Forums > RWBY

Original Semblance Ideas

Posts (901)

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33637778 - 2 months ago

In reply to DamagedMicrobe

Well, what did you have in mind? There HAS been ideas regarding time dilation, if that's what you mean. As far as time traveling or time-stopping, that's a pretty sensitive topic...

• DamagedMicrobe

DamagedMicrobe FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33637939 - 2 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis

Just more curious than anything. Been playing around with an idea about a time semblance called Moment of Time. (friends idea but I really loved it for the character) creating a small moment of time that exists outside of the normal flow of time for a few moments. Doesn't work on anything with a soul, aside from themselves, and cant be anything bigger than them. But if something stays in that moment of time it fades out of existence. Also leaves a ghost like effect in their brain so big reason to not do that to grimm. Just playing around with the idea really.

• PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

#33638072 - 2 months ago

In reply to DamagedMicrobe what about a bubble of time I got the idea form mist born book series. the character sets up a bubble around them  time moves differently in the bubble.  Those outside the bubble either see those in the bubble moving like a blur or moving in slow mo. any thing in the bubble moves at the time of the bubble.  advatages you can trap an opponent and fight them separated from others. take time to plan with your allies in the bubble.  for a handicap the bubble could be stationary  once created chacters can move around in it but there are edges. you could also make the edges of bubble a barrier and hard to pass thou so there's a distortion when something moves in or out of the bubble. so its difficult to attack things in or out of the bubble. 

• DamagedMicrobe

DamagedMicrobe FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33638102 - 2 months ago

In reply to PaperGodzilla

I like that, I am playing around with the idea more and more. Filling up a small notebook with some random ideas. I know time is something people are quick to flag down as OP but I think if you do it right it can be a fun thing. Just gotta make a fun thing that has some flaws and makes sense. One of the ideas was something like what you said but using dust to create a "eroding sands of time" kind of bubble maybe.

• PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

#33638173 - 2 months ago

Two ideas I ave been working on 

one is mas manipulation the character can change their mass or weight.  so they can become heavier or lighter at will.  when lighter they could float, step on things with out leaving trace. they could become heaver so they could be an anchor or when they drop on something they hit with more forces. when laping they could jump with a higher mass then drop it to gain some speed. like a projectile that uses a sabot.  my main idea is to give this character a harpoon weapon with a rope. they decrease their mass they can be pulled along. increase there mass and they are an Anchor holding the target back.

the 2nd idea is for a villain character so it might be a little over powered but its to make them a real threat, the semblance is called swap.  its a teleport power but they have to swaps places with anther living target.   the character uses the power to hop around a battle field creating caos as she swaps places with other.   in attack she can strike at an opponent from a position were an allies had stood before.  In deference she swaps other in place to take a hit for her so when you try to strike her your teammate appears in her place.   the character is base on a god of war and slaughter who picks who lives and who dies on the battle field.  

• SolusDarkcoat

SolusDarkcoat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33639360 - 2 months ago

Something similar to Qrow's. Qrow's Semblance is passive, meaning it's always on, always affecting EVERYONE. Mine would be similar, tho limited to combat (since this would be impossible to deal with outside of combat); Anger.

I'd make everyone around me irrationally angry, which would limit their ability to focus, thus giving me an advantage at the cost of distancing myself from my team (and empowering the enemy).
    like I said, this would have to be limited to combat, or at least be less prominent outside of combat.

• DamagedMicrobe

#33639370 - 2 months ago

In reply to SolusDarkcoat

How do you limit it out of combat? Or I guess how does the character limit it? (Only asking because I am assuming someone will ask something like this.)

Could make it something attached to adrenaline, or in someway a thing that is attached to emotions that are the characters. Like if you go a little Yang style with it maybe the angry they get the more angry the enemy might get. Then you have a "temper tantrum fight" to sort of/not really quote Tai lol

• DamagedMicrobe

#33639372 - 2 months ago

In reply to PaperGodzilla

The mass one seems pretty fun, could get some really cool arm blades like Fox and be a human guillotine.

Yeah I agree the second one seems more like a villain, though not sure how to limit or to make a disadvantage on that. Maybe something like the last person they hit would be the one they swap?

• SolusDarkcoat

SolusDarkcoat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33639425 - 2 months ago

In reply to DamagedMicrobe

Because semblances have to make sense, don't they?

Anyway. No the character themselves wouldn't be affected, only people in the immediate surrounding would start to feel angry. Maybe link it to focus, when people concentrate on the character they get angrier and angrier, so not just everyone. That way the person, or thing, you'd be fighting would be getting angrier when fighting you because they'd have to concentrate on you.

The entire point is to throw people off, make them do stupid mistakes because they just wanna punch you in the face, whilst you stay level headed and slowly start taking the advantage against even the most skilled opponents.

