Forums > RWBY

Pyrrha Nikos general discussion

Posts (37101)

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33683757 - 9 months ago

In reply to acw28

Well tex and Church are revived which means the AIs have a chance to come back.

For Lopez considering Sarge that really isnt a bad fate for him.

As for Wash and Carolina yes but they are aware of those issues and working on them.And its clear Wash and her are better then they were in Freelancers which is kind of the point.

Keep in mind RvB isnt done yet so those things you bring up? Can be fixed but RT has a tendency to revive and generally try to make things better.

People repent people grow and so on. They like making their characters WORK for it which is where I think you misunderstand things.

EDIT

Hold up I am getting things mixed up here.

Tex and Church werent revived I was recalling something else and was mistaken.

The rest of the point though does stand they have in fact killed and revived characters for example Sister was stated to be killed by Lopez turns out no she was just passed out. She is alive and reunites with her brother.

Again not perfect endings but for the most part happy endings for most involved.

• user-572df514355fe

user-572df514355fe

#33683762 - 9 months ago

In reply to revanninja the way you described it sounds a lot like this anime i watched called chaos dragon where the main character can use the power of the red dragon but in exchange must offer up the life of someone close to him, if you get a chance watch some of the episode and try and do a comparison of what you just said about SEs and grief and see if it's a bit like that.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33683763 - 9 months ago

You mean because she might be backseat-driving in Ruby's head?  I could see that, getting her back as a by-product solely because of how they're joined.  Then you have Ozpin not able to do it again because magic's gone (the extra effort in re-creating Pyrrha's body accidentally), AND if Pyrrha dies again, she's gone for good.

• NickPotterfi

NickPotterfi

#33683766 - 9 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight Hopefully she doesn't die again.

• user-572df514355fe

user-572df514355fe

#33683770 - 9 months ago

In reply to NickPotterfi Agreed, once was more then enough for us thank you very much!  triumph

• NickPotterfi

NickPotterfi

#33683771 - 9 months ago

In reply to user-572df514355fe If they don't bring her back. I might end up reanacting the Christmas bonus scene from Christmas Vacation.

• user-572df514355fe

user-572df514355fe

#33683774 - 9 months ago

In reply to NickPotterfi Never really saw that to be honest so i have no clue what you're talking about.

• NickPotterfi

NickPotterfi

#33683780 - 9 months ago

In reply to user-572df514355fe Okay.

• lewdadmiral

lewdadmiral FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33683854 - 9 months ago

In reply to acw28

I'm actually a fan of a total resurrection, no corruption, but at the cost of all her memories.  This would be cute in the sense of Jaune would have to first become an above average Hunter first in order to even get Pyrrha back, and then the roles would be reversed.  He would have to win her heart again and then become her teacher as she was his.  It would also play into the Pyrrhic victory theme as well. 

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33683873 - 9 months ago

In reply to lewdadmiral

She's already fulfilled the Pyrrhic Victory crap, and that was done when she killed Penny.

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33683876 - 9 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

Does that really cover that though?

Because Pyrrha was tricked on that and it wasnt her intent to kill Penny or do any of that.

I am actually thinking the reason why the Blast back was so strong was because 

V3_09_00055.png

She was seeing this and was judging her attack strength based on what she thought was there.

And because it wasnt the wave was too strong.

So I dont think it was Pyrrha hitting Pyrrhic Victory with that simply because I am not sure Pyrrha was going for a win with that move she was countering a huge attack in her mind.

And of course the Tower isnt a Pyrrhic Victory because Pyrrha just loses entirely on that and has no win to speak of.

• HunterBlaine

HunterBlaine FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33683878 - 9 months ago

In reply to revanninja

Yeah that scene has always seemed odd to me. I mean, knocking the swords away i get, but how did they wrap around Penny so perfectly as to cut her into pieces?

• revanninja

#33683879 - 9 months ago

In reply to HunterBlaine

Well that is actually easy.

They crisscrossed. See the Blade come from her backpack which it stands to reason so do the spools so when Pyrrha knocked them back they crossed over Penny and got tangled.

That is the basic idea I work with anyway.

