Forums > RWBY

Original Semblance Ideas

Posts (923)

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33662471 - 3 weeks ago

In reply to Andromedae I don't really get this semblance. It seems overly complicated. I have no idea what it actually does from your post, but judging from all the drawbacks, I wouldn't ever want to use it. But then the last paragraph makes it sound like this person has no control over the semblance, and it activates whenever they touch anything. That sounds like hell.

• Terratrox

Terratrox

#33662654 - 3 weeks ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Oh I wanted to make a character who has to fight very carefully, making sure to stay around battlefields without ever actually being noticed by the opposition, and also keep track of everything going on such that their side doesn't lose, or someone else who needs them gets what they need.

This would be the kind of guy that the team would never acknowledge as existing, because just knowing he's around makes people fight differently, when suddenly the person you're fighting gets stupidly powerful.

The reason the concentration drawback is there is so the character is basically left completely vulnerable when using their Semblance. So not a character to take the spotlight in a battle, but something that viewers might notice around in the background, appearing different places while they buff different people.

Farsight allows them to see other people from long distances, but the Semblance means that if they are just off by themselves, they are left completely open, and it's difficult to shift out of the Semblance at the drop of a hat... so wandering Grimm could be halfway through eating him before he snaps out of it. Farsight also doesn't allow him to see so far that he can just hang around Mistral's school while buffing someone from across the city.

This creates a balance where he needs to be near his allies so if he is in danger they can react, but far enough away that he isn't seen by the enemy.

Personalitywise, they are massively dependent on other people to keep themselves functioning. Think severe self image issues, manic depressive, and a confidence stat of -infinity. He wanted to be a Huntsman to maybe make some friends or have people who look up to him. He forms incredibly intense bonds with people, and find betrayal as the ultimate no go. As a result, almost no-one considers this guy a friend, just a weirdo who should go kill himself and do the world a favor. His team barely tolerates him because of his useful Semblance, and if they ever seriously get angry with him or betray him, he is an extremely high suicide risk.

Basically, a leech who just happened to have a high amount of combat versatility and as such was picked up to be a Huntsman.

• Terratrox

Terratrox

#33662656 - 3 weeks ago

Oh in addition, my Grimm character would... well naturally be able to communicate with Grimm and more or less (at least attempt to) direct them like a Pack Alpha, since it appears that Grimm act like pack animals. Keep in mind that this guy is effectively a Grimm that can think critically like a human. He would undoubtably be the strongest of Grimm because of his tactical thinking. Also notable is the fact that Grimm appear to be various levels of intelligent, so that acts as a bit of a barrier to communication.

Anyway, he would be the Alpha of most packs of Grimm he crosses. Of course, the Grimm also have a chance of turning on him if he loses a challenge from another Grimm, and he can't actually trust them since they will turn on him if he ever shows weakness while they are around. That's why he is rarely found with other Grimm... he has to kill them if he makes a "weak" decision. For example, not decimating the last town in the area because there wouldn't be any more prey, or protecting people from a battle that has erupted in a populated area (partially so he isn't public enemy #1).

Note that this ability is because he is a powerful Grimm and not an effect of his Semblance or anything like that.

• Terratrox

Terratrox

#33662658 - 3 weeks ago

As for Chroma, eventually she will be forced to use her Semblance enough where it will shatter her mind. The souls that had once been merged with hers, giving her many lifetimes of memories, form the basis for her new mental state. That is, she has multiple personalities, each associated with a specific eye color. All identify as Chroma, but they are clearly separate entities, and they all have awareness of and nicknames for one another.

For example, the black eyed personality is one of the more dangerous. Chroma's sense of justice, warped by her madness is this personality's defining trait. He reaps lives with his stilettos over more serious offenses, and maims for less serious ones. He appears when someone is clearly not on the up and up.

The personalities may suppress one another, but cannot completely shut eachother out. So if enough personalities agree, they can work to wrest control away from a single personality. This happens incredibly rarely, and when it does... it doesn't look good.

Once Chroma has reached this mental state, the mental damage only keeps her in a mentally shattered state, and the most intense of her attacks is locked off, as personalities are incapable of using her Semblance unless they work together. More intense attacks requiring more personalities helping.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33662672 - 3 weeks ago

In reply to Terratrox I don't see why his semblance is so useful that it's the only reason people tolerate him. It has extreme drawbacks, and it seems like the guy is super useless in any other type of combat. On the other hand, I don't see why they hate him either. All you said is that he has self esteem issues. That's no reason to dislike someone as far as I know. Furthermore, I don't understand why he has this semblance. Is he a great team player? Is he social? Does he boost his team's morale? That would fit with a semblance that boosts semblance 'power'. Instead, the guy is apparently depressed and clingy.

