Forums > RWBY

RWBY Chibi: Super Serious (?) Discussions Abound! Season 2! Are You Combat Ready?

Posts (1014)

• Monotony

Monotony

#33180082 - 1 year ago

Yo! Here's where we all may discuss all things RWBY and Chibi!

As for the obligatory "yoink" from another RWBY discussion thread:

1: Write With Care: Grammar is good. No one is perfect, but as long as you make the effort to make your points intelligently, the conversation will be easy for everyone to follow and readers will know you care about what you are saying and respond in kind,

2: Conduct Yourself Respectably: The forum is a shared space. Please do not come in here trying to cause a mess or rile up some people. It is almost guaranteed you’ll disagree with someone else here but acknowledging that and asserting your opinion are not mutually exclusive. Keep in mind a good argument is more persuasive than yelling, screaming, and tearing into someone else’s character. Also be aware that first impressions can last. Try and present yourself with your best foot forward to start a successful journey through the thread.

Also the Rooster Teeth Forums are something viewed in public and the workplace, Please keep this conversation to a high “T for TEEN” level. We all swear sometimes, but do not treat this place like a gutter. We all know Yang is hot, Torchwick is a scumbag who deserves some trouble, Weiss can be quite the witch, and Pyrrha is pretty damn good in a fight. Even with the rising amount of content suggested for mature audiences in RWBY, it is still nothing R rated. There is more information in the Terms of Use you agreed to when you joined the site. You will be reported if you cross this line too far or too often.

3: Lurk: Have you ever have your mom tell you it is weird when you stay in the corner for a while to try and figure out what is going on before entering the social space? (Just me?) Well, in here that isn’t an issue. It is actually encouraged. By watching the thread you can see what is the tone and tempo of the conversation going on now. Also, instead of bringing up the same point over and over again, if you found something you want to continue talking about, you can reply to that thought someone else had and you’ve already got a foot in the door. Be careful though, if a topic is older (like a week) you may want to preface your statement or idea again. The key part of lurking is gaining a sense of where the conversation is at. It’s actually free to pay attention.

4: Try to Stay On Topic: Some threads, like this one, are made with a specific purpose. Try and be respectful of that. People come to specific topic threads for that kind of discussion. There are other threads for more general talking (Bar Threads) and you will be more than welcome there. This is not a chat-room. As to the specifics of this rule, what consists as “on topic” is something related to either the show itself or a show-relevant argument. For instance if something that happened is reminiscent of Star Wars, that is fine to call out. If you are making a point about radio science and no one seems to understand it, an explanation is fine. If a point about the conversation needs to be made, make it. But remember, this is a place about RWBY the show and all points of discussion should be able to be brought back to that. (Not all comments obviously, people can get distracted.)

5: Organize Your Thoughts: When reviewing the conversation in the thread, do not make an individual reply to everything. Try and make all of your points in one post with multiple replies. You can help distinguish where your statements are meant to go in the over-all conversation, but the “reply” function will help you for that. Post-spamming really just gums up the page and doesn’t present you that well either.

6: Remember This a Group Effort: Like the previous point, this one is about not dominating the conversation. All of us are all on different internet connections with different speeds as well as having different schedules and circumstances that may effect when and how often we speak. If you have a lot to say, a double post may be appropriate, but try to leave time and space for someone else to talk too. If you are the last person to have posted and you have a really cool new idea, give it an hour or two if you can. This is talking WITH people, not AT them.

7: Have Fun: That’s right, we should all be here because we enjoy RWBY and that is the most important thing. We are the greatest online community for a reason and that is because we can all have a good and respectful time together sharing the things we like and maybe even things we don’t like but even that should be a fine experience. Let other people have their fun too. A new conversation may start up with other people, if you have nothing, leave them be. This is a place where we all should be able to talk and have a good time, try it.

Other than that, have at it! Speculations, thoughts, reviews, derails, as long as it's within the parameters, it's all fair game!

So, what d'ya think of RWBY Chibi? :D

• Asdrubael

Asdrubael

#33180100 - 1 year ago

I really hope that this is where all the happy go lucky feels go; I am assuming this whole Chibi thing is something to add in all the lighthearted stuff they desire without being hindered by the tone of the show or its current context.

