Forums > RWBY

RWBY Volume 5: In-Depth Discussion/Speculation/Spoilers (All Things Must Die {FINALE})

Posts (14447)

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33705836 - 6 months ago

In reply to wolf-rain

Jesus, Wolfie, take it easy! That's an awful lot of work isn't it? But I appreciate it. Your analysis are always a treat to read.

• 77explorer

77explorer FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33705894 - 6 months ago

In reply to wolf-rain

I saw the AMA though. I’m glad  CRWBY cleared some stuff up. The qrow being Ruby’s dad theory is finally dead. Thank the heavens above, omg. 

Unless, of course, it is true and this is to throw the fans off the scent, all leading up to a narrative "Gotcha!" moment. 

Case in Point:

Before "The Last of Us" was released, some interviewers flat out asked if there was a chance that Ellie would be a playable character at any point in the game. This was unequivocally denied, yet a good deal of the winter chapter has the player trekking through as the aforementioned character (not to mention the DLC which later followed), all the way to the boss fight with the crazy settlement leader.

• spoolofwhool

spoolofwhool

#33705928 - 6 months ago

In reply to mattcjx

That still doesn't explain why they didn't radio in warnings while they were on their way to Mistral City.  

I would say it's just an unintentional flaw of the system. The towers would still be fiercely guarded whether or not the entire system hinged on all of them active since they were the only way to directly communicate to the other kingdoms. Have the entire system crippled feels like too big a risk compared to the gamble that that threat would cause people to care more about it.

That's not panic though. Panic is direct fight or flight response because of immediate threat. Blowing up Haven, or part of Haven would just instill a general feeling of fear or insecurity in people, not panic them. As an example, panic is what you get when a fire starts in a theater and every is just rushing out. 

I was going to write a lot more, but I realized after thinking it through that I'm just wasting both of our times because I'm not addressing the actual problem I have with the WF ending. 

The issue I have is narrative weight. V5 spent time building up the implied threat of the WF, and the need for a faunus army to stop it. We had Ghira give his whole speech and remind us of Beacon, we had Blake and Sun spend a lot of screentime walking around looking for people, we got the notice that they had spent a lot of real world time looking for help, and most importantly, we got Adam directly stating his intentions to escalate the actions of the WF into a war. 

All of this coupled with what we saw of Beacon implied to me that the WF was going to do something huge and devastating, which is also supported by Watts and Cinder stating that the WF was going to destroy Haven. From someone in the know, this is important, compared to Ghira who was basing his supposition on third party information. However, when we finally get to it, we don't see much attempted destruction, just bombs on one building, an insignificant building. No sign of Adam's desired war or even a hint of escalation. Beacon was far bigger than this, bringing grimm created a message which was far more significant than just destroying Beacon and Vale. 

That's the issue, that the threat of the WF implied was shown to be insignificant, that for all the talk of needing a faunus army, Blake could've stopped it with just her parents and their guards. It was, to me, a giant letdown.

However, for all the talk I've made about Adam needing more people, that probably wouldn't have been a good solution to the problem. Adding more people to give a stronger resolution and fight would've detracted from the Ozpin vs Salem fight happening in the Room of Static Fighting. Thinking about it more, more people would've generally caused more problems with the pacing, and at the same time, you have been making great points about why there shouldn't have been more. This is why I think it's just another fundamental flaw with the structure of V5. Ending the WF there felt like an afterthought to the events of Menagerie, which was somewhat the point, but also a massive problem due to the narrative weight given. 

To fix this, I would point again to my idea of dividing the events of V5 between both V5 and V6, with three main climax points. The first would be the battle in Menagerie, which would be the finale of V5. Then in V6, Blake would take the faunus army, not to defend Haven, but more proactively confront the WF at a base of theirs. This would be a climax at the middle of V5. However, Adam would escape at this point, and Blake would chase, and he would join Cinder at Haven, leading Blake there, and allowing her and Adam to be more relevant to the Battle of Haven. This would give the resolution of faunus vs WF a chance to have a significant payoff, and then still connect to Haven. You would need to change details as then there would be no way for Raven's assassination plot to occur, but that could be easily resolved by Qrow realizing that Leo was being super-suspicious, spying on him, and learning of the plan to get the relic. Then Ozpin and co would've gone to defend it, and the same battle would've occurred. 

