Forums > RWBY

RWBY Volume 5 Opinions

Posts (16)

• CPY998

CPY998 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33692654 - 5 days ago

Hi Everyone, I'm starting this thread because I'm curious to hear what people's thoughts of this new volume are, given the amount of hate volume 4 got from some of its watchers. Personally, I think 4 and 5 are two of the best volumes, but that's just my opinion. What's yours?

• BossII

BossII FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33692688 - 5 days ago

I like vol 5 so far. Sure their isn't as much fighting compared to past volumes, that's okay with me. The show is focusing on narrative and characters. Plus we get CRWBY which shows how much work and love goes into animating this show. I love animation so i'll continue watching RWBY

• 1SunStrider

1SunStrider FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Sunstrider

#33692923 - 4 days ago

I've actually been looking for longtime followers of the show to discuss some issues I've been noticing with the series. For one, looking back the original 4 trailers we see what hooked the vast majority of us into the show. Creative use of color, a new take on classic archetypes, and a dynamic form of action setting the show apart from most anime.

Volume 4 and 5 feel like a generic anime. I think there are many things to appreciate but THE ACTION IS SUFFERING. Critical watching of the show isn't needed if you want to explain why the show might need to go on hiatus for a while. COMPARE THE ACTION OF EARLIER VOLUMES WITH WHAT WE SAW IN EPISODE 11 OF VOLUME 5.

Truth be told, I'm not sure why so many fans seem unwilling to ask for a higher quality show from a creative team capable of so much better than what we are getting. I love Rooster Teeth. Without some constructive criticism they can't improve a show that has always had a unique kind of potential.

~Sunstrider over and out

• 1SunStrider

1SunStrider FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Sunstrider

#33692924 - 4 days ago

In reply to CPY998 May I ask which qualities of volume 4 and 5 you like the most, and which you are a little more disappointed by? I'd love to get a polite discussion going.

• CPY998

CPY998 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33693059 - 4 days ago

In reply to 1SunStrider WARNING: THE FOLLOWING OPINIONS COULD TRIGGER CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS.

Personally I think the best parts of volumes 4 and 5 have been the character interactions, particularly the dynamics created between Oscar/Ozpin and the rest of the team, as well as the action scenes. They really took things up a notch with the action sequences, especially with V4Ch7, V5Ch11 and 13. I also liked the development they gave Jaune (Finally, we know his semblance), the revelations of Raven's background, and learning why Ozpin isn't exactly the perfect teacher everyone thought.

• CPY998

#33693061 - 4 days ago

It's not my intention to trigger anyone with my opinions, I just also want to have calm, clean chats about our different opinions

• bigtipper

bigtipper FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33693067 - 4 days ago

I think everyone should wait til the volume is done and they can watch it again in one sitting. It's difficult to gauge a show like this when you have short episodes over 3-4 months. Things like bad pacing get exaggerated if you are forced to watch the whole volume bits at a time. I do think that splitting up the main 4 did put a lot of stress on the story and character development. CRWBY tried to juggle too much and it showed.

• CPY998

#33693069 - 4 days ago

In reply to bigtipper That's a very fair point to make. I just started this because Volumes 4 and 5 I've been seeing reactions online that are about as divisive as reviews for The Last Jedi.

• 1SunStrider

#33693186 - 3 days ago

In reply to bigtipper

Not to be pedantic, but your point is plenty valid for this volume which isn't quite finished... yet volume 4 did finish. Splitting the team may have been a neat development in the plot briefly but you're right that juggling so many different plots can be difficult. Volume 4 struggled to use the new key-frame animation well. Sure it has pretty graphics, but if I wanted pretty graphics I wouldn't have given RWBY a chance.

RWBY worked because of motion capture and the aesthetics making up for the janky character models. Sure it looked homely. It was made with a shoestring budget and passionate creators.

• 1SunStrider

#33693196 - 3 days ago

In reply to CPY998

"WARNING: THE FOLLOWING OPINIONS COULD TRIGGER CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS."
    [Not sure why you put a trigger warning, CPY. We are discussing our opinions about the show. You have every right to express yours in a civil manner. So far you've proven very polite. More so than anyone upset by your beliefs would be I imagine.]

