Forums > RWBY

Complaints on RWBY you don't get/agree with?

Posts (37)

• kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19

#33369055 - 2 years ago

RWBY has gotten some complaints some valid or some subjective but are there some you don't get or at least don't fully agree on? Just figured it'd be an interesting thread to discuss about.

• Aleksandr926

Aleksandr926

#33376396 - 2 years ago

Most complaints are totally legitimate: bad writing, way too many inconsistencies, some technical missteps here and there...

What I really don't get are those people who say they don't want the characters to be depressed, that the pace of Volume 4 is too slow, that they want to get quickly to the point where team RWBY reunite and start kicking ass with a smile on the lips.

OK, some episodes don't feel really cohesive, we are following too many plotlines at the same times and sometimes the transition between two different locations isn't very smooth, but this season is taking place after some major dramatic events: the deaths of Pyrrha and Penny, the fall of Beacon, if else, there's not nearly enough depression and despair in the air. They even gave us a several months time-skip, so that we couldn't witness the saddest moments in the show!

I guess it's hard to see your favourite character suffers, but that's what makes a fictional person tridimensional, there cannot be only happy times and funny antics. Seeing how he/she struggles with hardships can be a good thing, if done well, and can improve your attachment to him/her.

I don't even mind episode without a single fight scene, if they have brilliant dialogues and well-constructed characters and situations.

"RWBY" became famous for its action sequences and light mood, but this is the turning point, our chance to see if it can be something better and greater.

• kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19

#33376657 - 2 years ago

I guess for me it would be the complaint about Ruby's too underdeveloped to the point of feeling like she's not the star of her own show which I don't think it's on THAT level especially since lately with what she's going through lately. I mean it's still focused on her a lot of times and we're just getting to see more sides of her.

• Aleksandr926

Aleksandr926

#33376932 - 2 years ago

If we consider all Volumes (from 1 to half 4) Ruby clearly isn't underdeveloped. What bothers me is that, after the first episode of Volume 1, where she showed a pretty good established personality, she actually became flatter.

Hear me out. In the first season and in some instances throughout the second she was:

- brave: she went after some criminals even though she's just a kid and had no means to know if they had a powerful fighter among them. She could have died, but she remained true to her idea of heroism and selflessness.

- a bit socially awkward: Ruby is generally very friendly, but in E2 we could see her saying how she preferred weapons to people. She felt out of place and scared, far from home and her friends at Signal. She was so shy that Yang tried to make her abandon her comfort zone by leaving her totally alone. Then she met Weiss and Blake and we clearly witnessed how difficult it was to her to interact with them in the first place.

- anxious and selfconcious: she didn't want to be considered special, even if she was admitted at Beacon two years early. Weiss's comments about her "sneaking into the academy" really weighted on her, and the same went for her questioning her leadership. Ruby could be really insecure at first, to the point of doubting her own value.

- childish: leaving cookies and weapons fangirlism aside, she liked to showoff: she displayed her bigass scythe in front of Jaune and she wanted to show Weiss how cool she was in combat. Also, she didn't pay attention in class...

- rash: almost the same as brave, she always ran towards the danger, risking her life against the Deathstalker and disturbing Weiss's fight against the Beowulfs.

- brilliant: even though the writers are still trying to convince us that Jaune is the strategist of the show, it's obvious that Ruby is the real tactician: in a matter of seconds and in the middle of the fight, she could come up with convoluted ideas to take down bigger and stronger enemies. She deserves more credit.

- prone to learning new lessons: she was constantly improving herself after being taught life-lessons. The Ruby who told Jaune about his duties as a leader is so different from the Ruby who asked Ozpin if she was a worthy leader that it's hard to consider them the same person.

But then, since Volume 2 and Volume 3, she became the generic naive, good-hearted protagonist: she lives in a world full of happiness and delight, she acted friendly towards any living being she encountered, she felt a little stupid, at least to me... Hell, even her voice acting changed: in Volume 1, sometimes it could get deeper and more serious, while in the next seasons she was almost squeeing all the time, especially in Volume 3. Now, she also cried for the death of Penny and Pyrrha, but that's a natural reaction and has nothing to do with being developed or not. In Volume 4 we got a glimpse of a darker and more grim personality, but she had so little screentime that is hard to judge. I hope she grew up in these 8 months time-skip.

• kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19

#33377215 - 2 years ago

In reply to Aleksandr926

I always saw it that at that time around season 2 and 3 she thought that she had things under control and that she felt more confident about her skills that is until the V3 finale just pretty much showed her the hard that even with her skills she can't save everyone and that the world isn't always going to be supportive to people like her. If anything it was a wake up call for her and so far in V4 we're getting to have a better idea of how she's coping with what's happened so I'm going to reserve how they go about her development in V4 before making judgement.

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33377239 - 2 years ago

The complaint I see the most and makes no sense is the Hate on Jaune arc.

People act like Monty himself didnt say JNPR are actually main characters they are just A-Team 2.

Its really obvious Jaune is an important character. He has so much attention given to him even though the run times are so limited that its clear they have big plans for him and need him to develop a LOT for whatever it is. 

People treat him like crap and act like he is a self insert for Miles when Monty is the one who designed him and laid out his character and its not even true since Jaune is very clearly flawed and SI like what people are claiming are always perfect version of themselves.

I have even see people claim Jaune is a fusion of Miles and Frat Boys and I am like have you seen a frat boy? That is so clearly not true its not even funny.

Dont get me wrong some stuff could have been written better but like 90% of what I see aimed at Jaune isnt even stuff he has done. For example one person said he forced Pyrrha to join his team. I am like what? She pinned him to a tree with her spear yes she saved his life but she didnt know that as she didnt find out until later Jaune has no aura and no training for all she knew he was doing his landing strategy by pinwheeling through the air because of weapon or Semblance. Pyrrha CHOSE to be on Jaune's team.

I REALLY dont get or understand most of the Jaune hate. Its way overblown for the flaws and issues he does have which the series has been fixing as part of its story so those arent even real flaws but rather planned one he is meant to have.

• Aleksandr926

Aleksandr926

#33377301 - 2 years ago

In reply to revanninja

Its way overblown for the flaws and issues he does have which the series has been fixing as part of its story so those arent even real flaws but rather planned one he is meant to have.

Well, if the writers set up his flaws it doesn't mean that they aren't real flaws. Creating a character that has good and bad features is a sign of good writing. It's not like Jaune is a real person who can act the way he wants, he needs to follow what the writers planned for him. If these flaws come from OOC moments or from a schizofrenic characterization, that's another matter. A good character is one that thinks and acts in a way so natural that you believe he/she is alive, always true to his ideals and personality.

Now, I'm one of those people who don't like Jaune, like, at all. I don't accuse him of being a self insert for Miles and I have no idea what the people who said he forced Pyrrha to be in his team are talking about, but I have a common dislike for his archetype: the average action/school harem protagonist with no apparent good qualities but with a great potential. I've seen this kind of character so many times in anime and now I'm allergic to it.

You're right, JNPR is more of a second A-team than a B-team, but the show is still called "RWBY" and his first arc came before we got one for Yang and Blake. And he also got a second one in Volume 2. These were two moments who lasted more than one episode while we got only two meaningful short dialogues to learn something about Yang's motivations and story.

Also, if his entire team is so important, why Ren and Nora in Volume 4 are still flatter than Cardin? Why didn't they get more screentime? From what I could see, the show should be called "Ruby and Jaune", because they clearly embodied two different kinds of protagonist.

Another thing I don't like about him is that, despite his flaws and the bad situations he put himself in, he always ended up on top, with little to no consequences: fake transcripts? Never brought up again, Pyrrha saved his ass and he got to be cool and threaten Cardin like the badass he isn't. Did he learn his lessons from harassing Weiss? No, he got those nice dance moves and that's it. In Volume 3 he was mostly nice, but that's because the focus was on Pyrrha.

OK, most of these problem are tightly tied to the bad writing "RWBY" suffers from: many conflicts never got a proper resolution and were skipped over like nothing ever happened. Worst case, they were retconned.

