Forums > RWBY

RWBY WHO ARE THE OTHER MAIDENS!? Theories

Posts (33)

• mummyfrog

mummyfrog FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Team RWBY

#33129422 - 2 years ago

Look right, my theory goes completely off of naming tropes but bare with me.

OK so firstly this theory came to be after reading somebody else's, I forget who they are anyway.

Right so Cinder FALL is the new AUTUMN maiden right. So what if Summer Rose was the SUMMER maiden and was killed by Cinder and co. (Also right I don't think Cinder is the leader.) But right Summer managed to give he powers to Ruby Rose before she died thus making Ruby the new summer maiden. If we continue this patter Winter Schnee could be the Winter maiden. I have less to go off of here but her name is WINTER and they made a huge detail out of her previously considering she was only in like three episodes. The only problem is that no character introduced yet is named spring (although there could be someone with Spring in another language)

• TheJersy

TheJersy

#33131038 - 2 years ago

My personal guess is that there is one maiden per kingdom (going after them would thus create an opportunity to visit those other kingdoms). For Atlas, Someone in the Shnee family is kind of the obvious choice for the winter maiden, but I would hesitate to point my finger at Winter - too obvious. I don't think that Ruby would be the summer maiden - She already has a few Mary Sue points due to being accepted into Beacon despite being two years younger and being appointed the team-leader on top of that, and throwing this maiden stuff into the mix would be too much, not to mention she doesn't appear to exhibit any fire-related powers (it would rely on the powers being dormant for whatever reason). My guess would be that the summer maiden is somewhere in Vacuo (desert theme alludes to fire). Fall maiden eded up in Vale with it's "Forest of Forever Fall", which would leave Mistral as the possible hideout of the spring maiden.

• Mr_Ilax

Mr_Ilax FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Yang Shot First ;)

#33131073 - 2 years ago

Well, I would say.

• Raven - Summer
    • Cinder - Fall
    • Glynda - Winter
    • Summer - Spring

Cinder is obvious right?

Raven's portal style matches the same style as Cinder's flame attacks.

Glynda. I don't know why, there is something about her that makes me think she is a maiden.

Summer because of a pattern. Team STRQ could very well have been responsible for protecting Maidens. Qrow is still doing it. But if Raven got her maiden powers, causing her to leave, then Summer may have done the same thing. I have searched and found no actual comment stating Summer is dead. If Summer died later, her powers would most likely have passed to Ruby.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33131143 - 2 years ago

Well, we haven't met any of Jaunes sisters yet. And he has 7 of them. So, it's likely that one of them could be a Maiden

• IsaacOhi

IsaacOhi FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33131269 - 2 years ago

Other than Raven, I don't think any of the other maidens have been introduced yet. I think that whomever Cinder is working with is a maiden and that they might be collecting the maidens power for...reasons...idk. I mean, Cinder didn't need maiden powers to make Vale...Fall. (haha...I'm funny) But really, if the maidens were taken out of the equation, things could have still turned out the way they did. Correct me if I'm wrong. (not sarcasm btw...I'm know for being wrong)

• SemiColonPunctuation

SemiColonPunctuation FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33131321 - 2 years ago

In reply to Mr_Ilax

If Summer Rose was a maiden, then how could she pass it to Ruby? I mean, there's no doubt that everyone in Team RWBY will inherit the maiden powers by the end of the series, but it seems that if you have maiden powers you will know so almost immediately.

I think that the reveal of who is the maiden will not be disclosed until later, meaning that they are characters we haven't seen yet.

• Mecharic

Mecharic FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33131342 - 2 years ago

Ok so here's my theory that's probably been said a million times already: Ruby is the Spring Maiden. Summer was the former Spring Maiden, which is why Ruby doesn't know, she's been a maiden all her life so that power either is dormant or used subconsciously - and she was let into Signal & Beacon due to both Qrow & Ozpin knowing she'd need the skills to protect herself eventually. Expanding on subconscious use of the power - that's how she kicked that griffin into the ship after it ate Roman, and why she took no damage during that fight. No normal person could have managed that without even a fricken scratch, and then as per the preview she's STILL FIGHTING and still unharmed by the point everyone else is tired and hurt. That's not normal endurance and durability.

As for Maidens being linked to Kingdoms - I don't think they are. Ironwood was the leader of Atlas prior to being pulled into the 'circle' with Qrow & Ozpin & Glynda, so it goes to think that the Maidens operate independently of the cities, and are not known by said cities. On top of this, Amber didn't seem to be in Vale prior to her injuries, just near Vale (maybe not even that, since she had to have gotten to Atlas pretty quickly to not die prior to the machines being hooked up to her).

Also, remember that the Maidens are able to choose who gains their power when they die, if they have the mental frame to do so or if they die peacefully (old age) so it is entirely possible that a family could pass it down over generations in order to keep it safe and under their control. I doubt it's the Schnee family, since they have summoning, but... well, perhaps the summoning ability was originally part of Winter's power (since it seems to be ice-related) but broke off or slowly melded into their own semblance and auras, becoming part of their blood? Could mean the same for the Branwen family, hence Yang, Qrow, and Raven all having the red-eyes-take-warning feature, but with the females being much more red-eyed than Qrow has shown thus far.

