Forums > RWBY

Arc System Works RWBY Fighting Game

Posts (53)

• Ogiga99

Ogiga99 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33281034 - 11 months ago

Accidentally put this in the general discussion but it should probably go here.

Hello all RWBY and fighting game fans. I probably should have made this earlier but oh well.

So back in May, Forbes interviewed Daisuke Ishiwatari and Mori Toshimichi of Arc System Works, the directors of the over the top anime styled fighting games Guilty Gear and BlazBlue respectively. While the interview was mostly about Arc System Works and its development, towards the end of the interview Mori said something very surprising.

“If I were to make a game based on something that wasn’t a complete original…it would be based on the intellectual property of RWBY…If we were to ever make a fighting game of this, I would want to really spearhead that if possible.”

Now while RWBY has certainly been popular in Japan, I never expected to hear something like this. Of course on its own, this is just a cool idea. But then Kerry tweeted the article and added that what Mori said “Would be pretty cool…“ At the very least, we learned that Rooster Teeth was aware of what Mori wanted to do, but that tweet could easily have just been a giant tease.

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to go to RTX this year so I made it my mission to track down either Kerry, Miles or Gray and ask them if an Arc System Works RWBY fighting game was something being seriously considered or if Kerry was just trolling us. For most of the con I was unable to find them until the very last minute on Sunday when I was able catch Gray for a second to ask the question at the end of the Fan Service Podcast panel. His response?

We’ve said hello.

And that was all I needed to hear. If he had told me no that would have been the end of it, but just from that response we know that Rooster Teeth has been in touch with Arc System Works. This means the idea is actually being considered and discussed. At this point I would say a RWBY fighting game made by Arcsys (whose insane and flashy style fits perfectly with RWBY) Is a very real possibility.

I made this thread as a place to discuss this potential game. I would

love to hear everyone's thoughts on whether or not you think this will

go anywhere, what you would like to see in the game, ideas for playable

characters and mechanics etc.

• Mattattack01

Mattattack01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33283160 - 11 months ago

That sounds amazing to think that the show could have been so famous is awesome. I think a RWBY game would be awesome and I would buy it immediately. I have to say that if they don't they could at least turn one of the character into an unlockable character in one of their games That would be cool too.

• orsongorringe

orsongorringe FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33285156 - 11 months ago

More possible evidence that this game might happen...

Last question during [RT Games RTX 2016 Panel], someone asked about a Rwby Fighting Game.

"... we would love to do a fighting game, but honestly like no one on this panel but has ever worked in a fighting game before and... it's not an easy game to develop, but we got really excited when we heard there was an interview that somebody had with arc systems and their the developers of guilty gear and in this article came up like hey if there was a licensed property or anything that arc would make a game out of and they said Rwby and that was something that you know really peaked our interest, like, i think we need to get a hold of these people... so it's very possible if we were to do a fighting game like that... We might, you know go out in partner with another developer to do that."

Source: RT Games RTX 2016 Panel

Time: 1:00:20

• orsongorringe

orsongorringe FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33285167 - 11 months ago

In reply to Ogiga99

I made this thread as a place to discuss this potential game. I would

love to hear everyone's thoughts on whether or not you think this will

go anywhere, what you would like to see in the game, ideas for playable

characters and mechanics etc.

Mechanics might have something like BlazBlue "Drive" or in Rwby's case, "Semblance".

I could see Ruby Rose's (Drive/Semblance) would work like Rachel Alucard's Silpheed Drive ability.

• Ogiga99

Ogiga99 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33286654 - 11 months ago

In reply to orsongorringe

Mechanics might have something like BlazBlue "Drive" or in Rwby's case, "Semblance".

I could see Ruby Rose's (Drive/Semblance) would work like Rachel Alucard's Silpheed Drive ability.

I agree about Semblances being a similar system to Drives, with each character's unique system assigned to one button. Although personally I see Ruby's as being closer to Tao's Dancing Edge than Silpheed since Ruby tends to use her Semblance to launch herself forward at high speeds whereas Silpheed can push everything around Rachel from any direction. But that's just me. Any and all ideas are appreciated.

• orsongorringe

#33286885 - 11 months ago

In reply to Ogiga99

Any ideas about how dust would work?