My last complaint isn't related to Jaune but to the contradiction in "RWBY" itself: this is supposed to be an adventure story where the simple soul prevails over great evil powers, but, in the end, it's another story about unearned secret powers. Ruby has his silver eyes and Jaune has a mysterious locked Semblance that has been hidden for so long that I'm sure it will be some amazing OP force of destruction.

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33377333 - 2 years ago

In reply to Aleksandr926

The issue is most of your stuff is actually off.

First Cardin he stepped up and saved Cardin he could have run but he didnt and all Pyrrha did was move his shield the rest? ALL Jaune which people dont seem to get. Jaune is actually a good fighter he takes on the Death Stalker with no training is able to hold his own against it and block its blows. Yes he isnt on the same level as the others but he is actually a BA just not one on the same level as RWBY is all. Different setting or just different people we wouldnt question that.

Second he didnt Harass Weiss. He didnt get the hint yes but part of that is because Jaune is actually someone with no dating experience. Weiss is actually a FLAT out *Itch to him and he thought she was interested in him but playing hard to get. This goes to the scene before the forest when she mocks him and clearly jaune misunderstood it or misheard it. He also asks Weiss out like 3 times and one of those times isnt him actually asking her out but to join his team. 

Weiss doesnt act like he is harassing her and honestly treats him like a big joke.

Yes Jaune should have taken the hint but this goes back to no experience issue he didnt know better and was working on only what his dad told him which is less then helpful.

So no Jaune wasnt Harassing Weiss.

The Fake transcripts? Ozpin knew. Its pretty much an open secret he knew based on how he dismisses Glynda. And we all know Ozpin has plans. So just because the Fake Transcripts havent come up doesnt mean they wont.

Also Cardin which Jaune showed his real metal by saving him and did actually show he deserved his place.

Actually his semblance has already been shown. The writers have already said as much. Most of us think its when Cardin went to punch Jaune and a flashlight happened ending with Cardin seeming to hurt his hand. Most speculate its reflection turning a foe's energy back onto themselves. Which if true makes him powerful but only if its used right.

As for Ren and Nora its really clear they are going to get screentime this volume with the whole bandits.

And that is something a lot of people arent seeming to get RWBY is a LONG Plan show. Meaning they arent thinking in episodes but in Volumes. So their planning and presentation is following that guide. Its more like a book series then a single book where they know they have room to develop characters LATER. 

• Aleksandr926

Aleksandr926

#33377379 - 2 years ago

1) Team CRDL running away like idiots from the Ursa was an example of bad writing. They are actually a pretty good team: the forest where the initiation took place (the one with the landing strategy) was filled to the brim with Grimm (Beowolves, Ursai and who knows what else) and I'm supposed to believe they met none? They even got the relics faster than RWBY and JNPR. Why did they run away from a single Grimm? They were four (five, counting Jaune) against an Ursa. The writers simply needed a setting to redeem Jaune and they thought it was OK to give several flaws to CRDL, even if they didn't make any sense.

You're right: Jaune saved Cardin even if he had no reason to. Hell, he would have been a good thing if he actually got killed by a Grimm. But I never said Jaune has no good points, I only listed those things that make me dislike him. I really recognize his courage. In his rant, he said he was tired of cowering in a corner while his friends fight for their lives, but... We never saw Jaune being a wimp: instead, we got someone who always rushes into the battle and is prone to self-sacrifice. In his case, being bullied had nothing to do with cowardice, he just wanted to solve everything by himself. It was stupid, but understandable.

You know, sometimes I detest traits that other people find appealing: for example, I can't stand Qrow, because he appeared in Volume 3 to look cool and that was all, while most people fell in love with his obnoxious rebel attitude and his rudeness. 

Ok, back to the answers to your points...

In volume 1, Jaune was much weaker than his first-year classmates: he deflected one hit from a Deathstalker, but he still lost badly against Cardin and, if it wasn't for Pyrrha intervention, he would have probably be severely injured. His Aura was almost depleted and that strike from the Ursa could have beheaded him. After all, the other students came from combat schools and passed many tests before being accepted into Beacon, while he did nothing like that. If you say he's a good fighter compared to the civilians, that's not saying much. He got better, thanks to Pyrrha's training, and now can kill single Grimm in a fight, but I still need to see him holding his ground against a serious opponent.