Beats me though, I could be entirely wrong xD

• SneakyDex

SneakyDex

#33131608 - 2 years ago

In reply to Mecharic

I agree mostly with you. Although I disagree in one point. I do not believe the maidens can die of old age. That is why only young women can acquire the power. A maiden stays young as long as she has the power. That is my little theory on this.

And I agree Ruby is a dormant maiden. It's the only thing that makes sense considering how she is treated by everyone (Qrow, Ozpin, etc). It is one of the few explanations for the "silver eyes" comment of Qrow.

Plus, her power-levels are all over the place. Sometimes she can take a beating no one else could. And sometimes she is just utterly helpless. Sometimes she wrecks sh** (especially when fighting against Grim), sometimes she can't do crap. Being able to kick a grim into a ship made of solid metal (or metal-like material) killing it and can just kick a Nevermore away that is about to attack her from below as she is hanging from the ship, but not able to even scratch Torchwick in a fight. Can't punch anyone properly but can wield a giant Sycthe around with deadly power and accuracy. Survives ridiculous falls (Ch. 10 rocket-locker to Atlas Command Ship), takes more than double the beating of Yang (Neo + Roman). Plus the whole Roses theme and her speed (wind-like) semblance she has.

She just makes NO SENSE, unless she is a secret maiden. Otherwise, I'm sorry RT, if it turns out Ruby is nothing special, just normal, no maiden, nothing else special (that is yet to be revealed or introduced to the world of Remnant), then I just have to say Ruby's character is badly written, at least on a combat/power level. Which I do honestly not think is the case.

• Mecharic

Mecharic FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33131858 - 2 years ago

In reply to SneakyDex

With regards to Maidens dying of old age... maybe they can't, which would open up the possibility of the "she" being one of the original sisters who's lived for hundreds/thousands of years and has lost her faith in the goodness of humans/faunus and as such wants to tear them down. It would also greatly increase the likelihood that Ozpin is the wizard, if the maidens are immortal than surely the wizard would be too.

That said, I don't think they're immortal. I can't see the Wizard being cruel/careless enough to force one of the sisters to live forever if she didn't get herself killed or commit suicide to join the others.

• SemiColonPunctuation

SemiColonPunctuation FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33131910 - 2 years ago

In reply to Mecharic

I still disagree that Ruby's maiden power is dormant, I don't think she has it yet. If the first maiden revealed is Fall, then the next maiden revealed would be Winter. And to the point of Ruby still having strength after her fight with Roman, unlike Blake or Yang she hasn't suffered any bleeding injuries that would render her WIA. Remember that this is an anime, main characters will only suffer extreme damage when the plot demands it. It's not maiden power that has kept Ruby surviving, it's the fact that any damage she has suffered has not rendered her unconscious.

• SneakyDex

SneakyDex

#33131922 - 2 years ago

In reply to SemiColonPunctuation

I disagree. In vol. 1 we have seen Jaune without aura being beaten. In this scene he had blue spots (bruises) on his face indicating physical damage.

Idk if it's the maiden power, it was only a theory that I used to combine it with another theory of mine, but in the end no matter what, Ruby seems to have a lot of aura (shield) reserves in comparison to others, since there were no scratches or bruises on her after the Neo/Torchwick fight.

Also, when I learned one thing about Rooster Teeth it is that they often do things that are unexpected by people. And revealing Winter after Fall because that is the ORDER of the seasons is not necessarily a given.

Also interpretations of the "Little Red Riding Hood" fairytale establish a possible connection between the fairytale Ruby is based on and the coming of Spring.

I'll hold on to my Ruby dormant maiden theory, although I obviously think if it is done it has to be done right, otherwise it might seem too much like a Deus Ex Machina and make Ruby an OP character, which is something we obviously do not want either.

• SemiColonPunctuation

#33131926 - 2 years ago

In reply to SneakyDex

I agree that it is clear that Ruby will inherit the spring maiden power, I don't think that is dormant in her. Whoever is the spring maiden will die and Ruby will inherit that power. The fact that such incredible power is thrust upon a young girl will be a way to lessen Ruby being an OP character as there are emotional consequences to offset the power.

• SneakyDex

SneakyDex

#33131936 - 2 years ago

Yeah, emotional consequences, on top of having to learn how to deal with the power and use it without it getting out of control probably.

The only thing that I personally think could speak FOR Ruby having the powers already but not knowing might be that Summer had the Spring maiden powers (would be kind of ironic, but then again, ironic fits Rooster Teeths style) and having given it to her at a very young age.

I just...... well, I said it basically all in my previous posts. You can (hopefully) get where I'm coming from with my frustration and with being slightly annoyed by some of the things regarding Ruby's abilities and powers.