I can't really think of any that i actually like, but closest thing i could come up with is have dust work like Guilty Gear Revelator's Special button from M.O.M. mode to cast different dust spells.

• Ogiga99

#33288496 - 11 months ago

In reply to Ogiga99

Any ideas about how dust would work?

I can't really think of any that i actually like, but closest thing i could come up with is have dust work like Guilty Gear Revelator's Special button from M.O.M. mode to cast different dust spells.

Sorry it took so long for me to respond.

I don't really think they need any kind of system devoted to Dust. For most characters Dust is just an energy source used in their weapons or general fighting style. All it does for Ruby is change the element of her sniper shots, Yang just uses fire Dust in her weapons and characters like Ren or Pyrrha don't have any kind of Dust actually noticeable in their fighting styles. Even the most Dust focused character, Weiss, uses it in conjunction with her Semblance so having various different Glyphs based on the type of Dust would still fit into the "Drive" system. Otherwise it will probably just be different specials for elemental attacks.

• orsongorringe

#33288672 - 11 months ago

Do you think that range/gun attack should have its own button?

Also as for Guilty Gear, i main Baiken. Love her counters. Would like to see someone with those specials. Maybe Jaune Arc with his shield/parry? #BuffJaune

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33289564 - 11 months ago

If they're going to combine close-ranged attacks and fire weapons, I believe they could make a combination system, like Cervantes in Soulcailbur, he has dedicated button combinations to his gun. It could work.

Also, the RWBY characters have spectacular moves to work as special attacks. Right now I'm thinking in the fight between the Team and the Atlesian Palladin, and also the combination of glyphs Weiss uses against Sawbane. Goshdarnit, a game like this could be awesome!

• Ogiga99

#33290267 - 11 months ago

If I had to guess they would probably just relegate ranged attacks to special moves like most fighting games. Most characters do not have enough variation to justify giving up a whole button since most of them fire one type of projectile and the only thing that changes is which direction they fire which can easily be covered by having a ground and aerial version of the special (ground fires straight, aerial fires downwards) or by having an Aim Stance like Naoto from Persona 4 Arena (entering the stance than choosing which direction to fire via button inputs).

Also, a full button dedicated to ranged attacks might be a bit spammable, wouldn't lend themselves to combos as well and would make characters who don't have ranged attacks like Jaune a bit too mechanically different.

@orsongorringe: I'm not very familiar with Guilty Gear so I don't know exactly how Baiken plays. Is she counter-focused like Hakumen from BlazBlue? If so I agree about Jaune having a built-in counter with his shield and being very slow but strong. It would make sense since Jaune is the least mobile/physics-defying character in RWBY so he would fit Hakumen's simple yet effective moves and combos.

@FettucCR: I agree about the special attacks. RWBY has so much over-the-top awesomeness to use and since that is Arc System Works's MO they are the perfect ones to do it. i could easily see things like Ruby's finishing move from the Volume 4 trailer, Weiss's final attack on the Knight in the White trailer or Blake's combo attack that defeated Roman in No Breaks as just a few of the possibilities for awesome supers and instant kills.

On a completely different note, what do you think the roster would look like? Arc System Works fighting games tend to have 12-13 playable characters in their first installments so I'd imagine around that. All of Teams RWBY and JNPR are pretty much guaranteed (if there is a story mode at all it will probably continue the trend of Grimm Eclipse and the manga and be set before Volume 3 so Pyrrha could be in it) but the other 4-5 characters are up in the air. My personal guess would be Sun, Cinder, Mercury, Emerald and Roman since they are probably the most relevant characters, although I would absolutely love to see Qrow, Velvet and Penny (especially Penny in all her Nu-13/Mu-12-based glory).

• orsongorringe

#33290282 - 11 months ago

In reply to Ogiga99

@orsongorringe: I'm not very familiar with Guilty Gear so I don't know exactly how Baiken plays. Is she counter-focused like Hakumen from BlazBlue? If so I agree about Jaune having a built-in counter with his shield and being very slow but strong. It would make sense since Jaune is the least mobile/physics-defying character in RWBY so he would fit Hakumen's simple yet effective moves and combos.

Baiken has 4 Specials Attacks and 5 Tension Attacks that are related to blocking then countering.  

The 4 Special Attacks do not always hit depending on the location of the enemy, so knowing which ones to use is important.