Ozpin obviously knew about the fake transcripts, but I think it would have been nice a scene if Jaune decided to confess everything to the headmaster and he let him stay because he proved himself worthy of being called a huntsman in training.

2) After being mildly rejected by Weiss in the changing room before the initiation (seriously, she was really kind and understanding, compared to what she said to Ruby a few episodes later), Jaune, six months later, kept trying to go out with Weiss: he disturbed her during class to ask her for a date and he made that serenade to ask her to go with him to the dance. Since I doubt he sat silently for a semester, I can only imagine he tried to go out with her many times. I think it's understandable if she was annoyed. About the scene in the changing room, Weiss was a horrible person mostly to Pyrrha, since she tried to be on the same team only because of her fame.

3) Yeah, Jaune's Semblance is probably some uber-shield who can send the hit back to the attacker or something. We saw a glimpse of it when Cardin punched him. Ehi, wait a moment! How did jaune get that bruise if he still had his Aura? Ok, don't mind me, I like nitpicking. So, this Semblance is kind of normal, not very creative or anything, it just scares me that they haven't revealed it yet. I hope they don't plan to change it into some OP stuff.

4) I hear all the time about "RWBY" being a looooong short (20 or more Volumes), but we're several hours into the story and two of the main characters didn't get any character development. They have one or two basic traits and that's it. Instead, they kept on introducing new characters who got much more screentime than them, like Penny and Sun. The Raven's tribe stuff can't be their establishing moment. We got the death of Pyrrha, the fall of Beacon, the episode of the breach, some school life... All these occasions were completely wasted. The bandit's tribe should have been the chance to deepen our knowledge of their personalities, not the one who starts it.

• revanninja

#33377401 - 2 years ago

In reply to Aleksandr926

While I do admit them running away was an issue that actually seemed to be an alpha Ursa which is actually more powerful and we have been told this. Its also entirely possible they had a MUCH easier time then both RWBY and JNPR.

Yes in vol 1 Jaune was a mess but that was actually the point. In vol 1 he could barely handle himself. Vol 2 he could handle grimm rather easy that gave him trouble he took that Ursa which are powerful Grimm VERY easy. Vol 3 he is able to fight toe to toe with other experienced hunters and not get steam rolled.

His story is the fact Jaune is getting better and FAST. Yes he is getting one on one with Pyrrha but he is making up for the lack of 4 years of experience and training it doesnt equal out yet he is catching up.

Weiss was a horrible person to Jaune as well.She mocked him without knowing him, which is why he thought she was interested in he misheard her, and she treated him like he didnt even have the right to ask Pyrrha and her to join his team. Also when he catches her when she falls from the nevermore she sarcastically says my hero. She continues to treat him like dirt afterwards.

And actually since they dont say he kept on asking her for Dates YES you should take it that he didnt keep asking her for dates. There is a difference in the implied and the head canon. Him asking her for 6 months on dates is head canon since its not implied he did it. And I have seen guys get rejected then months later try again with no attempts between because they think something has changed either in them her or the situation. And sometimes it works. 

So since they dont talk about it and Weiss doesnt act like he asks her on dates everyday we shouldnt assume he did especially because since Jaune is playing catch up and training with Pyrrha he may not have time or the ability.

So no we have to go with ONLY the ones we are shown otherwise we can seriously start making things up.

To give you an example We know Pyrrha is training Jaune but we really dont get much focus on it later. The implied is Jaune is getting better since he is receiving training and we dont get a scene where he is still flunking class. So the implied there is that Jaune is getting better on all his subjects he may not be top of his class but not bottom rung any more.

While with Weiss we know he still crushes on her later but we arent shown scenes of him hitting on her all the time nor does she act like he does. She is annoyed yes but not in the same way a constant everyday thing is. 

In fact looking at the Jaune history on wiki I can only find 2 examples of him asking Weiss. The first one when he tries to get her on his team and the second one when he sings. He does try to talk to her and help her play the card game but he isnt asking her out. Now I am doing a quick search so i might be missing something but yeah jaune only Asks Weiss out twice and one of those was for the Dance and months later from their intial meeting.

