Forums > RWBY

What are your top 5 songs from the soundtrack of RWBY

Posts (16)

• Jbird115

Jbird115

#33344760 - 1 year ago

What are your top 5 favorite songs from the soundtrack of RWBY ( volumes 1-3 )

• erepin

erepin

#33345394 - 1 year ago

I like RWBY, but I like the soundtracks even more. Ever since I laid hands on them, they've been on almost continuous loop in my car.

My top 5 fav songs (in order, sort of):

1. Red Like Roses Part II. I always buzz when I hear that intro.

2. WIngs. It's a long time since a song made me cry, but this did it. Casey Lee Williams' haunting vocals, the beautiful piano work, the lyrics... excuse me, I have to go find some tissues.

3. Caffeine. This didn't grab me initially, but the more I listened to it the more I rated this ultra-fast-paced song.

4. I May Fall. This song is more about the lyrics, for me. They epitomise and foreshadow the growing darkness of the series.

5. I Burn. Love the intro, love the guitar solo. And this song IS Yang - so tough and in-your-face confident.

Honourable mentions:

This Will Be The Day. Red Like Roses (Red Trailer). From Shadows. Time To Say Goodbye. Cold.

• PhantomAC

PhantomAC FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Not Otaku, Just Nerd

#33345485 - 1 year ago

Hands down: "When it Falls" is #u@%!n@ number one for me! Bar none!

Second in rotation is: "Divide" ,... *talk about some pumped darkness!!!*

Third, but no less, is: "Red like Roses - Part II". POW!

Fourth is the absolute polished: "Time to Say Goodbye". lines crossed baby,.. lines crossed.

And ABSOLUTELY in this musical harem of mine is: "Mirror Mirror". 'Nuff said.

Too bad we couldn't include,.. oh, I don't know,.. like EVERY #U@%!N@ TRACK THE WILLIAMS FAMILY HAS RECORDED FOR RWBY.

But I digress...

(In the dark listening to ALL of it!)

• PhantomAC

PhantomAC FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Not Otaku, Just Nerd

#33345487 - 1 year ago

Cawmmon,.. try to tell me  that "Caffeine" and "Die" don't deserve a spot...?

Or "I'm the One" for that matter!!!

• PhantomAC

#33345489 - 1 year ago

In reply to erepin

I like RWBY, but I like the soundtracks even more. Ever since I laid hands on them, they've been on almost continuous loop in my car.

2. WIngs. It's a long time since a song made me cry, but this did it. Casey Lee Williams' haunting vocals, the beautiful piano work, the lyrics... excuse me, I have to go find some tissues.

3. Caffeine. This didn't grab me initially, but the more I listened to it the more I rated this ultra-fast-paced song.

4. I May Fall. This song is more about the lyrics, for me. They epitomise and foreshadow the growing darkness of the series.

5. I Burn. Love the intro, love the guitar solo. And this song IS Yang - so tough and in-your-face confident.

Honourable mentions:

This Will Be The Day. Red Like Roses (Red Trailer). From Shadows. Time To Say Goodbye. Cold.

Yes!

Just,.. fucking,.. YES!

• PhantomAC

#33345497 - 1 year ago

I'm not sorry to go on and on like this so I wanna nerd-out here.

In reply to erepin

YUP!

YUP!

YUP!

Fight songs KILL in this animation!

Isn't it "When It Falls"? If we're thinking of the same track then ABSOLUTELY!!!! If not,.. then please direct me to this title. I NEED TO HEAR IT!!!!

YUP!

Honourable mentions:

This Will Be The Day. YUP!

Red Like Roses (Red Trailer). YUP!

From Shadows. YUP!

Time To Say Goodbye. YUP!

Cold. YUP!

• erepin

erepin

#33345502 - 1 year ago

When It Falls is the main theme for Volume 3. If I Fall is one of the songs from Volume 1, between I Burn and Red Like Roses Part II on my version. When It Falls is, perhaps, musically better than If I Fall, but the lyrics of the latter *so* epitomise RWBY that I had to include it. It's like RWBY condensed into a single song - it's about facing overwhelming odds and, somehow, finding your fighting spirit.

• PhantomAC

#33345503 - 1 year ago

In reply to erepin

Hunting,.. (which Track, Which disc?)

((when I put them on PC, they delivered no titles))

NEVERMIND,.. Disc 1 - Track 8

and again,.. YUP!

"there's a moment in life when we change and ... ... no one else can" (have I been hearing that right?)

YUP!

• MisCon

MisCon

#33348017 - 1 year ago

Don't know them all enough, but "I Burn" is my fave, and right after is Flynt Coal's jazz rendition of it! After that probably "Red Like Roses"(both), and I love the positive energy of "Time to say Goodbye", though it doesn't fit the lyrics..

Not really into the dark depressing stuff, but Red Like Roses is an exception, probably because the sadness came from what seems to be a sacrificial act of love, and not just the misery of someone brooding in the dark, but rather, seeking for light.