Since I would never take a serious Chibi thing er...seriously...

• Alexshow

Alexshow Time to change a thing..

#33180112 - 1 year ago

As far as how cute it is..even with one model (and it looking great in the finer details I may add); the chibiness is out of the house for this. I can't wait to see what happens in May, as I am hoping that they take it as a parody of RWBY; with bringing in jokes for the fandom, and having newcomers introduced to RWBY.

That said, its a good trailer.

• AgentWashingtub008

AgentWashingtub008 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Crackpot of Coffee

#33180115 - 1 year ago

I can't wait. I'd really like to know more, but it'll be soon enough.

It'd be cool if we get more Chibi merch from this. I'd love a mini Ozpin or Pyrrha for my desk or car.

• Alexshow

#33180116 - 1 year ago

In reply to AgentWashingtub008

I have to imagine that JNPR will be next for the Chibi plushes, to it makes sense; considering that Team RWBY's Chibi plushes are already out..(why did we all forget about those).

• ThereAreChildrenHere

ThereAreChildrenHere FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Worlds Okayest Detective

#33180147 - 1 year ago

I think the whole RWBY chibi thing is a good idea. It's a cool way to tell stories that they couldn't normally with the characters

• AgentWashingtub008

AgentWashingtub008 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Crackpot of Coffee

#33180154 - 1 year ago

Hey, you know what the current models remind me of? Anyone from facebook remember Buddy Poke from about 7 years ago? Obviously this is much smoother and cooler because RT, but if you want to make a quick OC...

Apparently there's no longer a browser version, but here's the website. I kind of miss it now.

• Kalilaila

Kalilaila FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Chaos Light

#33180158 - 1 year ago

I am kind of wondering if they decided to do this due to the large number of young children who like RWBY, and this is a version they can watch from this point moving forward. So I can see it as a semi-parody, but not a total parody like AOT:JH.

• matthunx

matthunx

#33180160 - 1 year ago

*sigh*

No no no NO!

They did the same thing with the old Teen Titans show. The original was good. Those anime-influenced, chibi-moments were acceptable for comedic effect, but then they did the new show, with full-on kiddy-animation style. Who can watch that? I suppose people who watch things like that pony-thing will be thrilled. As far as I know they even got the same voice-actors, from the old show to do their respective characters, but it still looked awful. I couldn't care enough that it was about their everyday lives, with the same voices, because my eyes just couldn't take the animation style. Same thing with the new transformers series, that was the sequel to TF: Prime. After the EXCELLENCE that was Prime they flushed the animation-style down the toilet and a large part of the show's quality immediately went with it. I couldn't finish watching the fist episode.

Is RT trying to target a younger audience, here? Or what? Don't be Nickelodeon.

I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt, for now, solely because it's RWBY, but...chibi-ing things detracts more than it adds, tone-wise, as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't matter if the focus of this chibi-fied series will be humor, above all else, and the tone and animation has to match that, it still not good to look at.

• AgentWashingtub008

#33180161 - 1 year ago

In reply to MattHunX

Hey dewd, your opinion's fine and everything, but is there a reason why you've typed it out like modern experimental poetry?

• matthunx

matthunx

#33180163 - 1 year ago

Because I wrote and copied the original from a small window. Edited it, since, "Dewd."

• AgentWashingtub008

#33180164 - 1 year ago

In reply to MattHunX

Long standing RT reference to break the ice, You seemed angry.

• matthunx

matthunx

#33180168 - 1 year ago

Oh, not angry. Somewhat disheartened by it. I'm guessing and hoping it's some one-off anniversary special, for them to celebrate the occasion with and nothing more. RT has done an amazing job, so far, breaking from the norm, and not following trends that other shows do. There is enough pandering out there for younger audiences. I wonder what the statistic are for RWBY. The average age of the fans and stuff.

• Metasponge

Metasponge Copacetic

#33180180 - 1 year ago

In reply to MattHunX

Probably similar for the average watching age of RT in general, probably way younger than we actually think.