As for the 5 Tension Attacks, they take up your Tension/Limit Bar to debuff your opponent on hit.

Baku Ki    Opponent cannot jump for 14 seconds

Baku Rin    Opponent cannot use special attacks for 14 seconds

Baku Ryuu    Opponent will inflict less damage for 14 seconds

Baku Hou    Opponent will recieve more damage for 14 seconds

• orsongorringe

#33290290 - 11 months ago

In reply to Ogiga99

On a completely different note, what do you think the roster would look like?

I would be surprised if penny wasn't in the first roster.  She is basically already made.  It wouldn't take Arc long to make penny.

Starting with Volume One
    Both Teams RWBY and JNPR.

Penny and Son
    Roman Torchwich and Adam Taurus (from Trailer only)

That is 12 characters from just volume one.  However, that means that there is only two villains.  Don't think that the Malachite Sisters and Junior would make it in.  There is just not much on them in the show/manga.  So i'm sure they will do at least volume two characters.

Would like to see all of Cinder's Faction, but i could see some of these characters being added later.

Character Ideas:
    Adam seems to power up when blocking
    Roman could have MK Scorpion's "Get over here" seen when capturing Ruby.
    Weiss = Blazblue's Jin + Glyphs

• orsongorringe

#33291455 - 11 months ago

I would bet that Mori Toshimichi of Arc System Works, was thinking of Blake when he made Blazblue CF new character:   Hibiki Kohaku.

Drive: Double Chase

Hibiki's drive allows him to summon clones of himself in various directions, or, place himself in the current location of a clone. The clones can be hit, but Hibiki will not receive any damage. 5D summons a clone directly in front of Hibiki towards the opponent, while 6D puts Hibiki in the location of that clone. 2D summons a clone underground that will perform a rising attack after traveling towards the opponent, and 3D will put him in that location. J.D summons a clone forward in the air (j.6D puts him in that location), while j.2D summons a clone diagonally downwards (and j.3D will put him in that location). Hibiki's clones can serve a multititude of purposes such as: in blockstrings, using them to travel the screen, in combos, and to zone out the opponent. These are just a few of the many applications of clones.

Source: www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/BBCF/Hibiki_Kohaku

• orsongorringe

#33291528 - 11 months ago

Here is my idea on Yang's Semblance Drive, based off of BB Izanami's Drive.
    Source:  dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/BBCF/Izanami

There might be better ways to do her semblance, but this is all i could think of using current Arc System Work's mechanics. 

Semblance Drive: Rage 
    Yang has two modes, Normal Mode and Rage Mode.  Yang can switch between them by pressing the D button:  

Normal Mode:
    - Taking damage will increase Yang's Rage bar.

Rage Mode:
    - Taking damage will increase Yang's Rage bar.
    - Rage Mode will last for a duration based off of how much Rage is built up.
    - During this mode damage delt is increased.  
    - However during Rage mode, Yang won't be able to block any kicks. (Read Yang's Wiki)

------

-Special Move-
    "Don't touch the Hair"
    After taking damage from a high attack, press down, down, hold D button to charge rage.

• orsongorringe

#33293318 - 11 months ago

Roman Tourchwick's Special Ability Ideas from RWBY Volume 1, Chapter 1

Special:  Dust Crystal Trickery   
       - Ability Reference: [Blazblue] Rachel Alucard's Tiny Lobelia

Command Input:  236 A/B/C air OK

Roman throws a dust crystals that flies in an arc 
          - The dust crystals bounce off the wall/corner which refreshes the active frames. 
          - This allows the dust crystal to hit twice as a combo extender

Once the dust crystal has landed on the ground it will stay out until they are activated.
          - Only three dust crystals can exist at a time 

- They will disappear and be replaced by order of oldest to newest.
          - Each of the three dust crystals are labeled by different color (A), (B), and (C). 

Follow up to Dust Crystal Trickery

Special: Activate Explosive Dust Trap
        - Ability Reference: [Blazblue] Rachel Alucard's Sword Iris

Command Input: 22 A/B/C air OK

Roman will then shoot at crystal:  (A), (B), or (C) to cause an explosion.
       - Upon activation, the dust crystal (A), (B), or (C) on screen will disappear.

----------------------

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/i...

