Forums > RWBY

Original Semblance Ideas

Posts (1974)

• Arita25K

Arita25K

#33691097 - 8 months ago

In reply to RlyehianBuddha

Hm, yup, I definitely see your point there when it comes to magic, which I honestly forget is a thing within the show, but I’m obviously overlooking things. Either way though, I’ll definitely change it to astral projections then, and a fully body which would be taxing on the body itself and straining, unless I find something else, but I’m definitely keeping this in mind. Thanks.

Now I gotta figure out that one I’ve gotten before, but at least this clears things up for me with my big guy I planned. 

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33691098 - 8 months ago

In reply to Arita25K

Also, my two cents for the split personality Semblances. All Speculation and Opinion of course:

A Semblance represents one's soul, so I would think they would still only have one Semblance. However, That semblance would probably be broken into two pieces, both representing a different side of the person. A split personality doesn't mean your soul has two different sides, its all part of the same whole with variations as the personalities change and evolve.

So you'd have a Semblance that, when one side has control, would focus on an outward force, but when the other is in control, it would become an inward force. Both equally as strong and viable as the other and at the same time being a complete Semblance if both sides were to come together as one. It doesn't have to be opposite effects either, they would just have to differ slightly to reflect the side of whoever's in charge.

A person with two Souls, however, is a different case and may be able to have two Semblances. But they would share the same aura as they have the same body.

• Arita25K

Arita25K

#33691100 - 8 months ago

Hahaha! That’s exactly the answer I’ve been searching for, and you my good sir, have just provided! Two personalities, a rash, and stubborn one with violent tendencies, and a smart and tactical one with sense, with a semblance that’s broken due to their fragmented state! Now, just comes in a semblance that’ll fit if they were together, and then figure out how exactly the semblance itself could work. Hm, maybe some sort of semblance that relies on the heat of battle, the more they fight, the stronger they’ll be, but without the sensible side, it burns out a lot quicker and drains aura, whilst the other lasts longer but doesn’t provide as much power?

This’ll definitely take some time...

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33691110 - 8 months ago

In reply to Arita25K

You could also so something along the line of Chaotic and Orderly in terms of differences. If you want another duality theme.

• Arita25K

Arita25K

#33691136 - 8 months ago

Like basically one is more loyal to the law, is kind to others, and likes to resolve situations without violence if he can while the other one loves violence, breaking the laws, doesn't care for anyone, and likes to fight.

Cause personalities have been taken care of if you mean that. The semblance is what's getting to me, Astral is for another, and I'm debating if a wooden axe would be it or some mechashifting weapon, which I might go with. Also, I've gotta ask, but what about a semblance that alters reality itself and the only real limit is the aura, which would be a lot, and maybe an area of effect around said user?

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33691145 - 8 months ago

In reply to Arita25K

Okay, the personalities makes sense.

Now:

The closest thing to Reality Manipulation would either be Emerald's Perception Semblance or Weiss's Time dilation. Depending on what the extent of "altering reality" is, It would probably be too far.

Altering reality sounds too close to a "Reality Gem" level of power, where most semblances focus on a single aspect. With the exception of Weiss's Semblance that can do almost anything she wants to. (Which I still think is a bit OP but that might just be me.) 

Semblances (except for Weiss's) are usually only minor powers that help during fights or convenience. (Ruby gets a burst of speed, Nora gets a temporary buff when struck by lightning, Ren can calm and hide emotions, Raven creates portals, but only to those she's "bonded to". None of these save for the Maidens or Ozpin have any overwhelming power by using their semblance alone. (Again, this is why I don't like the Summoning aspect of Weiss's but I'm just going to stop that rant right here.)

Aura is a very finite thing, and is actually very fragile. Even experienced Hunters like Qrow, etc. lose their auras very quickly in fights and having a strong Semblance that doesn't last long hinders the fighter more than anything. 

My suggestion would be to maybe figure out a Semblance that you like and then modify it to fit your personalities separately. Then split the Semblance in two so that only a certain aspect or style of use can be used by a single personality at a time.

• Arita25K

Arita25K

#33691402 - 8 months ago

I think I’ve gotten the semblance down, at least what that’d make some sense and is definitely something I like, something that’d definitely fit what I’ve got, even when it’s broken apart, it’d personalities and their ways of fighting in general. 

Semblance: Boom Boom! 

Description: The Boom Boom semblance allows one to generate both heat and gas, allowing them to be able to cause an explosive blow to any opponent, or even spontaneously combust, causing a minor but powerful explosion to knock back enemies, and it can be channeled into his weapon and fists, able to deal blows that’ll hurt.

Weaknesses: The semblance itself is hands on, it cannot be made to fire out explosions, even if channeling it into a weapon. Boom Boom also causes damage if the explosion is close to him when channeling explosive power. A premature explosion also can hurt his allies and himself if he doesn’t emit anything.