Anyhow, food for thought, which I probably should've brought up earlier instead of wasting time arguing about a symptom.

• spoolofwhool

spoolofwhool

#33705930 - 6 months ago

In reply to 77explorer

Personally I see no reason why they would bother with that, especially since they have said repeatedly that Qrow isn't her dad. That's not to say that I still wouldn't be suspicious of what they tell us.

• 77explorer

77explorer FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33705935 - 6 months ago

In reply to spoolofwhool

Well, if they want this or something else to stay surprising at all (given all the theories and other such speculation), all they can really do is deny or keep silent about it. 

• wolf-rain

wolf-rain

#33705945 - 6 months ago

In reply to 77explorer

Don't do this to me. Let me live the dream. Just. Let me live in it. 

In reply to FettucCR

Is it? I didn’t realize it seems like that much work, but i guess... yeah, it sort of is. ^^’ thanks Fettuc. I’m glad to have wrapped up Vol1 episodes, and that people still like them but Ugh. It took foreve. 

I’m planning the vol 1 OST analysis soon, as we wade the hiatus tide. It’s gonna be epic. 

In reply to mattcjx

I could fill up half these pages if given the proper motivation and inspiration. >D yeah I’m like, a pretty dedicated person when I get into something I wanna do. You can, if you want. I and a few friends are on there. It’s like, my rwby work hub more than anything, tbh. 

Added:

Like, I mainly use it as my posting platform. I’d use my RWBY tumblr for all this stuff but that 10-photo limit, man. Ouch.

• 77explorer

#33705953 - 6 months ago

In reply to wolf-rain

Very well. I have said what I wanted to say and will say no more.

• wolf-rain

wolf-rain

#33705958 - 6 months ago

In reply to 77explorer

Bless your merciful soul.

• spoolofwhool

spoolofwhool

#33706039 - 6 months ago

In reply to 77explorer

True, but if they don't want to confirm stuff, it would be better not to say something. I think it's poor behavior for writers to blatantly lie to the audience about a show detail.

• spoolofwhool

spoolofwhool

#33706044 - 6 months ago

Huh, I just noticed something really weird. I went back to rewatch Ruby Rose, V1E1, so I could get a sample of Ruby's voice pre-squeak, and right at the start she knocks down two of the armed thugs without Crescent Rose. Can someone explain to me how this doesn't demonstrate some aptitude at hand-to-hand combat? Did they actually stealth nerf her just to turn it into character development in V5?

• wolf-rain

wolf-rain

#33706045 - 6 months ago

In reply to spoolofwhool

This, this I can get behind. Please yes.

Added:

I noticed and put that in, when I anaylized the episode, that ruby was similar to Yang’s fighting style (when she does try to physically fight/ doesn’t use her weapon). She catches on, she’s just more passive in terms of hand to hand, in general. She’s used her weapon majority of the time in most fights - it’s  her weakness consistently. 

Alrighty, I’m going to start on the volume 1 OST soundtrack analysis, y’all. 

• GammaEmerald

GammaEmerald

#33706047 - 6 months ago

Interesting, but wasn’t that offscreen, and didn’t Ruby take them by surprise?

• wolf-rain

wolf-rain

#33706054 - 6 months ago

In reply to spoolofwhool

In reply to GammaEmerald

We see her kicking them through thw window, and before that, her most likely Punching the first guy that was trying to rob her. We didn’t se the start of her kicking them through the window, but the during and after. 

They seemed pretty surprised in general, thinking she was just a child without combat training.