• Ogiga99

#33293767 - 10 months ago

In reply to WalkingSpirit

Are you just going to naysay everything in this thread? This is specifically for talking about a RWBY fighting game because that is what has been presented as a realistic possibility. Pretty much any genre could have a viable RWBY Game (Dynasty Warriors-style hack and slash, RPG, dating sim etc.) but none of those have the backing the fighting game does.

In particular, you're MMO idea is unrealistic at best. Rooster Teeth is hardly big enough to design such a massive game and supply updates for it, let alone have the server capacity to run such a thing. And that's not even getting into how difficult it would be to make a fully fleshed-out character customizer, especially with the idea of RWBY being that everyone has a unique transformable weapon. For perspective, Grimm Eclipse launched with  just four characters. The biggest reason a fighting game is so viable is because Arc System Works, one of the best in the fighting game industry and the one whose style most fits RWBY, expressed interest in the first place. Imagining anything without the backing of such a company to be on a scale bigger than Grimm Eclipse (which they’re still adding updates to) is wishful thinking.

• orsongorringe

#33293853 - 10 months ago

What animation Style do you think Arc System Works would use?

2D   - Mori Toshimichi's Blazblue Style

or   

2.5D - Daisuke Ishiwatari"s Guilty Gear Style

Mori is the one that said he wanted to do the RWBY Fighting game, but the (RT Animation/RWBY) Style is closer to the Guilty Gear 2.5D style.  

• orsongorringe

#33293861 - 10 months ago

ruby-32.png  weiss-32.png blake-32.png yang-32.png         

jaune-32.png  nora-32.png pyrrha-32.png ren-32.png 

Someone has already made Fan Sprites for 2D Version.
    http://img15.deviantart.net/b6...

• Ogiga99

#33303875 - 10 months ago

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Those sprite look amazing!!! I would love the game to look like that. If I had to guess, I think they'd go with the BlazBlue style. While the Guilty Gear Xrd look fits RWBY better, it would probably be too expensive for the game. The same thing happened with Persona, which went from having 3D models in the RPGs to 2D sprites in Arena.

On a somewhat related note, all of Team RWBY got reference color palettes in BlazBlue: Central Fiction!!!

http://kingofmongrels.tumblr.com/post/151400676317/rwbys-playing-with-the-big-boys-now

• orsongorringe

#33304161 - 10 months ago

In reply to Ogiga9

On a somewhat related note, all of Team RWBY got reference color palettes in BlazBlue: Central Fiction!!!

http://kingofmongrels.tumblr.com/post/151400676317/rwbys-playing-with-the-big-boys-now

Nice.  Hope the is a pyrrha  color palette for Mai Natsume.  

• Ogiga99

#33306322 - 10 months ago

Update from New York Comic Con!

So since this convention wasn't entirely dedicated to Rooster Teeth I was able to find everyone who was there (Gray, Miles, Kerry, Lindsay and Barbara) rather easily and even had a chance to talk with them for a few minutes. During the talk with Gray and Kerry, Gray remembered who I was and gave me a much more detailed update on the situation. Here's what I learned.

1. They think a RWBY fighting game would be awesome and they would love to make it.

2. While they have said hello to Arc System Works like I was told at RTX, they have not yet had any serious talks about making the game.

3. Gray, along with other members of Rooster Teeth, will be visiting Japan soon and might meet with Arc Sysstem Works in person while they are there.

4. Due to how long it would take to do something like this, if the fighting game does happen, it will not be in the immediate future.

So we now know that this is something that really want to make and might seriously discuss soon but we will have to wait a long time if it does happen.

• Toxin45

Toxin45

#33566714 - 4 months ago

I wonder if this is the secret project that Mori could be talking about?

Also the roster could expand each sequel. 

• Axalon1701

Axalon1701 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33632918 - 1 month ago

I say...2 character team fighting game with combo specials or ultimates.

• TeamGRFFC

TeamGRFFC FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33632986 - 1 month ago

So we are told to pay attention to news coming out of EVO this week at RTX. I am excite.. :3

• Ogiga99

#33633116 - 1 month ago

Me too. I was at RTX and was planning to track Gray, Miles or Kerry down again to ask about their meeting with Arc in Japan but once I heard Miles tease an EVO announcement I got all the answers I needed.