• DamagedMicrobe

#33639454 - 2 months ago

In reply to SolusDarkcoat

In that case you could try making it something similar to Emeralds semblance. Maybe the character actually focuses on the person they are fighting and can make them get more and more angry? I think it be a great way to throw people off for sure.

• Hallandren

Hallandren

#33640330 - 2 months ago

Semblence: Touch

User is able to gain a small amount of aura from another person and use it as an extra bonus of aura. 

It depletes over time. Or after a couple of hits it's gone again.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33640673 - 2 months ago

In reply to Hallandren

My very first OC has a similar Semblance called Aura Tap. Basically, direct physical contact with the target allows him to siphon Aura, relative to the force of impact. This ALSO allows him to get a read on the Semblance of the target as well, what it is as well as it's strengths and weaknesses. The siphon effect isn't anything drastic, but overall, I'd say it's a fair amount.

• PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

#33641163 - 2 months ago

so here is anther semblance idea i had,  I posted this on character creation as well. to flush out anther idea

Elemental Sprite

Using some of their arora and focusing their will  the character creates a humanoid entities composed of arrora they can send off to do a single simpe task like “Bring me that”,  “push that button”,  “follow that person”,  “attack that thing” “defend this spot“ and so on.    When just using arrora the creations isn’t good for much since it has no real mass it’s just a creation composed of arrora. It can do simple task like pick things up and carry however in a fight it can’t hit with much power it stings when it hits but a blow to its main body or head causes it to be dispelled.  It works better as a distraction or to accomplish another task in combat. Out of combat it makes a good training partner.

When charged with Dust the creation truly becomes an element. Dust give the creation mass and power. When they fight they don’t sting any more they use the power of the dust. So fire burns, ice freezes,  lightning socks,  gravity delivers effect that  throws the target. The elemental can also be used as a dust spell that can run and jump at the target then disperse itself releases it dust energy the Dust effects then are the same as usual dust spells it’s just a unique delivery system.

The limiting factors on this semblance is that it uses Arora and takes a concentration of will to create and the creations have limited intelligence they have one task and go off to do that one task.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33641347 - 2 months ago

In reply to PaperGodzilla My Bibi Bumbelle has a half way form of mass manipulation, with just getting lighter, not heavier. It's called Featherweight. 

• AurtherGriffin

AurtherGriffin

#33642902 - 2 months ago

adrenaline rush(working on it)

Ability: the more damage(or in raged(think like yang)) the user takes the the slower he or she perceives the world around him to move also allowing  for an increase in movement but not speed(as in running like ruby)

Weakness: the faster the user moves and the slower he or she perceives the world to move the greater the strain on the body. Allowing the user to push his body to the a point were his or her body gives out on them

Example: a character gets hit and as such can see the next attack coming and has the speed to intercepte it or divert it and then counter and get around the grimm(ex) guard and strike it. But he also uses more energy than he would have normally.

Personal note if the character was smart enough to use inertia he or she could also increase his or her power(not strength like yang)

Last part: the ability can increase in magnitude to the point the world would be moving at a sloths pace but this also increases the wear on the body.

Open to suggestions on how to balance and improve

• PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

#33647826 - 2 months ago

weight of darkness.  this ability allows the character to add mass to their shadow and other places of darkness it touches. adding mass gives the character an anchor so its harder to move them and allows them to crush targets when they are ontop of or hitting them.  Adding mass to darkness also makes it harder for objects to move thou the darkness it becomes like moving thou water so it can work like a trap or a shield.  The darkness may have mass but its still darkness and can be dispelled by light.

(I know mass and weight are not the same thing but mass of darkness just doesn't have the same ring)

• JackIceheart

JackIceheart

#33651490 - 1 month ago

So, I will throw in an idea.....

The World that Never was Mine (Slight Jojo reference btw)

The effect itself does not require much explanation: STOPS THE TIME for random amount of time. Cannot be used often, since this semblance requires ridiculous amount of aura. But nonetheless, this ability is what we would call "OP" and "Mary sue." I mean, this semblance controls time! You get to attack while your opponents are just standing around. YOU GET TO DODGE ANY ATTACKS. You get to do all sorts of creative stuff. This is too overpowered!!!!!!

........it would have, if this semblance does not affects the user the same way it does for the rest of the world: User and the world alike both "freezes" at the same time when this semblance is activated. User cannot move, think, or do anything else that normal people can do while frozen in time when this semblance is active. It would be the user's "world" when user makes the time stop, but they do not have control over it, because it was "never Mine."