As for your Grimm character, is it a human? Or is it a Grimm? Is it half-half? 

Lastly, I still don't know how I feel about Chroma. Sorry, I'm just not really a big fan of that type of OC. Atlas experiments and super powered but mentally super troubled robots and what not.

• Terratrox

Terratrox

#33662768 - 3 weeks ago

He is social, and likes to make friends... but he's obnoxious and annoying. He wears a facade of being happy and not caring so it doesn't drag down anyone else. In reality he IS clingy and depressed, but he doesn't let anyone else know because he already understands how much of a burden he is to others and doesn't want it to be any worse.

His strength is in his versatility. Because requiring focus on his target also means he can choose WHERE to buff them. So increasing strength or speed, buffing Semblances, decreasing reaction times, strengthening aura, etcetera all fall under the umbrella of his Semblance. The ability to boost other Semblances is what he uses most, as his team has mostly combat type Semblances, but he can assist in many different kinds of things. He is also a highly tactical thinker, and knows where to put his buffs onto which target to tip the balance of the battlefield the most effectively. So as a combatant, he does pretty well. It's just that his effect is very subtle. If someone watches who he is buffing, the change is incredibly noticeable, but in combat that kind of change is hard to see.

How he fights is the DEFINITION of a team player, and he tries to be the same way socially, but people push him away.

When it comes to the Grimm character, its thought processes come from a human soul bound to it, but it IS a Grimm. The hybridization is there, but it is a Grimm, first and foremost. It doesn't care about making friends, it doesn't care about people... Hell it doesn't even care about other Grimm. If they step to it, it would slaughter them without a second thought. It DOES respect other strong characters as combatants, but that is about where the human part of it ends.

I imagine them working alongside Chroma on occasion, and fighting Chroma on other occasions. They've built mutual respect for one another over their combats.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33662786 - 3 weeks ago

In reply to Terratrox All of these characters are just walking stereotypes, and I personally just don't like them. There's nothing else I can say. Don't take it personally, that's just my opinion :/

• Terratrox

Terratrox

#33662802 - 3 weeks ago

Makes sense actually. The Semblance booster I based off of how people have to play Abathur from Heroes of the Storm. The Grimm character is inspired by Sorin Markov, and I'm not quite sure where Chroma came from.

• PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

#33664660 - 2 weeks ago

I have an idea for a semblance like crows bad luck. its for gambler character the power would inverts probability so long shots pay off sure things fail. When he plays poker against honest people they tend to win when he play against cheaters they always lose. In combat he can make difficult shots but easy shots are less likely to hit.  a problem with this power is that if he relies on it to much the inversion works against him.  if you know long shots will pay out they stop being long shots.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33664700 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to PaperGodzilla That seems too meticulous to ever be useful, if I'm honest. But it sure is creative.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33664746 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to PaperGodzilla

Definitely an interesting approach, that's for sure... It also kinda reminds me of myself, oddly enough... Especially with the whole backfiring bit (but yes, the whole making it work thing DOES happen too, come on now)...

• PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

#33664828 - 2 weeks ago

well my main goal was to come up with something creative. I figure in combat this is much like qrow's semblance, So the character rely on the opponent being thrown off guard because things aren't working like they should.

• JackIceheart

JackIceheart

#33666909 - 1 week ago

Right. I'm back.

Here is a semblance, that depends on the user to be either very practical or out of the league OP.

The Garage

If you ever played an RPG games before, you would notice that any tools or items that you acquire puts themselves into the special place called Inventory, or Item Box.

This semblance is basically like that, but little bit more complicated.

The semblance is basically composed of one "garage", "in-put" portal, and "out-put" portal.

"Garage" itself is a space that only the user can use, a completely different "mini dimension" where user can store any non-living things, from weapons to consumables and even veichles, just like the notion of the Item Box. The garage itself is what we would call rectangular shape. The limits of how much the user can store inside the garage varies from user to user, and largely depends on their training and usage of the semblance. It is known that time flows normally in that space.

"In-put" portal is basically portal that user opens when they want to put things in. The portal "sucks in" the object and stores it in the garage. Of course, "out-put" portal is for taking out the things that user needs right now. Important thing to note is that this portals can be summoned anywhere at anytime within 2m dome shaped radius centering around the user. For example, you may open the in-put portal to put the pencil 1.3m away from you in the garage. Same goes with output portal. The radius that you may open the portal could increase via training and frequent usage. It is interesting to note that in-put and out-put portal may be opened at the same time.

