gray eyes). Second, Ruby seems to have a very close relationship to Qrow, closer than Yang. Qrow taught Ruby how to wield a scythe effectively taking her under his wing. It would make sense if Ruby is his daughter with Summer.

As for my theory as to how it all happened:

Qrow was with Summer, Raven with Taiyang. Something happens (we don't know what yet) and Raven disappears. Qrow leaves on his secret mission to find out what's going on, leaving Taiyang to look after a (newly pregnant) Summer. Qrow is gone way longer than anyone thought/expected. Ruby is born and Summer and Taiyang raise the girls as sisters. Summer dies. Qrow comes back to find his lover/wife dead, and a daughter he didn't know he had. Convinced he can't/won't be a good father, and with Ruby already thinking Taiyang is her dad anyways, he decides to let Taiyang raise her as sisters with Yang. Afterall, he is grief stricken from Summer's death, can't find his sister (who he may think is dead also), and his important job places him at risk while performing an important service to the country. (Taiyang was acting as a teacher, a much safer job, until just recently). So now, Qrow drinks because he's miserable (after that who wouldn't be), treats Ruby like his daughter (because she is) and goes off on secret dangerous missions because he can't forgive himself for not being there when Summer died and still not being able to bring his sister home.

Or maybe I overthought this...lol

• sthom0202

sthom0202

#32936890 - 1 year ago

In reply to sthom0202

Also, just want to add that Qrow wears a necklace with a CROSS on it. A famous signature of Ruby's, even if her sign is technically the rose. So, there's that to. And 10:31 on season 3 eps. 3 just reinforces it. Looks like a girl and her dad, hands down :)

• ravensep

ravensep

#32937042 - 1 year ago

In reply to sthom0202

Keep in mind that even though it feels like it, it was confirmed by Monty that Ruby and Yang are indeed half-sister in his twitter.

https://twitter.com/montyoum/status/49207018973156...

So the possibility of such theories being cannon is low...unless you start making AU and fanfictions for it XD....nah they would still be not cannon.

• bluehair

bluehair

#32937376 - 1 year ago

In reply to ravensep

In reply to sthom0202
    Keep in mind that even though it feels like it, it was confirmed by Monty that Ruby and Yang are indeed half-sister in his twitter.
    https://twitter.com/montyoum/status/49207018973156...
    So the possibility of such theories being cannon is low...unless you start making AU and fanfictions for it XD....nah they would still be not cannon.

I believe he was just trying to shoot the idea down that Yang was Ruby's mother. It is possible that Yang and Ruby really do believe they are half-sisters until information comes out from someone in the previous generation proving otherwise.

• MisCon

MisCon

#32938180 - 1 year ago

In reply to bluehair

Are ye daft, man? Yang isn't a "kildren", an immortal child bred for war... How can she POSSIBLY be Ruby's mother when they are only about 2 years apart? Was this some crazy fan theory going around at the time Monty said that?

...And that's a "Sky Crawlers" reference. My personal winner for "most wasted potential in anime". It opens up with an awesome CG WWII-style dogfight, done anime justice with slowmo and crazy action angles... then mulls about for the rest of the movie telling a bland, emo story. There were only like 2 other dogfights in the whole movie, and 1 wasn't even CG, and the other was so brief that it really was just a "plot finisher". Totally awesome opening... totally lame movie...

• ravensep

ravensep

#32938220 - 1 year ago

In reply to MisCon

- No one is implying that theory, I posted it due to Monty's answer to it (which other people points out to in argument for that Qrow is not the father)

- You just had a knee jerk reaction,(happens with me too) I think Its becoming common around the internet and can lead to fight and misunderstanding, be careful.

- Ill be sure to avoid Sky Crawlers now lol.

• FallenFlame

FallenFlame

#32938404 - 1 year ago

While we may never know what Monty Oum originally planed for it, I think Qrow being Ruby's dad would make sense. Someone like Qrow- a special ops, secret organization badass- could not publicly have a kid. Think about it, if you were one of the most feared/respected/hated people on the planet, would you leave information out that said "Hey you can't even hope to touch me so here's an easy target for you"?

Not only that, but he taught her his fighting style. In times when fighting styles meant power ie. Ancient times and Remnant, you taught yours to one, maybe two people. The fact that he chose Ruby who admitted to having been hopeless before he taught her says alot.