However, user can affect this state by "marking" a being (both living and non-living) before the usage of semblance. Marked beings does not get affected by Time Freeze. For example:

1. User throws the marked spear at the enemy.

2. Activates the Semblance.

3. Time stops. But for the "marked spear", it does not.

4. Since the time stopped for enemy, but not for the spear, and it hits the target. 

When marking the humans, similar principles apply: They are not affected by The World that Never was Mine. They can do whatever they need during the time freeze. However, it is reported that living beings have certain limits on amount of time to move around, regardless of the duration of the semblance. For example, The user of World that Never was Mine might have stopped the time for 10 seconds (remember.....the time stopped is random), but depending on the marked person, they might only be able to move around for 3 seconds before they too gets frozen in time. Depends on person to person.

Only one marking is permitted to be existing. Marking disappears after the marked being interacts with the time freeze or the user chooses another being to mark. User cannot mark themselves.

In conclusion, the user of this semblance needs to plan out a way ahead of the time in order to use this semblance to maximum. They need to consider what or who they should be marking, and how are they going to deal with the excessive amounts of aura loss. If marking a living being, user also needs some luck on their side, as the amount of freedom each marked person has inside the The World that Never was Mine varies greatly, and during the battle, it would be too late to figure this out. And also, the time freezes has a random time variations, which makes it hard for user to determine wheather the marked person or marked weapon has enough time to finish the job.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33651498 - 1 month ago

In reply to JackIceheart This seems...really convoluted for a semblance, and unreliable at that. Also nice JoJo reference though. 

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33651878 - 1 month ago

In reply to JackIceheart

...A VERY interesting choice. Great for team support, actually, but kinda useless otherwise, if the user can't be marked. I would suggest that you would include the user in the marking, since you already have it as a high Aura cost to use.

• JackIceheart

JackIceheart

#33652109 - 1 month ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis

I was kind of doing "With a great power comes a great price." Stopping the time itself is literally god-like power, and without the marking restrictions, it would be way to overpowered, since even the one second of time stopping may give the supreme upper hand. There are way too many ways to counter the high aura cost itself, via teaming up with person who can heal the other people's aura or using the medical equipments designed just for this occasions. There should be medical equipment pharmacidical supplements that can heal the aura in RWBY universe. If The World that Never was Mine user was able to mark themselves:

1. Mark themselves. 

2. Stop time.

3. WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Proceed to beat the crap hell out of enemy until time's up (muda muda muda).

WAY to powerful and broken. It is no mistake that this sort of power was given to DIO from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Jotaro would have lost if his stand didn't got the same power as DIO.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33652112 - 1 month ago

In reply to JackIceheart But then you have to wonder if time stopping is a power you want in the RWBY universe at all. The only way to go about it now without making it OP is making it too convoluted. If that's the case, you might just have to scrap the idea altogether.

• JackIceheart

JackIceheart

#33652246 - 1 month ago

Hmmmm...Alright. I will loosen up some restrictions then..... And I think I just gave it a OP side effects.

The World that Never was Mine (Slight Jojo reference btw)

The effect itself does not require much explanation: STOPS THE TIME for random amount of time. Cannot be used often, since this semblance requires ridiculous amount of aura. But nonetheless, this ability is what we would call "OP" and "Mary sue." I mean, this semblance controls time! You get to attack while your opponents are just standing around. YOU GET TO DODGE ANY ATTACKS. You get to do all sorts of creative stuff. This is too overpowered!!!!!!

........it would have, if this semblance does not affects the user the same way it does for the rest of the world: User and the world alike both "freezes" at the same time when this semblance is activated. User cannot move when this semblance is active. However, user's thought process and counciousness remains untouched.  It would be the user's "world" when user makes the time stop, but they do not have complete control over it, because it was "never Mine."

However, user can affect this state by "marking" a being (both living and non-living) before the usage of semblance. Marked beings does not get affected by Time Freeze. For example:

1. User throws the marked spear at the enemy.

2. Activates the Semblance.

3. Time stops. But for the "marked spear", it does not.

4. Since the time stopped for enemy, but not for the spear, and it hits the target. 

When marking the humans, similar principles apply: They are not affected by The World that Never was Mine. They can do whatever they need during the time freeze. However, it is reported that living beings have certain limits on amount of time to move around, regardless of the duration of the semblance. For example, The user of World that Never was Mine might have stopped the time for 10 seconds (remember.....the time stopped is random), but depending on the marked person, they might only be able to move around for 3 seconds before they too gets frozen in time. Depends on person to person.

Only 3 markings are permitted to be existing. Markings disappear after the marked being interacts with the time freeze or the user chooses another being to mark (when the count is over 3, first being that is marked disappears and replaced by the fourth marked thing). It takes about 5 minutes to mark the being. User cannot mark themselves.