Garage itself can take in living organisms, but not for too long. It will forcefully "spit out" the living organism when it is in the garage for too long. It is very taxing to the user to keep living beings inside the garage, and leads to serious case of aura depletion. It is VERY interesting thing to know that even user themselves may go inside the garage, even though it is extremely dangerous.  It is possible to put only the part of the living organism in without any consequences. 

This semblance is constantly active, and cannot be deactivated unless the user is dead. Of course, you would need to use some amount of aura in order to put stuff in and out of the garage. Bigger the object you take in or out, more aura you will use up. 

Pretty bland semblance, no? It just basically let you pack bigger bag packs without worrying about them getting in your way, or even store back up weapons just in case. Very useful in practical applications, both in daily lives and battles.

Of course, that's about it when you are only using it for those kind of applications.

If the user have masterful control over this semblance, this semblance can be utilized in very offensive way.

Let's start with most obvious thing: if your enemy is within your portal radius, you may drop heavy things on them by creating out-putting portal over their head. Imagine a big Roadroller just dropping out of no where on top of your enemies' head. 

User may open in-put and out-put portal at the same time, and they may put in part of themselves without any consequences. This may create some serious long range attack ability.

For example: If enemy is in the portal range, user may open input portal right in front of them, stick their arm in, and at the same time open output portal in front of the enemy and choose that arm to go out. User may grab or slash at them with weapons if the arm was holding it to the enemy, even though they are at least some distance apart.

Or you can do the opposite and input the enemy's arm and output the arm right in front of you, so you can chop it off or something. However, they may pull their arm out, so careful

This ability maybe used in the defense, too. Remember, you may use input and output portal at the same time. So when your enemy is going to run you through with a sword, activate input portal in front of their face and activate output portal on their back. They will end up stabbing themselves on the back. Same principal works with guns.

Note*(Accurate representation may be found in X-Men:Days of the Future Past, X-Men Blink uses the portal in very similar way against the Centinals)

If user is master of master with this semblance, then they may do something out of a league, like literally hiding themselves inside the garage, which cannot be destroyed nor touched by the enemy. They may teleport to the random place using portals 2m at a time, or in some extremely rare cases,  push the enemy or grimm themselves inside the portal, locking them up in a garage without getting the users killed.

Of course, this extreme utilization of the semblance is possible only if the user had put in efforts and time to develop their semblance to the fullest, and in most cases, it is extremely hard to achieve that kind of level. Also, this semblance does not go well with long range fighters or enemies with fast reflexes and speed.

• scottjamesme

scottjamesme

#33666995 - 1 week ago

Grimm's Howl: Aggravates all Grimm within a 10 mile radius to the users' location. User may leave once the 'call' has been made, the location itself acts as a frenzied zone. Note; The stronger / 'wiser' the Grimm is, the more they are able to resist call. Call is weakest at edge of radius, and strongest at center. After 30 minutes, Grimm disperse at their own discretion, but may still be re-agro'ed under normal circumstances.

Pro: Can be used to lure Grimm from a certain area, or cause havoc during battle. 

Con: Grimm are simply agro'ed, not controlled. User and allies are susceptible to attack. If no Grimm are within radius, semblance is useless. 

Clairvoyance: User may focus on what is -about- to happen (up to 1 second). Rather than predicting the actual future, Clairvoyance heightens the users' predictive capabilities.

Pro: Having a sleight edge in every movement gives a significant advantage to the user (Basically a visual spidey sense)

Con: Vision is not the absolute outcome, and may be tricked by false information.

True Stealth: While semblance is active, all trace of the user is 'obscured' from existence. Any memory, audio, video, writing, or any other conceivable form of acknowledgement is met with hazy comprehension. Even face to face confrontation with the user gives recipients no more sensation than feeling "Something is in the corner of my eye" or "I feel like I'm being watched."

Pro: Although best paired with other forms of cover, may be used to hide in plain sight from both animals and people. Gives a similar impression as a stranger walking through a moving crowd.

Con: Semblance requires focus, complex tasks such as using weaponry or talking may break semblance. Effects both allies and enemies, meaning tactics may fall apart if teammates forget the user, or may be startle by the users' reappearance.

