Forums > RWBY

Pyrrha Nikos general discussion

Posts (34387)

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33665889 - 1 month ago

In reply to tin-foilhat

"We might get a "put her soul to rest" arc but RT might play that up as her potential big return when really it's just the show giving her character proper closure so Jaune and the audience can move on."

Now THAT would be baiting the audience.  If they play that up as a possible return, KNOWING they're not actually going to do that, then isn't that the very definition of "baiting"?

As far the idea that RWBY is a feminism show....Ummmmmm....Pyrrha's whole character was used to prop up a male character's growth.  We get hints that she's powerful on her own, but it's her use by the writers that undermines the feminism message, if there really is one.  Hell, her death did the same thing, just flimsily disguised because Ruby's Silver Saiyan power-up was thrown in our faces.  It really was no different than Stuffing Her Into a Fridge for Green Lantern Jaune to find.

And if we get a Jaune/Ruby pair later, then we can absolutely say that Pyrrha was just used as Jaune's "getting experience" romance.  The sum total use of Pyrrha in RWBY is EXACTLY the type of thing that ultimately sparked the rise of feminism in fiction, so I really can't call RWBY a feminist show.

• AAGGRESSS

AAGGRESSS

#33665984 - 1 month ago

In reply to FettucCR

In reply to WrightKnight

In reply to tin-foilhat

The problem with what people want to be done NOW in direct response to what is a negative trend is that they don't want LBGT characters to be antagonists AT ALL, and it implicitly sends two objectively wrong messages:

1. That all LBGT individuals are good and cannot be bad people
    2. That the only people who CAN be evil/bad are straight people

In reply to tin-foilhat

Damn Wright, you took the words out of my mouth. To that I'll add my two cents.

I've seen many people acting like the fact of having a LGBT character would actually make everything better. May I ask why? Why having such a character is inherently good? I thought characters are good or bad, depending on themselves, not on how they reflect the real world.

I have living in a world where we have to have such discussions. Are characters gay or straight? Why does it have to matter? Make them straight, make them gay, I don't care, as long as they're well written characters.

Agreed

• AAGGRESSS

AAGGRESSS

#33665987 - 1 month ago

In reply to tin-foilhat

In reply to Bumblebee4life

The thing is it strikes me that Marvel is putting good characterization that appeals to the majority in contrast of putting diversity and good characterization at the forefront in contrast to D.C. Who is putting diversity before good characterization as a marketing strategy which in itself wasn't working until lore and behold THEY GOD WONDER WOMAN which was great as it struck a three way balance of being a feminist film, good characterization, and a third breaking the norm of White male leads being played by an Israeli woman.

Of D.C. can produce more films like this sign me the fuck up now.

How is it a feminist film? Diana wouyld be a good character nomatter who or what she was.

• JROY

JROY FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Gaurdian Lvl.1

#33666058 - 1 month ago

In reply to WrightKnight

You make it sound I'd be pissed if he was lying.

• NickPotterfi

NickPotterfi

#33666060 - 1 month ago

In reply to WrightKnight Just because Ruby the main character doesn't mean she should be with Jaune. Pyrrha is the one for him.

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33666086 - 1 month ago

Vol 5 interview

So a couple take aways.

Miles admits that splitting the party was bad and hard to write he also thinks missteps were made.

Vol 5 and 6 NEED more time to tell their stories well which is why we get 2 more episodes they need the extra time.

Also Miles said this

ML: We have the roadmap for the overall story, but when it comes to figuring out how much of the overall story are we going to fit into a volume that’s tough, because we can’t just stop mid-arc because then it’s not going to feel satisfying.

And sometimes you find yourself in a place where there’s not a super great end point here, but if we had a little more time we can hit this marker and that would be great. 

And we found out early on when we were pacing out the season that Volumes 5 and 6 will be difficult to navigate from a yearly release standpoint. That’s when we brought up the idea if we can do longer episodes or more and we decided on the latter.

This indicates to me Miles is aware how unhappy people are over certain arcs. Not just Pyrrha but Yang Blake and so on.

Also Yang is Hyperfocused on Ruby and she has issues she needs to deal with.

Barbara Dunkelman: She’s just hyper focused. Theres something she has to do and wants to accomplish and she’s just going to do whatever she can to do that task. She’s focused on her sister and her friends and is still dealing with abandonment issues from multiple people in her life, including Blake.

• NickPotterfi

NickPotterfi

#33666096 - 1 month ago

In reply to revanninja Is this another clue about P money coming back.

• JROY

JROY FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Gaurdian Lvl.1

#33666097 - 1 month ago

In reply to NickPotterfi

No not really.

• NickPotterfi

NickPotterfi

#33666098 - 1 month ago

In reply to JROY Well there has to be more. She needs to be back.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33666126 - 1 month ago

In reply to JROY

Perhaps, perhaps not.  That being said, you have, in the past, relayed things they've said to us in a tone that suggests that you believe them solely because it came out of their mouth, which is what a lot of the RWBY fans tend to do.