There's also the color pallet argument, Qrow has a red cape, summer wore a white cloak. Put those together and you get a white cape or a red cloak. Although this is by far the flimsyist of argument for my theory (Her name is Ruby as in red and her dead mom wore a similar getup) it still bears mentioning.

All in all? If Qrow was her father, I would not be surprised, exited yes but not surprised, I can also see it as him simply projecting his want of a daughter or something of the sort onto Ruby.

PS Who's Autumn? Qrow says she has some kind of condition and says it in a way that it sounds pretty serious. If anyone knows please tell me.

• Nathan5027

#32938436 - 1 year ago

In reply to MisCon

I shall forever mourn the time lost watching that...that...emo-fest! and it's plot was hard to follow, and that's coming to it from Evangelion!

In reply to FallenFlame

there's a thread deditaced to Autumn theories here :-
    http://roosterteeth.com/forum/rwby/topic/3072656

• MelloLily

MelloLily FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32938458 - 1 year ago

This might have been said already, but here it is:

Yang and Ruby are half sisters, sharing the same father who is Taiyang Xiao Long.

Yang's mother is Raven Branwen, who is also sister of Qrow Branwen (Making him Yang's uncle). Qrow Branwen is Ruby's honorary uncle, not by blood.

Ruby's mother is Summer Rose.

Summer Rose, Qrow, Raven, and Taiyang all made up a team together, but it is not known their team acronym or who was leader or where they went to school.

EDIT: I didn't read the thread because I'm in a hurry, so I'm sure this was mentioned and/or known. I'm only responding based on the title of the thread. So that being said, I'm sure this is known, so this is probably just a theory then, that what we think we know isn't actually true. But I don't like to look into theories like this, honestly, when there is already released information on who the father is.

• Nathan5027

#32938651 - 1 year ago

In reply to MelloLily

Yes, it's just a theory thread, mainly due to the confusion caused by the different surnames. third post in was the explanation for the names, everything else is conjecture and looking for oddities in the canon.

we know that in all likelyhood, the facts as presented will be the final word on the matter, but some of us like to pick stuff apart and look for those 'oddities'

• MisCon

MisCon

#32938668 - 1 year ago

In reply to ravensep

Knee-jerk reaction? I meant no hostility, bro; just saying that idea was crazy. And I finally clicked the link (I didn't before because you didn't post it, only quoted someone else posting it), and it turns out is WAS a crazy fan theory going around at the time. So yeah, cool beans.

In Sky Crawlers, the main characters are children who are incredibly anime-skilled at flying alternate-history WWII planes, and are employed by a company to fight a war. They don't all realize it, but they never age (so apparently the war's been going on for a while), and one of the girl officers has a "little sister" who is actually her daughter. They never revealed if the daughter was immortal, but they did imply that soon she will catch up to her "big sister" and probably come to the realization that she doesn't age, which might lead her to find out the truth.

In reply to Nathan5027

I know, right? To its credit, it's not garbage, but it's not for me, and apparently not for many people. I get the tone they were going for, quiet, dreamy, sullen; and it makes sense when some of the characters bring this up and wonder why everyone feels like that, but... I wanted to see awesome dogfights like it opened with! Why not do more of that??

I didn't have a real hard time following the plot, however. Partly because I read the back of the box (which explains what "kildren" are), but partly because there was just so little plot, that with the emotions they were projecting, there were only a few ways to go. While I didn't exactly see the big "twist" coming, it didn't surprise me. I figured something similar was going on.

Maybe I keep getting exposed to the wrong anime, because for the most part, anime seems either hyper-kooky like Sailor Moon, or emo like Sky Crawlers, OR a more positive emo, "clildish wonder", like Ponyo. This is why I hesitated to get involved in RWBY. I had no reason to expect the epic fights in the trailers were going to be what it's all about, so I passed on it until I saw Yang in Death Battle. (9_9) Ok, I HAVE to go check this out now... If Monty hadn't been Asian, I would probably have called RWBY "not real anime", and I hear some do. Whatever it is, it works for me! And they are keeping it wholesome, too! I appreciate the lack of profanity and lewdness.