Keep in mind Jaune is still new to aura. He most likely has issues  protecting himself or since we dont know recharge rates for Aura. Cardin beat him to break but enough time had passed Jaune was able to recharge for lack of a better term.

As for the semblance Jaune really hasnt been in a place where they can show it off really.

Agreed some of the writing choices have been bad. But they clearly have a plan and are looking at this on the long view. And not all characters are deep from their background but become deep from the story we are told. 

Take Deku from My Hero academia he is a normal boy with no super power in a world where that is the norm and his dream is to be a super hero like the top hero All Might. His character isnt from his past but rather his story as he becomes the greatest Hero ever. 

Ren and Nora could be the same way they arent deep characters from their past but do become them from their future.

Its a different story telling to be sure and one not everyone likes. Deku for example is the MC while Ren and Nora are MC's-B but this could be what really makes them MCs in their own right.

• Aleksandr926

Aleksandr926

#33377504 - 2 years ago

Yes, Jaune hitting on Weiss for a whole semester is an assumption I made, but the problem is that this show is entirely based on assumptions, since most of the most important things happened off-screen.

- Are Ren and Nora really friends with Jaune and Pyrrha? In three volumes they barely had any interaction non-combat related.

- Is Roman a good thief? When we saw him in action, he always lost against team RWBY, so I can only imagine that those containers of dust teleported into his warehouse magically, for he's totally incompetent.

-  Were Jaune, Nora, Ren and the other characters sad after hearing about Pyrrha's death? Maybe they laughed and, since we got an awful time-skip, we'll never know their true reactions. 

- Did JNPR really tried those team attacks in training? Since everyone except Jaune cannot remember what each name means, maybe he only dreamed about those combos.

- Are Faunus really discriminated throughout Remnant? We saw Velvet bullied by Cardin, but nothing else.

- Was Qrow really on a supersecret superdangerous mission on Ozpin's account? Or was he hiding in a tavern drinking like crazy? Afterall, he didn't tell anything useful to the Ozluminati.

And the list goes on. Maybe that's the reason "RWBY" is so popular, it's so vague that everyone one can mold it into his/her own personal universe.

• revanninja

#33377514 - 2 years ago

In reply to Aleksandr926

Jaune says he thinks of him as a deep friend and we see several examples in the way they interact.

Ren. I'm just gonna come out and say it. You are one of my best friends. These past few months, I feel like we really bonded... even though you don't say much. I mean, you're really quiet. To be perfectly honest, I don't know that much about you personally; but, darn it, I consider you to be the brother I never had!

Roman says he has robbed Vale blind and we also hear a newscast by Cyril a reporter even saying as much. RWBY is the exception not the rule.

Cyril: The robbery was led by nefarious criminal Roman Torchwick, who continues to evade authorities. If you have any information on his whereabouts, please contact the Vale Police Department. Back to you, Lisa.

The Time skip is one of those REALLY odd choices they made I really dont understand.

We are told as much we have Oobleck  bring it upand you can see several students actually admit to being bullied for being Faunus.

Cut down because he has a Paragraph before this line.

"Now! Have any among you been subjugated or discriminated because of your Faunus heritage?"

He actually tells them the truth the issue is they dont really act on it. He was following Cinder's trail using a vague description since her Face was blurred by Emerald.

Qrow: Whatever. You sent me to get intel on our enemy, and I'm telling you, our enemy is here.

Ironwood is dismissive of What Qrow has been doing but its made clear he has been doing something.

See the issue is people THINK RWBY is Vague because they dont go into all the details right away but as we are seeing in vol 4 that isnt true at all. They arent going into details because some of those details are clearly later plot threads they need other stuff built before we could really understand or get it. 

RWBY isnt all that Vague its just taking its time to get to details is all.

• Aleksandr926

Aleksandr926

#33378316 - 2 years ago

In reply to revanninja

He actually tells them the truth the issue is they dont really act on it. He was following Cinder's trail using a vague description since her Face was blurred by Emerald.
    Qrow: Whatever. You sent me to get intel on our enemy, and I'm telling you, our enemy is here.
    Ironwood is dismissive of What Qrow has been doing but its made clear he has been doing something.