Now, with how it works, since it’s gonna be split, the more good side of my character can have one aspect as the other bad one will too. The explosions can only be caused by generating high temperatures and releasing gas. So, the bad side can get generating high temperatures, not sure what, to maybe providing cutting edge with just an axe or something, and the more goodish one can release gases, maybe to shroud himself or something? Whaddya think?

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33691489 - 8 months ago

In reply to Arita25K Ai ai, a split personality character. That's gonna give you some trouble with certain members on this forum. ESPECIALLY the black and white 'good' and 'evil' divide. Personally I'm not that upset by it because the disorder is yet to be proven legitimate in the real world, but shit man, I still wouldn't do this.

• Arita25K

Arita25K

#33691491 - 8 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but even then I am known to sometimes go with the flow, and if those members have a problem then I don't mind talking with them as long as we don't hate one another, I'm always willing to talk and discuss, because there are some things I don't see, but sometimes there are things they don't see either. Thank you though for your advice, man. I appreciate it. 

• Luffygear55

Luffygear55

#33691992 - 8 months ago

Name gluttony 

Ability let's the user eat any type of dust and gain that ability for a short time 

Fire ice lighting ect. 

Limit's time is dependent on the amount of dust he eats but also if she eats over a certain amount at one time he will feel a backslash and Begin receiving damage from his own abilities slowly  in addition he can not mix elements together he can only use one at a time

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33692030 - 8 months ago

In reply to Luffygear55 Pretty sure infusing yourself with dust already allows you to use that elemental ability. Why would you need a semblance for that?

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33692254 - 8 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Can confirm infusing yourself with dust can work. Though I'm sure depending on the method, some methods are more dangerous than others. 

As far as the Semblance goes, I'm not quite sure how that benefits the user either.

You could probably also infuse dust into your clothes or armor to achieve something similar.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33692343 - 8 months ago

I, too, can confirm this to be canon as a standard possibility for all Remnant kingdom residents. We see evidence of this as early as Volume 1 as well as a direct reference to this from General Ironwood in Volume 3. There may have been others that I missed, but those two are very clear examples.

• Wehosh

Wehosh FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33692888 - 8 months ago

Here are some subtle semblance ideas. Personally I like the idea of passive abilities over shock n awe style builds.

Name: Preflex

Description: Basically your reflexes operate at such a heighten level they are able to react to the actions of those in the immediate vicinity with astonishing accuracy. Similar to seeing the future, but without the user being aware of it. You would basically block or react to an attack before you consciously knew it was happening.

Strengths: Impossible to ambush, never truly surprised, and extremely fast reaction skills. Coupled with good problem solving skills, and you become extremely versatile in a fight. 

Weaknesses: the more chaotic and unpredictable someone is in a fight, less you can predict. It gives you an immediate edge in a fight, it doesn't show you the future.

Name: Parsyte

Description: you are able to absorb someone else's aura and use it to strengthen yours. Happens passively in a fight, so they get perpetually weaker the longer they are around you.

Strengths: the longer the fight, the stronger you become. The stronger someone's aura is, the more fuel you have. 

Weaknesses: shorter fights, less useful, less aura, less fuel. Effects allies too.

• user-5a5c1129bf123

user-5a5c1129bf123

#33693278 - 8 months ago

In reply to Dinobot01 My idea, being similar to Qrow and his passive semblance, Would be the area of effect ability of negating semblances. It can't be targeted and effects all within its range. Rendering fights to range, or pure combat skill. A name suitable may be along the lines of black or diamond. (Black being the absorption of colour and light, or diamond being the reflective nature, balancing out the colour). 

• user-5a5c1129bf123

user-5a5c1129bf123

#33693279 - 8 months ago

• user-5a5c1129bf123

user-5a5c1129bf123

#33693282 - 8 months ago

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33693291 - 8 months ago

In reply to Wehosh

Preflex is similar to one of my Semblances, so I'd like to say that being ambushed by one person would be nearly impossible. But being ambushed by a group is still very likely, since the people ambushing wouldn't be in the "immediate area", and ambush implies the surprise attack on a target, not the successful capture/kill/steal of a target. If the person doesn't consciously know that an attack is coming, the ambushers still have the element of surprise.

I feel like this needs more of a weakness side before adapting this to anything. (Needs balancing)

Parasite (I assume you meant) is kind of bad in many ways. Effecting an area where allies and enemies both are injured in order to give someone the ability to survive any long battle sounds horribly OP and needs to be worked on.

1. Draining allies with a passive ability is not good in any means, and even deadly. 

2. The ability to feed off of the aura drained is way too strong in a group fight.

3. AOE passives should be toned down to the extent of minor abilities that keep happening. If you eat everything around you while simultaneously gaining strength, this leads to a very unbalanced Semblance that kills everything they meet.

