Forums > RWBY

Is Qrow Ruby's real Father?

Posts (90)

• DrPainKiller

DrPainKiller

#33455987 - 6 months ago

While i disagree that qrow is ruby's father, they share a LOT of traits with each other that makes it seem like they are.  There may be some possibility that he is but made tai be father figure just down to his bad luck semblance.

• MaddyofRemnant

MaddyofRemnant

#33489096 - 6 months ago

My theory;

After Volume 4 episode 8 it was established that Qrow has an uncontrollable 'Misfortune' Semblance that can cause harm to those he cares about (case and point the beam that nearly crushed Ruby and would probably have killed her had Qrow not intervened).

Summer and Qrow were together, Raven and Tai were together.  Raven left Tai to go back to the tribe not long after Yang was born and Summer and Qrow tried to help Tai raised Yang.  Qrow tried to keep his distance though due to fear of his Semblance causing harm to Yang so Summer took on the mother figure in Yang's life whilst still being with Qrow.  Qrow then goes on a mission and is away for an extremely long time leaving behind Summer who is unknowingly pregnant with Ruby.  Qrow is presumed dead and Tai helps Summer through Qrow's death in much the same way she helped him through Raven's departure agreeing to take on a father figure for Ruby when she is born.  Yang is two when this happens and would not remember (I don't know about you but I don't remember anything in any detail until I was at least four).  Ruby and Yang are raised as sisters and Tai develops one sided feelings for Summer but doesn't say.

Summer leaves on her final mission and Qrow returns after she leaves.  Tai is understandably surprised and the two wait for Summer's return with Qrow trying to bond with Ruby and Yang though Misfortune often causes a few issues.  Summer never returns from her mission leaving both of them heartbroken, Qrow copes by drinking a metric f***ton whereas Tai retreats in on himself wondering whether he should have tried to stop her from leaving.  Qrow helps to raise Yang and Ruby, though due to Misfortune, and Tai having raised Ruby as his own for the past two years (Ruby would have to be a toddler when Summer died), insists to Tai that Yang has the right to know about Raven despite her young age. 

Cue Yang's obsessive search that almost led to the deaths of both Ruby and herself.  Tai is angered since he asked Qrow "numerous times not to" tell Yang about Raven causing a strain in their relationship. 

• DrPainKiller

DrPainKiller

#33489326 - 6 months ago

In reply to MaddyofRemnant A lot of things do match up to qrow being ruby's father but it just feels diffrent. Qrow is known to be secretive which ruby hates, should this be the case then that's going down shit creek fast

• Valkyrie28

Valkyrie28 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33499050 - 6 months ago

It does kind of makes sense why qrow wouldn't sick around with Ruby either and instead give her to ty. He wouldn't won't to bring bad luck onto his own daughter. I'm still not sure though.

• Midnight622B

Midnight622B

#33586155 - 3 months ago

to the "Keep in mind that even though it feels like it, it was confirmed by Monty that Ruby and Yang are indeed half-sister in his twitter."

Monty can't just say no they're totally not sisters, when we haven't got to the point in the store yet

• FerrousOxcide

FerrousOxcide FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33588836 - 2 months ago

So far, nothing has happened in cannon to disprove the theory. As it is almost everything in the story points to a Crow/Summer ship and every Paternal action Crow makes reinforces. His Sembelance if anything creates the ultimate why for the adoption scenario. If summer dies when Ruby was very young, Yang was very young too so wouldn't remember with any real detail. Then i can totally buy Tai adopting Ruby to protect her from Crow semblance. I point you all again to that scene at the end of s3 where crow kicks Tai out of the room. No uncle has that authority over a father. 

• vihuff

vihuff

#33593932 - 2 months ago

Here's what I have gathered so far through the current volumes.

Evidence for Yes:

- It almost seems like their characters were designed with each other in mind. Which would be odd to say the least since as of what the show has said, they should share no relation. But their color schemes, and body types match up. Ruby is lean and agile the same way Qrow is while yang looks like her father, being stocky and powerful. Yang and her father's color scheme also match up being mostly yellows and earthy tones. It could be a coincidence having them paired this way, but it just seems to good.