• HunterBlaine

HunterBlaine FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33683880 - 9 months ago

In reply to revanninja

That DOES make sense, now that you put it that way. 

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33683881 - 9 months ago

In reply to revanninja

She still won, whether she meant to or not.

• HunterBlaine

#33683882 - 9 months ago

In reply to revanninja

Hang on, i thought of something else. Why didn't Penny command them to stop once they started wrapping around her?

• revanninja

#33683884 - 9 months ago

In reply to HunterBlaine

Happened too fast or the wave damages her ability to do it she does grasp her chest like she is in pain.

In reply to WrightKnight

Yeah but I don' think it works just because she won as it was a rigged fight.

There is a trope where the villain loses but wins but I cant recall nor look it up right now

From my phone 

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33683896 - 9 months ago

In reply to revanninja

The trope you might be referring to is Xanatos Gambit, but the thing that prevents this from being that is that Emerald cannot control how someone reacts to her illusions, nor can she make them rationalize them.  It's entirely possible that Pyrrha could have reacted in a different way.

• AAGGRESSS

AAGGRESSS

#33683912 - 9 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight One good thing bout this thread is you guys are all (mostly) exelent at analysis and debate. I have been gleaming a lot of writing tips and ideas from here that I plan to use in my own work. If you have Deviantart, contact me and I will credit you guys.

The real phyric victory here is RT themselves. They got exactly what they wanted and are telling a far more traumatic and adult story, but they way they went about it has left numerous fans sour and devided and their every attempt to joke about it or laugh off the decision just makes them look like ninnies.

• AAGGRESSS

AAGGRESSS

#33683915 - 9 months ago

In reply to HunterBlaine

In reply to revanninja

Hang on, i thought of something else. Why didn't Penny command them to stop once they started wrapping around her?

Some fans actually theorized that the EMP pulse Pyrrha accidentally put out was what killed her and she was rapidly shutting down at that point. Her being sliced up was just adding injury to insult. That is again presuming she was "killed" In any meaningful way (AI birtches!) And cant just be loaded from a backup save file, or microbeamed to another computer or body...or Rubys smart phone. Or into the body of a robotic wind up toy that Ruby will find...

Or worse into a skyscraper sized giant fighting robot that will then act exactly as cute and exciteable...

• revanninja

#33683927 - 9 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

No it's not that one.

I disagree because pyrrha wasn't in her right mind due to emerald.

Also em may have more influence then we realize but it' hard to get across properly after the aura issue I am keeping in mind they may not things across perfectly.

Since her semblance is so unknown and only what we can figure out which may be mistaken so I am not willing to say it's one thing until we get more concrete info.

Not knocking you to be clear

From my phone 

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33683960 - 9 months ago

In reply to revanninja

I do not think she has that level of influence, based on the situations that she has used it in.  We have already seen two cases where she promptly dropped the illusion the second something else happened to discredit what was being seen in the eyes of her target: Coco and Amber.  With both, they received information that contradicted what Emerald was showing them: Coco saw and heard the ring-out info for Yatsuhashi, and Amber saw the dust cloud Emerald kicked up in her approach to attack.  She also only uses her power in situations where she can seamlessly weave her images in with what is already happening, thereby making it easier to fool her target.  If she had any more influence than that, she would not have waited for that precise moment to show Pyrrha the Thousand Blades.  What we know of Aura actually has nothing to do with this, it is what she is showing them, when she is using her power, and what happens to make her stop using it that is key.

I had to do an in-depth study of Emerald and her Semblance when I was responding to the theory that Emerald might have saved Pyrrha.  She has considerable range, and it does look like she needs line-of-sight to her target and the location where she wants the images to appear, but as far as what she can actually do, she can make people see things.  She cannot make them believe them to be true.

• revanninja

#33683976 - 9 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

The issue with Pyrrha though is that pyrrha saw the blades multiply and clearly changed number.

Also as a counter to your point it may be that she didnt drop the illusion because they were discredited but rather they werent needed anymore.

