Forums > RWBY

RWBY character ideas

Posts (3530)

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33697791 - 4 months ago

In reply to xsstreak

This seems like an OC similar to Weiss, only with a different Semblance and with next to nothing to make for a complex character... In other words, I find her to be a ruthless intimidator with a, to be completely honest, pretty bland personality. 

Also, I agree with the others that you should either cite your image sources, to avoid consequences of plagiarism, or just draw your own, like I do (though one exception is Rinmaru, since Rinmaru just stamps the source right to it's images). As someone who does drawing myself, I have a different look on this when it comes to my own artwork, cause let's face it, I think anyone that's seen mine would immediately recognize the art style should it be copied elsewhere... I really don't mind it, personally, cause I don't make it just to make a pretty penny. If others get by that way, then that's just karma on them when they get caught. HOWEVER, by this, I speak for NO ONE ELSE, so just don't do it.

• dmason85

dmason85 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33697815 - 4 months ago

An idea I've been playing around with friend for a Universal Monsters team

Name: Umbra Mond 
    Inspiration: Frankenstein's monster  
    Heritage: Vacuo 
    Semblance: Dust control 
    Weapons: Dust created of various types dependent on dust type used. 

Stats: 
    Str: 2 
    Agl: 1 
    End: 4 (3+1 for vacuo) 
    Will: 4 
    Per: 0 
    Dis: 5 

Appearance: Tall male with unkempt reddish brown and seemingly patchwork scars all across his body and different colored eyes. Has a metallic cylinder above his heart with six different dust phial chambers and small metallic openings in his hands.  

Weapons: Umbra generates his weapons using his semblance but the dust must be cared through his body, particularly his bloodstream. The chambers in the mechanism above his hear rotate as a magazine to the phial he needs then the mechanism directly injects the dust into his body. It flows through his bloodstream to his hands when it exits through the small metallic openings in his hands. Now laced with his blood he's able to use his semblance to form the dust into physical weapons with traits of the dust. 

Fire: Blazing Long Sword (does not like to use because of fear of fire) 
    Earth: Large Warhammer made of stone. 
    Ice: Short Sword and Shield 
    Water: Whip  
    Arc/Lightning: Bow and arrow 

Abilities inspired by Fanmade SLVR "Silver" Trailer 

>https://youtu.be/NTDwIz8KRYo 

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33697818 - 4 months ago

In reply to dmason85 Pretty sure using dust to create items or infuse yourself with is already a thing, and he doesn't need a semblance for that.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33697974 - 4 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

We only really see this with Cinder, though, so it MIGHT be Semblance-based since I think we've seen what Cinder's actual Semblance really is, in Volume 3 "Dance Dance Infiltration" That's just a guess though, I could be wrong...

Edit: Oh, AND Raven, after she revealed that she's the Spring Maiden...

• dmason85

dmason85 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33698142 - 4 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis 

It might be a maiden power.

My inspiration for the weapons is similar to how Weiss and Winter can summon the Grimm they've defeated as physical manifestations and what Cinder does with her glass weapons. 

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33698176 - 4 months ago

In reply to dmason85

That was my thought too, though just that ability on it's own could be considered a Semblance, I guess. After all, there IS more to Maiden powers than creating weapons out of Dust.

• CinderFaII

CinderFaII Veritas Omnia Vincit

#33698545 - 4 months ago

In reply to Dinobot01

Interesting.  Seeing family members can either be good or bad, depending on the plot line.  

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33698568 - 4 months ago

In reply to ClNDERFALL You realize you're replying to someone on page 1, even though we're 153 pages further in the discussion by now?

• CinderFaII

#33698569 - 4 months ago

Yep.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33698571 - 4 months ago

In reply to ClNDERFALL So...you're not contributing to any ongoing discussion and will likely not receive an answer?

• CinderFaII

#33698572 - 4 months ago

Oh, I wouldn't say that.  But yes, I knew the post I was replying to was quite old — I still found the idea rather intriguing.

• CinderFaII

#33698573 - 4 months ago

Well, at the very least you should provide a link to the original source so the author can receive recognition.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33698597 - 4 months ago

In reply to ClNDERFALL I disagree. I think the original creator needs to know that you're using it. Just providing a link doesn't earn them anything.