Silver Tongue: Targets are more susceptible to users' suggestion. Range of effectiveness varies greatly depending on the targets feelings. Ex; An enemy may be no more effected than 'double-taking' a suggestion, while a stranger may obey direct commands. many variables effect the semblances' potency such as contact (face-to-face conversation is more effective than radio), tone of voice, stress, trust, etc.

Pro: At the very least can be used as a distraction, at the most may be used to convince others to do things they normally would not.

Con: Depends greatly on the target. Under certain conditions, may be borderline useless.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33667298 - 1 week ago

In reply to JackIceheart I really like the idea of this, it's very creative. However, two things:

I don't like the name 'garage'. Doesn't feel like a name someone in the RWBY universe would use. I actually like the sound of 'inventory' much more.

You say something about that it varies from user per user. Does that mean there is more than one user with this semblance? That is very rare in the main show.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33667299 - 1 week ago

In reply to ScottJamesMe I like these! I take it they belong to a team you've made up?

• JackIceheart

JackIceheart

#33667308 - 1 week ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie  Thank You! Hmmm.....maybe I should change its name to The Room. Inventory or Item Box feels too game like.

Oh, and as for the varies from user to user, what I actually mean is that the power of the semblance largely depends on which kind of character you are giving it to. How old are they? Are they lazy or hardworking? Do they have talent or no talent? What are their beliefs? How much did they trained? Are they even an hunter? Stuff like that. Of course, the semblance itself is a one unique thing.

For example, let's take a person called Bob, give him this semblance. The power of semblance will depend on above stated factors. 7 year old Bob may only carry about 12kg of stuff in his room, but 8 year old Bob might be able to carry 23.5kg of stuff. Lazy Bob might have a smaller portal opening radius then the hard working Bob. Talented Bob might find a way to open 3 portals at once faster then the not so talented Bob. Bob that trains about 2 hours a day might have a average 2m opening portal radius, while Bob that trains 22hours a day may have 8m of opening portal radius.

I put it in the words "differs from user to user" to show that this semblance may develop or stay that way depending on the user's trait, and that there are no limits on evolution of semblance.

Lazy Bob and Hardworking Bob, while the same "Bob", is not the same user of the semblance.

On that note...........I really do think that Ruby's semblance is literally tops of any semblance, because if it is developed fully, she will be the living cannonball of death. What ever she touches, it will turn into a ripped shreds of things because of the law of physics, and she can literally move so fast that she can cause sonic boom everywhere. She won't even need her weapon at that point. I imagine she could also move so fast that she could surpass time and time would slow down on her.........

Oh, wait. Time? She DID froze that dragon grimm......and nobody said she froze it with ice? She turned it into rock, like it became fossilized?

Maybe Ruby's, and all silver eyed warrior tribes have semblance that is Time related? I don't know. Just ignore that part. 

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33667310 - 1 week ago

In reply to JackIceheart I see, I just figured you already had a character to go with the semblance. But turns out it's still openstuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

• scottjamesme

scottjamesme

#33667584 - 1 week ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie Yea nothing in stone, but I have a general idea about where the teammates come from and how they interact. Maybe I'll post in the character creation forum one day.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33667662 - 6 days ago

In reply to scottjamesme Looking forward to seeing them!

• kathyrne

kathyrne FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33667668 - 6 days ago

From a really long fanfiction I am currently writing (currently on page 107).  Two Semblances from my team Morning.

Tactical Accuracy-

The ability to know exactly where a weapon held by the user is pointed.  They always know where their 'bullet' will travel.  Useful in making precision shots, but of no value when unarmed, and does nothing to promote natural weapon skills.  (Monette, the person who uses the Semblance, is armed with a rifle sized rail gun.)

Rejuvenating Empathy-

The ability to rekindle and restore other people's auras.  The effect requires physical contact and can be psychically and emotionally draining.  The effect is not instantaneous, but can be applied over time.  It cannot be used by its owner to restore her own aura. (Russet, a tall bear-eared faunus.)

The third Semblance I have is tied to the story's main character, and Gwyn may be considered by some to be OP.  Not sure.  Also, it involves lore that isn't cannon to RWBY.  I know some people might get offended by that.  