4. I've said this before, Aura is a frail and very finite thing. Draining someone constantly would end the fight almost immediately if it had any noticeable effects on singular targets.

And lastly, I'd like to say that you should define "Passive". Qrow's Passive Semblance is always on, but a "Passive" Semblance could also be toggled into passiveness. And before anyone goes and makes a ton of Always-on Semblances, you should note that Qrow said his Semblance "Isn't like most." meaning it is highly irregular.

I have no problems with passive Semblances, but they need to be balanced enough to be able to function on a much smaller scale, considering the length involved in using such a thing. such as "occasionally making a table leg break." and "A building's already damaged support beam happens to crack under pressure." Not "Everyone around me takes constant damage while giving me extra strength" or "I can never be touched by a predictable target."

Sorry for the long review.

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33693292 - 8 months ago

In reply to user-5a5c1129bf123

Same goes to this Semblance of "Disabling all Semblances"

If you just cancel everyone's abilities, you'd have to disrupt their souls and their aura. This one is also a bit OP because of what I just got done typing. An AOE Passive Semblance should be the lowest in power and should not have some crazy powerful effect.

The Semblance is an extension of the Soul/Personality, if you canceled this you'd be effectively cancelling out their Auras and no one would be able to protect themselves with that person around.

This is mostly my theory crafting since there isn't a hard copy stating how Semblances should work, but I stand by my reasoning. 

I would like to suggest that cancelling a Semblance could be achieved by injecting Aura into another body, which is achieved by normal Aura control, similar to when Ren or Fox use an aura pulse to explode a soulless Grimm. In theory this could be used on a person to disrupt their Aura and temporarily stop a Semblance from activating.

• elfman16

elfman16

#33693306 - 8 months ago

In reply to Dinobot01

So basically kira from jojos bizarre adventure

• user-5a5c1129bf123

user-5a5c1129bf123

#33693354 - 8 months ago

In reply to RlyehianBuddha According to "Aura", the fourth installment of RWBY: World of Remnant, Semblance is a more tangible projection of one's Aura. Pyrrha Nikos implied this connection when she told Jaune Arc that the use of Aura can help him to discover his Semblance. Miles refers to Semblance being "fueled" by Aura. I don't recall Aura being dependent on semblance. It seems to be the other way around. So the 'negate' would still be plausible. Also, it would be OP if the huntsman/huntress was an incredibly capable fighter, but it is still easily possible to lose blow for blow, for example a novice versus someone such as Tyrian. Plus it might be an interesting parallel or plot piece.

• user-5a5c1129bf123

user-5a5c1129bf123

#33693356 - 8 months ago

In reply to RlyehianBuddha Also, in regards to semblance being representative of soul/personality, some take this as correct, whilst many others also believe the opposite. Mentioned early in. It wouldn't be too powerful, in the sense that you can stop semblance's of allies or enemies (not targeted, just proximity), but you don't gain additional power. They remain constant. Aura would remain just as potent.

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33693395 - 8 months ago

In reply to user-5a5c1129bf123

Ok, you make a valid point for the personality/Semblance and Aura dependence on Semblance.

However, I still have some unresolved issues with this. (Mostly personal bias so take these with a grain of salt.) 

It's not so much a "this makes the fighter OP" It's more like, "This Semblance has no business being this strong if it's always active." If you are constantly negating everyone's Semblance around you, I have a feeling the drain would be enormous. The reason why passive Semblances work is most likely due to their drain being lower to or equal to their aura recovery. Cancelling a Semblance would require much more Aura than random spurts of bad luck. (Although there are no precise measuring of this so this is just me trying to balance things in a lore friendly way.)

Also, While I don't mind the semblance idea as a whole, it's fairly uninteresting and uninspired. If there was something that made it unique compared to every other "Power Negating Effect" created before this, i would have a much better time accepting this fully, and while I see the potential for how this would affect the character with this Semblance, it's also kind of cliche at this point. 

I'm not trying to dismiss the Semblances, I'm just thinking of the repercussions of Semblances like these to the user, lore, and uniqueness. 

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01

#33693411 - 8 months ago

Name: Freezing Field 

Power: The user casts a field on the ground that paralizes all enemies caught in it. Whether Grimm or human all those the caster considers enemies are frozen.

Limit: While the field is activated, the user cannot defend themselves. They must focus on maintaining the field. The bigger the field is, the more Aura it consumes

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33693417 - 8 months ago

In reply to Dinobot01

I'd have to see the specifics on "frozen" and how big the field can get, but sounds fine to me.

I could see this used in combination with others. Also, can the user pick who is frozen inside the field, considering it specifies enemies?