I especially like "Jaune and Pyrrha"; they are like Prince and Princess Charming, provided the Prince grows up soon (women tend to help with that!). I REALLY hope they don't go and kill Pyrrha off for the sake of "the feels". Can't we have ONE "happily ever after" couple in all of cinema?? (that DOESN'T culminate right when the camera fades to black??)

• Crackker

Crackker

#32938726 - 1 year ago

In reply to MisCon

It's an "Anime-themed American Webseries". Monty being Asian doesn't make it "Anime". :P There are more and more of these as the Japanese tropes and visual gags become increasingly popular to American audiences. Monty just understood them and how to use them better than most. Respect, yo. Ultimately doesn't matter what it's classified as, though. I'm glad you ended up giving it a shot. ;) I think it's worth it. Very fun webseries.

Sounds like you've had awful luck with Anime... One of my favorite series' is The Slayers, which people seem to either love or hate. I guess if you realize that it's SUPPOSED to be kind of spoofy and silly, it's not nearly so bad. Of course there's always Excel Saga. lmao

• MisCon

MisCon

#32938809 - 1 year ago

In reply to Crackker

Ever see Megas XLR? It's an American cartoon that mocks a lot of giant mecha tropes, like Voltron, for example. In that episode, he tries to join all the "not Voltrons" together by just shoving his limbs INTO the other animal bots, looking like he is violating them horribly...

Megas XLR, the Zorps.

Here's a clip where an angry bunch of nanobots with a superiority complex tried to destroy the earth...

R.E.G.I.S. MK-V

Anyway, since this is not a Megas XLR thread, I'll stop talking about it here =P

EDIT: So the videos didn't appear properly, so I embeded them as links. Despite clicking the "open in new tab" checkbox, they don't seem to care and will make you leave this page. I reccomend you middle-click them.

• Crackker

Crackker

#32938936 - 1 year ago

In reply to MisCon

I have not seen it, no. Looks cute. :P

......was that Michael Dorn (Worf) as the spider thing?

• ravensep

ravensep

#32939321 - 1 year ago

In reply to ravensep

I thought the same thing due to some stuffs (other than Ruby sharing pallet color and fashion to Qrow)

it is said that in RWBY wiki Qrow's page that before volume 2 episode "breach" release, two wiki accounts named "Monty Oum" and "Sheena Daquet" had some editing done on the page . While Monty Oum made the edit that the full name is "Qrow Branwen", Sheena Daquet made an edit that Ruby's silver eyes are connected to Qrow's eyes. Both of them were reversed as they didnt know if it was official source or not, but later Raven's last named revealed as Branwen.
    http://rwby.wikia.com/wiki/Qrow_Branwen#Trivia

Of course now we see that in the picture of the old team that Summer also has Silver eyes with red and black hair so it could be that :
    1. Its not true at all
    2. It was meant to be but later the idea was dropped.
    Qrow being Ruby's father is my one of my head canon/theories that I want it to be true but I don't at the same time. I want it to be true because the fact Taiyang(in informal language) banging half his team seems ridiculous and hilarious XD(MY PERSONAL OPINION no offense intended), but I also don't want it to be true because that's just messed up. I mean what would be the story?a one night stand? Summer went with Taiyang to help him with Yang? Qrow doesn't know that Ruby is actually his daughter?
    Ruby: THATS NOT MY UNCLE 0_0??

EDIT: AS OF NOV 23, THE WIKI PAGE HAS BEEN REVISED AND THE INFO HAS BEEN REMOVED AS NO SUCH IMPLICATION HAD BEEN MADE BY THE EDIT.

You can see both the old version and the edit in question here:
    http://rwby.wikia.com/wiki/Qrow_Branwen?direction=...

It seems the edit was mistaken to be implication for the connection, thus it was added in trivia that "Based on an edit by Sheena Duquette (Monty's wife), it is heavily implied that Ruby's silver eyes may be somehow connected to Qrow".

In reality however, it just meant to say that Ozpin points out Ruby's Silver eyes and her fighting technique is similar to Qrow.
    http://rwby.wikia.com/index.php?title=Qrow_Branwen...

(man i got scared af cause I was like did I made that info up in my head or something).

It Looks like I made a mistake, damm... X-X