Forums > RWBY

Who Is To Blame For Cinder's Condition?

Posts (25)

• ClNDERFALL

ClNDERFALL FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Fall Maiden of Remnant

#33691052 - 1 week ago

So at the end of Episode 12 of Volume V, we get several major reveals — I'm focusing on one.

Cinder's left arm since the beginning of Volume IV has been covered up.  In fact, some argued that there was something wrong with it.  That was of course, an understatement.  Apparently, her left arm is now a Grimm arm — similar to that of the Nuckalavee from Volume IV.  We're also told that Ruby took her left eye & for most of that volume, Cinder was unable to speak as she recovered.

After watching Episodes 1112 of Volume V, I have to wonder — did Ruby actually do anything?  Cinder gets blasted by the Silver Eyes in Episode 11 & while it does bring her to her knees, there is no damage done — not even to the Grimm portions of her.  I have no doubt that the Silver Eyes bring Cinder pain, but there's a difference between pain & having to replace major portions of your body.  All on the left, I might add.

When Cinder stole the Fall Maiden's power back in Volume III, the hand she used was her right — the uninjured one.  So I don't believe that comes into play otherwise she would be forced into using her left hand.  So, where did the damage come from?  The big, bad dragon is merely frozen atop Beacon Tower — but Cinder loses an eye & her arm?  This sounds a lot like Salem getting to Cinder while she was knocked out — or even frozen by the Silver Eyes — & having someone like Watts operate on her in an attempt to salvage their Fall Maiden.  Then she wakes up & Ruby becomes their scapegoat.

Maybe it's just me, but I was always doubtful when Tyrian said: 

"Well, she took your eye."

Even if Ruby had awoken before Cinder while they were both on top of Beacon Tower — I don't see Ruby being the type of person who would walk over to a helpless individual and carve them up.  In my opinion, Salem is manipulating Cinder through anger, hatred & a need for revenge.

• Xuelder

Xuelder FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Some Sort of Art Boi

#33691057 - 1 week ago

So what you are saying is that Salem is turning her into Grimm Vader?

• ClNDERFALL

ClNDERFALL FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Fall Maiden of Remnant

#33691059 - 1 week ago

Manipulation through hatred & anger are not unique to Star Wars.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33691069 - 1 week ago

In reply to CinderFaII

At this point, we should assume nothing, including about what's behind Cinder's mask.

• ClNDERFALL

#33691071 - 1 week ago

Oh, I'm well aware of that.  It's still fun to theorize.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33691153 - 1 week ago

Qrow could have also raced up that tower thinking Ruby was in danger, saw her passed out, rage drivingly attacked Cinder, and left with unconscious Ruby. We haven't been shown a reason he wouldn't try to end someone, if his niece was in danger.

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33691156 - 1 week ago

In reply to SirSailorStar

If he attacked someone like that he wouldnt just leave he would try to kill. Especially because he would be aware of what Cinder is. So not killing her doesnt make sense.

It also doesnt make sense because Cinder VERY clearly blames Ruby and if it was Qrow who did it she would blame him.

• Kainschylde

Kainschylde FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Kainschylde

#33691166 - 1 week ago

In reply to revanninja

Agreed, if Qrow had done it he wouldn't have just taken her eye and arm, he would have taken her entire head.

• ssimpson86

ssimpson86 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33691196 - 1 week ago

The point of that scene was the Silver eyes didnt fully engage because Emerald stopped her. It was just enough to stop Cinder from killing Jaune. It effected her Grim arm, that's why she fell and clutched it in pain. I dont get how that could be missed. Its very clearly the Silver eyes. Even Salem talked to her about it being a danger to her power.

• ClNDERFALL

#33691269 - 1 week ago

In reply to ssimpson86

It's not that any of us missed that, it just leaves more questions than answers.  While atop Beacon Tower, Cinder took the full force of the Silver Eyes — and yet, only one side of her body seems to have been affected in any way.  That seems like a very deliberate attempt to retain the ability to pass for human — whether or not she was the one who made that choice is any ones guess.  If anything, her entire body should have suffered devastating effects.  The fact that her injuries are relegated to one side call makes me wonder what happened to her between Volumes 3 & 4.  Who found her?  How did she return to Salem?  I will confess I have always been drawn to broken characters — Cinder is no exception.

• ssimpson86

ssimpson86 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33691408 - 1 week ago

In reply to CinderFaII

Its relegated to one side because that's the side the grim beetle was used on when she took the fall maiden powers thats the whole reason for the weakness to silver eye powers.  I think youre overthinking things. I dont see how you can see Cinder as "broken". We know nothing about her, but going by what we do know shes just a power mad lunatic. Not to say more wont he revealed though. I mean we know that Emerald was a street rat who was on the verge of starving and Mercury was from an  abusive home, thatd what Id qualify as broken. 

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33691436 - 1 week ago

In reply to ssimpson86

Ah, I forgot Cinder had the Grimm power thingy on that arm.

• ClNDERFALL

#33691445 - 1 week ago

In reply to ssimpson86

So — about that glove ...