- For some, it's an easy one to explain away, but here it is. Ruby does not have her father's name. It seems strange that one daughter would have his name and not the other. Sure, this could just simply be the fact that he's married so Ruby is a bastard child and doesn't have his name. I realize this isn't our world so things could easily work differently, but in our world, all the mother has to do is state who a father is. Or in some places a father has to claim a child, but either way, it shouldn't have been that hard for Ruby to get his name, should Tai actually want that. But, if he's not her dad, he wouldn't have much reason to have actually claimed her and given her his name.

- Qrow always seems to be there when she needs him. Despite the fact that he's always running out on mission. This again, could just be a coincidence, but it's been shown, in bits and pieces and especially the fourth volume, that Qrow watches over her. From a distance, sure, but he's there, and it makes me wonder. How many times was he around and she didn't know it. Especially now that we know that he can transform. Who's going to a notice a Qrow in a tree when playing in the yard?

- He taught her to use the scythe. This seems hugely important. As ozpin says it's one of the most difficult and dangerous weapons. He's only ever seen one other person that can wield it as well as she can. Qrow. Tai taught yang to fight and trained with her, while Qrow taught Ruby. Apparently Qrow was a teacher at one point but he never taught any of the others to use the scythe. Only Ruby. Maybe he wanted to pass some of his knowledge onto her. He could have seen some of himself or her great potential. Another coincidence that they paired the girls off again?

- His speed. Qrow is extremely fast. His moves and reactions are almost faster than those of the attack. It's like he's anticipating them. When he goes to attack the griffon at Ironwood's back, everything is slowed down for us to see. Even as we watch in slow mo, his strike is still a blur, faster than the eye can see. This leads me to Ruby's semblance. Sure, she may not have inherited the misfortune of Qrow, but maybe a strong trait manifested itself in her. Is it possible that she inherited his great speed and it was amplified in her to become her semblance? I'm not sure, but it's food for thought.

- He seems to know so much more about her, her mother, and her abilities that Tai. Maybe it;s just the fact that Tai doesn't talk about them and Qrow does, but sometimes it almost seems like Tai is in the dark. Which doesn't make sense if that's his daughter. He should know something. But then again, maybe Oz and his people just decided not to tell him. It just seems more likely that Qrow is her father.

- The little moments. Why did he have to ask Tai for a moment to talk to Ruby alone? Is it just because of her abilities and he didn't want to share in front of him? Why not? If Tai really is her father he'd have a right to know. Maybe Qrow wanted to talk to her alone because he is her father and he's filling her in. This most recent volume packed full of little moments. Tender moments. Bonding moments. Dialogue that can be interpreted differently. One that catches me is when tyrion is attacking them and Ruby's Aura has just dispelled. If she gets hit at that point. She'll be hurt, or killed. Qrow comes flying in and he seems so desperate to get there. He manages to get between Ruby and Tyrion just in time. The frustration on his face and then the flash of a smile as he standing there. Then the sigh before he says hi. It's almost as if he's thinking of the fact that he almost didn't make it and then feeling relief that he did. I just died when I saw this moment. It's so small but it just spoke volumes.

Why would he have left?

- He's part of a secret group trying to protect the world. This would have made him very busy. Not only that but if you add on his semblance making it so that he is afraid to be near those he cares about. It makes sense that he would have trusted his best friend/team mate/brother in law with his love and his daughter. Qrow would either have been away on missions or have had to watch from a distance. Qrow would have wanted them to have a home. Summer knows and trusts Tai and at this point Raven is gone, so Yang would have needed a mother.

Also, this could be entirely off and random but it's something that's popped into my head. What if the reason for all of Qrows drinking is because he lost Summer? Or because he's put himself in this position where he's forced to stay away from and lie to his daughter? Could be wrong. He could just be an alcoholic. But Qrow just seems like the kind that's drinking to forget something. A tortured soul.