For me, I think it's a case of "truth from a certain point of view", which is another term for "very effective lie", as it has a grain of truth to it to make the lie they're telling you more believable.  Perhaps they've already come up with that cool idea to use Pyrrha for and have already sown the seeds for it.  Perhaps that was a part of "the plan" the whole time.  Who knows, but my overall point has always been to not trust the writers' word at face value, since they have the most reason to lie about future plot.

• tin-foilhat

tin-foilhat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33666186 - 1 month ago

In reply to AAGGRESSS

It's a feminist film, or at least seen by many, for its nuanced portrayal of a super heroine that doesn't turn her strictly into a sex object. She is a well-rounded person and a more realistic take on an athletic female. No, Buffy Does not count as "realistic athlete" because a large part of her character was based on being a tiny waif-like woman with super-powers. 

As old it is getting to keep harping on Josh Whedon, a large reason his feminism has become less popular in recent years is his tendency to "victimize" and "traumatize" his heroine in that they are broken women that can only find empowerment AFTER they are brutalized thanks to patriarchy. Diana wasn't THAT. She was a woman who possessed a distinctly heroic spirit that driven her to be a hero and kept her as one.

Than there came James Cameron's comment, but I'm not going to. People can look that up for themselves. 

But without feminism, Wonder Woman couldn't be as GOOD as it is. The movement SHOULD, at least for me and more rationally minded people, be about writing women as PEOPLE and not because they are people defined by their sex and femininity. That is the complete opposite of what feminism preaches: EQUALITY for all sexes. This also includes issues of women receiving better health because they have biological difference from men. 

but is just as equal. I bet there are also a LOT of issues about feminism that mainstream feminist realize should be. Did you know there is criticism amongst feminists "white radical feminism" is the predominant mainstream idea of what the feminist movement is about that fails to address the plights of minority women? This includes, and I am not even joking, as something not based on class, race, religion, or nationality. That race and class don't have a part in the feminist debate when FUCK YEAH THEY DO.

I work across the street from a hospital where I see half a dozen women a day dressed up in nurse scrubs and wearing a hijab. That because they are Muslim women they will be passive to those who assault them physically no matter how independent and educated they are. They see these women as "weaker" than the average white American woman and I swear to fucking god these are women who work in emergency rooms and trauma units. Before they are see an medical professionals they are seen as Muslim woman, weak, and thus a patient or doctor might not have faith in them as say a blonde haired middle class woman who divorced her jackass husband and raises two children as a single mom. She might be passed over for promotion in favor of the white woman despite working longer hours, having more success with her patients, coming in on her days off to fill in because say the white Woman had to call in because her children kept getting sick. Yes, the one is only looking after her children but the Muslim woman has put in the time and the effort but she won't be promoted because the position requires more contact with patients and customers service skills she "doesn't have the necessary qualifications for." 

So yeah, feminism is important. That's not to say it isn't problematic I'll one of the first to admit it needs to do better. It shouldn't be about woman going "roar my ovaries! Down with the patriarchy!!1one" but so many people see it as. Feminism is making sure Hollywood is safe for women from men like Harvey Weinstein who sexually harass women into sexual favors so they can advance their careers meaning her only crime was refusing to spread her legs instead wanting to be based on her talents that don't exactly fit the skill set listing on a prostitute's resume. 

It's about you have a problem with the way Pyrrha Nikos was handled by RT and demanding she get better treatment because, damn it, she was such a hardworking, incredibly heroic figure that was tossed aside for Jaune's manpain and a fucking little girl's advancement. Pyrrha EARNED her heroism, Ruby was just handed hers thanks to winning the genetic lottery. 

So yeah, I consider Wonder Woman to be a feminist film in that it doesn't concentrate on her femininity being a source of strength or that she isn't weak for them. Instead the film treats her as a PERSON before she is a WOMAN.  Not that she is a sexualized victim, object, or miss super independent. 

And just because I am a feminist, doesn't mean I'm not inherently aware of how problematic the movement is and how lacking and hurtful and detrimental to society it can be. One of the big problems I have with mainstream feminism it that it mostly concentrates on the plight of girls and women and their issues and treats young boys and men as though their pain and issues are less important than a girl's just because he doesn't have two X chromosomes. 

My father was brutalized by his own father within an inch of his life when he was FOURTEEN, and my paternal aunt complains she got "the short end of the stick" simply because she was daddy's little girl instead of a strapping young man like their older brother. My mother's side of the family is incredibly sexist towards men saying "oh he's just like that because he's a man" when I'm thinking, "No, it's because you're an insecure hag that puts down your husband and son about not 'manning up' so you can feel better convince yourself you aren't scum of the earth for treating them like pack animals. And lady, if they were animals you would be arrested for animal cruelty."