He's definitely doing something, but you don't come back after a mission saying that your enemy is year and you don't even know who the enemy is. Actually, he saw Cinder, Emerald and Mercury faces, since Emerald used her semblance after he attacked them. Also, whenever Qrow talks I'm buffled by the amount of pronoun game he makes us listen to.

In reply to revanninja

Jaune says he thinks of him as a deep friend and we see several examples in the way they interact.

Yeah, and he also said to be head over heels for Weiss, but somehow I'm supposed to believe that he flirted with her once before the first semester started and twice after the beginning of the second semester. My assumption wasn't based on rainbows and unicorns, but on logic and experience with the media. Look at Jaune: do you think the same guy who prepared a serenade and asked the girl he liked to go out with him in the middle of a lesson could stay quiet for six months? He never talked to her?

Jaune and his close friendship with Ren is something that drives me crazy, 'cause they never interacted before that conversation. I'm not faulting Jaune or Ren on that one, but the awful writing. I guess they didn't have budget and time, so they left out many bonding scenes, but that's not something you can make up for five or six volumes later. It's already too late.

• revanninja

#33378569 - 2 years ago

In reply to Aleksandr926

No he didnt see their faces if you watch when he catches Amber after he cut the grimm strings and he looks up Cinder's face is distorted and blurry. And before that he was a distance away and running at them so he wouldnt have been able to get a good look.

All he had to go on is their general description.

As for the pronoun game part of that is he is discussing people in the know so he doesnt need to explain himself annoying yes but understandable.

Actually yeah because I have seen that in real life. He isnt someone who has much self-confidence so he got rejected he sat back and pinned for her. He also wasnt in love with her he thought he was sure but its really obvious it was just a deep crush. Recall no dating experience so to Jaune its much more intense then it would be for someone who has dated and done this because for him its ALL new. Its part of the reason why he was blind to Pyrrha.

And where is this in the middle of a lesson thing coming from? Because so far I cant find it. I have the singing part which seemed spurred on by the dance but I cant find this middle of the lesson thing you keep bringing up.

• Knightofbalance

Knightofbalance

#33457964 - 1 year ago

What I don't get is that people act like RWBY screws up majorly. Like everyway RWBy apparently screws up I have seen something else, something much more famous and well respected.

I mean, the writing isn't that bad or even bad at all. I'm interested in the story, the characters make sense, their actions are consistent. This is better writing than say Neon Genesis Evangelion, where the main character Shinji regularly devolves into a whining, moaning mess of a person after getting over his problems without good reason. We don't see him devolve naturally like a real depressed person would do he just does so for the sake of the plot. And the motivations of the villains make no sense. Angels want to merge with their father Adam to kill everything because.... SEELE wants to stop the Angels but thinks humanity is a mistake and think the Angels should be the ones to live so they kill them And Gendo wants to use the Evangelions to see his wife again but when an alternative to not using the Evas turns up he sabatoges it.

And people say there are plot holes in RWBY. Again, NGE, one of teh most critically acclaimed anime shows ever made, has hormonal, unstable teenagers piloting tempermental cyborgs. it's answer to this? "Duh....Fuck you." Why does NGE get a pass but RWBU doesn't.

People say that Ruby is an underdeveloped main character and that's bad. I could bring up teh fact that NGE has Shinji essentially never develop but I will use the quartet of JoJos. Jonathan, Joseph, Jotaro and Josuke never develop or change but no one ever complains about that. And Jotaro is just a blank, stotic jerk whose a little clever and he's the most well known of them all, So why does JoJo get a pass when RWBY doesn't?

RWBY is said to have terrible animation. I say: have you seen Doorbees? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veVPWYNTj00 And then there's the fact that Berserk 2016 has even worse 3D animation and that an adaptation of one of the most beloved manga of all time and made by a professional anime studio, not the first original IP made by barely professionals.