The idea for Gwyn is: when the four maidens were created, it created a power imbalance.  Since nature abhors a vacuum, four powerful Grimm 'essences' were created.  Like the Sisters, these 'essences' could take possession of a Grimm and transform it with great power.  They were The Bear, The Boar, The Knight, and The Wolf.  Clan Blaidd (pronounced "Blythe") is a family clan that dedicated itself to fighting against The Wolf in all of its manifestations.  At some point, one of the Clan figured out a way to use a combination of Dust and... something... to bind The Wolf to his soul.  He was able to channel The Wolf's power (which is near limitless), but was subject to fits of extraordinary rage.  Simple arguments could turn deadly, and he had to fight constantly to keep The Wolf living within his soul in check.  Eventually, he became a monk in the mountains to limit the damage that the captive Wolf could do.  Upon his death, The Wolf was freed, but after a few hours it vanished.  Nine months later, it was discovered that a child of Clan Blaidd had inherited The Wolf from their ancestor.  (My inspiration, a Remnant version of a Werewolf.  Physical power and savagery, but dangerous and difficult for the Cursed One to control.)

Like any Grimm, The Wolf can sense negativity (fear, anger, hatred), and these things can cause it to break free of the control of the Cursed One (the one who inherited The Wolf).  People see Gwyn's fingers turn into claws, or her teeth turn into fangs, and they assume that is her Semblance at work, in combination with her strange metabolism (she can only eat raw meats, for example) and her temper and anger issues.  In fact her Semblance is:

Empathic Symbiosis - 

The ability to use the positive feelings (love, kindness, caring) to strengthen her ability to cage and channel The Wolf.  This requires Gwyn to form an emotional bond with others, however in certain instances when those individuals turn against her, they reduce her ability to resist The Wolf instead of strengthening it.

• thesilverj

thesilverj FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33667943 - 6 days ago

Moonlight Sonata: When the user sings specific songs, they can affect all those surrounding them in different ways. While one song makes them doze off for a moment, another will make them burst with energy as long as the user keeps singing. One song can accelerate aura regeneration, while the other makes their punches weaker.

Eclipse: This allows user to increase their full potential in combat up to 125% its original amount. User can regulate how much of their power they can grow (they can make it only double as strong sometimes), which is useful because this semblance weakens them as a side effect. User can only stay at maximum power for about seven minutes, before collapsing. Another side effect is the appearance of their eyes. When they use their semblance, user's eyes shift into a bit of a more darker and sinister tone, kind of simulating an actual eclipse.

SoulTech: Allows user to transfer their soul into electronics and take control of them. However, due to security and technical construct, gaining control over certain devices can take longer than with others.

Hertz-Sight: Gives user the ability to see through inanimate by the use of vibrations.

Bear Might: They can summon a hard light bear that envelops around them and user can control through their own movements. Only works for a limited time.

Refracted Dispersion: Similar to Flynt Coal’s Killer Quartet, but the doppelgangers move freely and it reduces their remaining aura depending on the amount of clones made. One clone drops to half, two clones gives you a third of it, and so on.

Shadow Steps: Allows user to move through shadows or simply hide among them, enveloping themselves in it and disappearing. The countermeasure of this is the quanta of energy consumption it takes to move among the shadows, and it’s even worse when trying to jump from one shadow to the other. Hiding in one spot takes less energy, but is still very tiresome.

Ichor: User can shed tears of blood that can heal injuries. They can also use their blood to summon the dead, but the greater the being, the greater the blood loss.

Shadow Mode: To other people, they becomes less visible. A shadow, if you will. The maximum duration of the illusion depends on their movements. The more they moves (like let’s say user starts running), the less it will last. User can, however, exert their aura supply to maintain the illusion for longer.

*That's just to name a few, but I would like a bit of help for another one please.*

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33667956 - 5 days ago

In reply to thesilverj I generally think these are very creative! I especially like bear might. The only ones I have trouble with are ichor and eclipse. Ichor just seems overpowered, especially the dead summoning part. Eclipse is more of a personal gripe because 'stat boost' semblances are very common and I just think they aren't very good. Also, arbitrary usage times or percentages seem overly video game stat-like, and less organic, so to speak. No one in the canon show has a semblance of which usage times, recharge times, or any type of percentages are ever mentioned. Mostly, I just see these kinds of semblances be used on characters the creator doesn't know what else to give. However, there could be exceptions. For instance, if the personality of the character fits perfectly with that semblance. However, this is such a 'general' stat boost, that I doubt it. But again, this one is more of a personal opinion.

What other one did you need help with?

• tsuyoross59

tsuyoross59

#33667960 - 5 days ago

Intangibility: The ability to phase through objects and people for a short period of time.

Benefits: Stealth. Can use ability on other people and objects, but for a shorter time.

Drawbacks: If used too much aura is completely depleted.

• thesilverj

thesilverj FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33668025 - 5 days ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie I started working on a fanfic and I always have problems with weapons and semblances for the characters. So my last team member needs a bit of help with that.