• CinderFaII

#33698603 - 4 months ago

I totally agree.  The original creator has every right to not only know that his/her work is being used, but allowed the opportunity to grant permission.  Ideally, this is how it should work.  But I think we can both agree that this is not a perfect world & not everyone follows the rules.  Sometimes there are situations where the original artist simply can't be found.  The reason why varies but it does happen.  There are simply so many things that can go wrong, that's why I settled for "at the very least you should do this".

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33698623 - 4 months ago

In reply to ClNDERFALL

Both very good points, but I find CINDERFALL's to be more realistic, given the circumstances. This IS the internet, after all, and there's always going to be people that won't go the lengths or some reason or occurrence that the author can't be reached. I'd say a good medium to this is to, yes, provide the link at the very least, but also be ready ahead of time in case the author does turn out to not wanting you to use their content, so you can have it taken down without a fuss or issues in discussion without said content images.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33698707 - 4 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis If you can't realistically contact the artist, don't use their art. Simple.

• CinderFaII

#33698769 - 4 months ago

Again, I absolutely agree — I think you'll find that we agree more than we disagree — but it's not always so simple.  Art gets passed along so much these days that tracking down the original artist can sometimes be next to impossible.  Sometimes pieces of art become attributed to the wrong artist & you get permission from someone who didn't have the right to give it in the first place.  The short version is that strict guidelines never turn out well on the wild west of the internet.  I sympathize with artists, because they put time & effort into something that I know I could never create — I find graphic design to be much easier.

But I think we've strayed off the thread's original topic.  If you want to continue this, however, please feel free to message me

• Malochroma

Malochroma FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Mollymaukery

#33698775 - 4 months ago

In reply to ClNDERFALL

I don't have too much difficulty tracking down art sources. Reverse Google Image Search is a boon.

• CinderFaII

#33698777 - 4 months ago

In reply to Malochroma

For the most part, I agree.  But some of it boils down to how many people have shared this piece of art?  How many sites is it on?  Was the original artist actually the first to host it?  In some cases the original artist's site no longer exists — again, the reasons can vary — and only re-uploads are available online.  As I said, there are a lot of things that can go wrong.  We just have to agree that human error is pretty infinite when you need things to go right.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33698952 - 4 months ago

I'll post my boy in this thread as well, since I did the same for the first 4 OCs I've put on here.

[NAME] Persimmon Coral.

[GENDER] Male.

[AGE] 17.

[SPECIES] Faunus ("Bird of Paradise"). 

[OCCUPATION/EDUCATION] First-year student at Sentry Academy.

[COLOR THEME] (Pastel) Orangered.

[REFERENCE/ALLUSION] A Phoenix.

[PERSONALITY] On the surface, Persimmon seems very confident and friendly. And why wouldn't he be; he's got excellent fighting abilities, a crazy powerful semblance, and very good looks. However, though the friendly part is genuine, his confident attitude is partially make-believe; Persimmon may even be trying to fool himself. In actuality, he has a certain fear of abandonnement; that if he isn't perfectly up to his peers' standards, they'll stop liking him. He comes across as a tad arrogant because he tries to convince others (as well as himself) of the fact that he's a top tier student and friend, but he's actually quite humble regarding his own abilities; though this will only really show once someone gets to know him better. He's an insanely loyal friend - albeit maybe because he's always afraid to lose his friends or their respect - and would do anything for those he cares about. He's got a very selfless, heroic side, that unfortunately doesn't get to shine very often because of the mask of haughty overconfidence he puts on.