I grow tired of songs where the message is "My life is sh*t", but respect sad or painful songs where there is good reason, like loss, a tragic mistake, or a desperate plea to find the light and recover from sadness, rather than wallow in it... So yeah, I don't care for Blake... Sorry..  blake

• blitzychan

blitzychan

#33514071 - 1 year ago

What I love about the RWBY soundtracks is the diversity of the songs on it.  You have your fight songs (Caffeine, Die), your hopeful songs (I May Fall, Gold), and your sadder songs (Cold, Red Like Roses II).

It's so difficult to pick my five favorite songs, let alone list them in the order of my favorite to least favorite, so I'm just gonna pick five of my favorites and explain why I love them.

When It Falls When you listen to this song and think about volume 3, you can't help but realize just how perfectly this song embodies the volume.  This song is all about how not everything ends in a happy ever after, and let's be honest, Pyrrha's death just slammed this home to us.  My favorite verses of the song: "This is not a tragedy / it's not an accident / You placed your faith and fools / And now you'll smother in lament / They play the part of allies / Claiming peace their only goal / But once the fight for power starts / They'll eat each other whole" I love the pace of the song, its dark message, but most of all, I love how it fits the entire atmosphere of volume 3.  Despite the hunters and huntresses' best efforts, they failed to protect Beacon and Salem and her group won.

Divide At first I loved this song for its upbeat sound and fast paced lyrics.  But as I listened to the lyrics and actually understood their meaning, it only made me love this song all the more.  I cannot pick a favorite part of this song because I love it in its entirety, but I love the message of the song.  It, to me, is directed directly at Ozpin, telling him to defy her and try to defeat her, and she will destroy everything he sends.  Anyone remember when Qrow told RNJR about Salem?  He told them that she operates behind others, so when its time to blame someone, the blame falls on each other.  Hope will be smothered / They'll turn on each other.  To me, this song isn't just Salem's song, this song is Salem.

Sacrifice This song, I cannot pick out its meaning.  I mean at first I thought it was Cinder's song, but now, well, do we really know enough about Cinder to say whether this is her song or not?  I recently came across a fan theory that this song was actually Raven's song, and this song is about her finding Summer dead and her subsequent distrust in Ozpin.  There are two verses in this song that I absolutely adore: "You can try but I'm free / And you won't conquer me" and "What if all the plans you made / Were not worth the price they paid / Even with the lives you stole / Still no closer to your goal"  I cannot say what exactly makes this one of my favorite songs, only that for some strange reason, it is.

Red Like Roses I love both versions of Red Like Roses.  The first, though short, is so melancholic and it is a good introduction to the series.  The first Red Like Roses introduces us to an aspect of the four main characters' personas: Ruby with her mother's death, Weiss and her standoffish behavior and her royal background, Blake's (to me) beast is referencing her faunus status, and her background with the White Fang and leaving them, though they are still haunting her; Yang and her fiery personality, she burns gold.

Whenever I listen to Red Like Roses II I always end up in tears.  There is no need to explain the meaning of this song to me, because I'm sure we all know what it's about.  I love the idea of Summer telling Ruby her regrets because there's so little we know about the character.  Plus the fact that the two singers are mother and daughter, it makes this song all the more meaningful.  My favorite verses are: "All the times I swore that it would be okay / Now I'm nothing but a liar and you're thrown into the fray / This bedtime story ends with misery ever after / The pages are torn and there's no final chapter" and "It doesn't matter how / The petals scatter now / Every nightmare just discloses / It's your blood that's red like roses / And no matter what I do / Nothever ever takes the place of you"  This song has so much meaning to it, and I love how a lot of the lyrics either refer to fairy tales, or to colors, both of which are big themes in RWBY.

I May Fall I'll be honest, I originally thought this song was on the volume 3 soundtrack, not the first one because of its inclusion during Velvet's attack on the Paladin and the reveal of her weapon and semblance.  First off, I want to say that I love how this song is inspired by Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.  Its message is amazing, and to me, it embodies what the headmasters want to teach their students (or at least, what Ozpin wants them to learn): Courage and friendship are probably the best tools in which to face adversity.  My favorite part of this song is both when the narrators lose their hope and want to give in, and suddenly they're ready to fight again.  One day I will die, but I won't let that day be today.

It was so difficult to narrow this down, so I'm afraid I'll also have to give two honorable mentions: to Gold and All Our Days.  I love the positive meaning behind both of these songs.  Gold is about Yang trying to comfort her sister after Summer's death, and it shows the love she has for her.  I love how this song incorporates motifs from both sisters: "I will light up the night with the love in my heart / I will burn like the sun / I will keep you safe and warm" and "Like the smell of a rose on a summer's day".