• Mecharic

#33131950 - 2 years ago

Except for when she took a griffin to the face, when she took explosions to the face, when she took Torchwick to the face... she should be bleeding from something at this point, if only like a broken nose or from the corner of her mouth. And kicking the griffin (looked like an alpha too) through the fricken ship is what really convinces me of it, since there's no way she'd be able to do that on her own after she got her ass handed to her by Torchwick.

A theory on why her power is active against Grimm but not people - she wants to be the 'hero', and heroes don't go around killing people and such, so the power isn't active unless she's fighting monsters (Grimm).

• SneakyDex

SneakyDex

#33131958 - 2 years ago

In reply to Mecharic

Well, I think SHOULD it turn out to be the case, it is definitely something subconscious that she sometimes uses the power and sometimes not.

Also again, like I said, it is of course also possible (in regards to taking those beatings) that she just has a very high aura reserve. But in the end that does still not explain her ridiculously varying strength throughout the series.

• Mecharic

#33132059 - 2 years ago

In reply to SneakyDex

The only way to explain it with just Aura & Semblance is that she isn't willing, subconsciously, to use all her strength/power against humans/faunus, only Grimm, so she's weakened when fighting actual people instead of monsters. Which, again, *would* make sense to a degree - she's always shown superior combat ability against Grimm rather than humans/faunus.

• SneakyDex

SneakyDex

#33132085 - 2 years ago

In reply to Mecharic

Still, her lack to land ANY form of blow is either a deep psychological issue (which would be kind of worrying), or it makes no sense to me. She is not Yang, so she certainly is not the "hothead" in combat. She is short of course, which gives her a disadvantage. But still. I mean it is of course theoretically from a plausibility standpoint POSSIBLE that she is actually that weak. But from a design POV it makes no sense. Nor does it make sense that she can take on Grim that easily in comparison to people. I mean obviously people fight different and they have aura. But her inability to land ANY blow even in those moments where she seems to fully INTENT to do so makes this whole thing very weird, frustrating, annoying, and nonsensical IMO.

Also, like I said in vol. 1 ch. 1 she has not problems stomping Torchwicks hired goons with her Scythe or throwing them through the window.

• Mecharic

#33132093 - 2 years ago

In reply to SneakyDex

Fair point... but when you think about it, the folks she does well against are the ones least 'human', that is, Roman's mooks had red sunglasses and black clothing - similar coloration to the Grimm, making it easier for her to use her power. The White Fang literally wear Grimm masks. If it IS a deep psychological issue that she can't hurt individuals who she considers people (like Torchwick & Neo) then that would probably be her primary character flaw and the key character development she needs to make in S4.

That said, I fully expect her to be a Maiden and just not know yet, so no active use of power, only passive subconscious use, combined with a bit of holding back against 'people'.

• SneakyDex

SneakyDex

#33132095 - 2 years ago

In reply to Mecharic

Well, at this point it can really be anything from psychological issues, over being weak to counter the upcoming maiden powers up to bad writing. I just hope it isn't the latter, that is all. And I hope we will get a clearer picture of all that soon.

• SemiColonPunctuation

#33132142 - 2 years ago

In reply to Mecharic

An interesting point to bring up is the fact that Ruby said in the first episode of the first volume that she has been training her entire life to be a huntress. Couple that with the fact that she is 15 and we might as well be looking at child soldier. Someone perfectly capable of taking out people she has no relationship with, but difficultly when facing people she has relations with.

With that aside, I'm hoping Miles and Kerry really delve into the psychological effects of everything that's been going on when we see Volume 4. Ruby's world has been completely changed, and if anything like the secret existence of the maidens is revealed to her, she going to have a hard time trusting anyone.

• SneakyDex

SneakyDex

#33132152 - 2 years ago

Well she will definitely grow suspicious about her mother and Qrow, considering the former just disappeared ("never came back") and the other always knew about the maidens (with her father possibly knowing too and being left by 2 women - Raven and Summer).

• SemiColonPunctuation

#33132187 - 2 years ago

In reply to SneakyDex

Doesn't she talk to her mother's grave at the beginning of Volume 3? It would be interesting if Summer Rose does show up at the end of this volume, but then that just feels like Rooster Teeth is just repeating the twist of Volume 2.

• SneakyDex

SneakyDex

#33132203 - 2 years ago

Then again, no one would expect it.

And lets be honest, we all knew Raven was not dead.

• Mecharic

#33132272 - 2 years ago

Summer Rose is almost definitely *dead* dead, not just 'dead' dead. They never claimed that Raven was dead, only that she left, but Summer has an actual grave so the story is saying she's dead and I'm fairly certain it's been said by RT that Summer is truly dead. The only way she could be back is either has a summons by a Schnee (now that would be a twist eh?) or as a ghost/memory/mirage/hallucination.

• SneakyDex

SneakyDex

#33132293 - 2 years ago

In reply to Mecharic

Well, to be fair, they lied about other characters being dead in other shows as well (Red vs Blue for example).