Forums > RWBY

Been designing a RWBY card game, and will have a prototype at RTX!

Posts (7)

• eurobeatjester

eurobeatjester FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33630212 - 1 month ago

Hey everyone :) 

Over the last four or five months or so, I've been working on the design for a RWBY themed card game. I used to play a few many years ago and after just doing a few card designs, I decided to actually try to get a prototype going!

I was able to get about a dozen cards printed up to show Kara at Phoenix Comic-Con, and she absolutely loved them! 

I've been busy with work and some other projects the last few weeks, but got the order to the printer last week. I get them the day before I fly out to Dallas and then drive south to Austin. Gonna be fun as it's my first RTX, and I'd love to be able to play it with a few people! I have decks for JNPR and RWBY, along with character cards for SSSN and CFVY with some extras to hopefully give as gifts to the cast and crew :)

I ended up designing about 90 cards for the prototype, although not all of them are used in the pre-constructed decks and I'm bringing them in a deck box.

Here's an imgur album of about two dozen cards.

Here's a link to the google doc with the rules and gameplay explanation.

It's been a lot of fun to playtest this through about a dozen different proxy decks among a few friends and the group at the local comic shop. It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with how it's come out!

I'd love to get together with a few people at RTX to help me try it out :)

• Akhaos

Akhaos FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33630873 - 1 month ago

I'm thoroughly impressed. I imagine that this card game prototype took weeks, at the very least, to get to this point. I like it. I love the idea here, and I'm sure Rooster Teeth would, too...

Hopefully I'll see you at RTX!

• eurobeatjester

eurobeatjester FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33631068 - 1 month ago

The printed cards themselves came in today and I'll be bringing them with me! Hope to see you too!

• Akhaos

Akhaos FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33632232 - 1 month ago

I couldn't find you, sorry. I'm home now, too, so perhaps another time. Did anybody play them with you?

• eurobeatjester

#33643100 - 3 weeks ago

They did! I had about 20 people play with me over the course of the convention, from newbies to people that have been playing TCGs since Magic first came out.

I got some amazing feedback on the game, and on some things to change and what to keep. I was able to show Miles and Kerry, and speak with RT Games. Hopefully something comes of it!

• Akhaos

#33643317 - 3 weeks ago

Dude, that is awesome! I think I saw you on YouTube for the RWBY Q&A Panel, where you showed your prototypes. To be able and show it to the producers, as well as speak to RT Games directly? Something very well could come out of this. I'm looking forward to announcements in the future!

• eurobeatjester

#33644496 - 2 weeks ago

Yep, that was me during the second QnA, the second question!