Sorry for the word vomit. And I'm sure there are some things I missed. I also know that most of these could be refuted in some way or another but in the most recent volume has just thrown so much emotional stuff at us. It's hard to ignore everything piling up. Yes, there was a tweet ages ago that said they were in fact half sisters, but writers and producers have been known to throw things out there to throw people off a trail. I wouldn't be surprised. And even if they had originally planned for them to be sisters, (which I find hard to believe with the character design) they have said that they alter things in the story depending on stuff the audience wants. They could have easily changed their minds.

• Soul166

Soul166

#33616087 - 2 months ago

What if the reason Qrow is such an alcoholic is not just because of his semblance in general. What if Summer died because of him, or rather, because of his semblance? This way even if he's not Ruby's biological father, he would want to take care of her, though I also think that he indeed is her father.

• vihuff

vihuff

#33618317 - 2 months ago

In reply to Soul166

Well I don't think that he's responsible for her death. I think Salem's group are the one's who killed Summer. They mention that they've "dealt with their kind before." Based on how extremely rare the silver eyed trait is and then you have to think, out of how many of those silver eyed people actually become huntsman, I think it was Summer they were referring to. Especially since we know that she went off on a mission and never came back.

• RWBYRUBY221

RWBYRUBY221

#33623086 - 1 month ago

I doubt Qrow is Ruby's true father. He is the twin brother (I believe) of Raven. That's why Ruby looks so similar to Qrow. She took from Raven's side rather than her actual father's side (Yang's dad). 

• vihuff

vihuff

#33623103 - 1 month ago

In reply to RWBYRUBY221

Ruby is Summer's daughter, not Raven's, so that doesn't work. Yang is Raven's daughter.

• Sushi_and_egg

Sushi_and_egg

#33638483 - 3 weeks ago

So I was listening to Qrow's theme ,'Bad Luck Charm' - which is amazing btw I've listened to it like 20 times - and some of the lyrics definitely back up this theory.

'You don't want the burden of my name.' Seriously shook me ngl. Because obviously Ruby doesn't have Tai's name, but her mum's, Summer rose. And this is very confusing, as if Tai and Ruby were related by blood, why wouldn't she have his name? Of course it could be out of memory for her mother or something or other, but I feel like Qrow being her father, and then wanting to distance himself from Ruby as much as possible in fear that his semblance would harm her, and so leaves her to Tai and Summer- and then just Tai when Summer dies- and have her take her mother's name so she doesn't make the connection, is pretty plausible.

Also, just to give a bit more credit to the theory, if Summer and Qrow were actually a thing, then again if he had a child, he'd be afraid of harming them and so leave. But if Summer and Qrow were just a one time thing, then (Complete theory, literally no evidence to support this) with his bad luck, they got unlucky and then condom broke? It sounds pretty stupid, but at the same time kinda plausaible.

The only problem with this is that it proves nothing. It only holds weight if you're already on board with the whole Daddy Qrow thing, but I really love this theory and I kinda totally hope it's true, so this has given me a tiny bit of hope. And regardless I find the 'hidden messages' in the RWBY soundtrack really interesting.

• RexFrost

RexFrost FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold The King of Cool

#33639093 - 3 weeks ago

In reply to Sushi_and_egg

The RWBY soundtrack are always a great source for theories & speculation. Just remember that the songs are strictly for theory material, not to be taken as confirming something's canon. At least, not yet, anyway. I don't want another "Bumblebee is Canon" fiasco that popped up when BMBLB was revealed, & I say that as a die-hard Bumblebee shipper. For now, take the songs as they are: awesome music & fuel for theories & speculation.

• DrPainKiller

DrPainKiller

#33639105 - 3 weeks ago

In reply to Sushi_and_egg while I have listened to it too and it's a good album, they are just songs, such as this life of mine is on weiss' opinion of her father, armed and ready is about suiting up for the next battle. Heel even a song called bumblebee is there.