Amber for example she sees the issue and the illusion continues but the whole reason Amber was able to see it was because Em was getting ready to attack. And so its possible Emerald didnt continue the illusion not because amber was taken out of it but because she was attacking and cant do both at the same time.

We already know 2 minds is not easy for her and she is shown concentrating to do her semblance.

Also while there was a couple of places she might have used her Semblance in battle such as when she is jumping behind trees during the coco fight that could be more Emerald is a ninja like character and she broke line of sight and used it rather then her semblance.

So its hard to say for certain if she can easily use it in battle or not.

CoCo does support your idea but that could be countered as there is a limit to what Emerald can make people believe. Sort of a range of things Yatsu being called was TOO far outside that range so Em couldnt make it belivable.

But something that works against is the Ambulance scene. Where Neo and Cinder dressed up like Workers took Merc and Emerald flat out states she worked on both their minds. Which based on your idea she wouldnt need to do as she can only make them see things yet Cinder and Neo are in Ambulance clothes so there is nothing for her to make them see.

Instead it seems more like she made them Buy into the whole scam aka making them thinking something.

That also plays into Amber as well since little girl in the middle of a field no houses around in a world where grimm are a real threat?  That shouldnt have been belivable yet amber clearly bought it.

As for Aura no that isnt what I meant. I meant the whole Aura needs to be activated that wasnt expressed properly to us the audience and so we crafted a Fan theory.

Because we have so little about what Em can and cant do I dont want the same thing happening which is why I am staying back.

So to be clear I am not saying you are wrong. What I am saying is I want more in show explanation of her powers and limits since we already have had a situation where we THOUGHT we understood and it turns out no we didnt.

Also as a general Note please excuse the mess that is From my phone Posts a new update has happened that makes it so my phone adds in ' with words like Cant which wouldnt be bad if it didnt close the keyboard and resize the screen when it does it which causes issues like Can' to show up and for me to lose trains of thoughts. Its because I am literally fighting Spell check and my phone being REALLY dumb.

EDIT

So once again not saying you are wrong because honestly I more then think you might be right but I am seeing enough stuff to say it may not be as we think especially since we know so little about Em's powers and limits.

• user-572df514355fe

user-572df514355fe

#33683992 - 9 months ago

In reply to revanninja Don't forget the ozluminati telling her about the maidens and all that other malarkey too so she was pretty stressed out at that point.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33683993 - 9 months ago

In reply to revanninja

With the ambulance scene, the only thing she was making them see was Mercury's "injury" as flesh instead of metal.  Had they checked it further, they would have noticed something wrong, which is why Cinder was there to "assist".

As for the little girl Amber saw, there's actually a number of scenarios within the setting that might have believably resulted in a little girl being there.  After all, we don't actually know where Nora came from, so it's plausible that Amber thought that the little girl might have been abandoned or been running from something.  People DO travel in this show.

As far as Emerald not needing the little girl illusion anymore, Amber clearly reacted to "something" kicking up some dust where, to her own vision, there was clearly nothing, so Emerald likely just went for it, thinking she blew her cover.  The one thing we can absolutely conclude is that Emerald's illusions are not physical manifestations, but hallucinatory images.  That was why the little girl kept shying away from Amber as she offered the apple.  The apple falling through the little girl's hand would have broken the illusion just as much as dust kicking up in Emerald's position when Amber clearly thought nothing was there.

As for not being able to use her power and attack at the same time, that's pretty mcuh countered by the flickering effect she was making Amber see as she and Mercury continued the assault (when she and Merc were fading in and out of "invisibility".  IIRC, she also didn't make HERSELF become visible on her initial strike against Amber.  While the little girl DID wink out, Emerald herself did not become visible to Amber.

As far as "line of sight" goes, think of Emerald, her intended target, and the position that the images are to be set up as the corners of a triangle.  Emerald needs line of sight from her position to both her target AND the location for the images, but she ALSO has to make sure that her target does NOT have line of sight to the location when she affects them.  It would certainly have looked odd to see a little girl suddenly wink into existence, yes?  Then she goes "you will see this image at this location".  I do think she can break LOS after that to re-position herself (she had to have done that to get into position to sneak attack Amber), but while she's setting up, she need LOS.