I don't see anything wrong with it, it's something supplemental to run during the off-season. It's not like they've said, 'regular RWBY's done, we're going full-chibi now'

I'm thinking of it in the same vein as Attack on Titan: Junior High (which I, admittedly, haven't watched so I can't pass judgement), or silly OVAs.

Like @AgentWashingtub008 said in another thread, this looks like it could be RWBY's equivalent of the RvB PSAs, except running between seasons. It might possibly be non-canon and a fun way to show some interactions between characters that might not have a place in the regular show.

• Kalilaila

Kalilaila FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Chaos Light

#33180187 - 1 year ago

RWBY seasons one and two garnered a large number of pre-teen viewers; however the latter half of season 3 got way too dark for the younger end of that demographic. RWBY Chibi, can be something that they can watch, while the older viewers can keep watching RWBY. You cannot really compare RT adding RWBY Chibi in addition to the normal RWBY volumes to the Teen Titans Go completely replacing the original Teen Titans series. As Meta stated above, RWBY is going to continue as expected this Fall; there will just also be the RWBY Chibi starting in May.

• Metasponge

Metasponge Copacetic

#33180189 - 1 year ago

In reply to Kalilaila

Exactly, I absolutely understand where @MattHunX is coming from, because a lot of people have similar feelings about Metroid Prime: Federation Force which has a very chibi art-style compared to every other Metroid game.

However, my issue with FF is that it's the only new Metroid that we're getting since Other M in 2010. I don't lament that it exists, I dislike that other Metroid games don't. If it was supplementing a main-series game? Cool, but it's not.

Not only is regular RWBY going to exist alongside Chibi, but I highly doubt the quality of volume 4 will be detracted from because of resources being diverted to Chibi.

Until Chibi is the only thing RWBY that we're getting or we see a huge drop in quality in the regular show, I simply can't agree that it's a bad thing.

• DoYourResearch

DoYourResearch

#33180191 - 1 year ago

I can't use the "Reply" function anymore (along with some other functions as well) for some reason. Am I the only one with that problem?

I hope, we still get some more additional world building in RWBY CHIBI. At least sometimes...

EDIT: I will take this show as another foreshadowing that volume 4 will have a lot of splatter.

• RoseMaryM

RoseMaryM FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold PYREverse Artist

#33180205 - 1 year ago

I'm honestly really pumped for RWBY Chibi. Why? Because I fucking love the Chibi Art style (which they ocassionally used back in Vol.1 I believe ) so I'm happy to see that making a return.

I hope it's somewhere in the vein of the "Fullmetal Alchemist Chibi Party" thing. I'm just looking forward to having some character building and non-canon light-hearted interactions between everyone. Also Pyrrha will most likely be around for some of those episodes which makes me very happy if that's gonna be the case.

• Metasponge

Metasponge Copacetic

#33180211 - 1 year ago

In reply to Afr0

Rooster Teeth as a company don't do April Fools jokes. The company was founded on April 1st 2003 and they like to announce things on their birthday, so all announcements that come directly from the company are 100% serious.

• AsariVanguard

AsariVanguard FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold new high score!

#33180261 - 1 year ago

on the off chance that people are actually getting riled up over the adorable-ness of RWBY chibi, have an image to use at your earliest convenience

but oh my god, a lot of the characters are going to look super adorable oh my god I am not prepared for this!

• Monotony

Monotony

#33180376 - 1 year ago

Derail:

Wot character are you most excited to see?

I'm going with old shopkeep. His cabbages will be toast. :P

• ChazzaWard

ChazzaWard FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Theoretical Skeptic

#33180379 - 1 year ago

In reply to Monotony

Chibi Velvet will be mega cute ^.^

• Alexshow

#33180380 - 1 year ago

In reply to Monotony

I'm really excited to see Cinder and Nora in terms of the designs..and in the possible humor, Qrow.

• ChazzaWard

ChazzaWard FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Theoretical Skeptic

#33180381 - 1 year ago

In reply to Alexshow

if qrow is not beer stained then they have failed him

• DoYourResearch

DoYourResearch

#33180386 - 1 year ago

*cough* Salem