• JROY

#33666202 - 1 month ago

In reply to WrightKnight

Its not just that Gray said it to me but in the manner he said it. To me he sounded like he was being sincere and I feel he was, as for the panels you can say what you want about them but as for Gray  that was enough for me. And like I said he said that her coming  back wasn't completely off the table if they had a really good idea, though he did kinda bring up that if that did happen it would be a while, like around 5 years. 

...and yeah Nick before you say yes I think some people would be fine to wait that long or people to still be surprised and excited for her to come back.

• NickPotterfi

NickPotterfi

#33666211 - 1 month ago

In reply to JROY I'm hoping for her to be back while I'm still in my twenties. Plus I doubt it.

• novusdawn

novusdawn FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Xenos need not apply

#33666222 - 1 month ago

In reply to JROY

Well you have to remember that these people are professional actors and they have a vested interest in keeping this close to the chest. Now that doesn't mean he wasn't 100 percent sincere with you and was telling the truth but honestly I feel that if you don't bring a character back from the dead within a few seasons then they are not coming back. five years down the line would be too long and there would probably be a NEGATIVE reaction to bringing her back as by then people would see it as nothing more than trying to pander to former fans and views that have left. It would feel really like RWBY's 'jump the shark' moment and probably signal the beginning of the end for the series.

I mean even if we can believe that it hasn't 5 years in the series it will still have been at least 2 years because of the time skip, placing Jaune at at least 20 and the world would be in a completely different state than she left it. She would be a girl out of time and also it would be kinda hard to cover up a 2 years dead former idol and probably symbol of Beacon with her own statue coming back from the dead. Really a dead character has a shelf life in regards to when they can believably brought back with few exceptions. So if she isn't back within another volume or 2 then odds are she isn't coming back at all.

• tin-foilhat

tin-foilhat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33666233 - 1 month ago

In reply to novusdawn

The thing is are we talking five years from when season 3 ended or five years as of now? I could still see them bringing her back in five years but as a villain. Like she gets pissed they moved on without her or her beloved "team" with the man who replaced her that set her on the path to her self-destruction.

• novusdawn

novusdawn FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Xenos need not apply

#33666244 - 1 month ago

In reply to tin-foilhat

I don't think that even a evil Pyrrha could hate the friends she abandoned by throwing herself needlessly under a bus because they moved on. Now a mind wiped Pyrrha I can see or possible a HEAVILY mind fucked Pyrrha but Pyrrha herself couldn't. She KNEW her trip up the tower was one way so she can't be used in that approach without heavy mind alteration. She would actually be better off rub the fact she died in their face and use their failure to demoralize them. Like be glad she died and reborn and now want to spread that 'gift' to her friends. Fuck that would be a amazing way of doing it, the allure of massive power and to be with a friend and lost love for eternity? That is more in line with a twisted Pyrrha.

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33666255 - 1 month ago

In reply to novusdawn

Or even worse: a mind-controlled Pyrrha, who does know, but cannot do anything about it.

• tin-foilhat

#33666276 - 1 month ago

In reply to FettucCR

And she stands there begging Jaune to kill her because it's the only thing they can do to save the world to keep Pyrrha from becoming one of the very monsters to sacrificed her life to stop?

Man, and I thought Lovecraft was one dark and bleak motherfucker.

• JROY

#33666295 - 1 month ago

Confirmed Yang's going after her mom.

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33666315 - 1 month ago

In reply to JROY

Where because the interview flat out said she was going after ruby and she was focused on her

From my phone 

• JROY

#33666323 - 1 month ago

In reply to revanninja

...you know what just got shown in theaters right?

• revanninja

#33666326 - 1 month ago

In reply to JROY

Yes I also just looked at reddit and no one was talking about that.

It also flies in the face of what Barb JUST said about what Yang is doing and her goal is.

Notice an issue here?

• JROY

#33666328 - 1 month ago

In reply to revanninja

Yeah both on Discord AND Reddit people are saying the same thing, Yang's going after Raven.

• revanninja

#33666333 - 1 month ago

In reply to JROY

I am not seeing from where I looked but you know what that means right?

Barb and Miles Lied in an interview.

Because they said very clearly that Yang is focused on finding her sister and thinking of her and her friends.

Speaking of getting into characters’ heads, where is Yang’s head in Vol. 5?

Barbara Dunkelman: She’s just hyper focused. Theres something she has to do and wants to accomplish and she’s just going to do whatever she can to do that task. She’s focused on her sister and her friends and is still dealing with abandonment issues from multiple people in her life, including Blake.

So this is them right here saying she is focused on her sister yet if these spoilers are to believed that ISNT the case.

See the issue I was talking about?

• user-572df514355fe

user-572df514355fe

#33666345 - 1 month ago

In reply to NickPotterfi I agree on a certain scale but take down a notch or everyone's gonna start complaining again okay?