Forums > RWBY

RWBY character ideas

Posts (3530)

• A-Tank

A-Tank

#33692865 - 5 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis

In my fanfiction, my OC comes perilously close to Canon but it does not really change the outcome of the event (much). Is that bad? 

• sumthindarkside

sumthindarkside

#33692949 - 5 months ago

Fair point. I'm more focused on getting the characters properly put together, then I'll focus on the story. 

I do write other fanfiction, so my head is filled with ideas as well.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33693242 - 5 months ago

In reply to user-59f4cc5dcb079

So long as there's ANY change to the storyline, it HAS to be labelled as an AU, or it can be viewed very poorly. It's just one of those things that really can't be helped (if you make it so that the character is involved in the canon storyline as we currently know it, that would have to be labelled as a headcanon at the very least) ren

• A-Tank

A-Tank

#33693273 - 5 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis

Damn. I never thought the change in question (hiding, trying not to get shot and occasionally laying down suppressive fire) could be considered as Canon-warping. Looks like I'll have to go make a few changes to the description.

• sumthindarkside

sumthindarkside

#33693294 - 5 months ago

The good news is that the plot line has a particular direction, but the world can hold other story arcs, villains and even other servants of Salem, or other branches of the White Fang. There are also other legends and myths that could be true in this world. 

It's a mythos that's open to a lot of flexibility. 

It's one thing for characters to be in the library studying when team RWBY is playing their game, and commenting on them, so long as the canon characters remain in character, and the OCs don't alter the story. 

There are in story moments that they could have fought in the battles in the series, such as the end of seasons 2 and 3, or even in the forest trial mission, getting the chess pieces. 

Gotta also consider power creep. It's really hard to start a protagonist on the same level as Raven or Qrow. (I don't think the latest episode is the end of Cinder.) It can be done right. But sometimes it's best to build a character from the ground up. 

Antagonists are another story. You can start them up more powerful and experienced, like Adam or Salem's four horsemen, as I call them. Or you can make them more lower end, like Cardin, or make them rivals, like Emeraude. (She's a tricky one) they aren't weaklings, but they aren't masters. 

• A-Tank

A-Tank

#33693336 - 5 months ago

In reply to sumthindarkside

That is what I like about RWBY;the flexibility of the world. Though I just don't know if what I wrote warrants being labeled AU. Might as well do so, to be safe

• sumthindarkside

sumthindarkside

#33693481 - 5 months ago

Can you give me the link to your fanfic? I wasn't able to catch it, because I had quite a bit on my plate at the time.

• A-Tank

A-Tank

#33693518 - 5 months ago

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12719464/1/The-Errant-Huntsman

Here you go, sorry for being 8 hours late.

• sumthindarkside

sumthindarkside

#33693612 - 5 months ago

In reply to user-59f4cc5dcb079  No problem. Thanks, it will be insightful to read another fic

• Malochroma

Malochroma FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Mollymaukery

#33693613 - 5 months ago

There's also "Canon Divergence," which is that weird in-between where you make changes to the story (see "For Want of a Nail"-style fics) but it's still considered the same universe as the OG canon within the context of the narrative. I'm doing that with my GW2 fic.

• sumthindarkside

sumthindarkside

#33693614 - 5 months ago

Wow. that's a lot of updates. I can't update that much. I have university too... Plus working on 3-4 fics as well.

And combat scenes I need to practice with

• A-Tank

A-Tank

#33693968 - 5 months ago

Well I'm working only on one fic. It is my principle not to work on more than one thing at a time. Thus I can crank out updates. For now I'm on a huge chapter, probably the biggest I've ever done. It's gonna be a hard job, but I'll do it the best I can.

(What do you think of my fic?)

• sumthindarkside

sumthindarkside

#33694017 - 5 months ago

In reply to user-59f4cc5dcb079    

Interesting policy. probably a good idea. 

I haven't started, because I had to edit an 80 page chapter my brother worked on. plus homework. Today I'll have more time later.

• A-Tank

A-Tank

#33694034 - 5 months ago

I understand.

• ShadowSJG

ShadowSJG FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33694055 - 5 months ago

,I  had a concept for two pairs of potential original villains. So the first pair are two androids, like prototypes based the colors copper and bronze, and their sucesssors are gold and silver.  For their design, still stuck, but for the face, maybe something [/revision/latest?cb=20121211155207">like this].

As for the weapons, I was thinking one of them had a double barrel wrist shooter and a drill saber perhaps. Still working on the others. Lastly, I was thinking they could absorb aura maybe.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33694067 - 5 months ago

In reply to ShadowSJG We can't view that image.

• ShadowSJG

ShadowSJG FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33694142 - 5 months ago

Oh, here it is:  Hakumen_%28Chronophantasma%2C_Character_/revision/latest?cb=20121211155207

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33694342 - 5 months ago

In reply to ShadowSJG

Looks like something out of an anime... You draw this or was it made by someone else? Either way, that's really cool looking!

Edit: Oh wait that's right, you said "something like this" so I'm going to assume you meant as an example while not actually being the case...