RWBy is said to be very inconsistant with Aura but it hasn't violated any rules I have seen so far. And yet Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, a critically acclaimed anime, has a power known as Spiral Power and it's very inconsistant. Like when Lordgenome disabled Gurren despite the mecha being able to regenerate. yet no one bats an eye. Sow hy does TTGL get a pass when RWBY doesn't

Why does so many shows get a pass on things or get ignored and RWBY doesn't? Why does screwing up in minor ways piss people off but fucking up in game breaking ways (NGE) get not only a pass but praised for it? It seems kind of hypocritical.

• MisCon

MisCon

#33459281 - 1 year ago

In reply to Knightofbalance

First, I think there are people who love to be jerks, and second, I think it has to do with having an actual liking and passion for a story that makes people react like so.

I think one of the reasons people get so let down by movie adaptations of books is because they can imagine a book's scenes in ANY way that suits them. Characters are rarely defined with much visual detail, action can only be spoken of, not shown, and so whatever the reader imagines would naturally be what he WANTS to see and likes. This isn't DIRECTLY related, but has a similarity.

See, when you really get attached to a story, especially one told in episodes and thus incomplete, you imagine all the cool things surrounding whatever you see on screen, and most importantly remember the high points of your favorite episodes and subconsciously hope every episode will be as good. It's really hard to tell a fully complete story one episode at a time, and thus regular TV series' have to cram a 3 act story into less than an hour, while simultaneously including bits of the overall arc to keep viewers hooked. RWBY is different in that it isn't even TRYING for the usual 3 act arc and is telling pieces of a whole story that SHOULD make the most sense viewed all together. We're getting pieces of a feature-length movie every week or so. You can't always shove action and climax into every episode, and sometimes bland stuff is needed to be done, just because, making for a bland episode. But most importantly, when you care about a story, and get hooked, and you want to see it done the kind of justice you imagine, then whenever something doesn't seem right, it gets you mad.

And finally there is the Real Life time frame vs the Plot Time time frame, We've been following Ruby for 4 years, but really for only a little more than a year of her life, and only as much story as about 4 movies worth. She has grown and progressed, but not much. Even a half-hour TV series has much more screentime  and Plot Time than RWBY has, much more time to grow.

Let me close by saying that I LIKED Iron Man 3's Mandarin, only because I don't know and have a passion for the comic version. I wasn't able to understand how pissed fans were about X-Men Origins' Deadpool, because I had no idea who Deadpool was supposed to be. Infact, he was pretty cool and scary in Origins; BUT THAT'S NOT WHO DEADPOOL IS!!!! Furthermore, I kinda hate Star Wars 7 because they JUST RECYCLED ALL THE OLD PLOT ELEMENTS!!! It's fine standing alone, but it DOESN'T stand alone; it needs more justice!

So, it is the people who love the story most that are the most critical.... UNTIL it's all said and done and becomes a "classic", like NGE, which RWBY might become and all the criticisms will pass away. Also, of course, the story isn't done yet. My biggest bitch is that Pyrrha died too soon and Amber was USELESS! Why define a whole character whose only line was "No!" and then gets face raped, lies in a coma, and then dies. And Pyrrha, the best and ONLY perfect, selfless character on the show, wasted so soon. BUT, I console myself, because it seems very likely our beloved Pyrrha will be back in some way or other (she clearly hasn't left the story), and from what Qrow said, Amber might even be alive in Cinder's head!!! I have no idea where this story is going, but since the whole maiden transfer arc went NOWHERE, it looks like a massive flaw; BUT it might turn out to be instrumental to the story, who knows?

• Knightofbalance

Knightofbalance

#33459482 - 1 year ago

In reply to MisCon

While that does make sense at first, i should remind you that the most critical person of RWBY out there is Fatmanfalling, a Caustic Critic who attacks the writers numerous times, believes RWBY has no redemning qualities and his entire fanbase thinks anyone who doesn't absolutely loath RWBY's existence or say that RWBY is completely flawed and is a worthless show is a fanboy. So that doesn't really work.

And your "defining a minor character" is anotehr thing that is seen as not only a flaw in RWBY but as a plus eslewhere, like how the minor characters in TTGL make the show better but somehow make it worse in RWBY. And I have heard this FROM TTGL fans. Again, it's hypocritical.