It is... sort of major physical fighting for her, but maybe they were inexperienced. I mean, Yang took them down very, very effortlessly. They weren’t a challenge at all, so maybe ruby had it easy...? Ugh. They really did lower her physical combat after that, I have to agree.

• GammaEmerald

GammaEmerald

#33706063 - 6 months ago

Well there was a time skip. Maybe she forgot her hand-to-hand training.

• wolf-rain

wolf-rain

#33706078 - 6 months ago

In reply to GammaEmerald

Or she became more reliant on her weapon, and her lack of practice on her weaknesses made her downgrade her skill level.

• spoolofwhool

spoolofwhool

#33706081 - 6 months ago

In reply to wolf-rain

In reply to GammaEmerald

It takes some degree of either direct physical strength or martial understanding to redirect forces to throw someone with the force we saw. Even if we assume that there's some rule of cool going on, plus the standard that huntsmen in Rwby are stronger than they look, she probably would've still needed some training. Additionally, Junior's men looked like they had some understanding of fighting, with their swords and everything. Also, the second guy wasn't taken by surprise, he went at her and they knew she was potentially a threat since she had already knocked one guy back.  

In reply to GammaEmerald

The implication appeared to be that she never had it, but maybe. It wouldn't make much sense for her to lose it though.

• spoolofwhool

spoolofwhool

#33706088 - 6 months ago

In reply to wolf-rain

That's a good point. It's still a poor thing to do, just for the sake of character development, which wasn't even handled that well anyways.

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33706096 - 6 months ago

In reply to spoolofwhool

That was the very beginning of the show. Maybe they hadn't still settled some character traits that we got to see later.

• wolf-rain

wolf-rain

#33706104 - 6 months ago

In reply to spoolofwhool

Touché. 

But the grunts seemed stupid regardless. IMO. She does have training, she just slacked off, and it shows. It is her primary form to use C.R., but it is barley existent hand to hand for a Huntress at her expected level; she is behind in training, since she moved up 2 years. Maybe this is Signal level combat and Not Beacon level. 

• GammaEmerald

GammaEmerald

#33706107 - 6 months ago

In reply to FettucCR

I don’t like hand waving because of “they hadn’t decided what they were going for”. Monty’s has this laid out for a while it seems, Plus in general I feel like it doesn’t cut it as an excuse.

• wolf-rain

wolf-rain

#33706108 - 6 months ago

In reply to FettucCR

Or this. But I think they planned ruby to not be a big arse kicker like Yang. I think they planned on her Inexperince. The first episode was maybe just us getting to see what she can be capable of. She was in her best focus then. 

... wonder why, when facing other opponents, she was more off her game. Maybe is was the element of surprise //grunt inexperience than anything else. I mean... They weren huntsmen, you know?

• GammaEmerald

GammaEmerald

#33706111 - 6 months ago

wasn’t there a comment about the grunts being bad at their job when Yang and Neptune interrogated Junior in that one Volume 2 episode?

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33706113 - 6 months ago

In reply to GammaEmerald

You're right, it doesn't cut it as excuse. But it's a plausible explanation, IMO. And while Monty might have it pretty much figured out since day 1, there's the possibility not everything was perfectly set. Or perhaps is some form of Flanderization. At first she was good with her scythe. Several volumes later, she's great only with her scythe.

The point is, I'm not expecting some in-show explanation for this, because I believe a writing issue is more likely.

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33706116 - 6 months ago

In reply to GammaEmerald

In reply to wolf-rain

OK Gamma, you made a good point there. They are grunts, and grunts usually work under the Law of Conservation of Ninjutsu, and therefore are easier to beat.

• wolf-rain

wolf-rain

#33706119 - 6 months ago

In reply to GammaEmerald

In reply to FettucCR 

Tots.

But yeah. Big hope for Ruby is increase in physical combat skill. She really like. Needs it. With training by vol 5, we can tell she can take a hit and can give one back.