[LOOKS] (NOTE: as usual, the way the weapons are drawn here is no longer entirely accurate, and the 'weapons' section has a more up-to-date representation of them.) 

persimmon_coral_by_animeannemarie-daagmp

An objectively handsome young man, Persimmon almost permanently has one eyebrow slightly raised in a flirty manner. His pastel-orange-colored hair, its length just past the ears, is slicked back with only a single lock flicked forward. His burnt-orange-colored v-neck t-shirt has a print of his emblem in black. He wears an opened, deep cherry-red jacket over it, which is white on the inside. Its buttoning point has three white, rectangular patches on the left side reminiscent of decorations on marching band uniforms. Its collar has three rounded outward extensions on each side, their white inner color decorated with a yellow core. Near the end of its sleeves, it has three similar extensions hanging down on each side with an equally yellow core, here reminiscent of fringes. His baggy, black pants have these same tripartite extensions on each side's calves, again with yellow cores. His wide, double-holed white belt is not functional, hanging loosely around his waist, along with a decorative golden chain. Almost obscured by his long pants, Persimmon sports black army boots. Extending from his tailbone, if not tucked into his pant legs, two thin strands sprout, both about as long as Persimmon's fully extended legs. On either tip sits a pretty feather, mainly orange in color, yellow as it nears the middle, and a deep, maroon purple in the center. The bottom part, where it attaches to the strand, has some feathery fluff with the same color as its center. They are reminiscent of the pretty tail feathers on a bird of paradise or a peacock, though not any specific species has this exact type, shape and color. Phoenixes are sometimes drawn to have similar tails.

[BACKSTORY] Originally from Mistral, Persimmon grew up alongside Cole Drop, one of his closest friends who's also currently attending Sentry Academy. However, being a faunus, Persimmon grew up scared of rejection and hate. For this reason, he always tucked his tails into his pant legs in order to hide the fact that he is, in fact, a faunus. As time went on, he grew increasingly embarrassed to admit to the racist Cole that he wasn't actually human like he is, and hid this fact from his best friend all this time. Meanwhile, he had to watch Cole bully, belittle and beat up other faunus, in his mind unable to act because it'd reveal that he is a faunus himself. He appreciated Cole's friendship a great deal, but having to see him act that way with other faunus tore his heart in two. He masked his ever shrinking self-image with overly confident behavior, which matched nicely with Cole's attitude. When the duo caught wind of Sentry Academy, they ever so confidently decided they could take on the challenge of attending such a tough, combat-focused school. Persimmon passed the entrance exam with flying colors, despite not being aware of what his semblance was at that time. As teams were formed, Persimmon became the leader of team PSTL, with Sky Nimbus, Thea Mint and Lily Lavender as his teammates; all of whom are faunus. Cole embarassed Persimmon for his teammates, belitteling him for the fact that he had to lead faunus, and Persimmon's teammates rejected him as their leader because of his affiliation with Cole. In a desparate attempt to win back any form of appreciation from his peers, Persimmon revealed his tails in front of all other students. Though shocked to see that he wasn't actually human, Persimmon's teammates quickly adjusted and, over time, have come to trust Persimmon as their leader a great deal. Cole, however, felt gravely insulted and betrayed. What was meant as an attempt to show Cole that he has been best friends with a faunus all his life, and thus that they can't be all that bad, ended with Cole only growing more hateful, believing this event proves even more that faunus are all liars that are not to be trusted. But Persimmon hasn't given up on his best friend. 

[WEAPONS] Flickering Feathers:

c1yxaKY.jpg

Surprisingly light, they are a pair of folding submachine guns, and work and fold up just like one. Their models most closely resemble a Magpul FMG-9, with additional orange accents on the grip, around the blade, and on the trigger. Additionally, when looking at it folded out in submachine form, the back half has a big axe-like blade pointed upwards. Meanwhile, the barrel-ended half has a handle at the top to carry it around when folded up. When folded out, it can be swung like an axe, in addition to being used as a submachine gun. When folded up, holding the grip, it can be used like a big meat cleaver.

[EMBLEM] Two identical, but mirrored shapes, resembling Flickering Feathers' blades, angled slightly downward and pointing outward, nearly touch in the middle. From the points on each side that nearly touches the other, a thin strand sprouts outwards, toward the shape opposite to it, and comes back around as it goes down, a bit like a half-circle. An egg shape with a pointy outward end is horizontally angled, and connected at the end of both strands. Together, the twice-crossing strands resemble Persimmon's tails and feathers, and the blade shapes are reminiscent of wings, vaguely giving the general idea of a bird with its wings outstretched. It's the same shade of orangered as Persimmon's overall color theme.