• ShadowSJG

#33694552 - 5 months ago

Yeah, for a facial design I was looking at it. Any tips for my droids?

• xsstreak

xsstreak FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33697046 - 4 months ago

Well, here's another character idea I've had.

Name: Scarlet Blanc

Race: Human 

Alignment: Lawful Evil

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 140 Lbs 

Personality: Focused, Merciless, Honor-Bound, Cold, Hard, Vicious

Appearance: White hair, yellow eyes, red and white leotard.  Thigh-high stockings with heels, matching her motif.  Flowing, red dueling cloak.  Most of her strength is in her legs and core, with a lithe build for agility, designed to use a slashing and piercing weapon.  

Semblance: True Strikes - When in combat, Scarlet can use her semblance to form up to two duplicates of her blade that can strike in an area around her arm of the element or elements of dust she uses. She can use these to parry attacks, guide her own sword, or strike independently if her primary thrusts or slashes miss, giving her a wider effect of attack. She can combine this with the ranged form of her weapon, causing a single bullet to become three to cover a wider area. This semblance can be activated while a shot is being fired, a thrust is being made, or before so. Only the melee form is viable after a thrust, a spent bullet cannot be split.

Weapon: Grave Shot is Scarlet Blanc's primary weapon. It is a dueling sword designed to look like a bone, which folds back at the hilt and lowers to become a single, long-barreled pistol, while the sharpened tip folds back to become a sight to help her aim.  This sword has no hand-guard.

Defense: Keeping up with her dueling theme, Scarlet often wears a single-shoulder clasped dueling cloak made of a light, chain-mesh material. Utilizing her aura, much like other hunters defend their weapons with it, she will use this to tangle up others' melee weapons and, in some cases, wraps her free arm with it to use it like a cushioned shield.

Biography: Atlas may be a wealthy kingdom, it may hold some of the greatest wealth, and it may be the most technologically advanced, but there are people in it who are just as cold as the steel they forge. Scarlet Blanc is no exception to this, her family is wealthy, but how they acquired their wealth was shady to say the least. Black markets, drugs, smuggling, hits - her family did and does them all. They are criminals to the core, but more mafia-styled than anything else. Scarlet's family holds a code of honor, to which she adheres to to the fullest. Being third generation in the family, most believe her to have been raised a pompous, spoiled girl. Those who have tested this theory have regretted it thoroughly. Beneath the benevolent smile, feigned ignorance, and flashy outfit lies a future leader of a criminal syndicate. Trained in Atlas Academy, at home, and even during vacations, Scarlet Blanc is the definition of rigid, polite, and proper, but she is just as cut-throat as any other family member she has.  While the family builds itself up on human suffering, their code is what separates them from most other criminals - and keeps them from joining groups that would see humanity destroyed.  When push comes to shove, the Blanc family will always side with humanity - after all, who else would they exploit?

Code of Honor

• Do not harm the helpless or innocent. Should they raise a weapon, they are fair game.
    • Stay true to your word. Mean what you say, say what you mean.
    • Respect proper authority. Real authority doesn't need to flaunt their position to get what they want.
    • Leave a message for those who wish to cross you after one fool has been taught a lesson. Make sure the first one never recovers, the next ones will always suffer more than the one before them.
    • Faunus or human does not matter. The deeds of a man define him, not his appearance.
    • Follow the laws that exist, the spirit of the law does not apply. If it doesn't say it is a crime, it is not.
    • Maintain a good public reputation. What the people don't know won't hurt them.
    • Mercy is for the weak. If someone is disarmed, weakened, or stumbles - take advantage and end their life. They would do the same to you.

Appearance Reference:

full.jpg

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33697123 - 4 months ago

In reply to xsstreak Is that your artwork you used? If not, you shouldn't be using it.

• A-Tank

A-Tank

#33697161 - 4 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Although I disagree with art theft, Is it not all right to cite and display what inspired the OC? 

One must not to tack it on as theirs, or just say 'This art belongs to someone else, but I'm using it anyway'.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33697162 - 4 months ago

In reply to A-Tank As an artist, I can tell you we do NOT like having our characters reused in some rando's shitty OC. Not saying this one is shitty, but that's the worst case scenario when a 12 year-old steals your drawing because they like it. It's a nice compliment on their end, but to us, it's an insult.

• RoseMaryM

RoseMaryM FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold PYREverse Artist

#33697553 - 4 months ago

In reply to A-Tank

They didn't say whether it was theirs or not. 

They also didn't cite it as an "inspiration for the design", they flat out copied and infringed on the design.

Also, it is common curtesy to AT LEAST cite the source.

Like so: Source: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/RO8VO

Considering that this was done by a Professional Concept Artist they (the Artist) COULD file a DMCA takedown at least. 

I don't mean to sound angry or agressive, as this is meant more as a ... reminder to please respect artists and their work.

• A-Tank

A-Tank

#33697646 - 4 months ago

In reply to RoseMaryM

I was not defending the person, don't worry. I merely asked for a little clarification. I understand you artists put great time and effort into your work, and it is bitter to see someone steal it all away.