All Our Days is another favorite because of its message.  I love how this song was written by Jeff Williams to show how much he loved Casey Lee, and how proud of her he was.  When I hear this song, in relation to RWBY, I think it's Taiyang's song, and how proud he is of both Yang and Ruby.  My favorite part in this song is: "And though I miss the little girl / You've made me awful proud / Funny hour our lives change / Cause you're my hero now"

And just because I am obsessed with the two songs (though they're gonna be on v4), I love Let's Just Live and Bad Luck Charm.  Like literally, words cannot express how much I love Bad Luck Charm.

• erepin

erepin

#33710048 - 3 months ago

Did a 'Top 20' playlist on YouTube

• PhantomAC

#33710205 - 3 months ago

In reply to erepin I checked it out,.. and saying I liked the line up is like saying Aech loves video games. (loved it all,.. no matter the order.)

Cheers!

• notvai4

notvai4

#33710237 - 3 months ago

Yeah, let's bump a year-old thread, lol.

Let's see here, top 5 is hard. There's a lot of RWBY songs I really like. I won't put them in a particular order.

I Burn - This song is great, both the full and trailer versions. The trailer version I mention for the inclusion of bits of the rest of Team RWBY's original songs, which I think is a nice nod to Yang's caring for all of her teammates. That they're all more upbeat versions is nice too. The actual body of "I Burn" really stands out because of the obvious comparison to the downer feel of those other songs: "I miss my mom." → "I'm all alone." → "I have to fight racism." → "I AM THE BEST AND I WILL KICK YOUR ASS!!!" This is great not just because it's funny, but because it really shows how Yang has to be the strongest, not just for herself, but for everyone else. The music itself is great too.

Armed and Ready - Another Yang song, which is no surprise since she's easily my favorite character of the show.  yang In contrast to to "I Burn", Armed and Ready is all about her. That's not to say it's selfish, but it's absolutely what she needed at the time. Of the four main characters, the fall of Beacon had the biggest impact on Yang. She went from being the strongest among them to being the one unable to bring herself to do anything at all. This song is all about coming back from that, getting over her failures, and not letting herself go back, being stronger than ever. Again, the music is also fun to listen to.

I May Fall - This song isn't quite as exhilarating as I prefer, but it kinda gets to me. I'm a huge, huge, huge, huge, HUGE sucker for heroic sacrifice moments in stories, and while that's not quite where this was used in the show, the song itself makes me think of one. In particular, the line "There's a moment that changes a life when, we do something that no one else can" hits me hard and gives me the picture of somebody making a final charge for the good of everyone. Maybe that's just me, but it gets me super emotional and makes this song amazing for me.

Red like Roses - Both parts of this are great, though I definitely lean more to part 2. Part 1 is nice, particularly the entire part after the lyrics. Part 2 though, everything just kicks into overdrive. The music is great, the lyrics are great. I really wish Ruby herself had a bit more of this song in herself. It's quite the contrast with her character that this song has her sound somewhat resentful towards her mother, and the situation surrounding the fight with Salem and Grimm, where in the show she seems more than happy to be a hero slaying monsters. Maybe we'll get something of that eventually.

Like Morning Follows Night - This song just has so many aspects to it. It's Blake's feelings of having to deal with her life just being one disaster after another, how she hates herself for her part in those, and how she can't bear to keep hurting people.  It's Sun's message to Blake that she can't just shut herself off, that she can't protect people by not being there, and that no matter what she isn't going to face her problems alone. It's Sun's letting Blake know how he feels, that he wants to always be the one at her side, and that he won't stop trying to make her happy. And of course there's a big hint that Sun has his own past issues that drive how he acts. This honestly is the only "shipping" song that gets me kinda invested in how the pairing goes, and I don't even particularly care about these characters! And as always, the music itself is great to hear.

Honorable Mentions:

R.W.B.Y vs F.N.K.I. - While not quite a song, it's still great. If there's one thing I want out of the future, it's to see FNKI come back just for the chance to get an actual song(s) like this.

I'm the One, Caffeine - Together because both songs fit the same place, just being awesome, high-octane fun.

From Shadows - I'm extremely numb to racism being used in entertainment, but the music is pretty great.

• CaTaylor90

CaTaylor90

#33711142 - 3 months ago

1. Red like Roses pt.II

2. This will be the day

3. Caffeine

4. Die

5. Time to say goodbye

Those are the songs I have on my Ipod, and the kind that comes to head from time to time. Rooster Teeth sure knows how to make some good songs for RWBY. And RvB has its fair share of epic songs too sung by Jeff and Cassie Williams.

• rclarkson87

rclarkson87 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33712570 - 3 months ago

1.  Red like roses (Red trailer)

2.  I burn (unedited version)

3.  This will be the day

4.  I may fall

5.  Red like roses part II.

In that order. 

• dkindy

dkindy

#33714795 - 2 months ago

1. Everything - as in every song is brilliant. If everyone was into phenomenal medleys and bebeautiful  songs the RWBY soundtracks would be the best albums ever. I want to see the Freelancer Orchestra get a big break (like BIG everlasting break).