CINDER IS NOT A SOUTHPAW

• ClNDERFALL

#33691447 - 1 week ago

It's been my experience that true monsters, individuals without morals or empathy are extremely rare.  Not only that but from a storytelling standpoint, they are also extremely dull.  I like Emerald & Mercury & I like their backstory.  I want to know more about Cinder herself & why she's so uncaring — why she's so broken.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33691510 - 1 week ago

In reply to ssimpson86

The funny part of this topic is that the OP (then going under the name CinderForPresident) and I had this very discussion a year ago.  You can read it right here to get caught up.  What this topic shows is that the OP is a devout Cinder sympathizer.  I would be VERY careful about engaging if the discussion involves Cinder in ANY way.  Cinder might be broken, but it's all her own fault now, and we should NEVER feel any sympathy for her.  Remember, she shot up a school.  To all of us, as well as the cast, she should REMAIN a power-mad lunatic.

• ClNDERFALL

#33691557 - 1 week ago

In reply to WrightKnight

Why should they be careful?  I've always liked Cinder, that's hardly a secret.  But I've always been open to discussion.  

• ClNDERFALL

#33691568 - 1 week ago

In reply to WrightKnight

I've gone over the original discussion — please bear in mind that it took place 11 months ago.  I always try to be fair & honest.  I never claimed that Cinder was a good person — in fact, I go out of my way to state that several times.  I fully acknowledge that Cinder could merely be cruel & evil.  I don't believe my stance has ever been anything different.  That being said, please try to stay on the topic of this post.  Thank you.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33691919 - 1 week ago

In reply to CinderFaII

Now, why did someone have to go and put a negative on your comment. Geez...I took it off. +1 Cinder for you

• ClNDERFALL

#33691923 - 1 week ago

In reply to SirSailorStar

Honestly, I didn't even notice that someone had.  Still, I appreciate your action.  Some people can take these discussions far too personally.  I prefer to keep everything relatively civil.  I am not saying we will all agree — in fact, on most cases we won't.  I am more than aware that Cinder is a morally corrupt individual.  But I have always been drawn towards broken characters.  However, not knowing anything about a character's past makes defending them somewhat difficult.

• ClNDERFALL

#33692186 - 1 week ago

Uh-oh.

Yup — that's my Twitter. Thanks, Boomstick.

• kuro00

kuro00

#33692304 - 6 days ago

Well, i don't think the SE esentially freeze in the sense of freezing, but more like a petrifying effect, this would explain more how the Grimm Wyvern still hasn't melted over and is just there on Beacon Tower (i hope they already thought of blowing the MF up with loads of explosives, since i don't think it helps the morale having a gargantual Grimm so close to the city.) and i don't expect the Grimm being completely over Cinder's body, but the SE did do critical damage to Cinder, 8 months passed after the attack or so we were told and Cinder still is receiving medical grimmsicial attention from Salem and can't even raise her voice because for some reason her vocal cords seem completely weakened, i don't think the SE effect should had completely killed Cinder since she is not a full Grimm and she was and still is as of now a Maiden, not counting Aura or anything since we haven't been told if any of these have protective properties against SE.

What is left to explain is how did it do so much damage to Cinder in that side of her body, was the Grimm precisely located there?, or was her body so damaged/weakened after the SE strike that it left that part of her body unusable, thought the idea of Salem&Watts having something to do with her limb being amputated does sound interesting.

What makes me think of the SE having more of a petrifying than freezing effect is the reaction of Cinder when Jaune cuts a part of whatever Cinder has in her damaged eye and it looks like stone (not counting that then she felt extremely enraged after that, maybe she still feels that part of her body or it struck her with memories and phantom pain maybe?) making me think that her eye is just completely unusable because of the Petrifying effect, and since having a unusable arm seems worst than a unusable eye in this case, Salem or Watts deemed it was better to deal with this by Amputating it and replacing it with a Grimm like limb, or putting another Grimm inside her (probably Geist like) so it could replace her arm. (I said putting another Grimm since in her flashback Cinder is shown to absorb part of Amber Maiden Powers by using a Grimm like Creature rather than killing her.)

• ClNDERFALL

#33692318 - 6 days ago

In reply to kuro00

It's an interesting theory.  My only issue with it is why the damage is relegated to her left side.  Cinder used her right hand when she first stole Amber's powers — not her left.  And it doesn't seem to matter which portions of her body were exposed.  We all remember her short, red dress — I mean combat skirt.  She seems to be walking just fine.  And the missing eye was covered by her hair when the Silver Eyes blasted her atop Beacon Tower.

Don't Take My Word For It, Though

So again, why are all her wounds on the left side?  

• kuro00

kuro00

#33692377 - 6 days ago

Yes, indeed that's what makes us wonder the most, either Cinder went to something or someone right after that and got butchered, or we don't know what happened, thought your idea does open a lot more to Salem to the concept of a cruel villain more than a Ozpin obsessed humanoid monster.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33692378 - 6 days ago

In reply to CinderFaII

I really wish we got a flashback showing what happened.

• luminedracone

luminedracone

#33692518 - 6 days ago

I posted this in the V5C12 comment section, so i will just copy and paste it here:

Now that we know that Cinder has a Grimm arm, which looks more like a Geist arm then a Nuckelavee arm, I went back and watched the Volume 3 finale for any hints on how her arm was damaged/blown off in the first place. It may be nothing, but when she was hit by Ruby's Silver-Eyes, Cinder was holding her glass bow in her left hand. Perhaps Ruby's power somehow interacted with the bow in a way that caused the bow to blow up/shatter taking Cinder's arm with it and sending shards into the left side of Cinder's face taking her eye out as well.