Forums > RWBY

Faunus species and inspiration

Posts (58)

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33343415 - 5 months ago

TL;DR: Please share any faunus characters you've created, mentioning their animal trait and what animal said trait belongs to.

The biggest reason I made this thread is that I've seen a lot of people make OCs that go for the all too common feline (or canine) ears (or tails) when deciding for an animal trait in their faunus character. So, I thought, maybe some more unique trait choices could provide inspiration for others struggling to find something less cliché than kawaii neko ears wink Of course, nothing is wrong with those in and of themselves, but they can come across as typical, overused, Mary-Sueish or uninspired - and that while there are so many cool other possibilities! Your imagination is the only limit!

To start it off, I have 5 faunus OCs myself:

-Persimmon Coral has the two long tail feathers that phoenixes are sometimes drawn to have (alternatively, you could just say it's a paradise bird's tail; they have long, single strands as well sometimes)
    -Sky Nimbus has the mandibles (horns/antlers) of a (scarab) beetle
    -Thea Mint has the skin pigmentation of a tiger (so she doesn't have fur, but like how birthmarks are spots with a different color than your skin overall, she has a pigmentation pattern typical to that of tigers (so, stripes) all over her skin)
    -Lily Lavender has the angler (?) of an anglerfish (you know, those deep-sea fishes with a dangly light on their heads)
    -Nova Cassa has the arms (including paws/hands) of a jaguar (just for clarification: while I call them arms when talking about her, they would be called front legs in the actual animal)

PS. Don't be afraid to share your characters even if you did choose cat ears or wolf tails; if executed well, like maybe with an interesting twist or feature, they can still be creative choices!

• YoiteShimizu

YoiteShimizu

#33343440 - 5 months ago

I like the idea of this! Alright, I'll throw one of mine in the mix. Blossom Blackheart has the ears of a bat, allowing her to use echolocation when her vision becomes impaired

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33343443 - 5 months ago

In reply to YoiteShimizu I love that name! It sounds so elegant. One question: does she also have human ears, effectively giving her 2 sets to make 4 ears in total (like Blake)? Or are the bat ears a replacement for normal ones?

• YoiteShimizu

YoiteShimizu

#33343449 - 5 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Thanks! I actually considered giving her two sets of ears like Blake, but she'd probably get some form of sensory overload every time she fired her gun, which is a sonic sniper rifle xP So she just has the one set of ears

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33343457 - 5 months ago

(Makes more sense to me than what is the case for Blake tbh)

• YoiteShimizu

YoiteShimizu

#33343498 - 5 months ago

Haha, true enough x3 I also have another one named Colby Akeldama, who has the teeth of a wolf. He's an antagonist, and a bit unhinged, so he's always giving enemies sinister big toothed grins. 

Then I have the Silverman twins, Rory and Dorian, who both have the horns of an antelope.

Lucius Cromwell has the ears of a brown bear. 

Ignacia Chevalier has the legs of a fox, which include digitigrade legs and paws instead of feet.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33343707 - 5 months ago

Lucius Cromwell with his teddy ears sounds like he would be a sweet guy.

• YoiteShimizu

YoiteShimizu

#33343898 - 5 months ago

He is actually, haha. He's kinda like a gentle giant x3

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33344044 - 5 months ago

Do you have any pictures of him yet? Or of any of your characters for that matter? I'd like to see them!

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33344236 - 5 months ago

In reply to WalkingSpirit Well yeah, but faunus in the world of RWBY only have one animal trait each, so it wouldn't happen anyway. Also, I guess they did make a joke out of Blake having 2 sets of ears in RWBY chibi.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33344280 - 5 months ago

Yeah, that one.

• YoiteShimizu

YoiteShimizu

#33344316 - 5 months ago

I don't, sadly. I'm neither an artist, nor do I have the money to commission someone :P Both his bio and Blossoms are in this journal entry, as well as the rest of their team if you want to check them out. I have descriptions of them both, but I couldn't quite figure out a good outfit for Blossom. Also those were some of the first bios I wrote, so they aren't as well put together or thought out as later ones.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33344345 - 5 months ago

I'll be sure to check them out! Meanwhile, you can find pictures of 2 of the 3 teams I've made (which includes the first 4 of the 5 faunus from my initial post) here in this gallery!