In conclusion, the user of this semblance needs to plan out a way ahead of the time in order to use this semblance to maximum. They need to consider what or who they should be marking, and how are they going to deal with the excessive amounts of aura loss. If marking a living being, user also needs some luck on their side, as the amount of freedom each marked person has inside the The World that Never was Mine varies greatly, and during the battle, it would be too late to figure this out. And also, the time freezes has a random time variations, which makes it hard for user to determine wheather the marked person or marked weapon has enough time to finish the job.

User can also use this semblance to buy some precious time for thinking up a new plan of action. Since not alot of people can "think fast" in combat situation, this semblance may aid the user to gather some informations about the situation, and aid the user to victory.

• JackIceheart

JackIceheart

#33652295 - 1 month ago

And here's another semblance of my OC, Zena Oyuki Bloodheart. I think this semblance verges on being OP, so please share your thoughts.

Hijak

“So, what is wrong with her aura?”

“I don’t know. But her aura doesn’t have any of those healing abilities we have. She can’t use it to boost her physical strength or even to protect herself, either. She only can use it to fuel her semblance.”

“That’s pretty hard to swallow.”

“It is. But data readings tell me something else.”

“What is it?”

“This is not her original semblance.”

“Then?”

“I think her semblance was changed….most likely the previous semblance was the same in nature as this one, but now only far more….perverted than the first. I don’t know what the heck “they” did to her, but…..”

“...I’m sure that it is not what anyone should do to anyone.”

-Rejin Emes and Senzou Alicemic, discussing Zena’s aura-

“What you believe you are doing will never be what you are actually be doing.”

-Zena Oyuki Bloodheart-

This complicated, yet powerful semblance is similar to the Rejin’s semblance, Awakening, on the grounds that they both have “evolved” under harsh (in Zena’s case, inhumane) conditions. While this semblance’s influence is out of the league, its cost is hefty also.

This semblance is actually an Hallucination semblance (just like Emerald Sustri) but due to the training and body/aura modification of inhumane level, this semblance was mutated into one separate semblance with the similar, but more stronger effects.

Hijack allows the user to “hijack” people’s perception of their senses (hearing, sight, touch, smell, and even taste) and their actions, and mold them to the user’s own liking for a short period of time, usually about 4 to 5 seconds. User is allowed to hijack more than one sense at a time, depending on their mastery of the semblance. They may also hijack actions and senses at the same time, but this is taxing to the user’s body, and its duration becomes shorter, usually about 1 to 2 seconds. User has to be around within 6m range of the victim to execute this semblance. And most of all, this may influence up to 10 people at the same time, without any detrimental effects on the user. 

What makes this semblance truly terrifying about this semblance is that when used with senses+action hijacking, it is possible to make it so that victim will not realize she is using this semblance on you. When she is hijacking your actions, user can control your perspective will edit yourself into thinking that what you are doing is natural.

For example:

1. Extra A swings his sword toward the user.

2. User activates semblance, hijacking the A’s actions to drop the sword, and influencing A’s sight, hearing, and touch to make him believe that he is actually swinging his sword toward her.

3. A believes that he is swinging his sword, but in reality, he dropped it, and his body is frozen in the mid-swinging motion.

4. Let's go make a grave for poor Extra A.

This semblance, however, comes with heavy prices to the user. First off, this semblance was artificially modified by Oyuki clan, which includes extreme modification of aura and body, which forces user to use all her aura to fuel her semblance, nothing else. This makes the user extremely vulnerable to the direct hits.  Naturally, the other applications of the aura are disabled, including its simple defense mechanism. The users also suffer from constant, lifelong, and harsh headaches, even if user is not using the semblance, which is detrimental to the life of the user as a living being. Users will suffer more intense headaches when actually using semblance. 

In conclusion, the user of this semblance need to be the master of deceptions and trickery, and also master of close combat. Because of this semblance, user needs to have some kind of backup plan for the absence of aura defense. Also, user has to be aware of the fact that actions requiring the usage of aura (for example, unlocking of someone's aura) cannot be performed in anyway.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33652307 - 1 month ago

In reply to JackIceheart It seems that you have a tendency towards these OP semblances but, in the attempt to make it less OP, just give the user a lot of drawbacks. That's not the way to make the power less OP, that's just trying to get away with doing so by inventing billions of requirements, conditions and drawbacks. Doing that with one character is one thing, but now there's two, and I'm seeing a pattern. I honestly think you should look into thinking of different semblances altogether. I really don't believe we've seen anything this OP or costly (both aura wise and when it comes to the amount of strain or drawback on the user) in the main show. It just feels out of place and frankly snowflake-y. I don't know what else to say.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33652356 - 1 month ago

With all due respect, I'd say this actually makes for more of a glass cannon approach on a rather extreme scale. Sure, the Semblance itself is rather OP, but the user is very vulnerable from its use to the point where use of it has to be VERY decisive in order to pull off a success. I wouldn't find such an approach necessarily unacceptable, just simply a gamble for the OCs using them.