And teh berserk thing was to illustrate that there is worse CGI for a much more beloved IP than RWBY and yet RWBY gets ragged on. And then there's Doorbees, some of the ugliest animation every made and people still have complained about RWBY's animation.

It's like those RWBY critics don't have perspective:

RWBY did a better job with depression than NGE yet NGE gets praised.

RWBY has MUCH better CGI than Berselk 2016 yet Berserk gets passed by some.

RWBY has had more defined rules than most anime like DBZ yet DBZ gets praised.

RWBY's plot has less holes in it than Puella Puella Amdoka Magica and yet PPMM gets praised.

RWBY has more development in it's characters than JoJo yet JoJo gets praised.

It's like the minor fuck ups of RWBY can't be excused but somehow they can be in places where they are far worse. Why? is it because it's new and there fore they can get away with it?

• MisCon

MisCon

#33459738 - 1 year ago

I believe Fatmanfalling falls under the "people like to be jerks" line I started with.

While you are right about all those lackluster shows getting praise, RWBY does indeed get praise too. The real question you need to ask is: is it those SAME people who praise the shows that fail worse than RWBY the ones who bash RWBY?

My criticism against Amber is that they went through all that work to define a unique character, whose details and style speaks of depth and backstory, only to kill her off so pitifully. No other flashbacks, no other history, no other LINES. And that's not even a serious criticism. They can define the details of whoever they want; it just seemed stupid what they did, just to throw her away.

• Knightofbalance

Knightofbalance

#33459762 - 1 year ago

"LackLuster shows"

I may have criticized TTGL and PPMM but they are not lackluster. PPMM is one of the best deconstructions/dark takes on a genre I have seen and TTGL literally saved my life and it's even a major influence on RWBY.  know this sounds bad but I'm just setting teh record straight: flaws don't kil a show. A lack of good things kill a show. And RWBY, PPMM and especially TTGL definitely don not have this problem.

And that's just a sign of good art direction. Again, each minor character in TTGL look like they could be the main character, which helps us relate to them despite the low amount of development they get. It's also a treat to watch them.

• MisCon

MisCon

#33459920 - 1 year ago

Ok, I admit I know little about these shows, but I've heard of them and when I looked into them, looked like the kind of thing I would never bother to watch. The flaws you list would be a lot of the reasons why. I like RWBY because it has the one thing from Anime I LIKE, the over-the-top fighting and action, and a much more sane plot and writing. Anyway, my point still stands: Are the same people who complain about RWBY's flaws the same who praise these other animes?

• Knightofbalance

Knightofbalance

#33460127 - 1 year ago

In reply to MisCon

yes, they are. And tehir response "BUt RWBY is bad and this show good."

• kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19

#33460432 - 1 year ago

There's always going to be people who are going to take criticism a little too far and make any series look worse then it really is. Also no series is ever going to be perfect and flawless in every way possible so some of the people you've mentioned about saying series like Evangelion are better done then RWBY despite that series having it's own shares of issues sound like that they may have some sort of bias going on due to nostalgia or something else.

So in short I wouldn't take it too personal. I mean yeah I get how it can get a little annoying but still some people are going to have different opinions then others one way or another.

• Knightofbalance

Knightofbalance

#33460455 - 1 year ago

In reply to kaijuguy19

Oh boy do I know series can ahve flaws. TTGL is my favorite anime so I know it's flaws inside and out and rather aware. It's just these people seem to think that their show doesn't have thsoe flaws. It's poossible it's just me.

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. Still annoying when I can't get it though.

• MisCon

MisCon

#33462334 - 1 year ago

Thought this might lighten the mood...

RWBY Funny

• Knightofbalance

Knightofbalance

#33462451 - 1 year ago

In reply to MisCon

You know what's funnyt about that? that RWBy has a japanese release and dub. For reference, Japan HATED shows like Avatar, citing them as offensive. And then there's the RWBY manga, meaning that Japan has all but considered RWBY to be an anime like the ones produced there. So i fond it funny that a bunch of Americans think they can call RWBY not anime when Japan itself, the birthplace of anime, has all but said otherwise.

And tehn there's shows like My Life Me, which is probably why people are hesitant at foregin anime.