• YoiteShimizu

YoiteShimizu

#33344372 - 5 months ago

They look awesome :D I love their designs~

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33344451 - 5 months ago

In reply to YoiteShimizu Thank you very much! I'm working on team number 3 but I only have sketches so far. The team captain doesn't even have a last name yet! But when she does and I've made a full-effort drawing, I'll post that team (which includes my 5th faunus) as well. I also love your team! The character's aren't flat like a lot of (especially beginner) OCs, which tend to fall back on 'edgy', 'cute', 'dead parents' or any combination of those. Any of those aspects COULD work, but it needs to have a purpose and influence the character's traits in some way. I think you did that really well! Great job!

• YoiteShimizu

YoiteShimizu

#33344464 - 5 months ago

Very nice! Can't wait to see how they turn out. And thank you! It was my first time writing RWBY OC's, but I'm not a stranger when it comes to writing characters, so I'm glad to hear that you like them. I'm working on my 4th team, despite not having finished the bio's for half of my 3rd team, haha. 

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33344811 - 5 months ago

In reply to YoiteShimizu Dude same! I have one more team of students to go, but also the team of teachers! There is an odd situation with the 'school' the 4 student teams go to. I won't say too much of it yet, but all the teachers are a team themselves. Hell, I'm further along in designing them than I am the 4th team of students  joy

• DarkTempler7

DarkTempler7 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33345354 - 5 months ago

Some really cool ones. The only Faunus on my OC team is named Apricot. She has the eyes of a snake. Mostly because it's a reference to Quetzalcoatl, but also because I though it'd look cool.

• YoiteShimizu

YoiteShimizu

#33345510 - 5 months ago

Haha, I can't wait to here more about it~ What happens with me is, I'll have a good idea for a character, and I'll begin to write a bio, then that idea leads to other ideas and I end up making more characters which creates a tragic cycle of never getting anything done, haha. I haven't really even made any teachers yet, just veteran huntsmen and antagonists.

Oh, and here's another 2 character's I forgot to mention:

Aster Marleigh is a rabbit faunus, sorta like Velvet but her ears droop more. I don't think I mentioned that in her bio though, so I'll have to go back and edit that.

And then there's Gwendolyn Nerezza who's a jellyfish faunus. From first glance you wouldn't be able to tell that she's a faunus, but that's because the smaller stinging tentacles are laced through her hair, and the larger ones just look like ribbons.

In reply to DarkTempler7

Very nice! I dig the Mayan influence~

In reply to sonofcinder

Hey man, fancy seeing you here! Sorry I haven't been posting much on the G.O.L.D thread, I've been super busy lately so I haven't been able to give an in depth analysis, but I have still been reading! 

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33345582 - 5 months ago

In reply to sonofcinder Honestly I can't get over his name. Daniel Samuels. It flows so nicely! Where can I find this G.O.L.D. volume you're talking about? Is it on your profile?

In reply to DarkTempler7 Sounds really interesting! Are the other members of her team references to similar beasts? 

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33345584 - 5 months ago

In reply to YoiteShimizu The jellyfish is so cool. I've always liked how they look!

• DarkTempler7

DarkTempler7 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33345719 - 5 months ago

Each member of the team she's on are references to a god or goddess that represents either war, wisdom, or both. I'm not sure if that answers your question.

In reply to YoiteShimizu

It's actually Aztec. Also I like the jellyfish one. Sounds like it'd be a cool design.

• YoiteShimizu

YoiteShimizu

#33345788 - 5 months ago

Yeah, jellyfish are awesome, haha. They're pretty much just floating nervous systems. Oh, and sonofcinder's G.O.L.D. volume 1 is right here.

In reply to DarkTempler7

Yeah, I noticed the mistake the second that I clicked post, haha. I decided not to edit it because I was tired and just wanted to sleep x3 

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33345804 - 5 months ago

In reply to DarkTempler7 Please tell me more about that team!

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33345805 - 5 months ago

In reply to YoiteShimizu Thanks! I'll check it out.