[SEMBLANCE] Rebirth: On the conditions that he is fully conscious up until the last moment, has generally high levels and control of aura, and has a strong desire to live/fulfill something in this world, Persimmon can, upon instant death, resurrect spontaneously. His appearance and condition will be identical to his state mere moments before death. The reborn body will, however, immediately fall into a coma for as long as it takes the brain to reprogram itself and its memories. While his body is burnt up to a pile of ashes and reborn instantly in a blaze, all knowledge that Persimmon had before 'death' has to be processed all over again. This comatose state can last up to 3 weeks, and leaves Persimmon completely vulnerable. Death while in this state is not reversible.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33698963 - 4 months ago

Oooooo! I love the weapon concept! Also, the Semblance kind of reminds me of the resurrecting ability of a phoenix, only this is something intended for the untimely death rather than the aging til death, if that made sense... Amazing work on this!

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33698966 - 4 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis Thanks! And yeah, I specifically made his semblance to function only for spontaneous deaths. If it worked for death by aging, he'd be dying forever but never actually die (since he doesn't resurrect as a baby, but as the exact person he was moments before death, resulting in him dying of old age for the rest of eternity). Also yes, his entire allusion was to a phoenix. The weapon is actually real, minus the blade, believe it or not. A real life RWBY foldy-gun; Google Magpul FMG-9's for the exact model I used for Persimmon's Flickering Feathers.

• mrmasan

mrmasan FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33701220 - 4 months ago

ok so I had an Idea for a male faunus that has massive Wings on his back that he hides under a big coat or cape

NAME victor (I'm bad with names so other suggests are welcome) 

Eyes green(they turn gold when using his semblance) Height 6'5 

WEAPONS Bow and arrows(bow can turn into a double edged sword)

SEMBLANCE can see(really don't know how else to word that sorry) if someone lying and if he try's hard enough people can't lie when he's around

LIKES to draw read books workout making people laugh going for a flight doesn't usually stay in one place that long 

BIO Victor is a kind and loving person that likes to help people but travels to hunt Grimm and stop bandits as an angel of darkness

BACKSTORY growing up victor loved his parents telling him stories that's what made him want to be a huntsmen like his human mom once was so he trained and worked with her to be a huntsmen then one day he went for a morning flight before training with his faunus dad on tracking and healing then when got back his home was destroyed and family dead killed by Grimm he vowed to fight all Grimm not as a huntsmen but as an angel of darkness same as in the stories he loved now armed with his father's bow and hunting and hailing skills and his mother's fighting styles he's ready to talk on anything with a promise to never let the darkness take him

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33701223 - 4 months ago

In reply to mrmasan What kind of animal faunus is he? What color does the name Victor mean? Why do his eyes change color when he uses his semblance? How can he even use his semblance in any useful way? Why does he HAVE to have a backstory where his parents die? I personally thought it was just fine when he heard stories of cool heroes and wanted to be a huntsman based on that. Why did you have to add the dead parents into it? Why is he called 'angel of darkness' when he fights for good? Does he go to a huntsman academy anywhere? Where does/did he even live?

• mrmasan

mrmasan FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33701270 - 4 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie bird faunus that's why he has wings on his back lol

like I said I'm bad with names it's just what came to mind I'm open to suggestions

eye color thing was just because I always think that's cool when heroes or villains do that

in battle sure not very helpful but if he's looking for into its awesome it was that or he puts an energy around his arrows that explode on impact(maybe I should go with that one)

parents dying now the reason I did that was because I needed a reason for him not to go to an academy and just go on his own because his parents trained him and sent him to some combat school when he was growing up so when they died he's thinking I'm good(thought I had that in the story sorry)

angel of darkness I picked that because he's got big wings on his back like an angel and the darkness was part of the fact he wears black and fights Grimm and stuff at night in the darkness (I didn't put armor wear and that in his BIO sorry about that again) and he lives on the road just traveling

Now I think and hope I have answered your questions best I can but If there's anything else just ask and I'll replay best and as fast as I can