"Personally I think the best parts of volumes 4 and 5 have been the character interactions," 
    [Agreeing about the character interactions. Especially the moments with team RNJR bonding. I love all those characters. That scene where Ruby watches Jaune train with Pyrrha's recording always gives me a lump in my throat.]

{continued}
    "particularly the dynamics created between Oscar/Ozpin and the rest of the team,"

[Might reflect more on the overabundance of characters being juggled at once but I felt like there wasn't enough time to fully explore the dynamics between these characters. Oscar and Ruby had some nice moments but... I'm kind of confused why Oscar/Ozpin is even in the show. Ozpin staying dead might have given Qrow, an overall excellent addition to the show, a far more vital role than he has. I like Oscar... but why even have a side plot with Ozpin possessing someone without concern for freewill or bodily consent?]

{continued}
    "as well as the action scenes."

[The few action scenes we get when exposition loosens the choke hold are failures. Can't compare to the dynamic motion capture based 3D animated fights of the first 3 volumes. RWBY stood out as a triumph in Western AND non-Western animation. Look, CPY, you can enjoy anything subjectively. In terms of choreography the fights are abysmal. Volume 5 episode 11 had multiple combatants who felt like they'd been paired off to save work. Frankly might be the worst episode of RWBY purely on how disappointing the dynamic confrontation we didn't get from that episode was. The poor quality action should be acknowledged. Feels a lot like Church gave half of a review of these volumes; They're just sitting there and talking. While Washington got fixated on reviewing the awful fights, especially Cinder's javelin toss at Weiss; That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.]

"They really took things up a notch with the action sequences, especially with V4Ch7, V5Ch11 and 13."

[sic.] [Respectfully, I disagree with every fiber of my being. May I ask what you especially enjoyed about volume 5 chapter 11? I'm genuinely curious how The More the Merrier was a notch up (or a notch more if you indulge the pun) from the volumes with motion capture.]

"I also liked the development they gave Jaune (Finally, we know his semblance),"

[Yeah that hype train has been going on for about 5 years now. Also, we don't really know his semblance if you've seen the latest episode. He tells Ren it might just be his large aura. No that isn't a spoiler it is a minor plot detail. Could be another... rooster teasebarbara But in all seriousness, any reveal of his semblance at this point was going to suck. Frankly, the Nucklavee fight or even the Geist fight would have been excellent places to demonstrate Jaune using the best thematic use of semblance. POLARITY. A YouTuber named Uniquenameosaurus made a great video essay about his theory. Wouldn't it feel like Pyrrha was still symbolically guiding Jaune if he possessed the same Aura? When the first met, Jaune treated her like a normal person. She is a prodigy who possesses a hidden weakness while he is a failure with hidden potential for greatness. Polarity works because opposites attract... almost like magnets!]

{continued}

"the revelations of Raven's background, and learning why Ozpin isn't exactly the perfect teacher everyone thought."
    [That is pretty cool, CPY. Raven is being fleshed out really well this volume. I agree about that. Although I'm not sure if Ozpin is as much an imperfect teacher as an unethical protector of magical artifacts.]

Sorry if this post is 'tl;dr' material. Please read the first sentences responding to quotes. Anyway, glory to Artstozska and the border patrol officer fabulous Jeremy  jeremy

• 1SunStrider

#33693197 - 3 days ago

In reply to CPY998 

Also, I've got plenty of divisive opinions regarding The Last Jedi being my favorite film out of the entire franchise. Completely off topic just took a moment to respond to a mention of the film to see if anyone really wants to start conflict about that here. Most people will be good natured I hope.

• CPY998

#33693205 - 3 days ago

In reply to 1SunStrider "May I ask what you especially enjoyed about volume 5 chapter 11?" Personally, I liked the idea of every major hero (except for Blake) fighting against every major villain (aside from Salem and Adam). The way they grouped off certain heroes against certain villains reminded me of the airport battle in Captain America: Civil War. I also thought that the episode had some of the best dialogue in the series, particularly from Miles Luna and Jessica Nigri. Though, admittedly, my opinions on the episode might be a bit biased because Jaune vs Cinder was a fight I wanted to see happen ever since the ending of Volume 3.

• 1SunStrider

#33693209 - 3 days ago

In reply to CPY998

That is a reasonable answer drawing upon another fight scene you enjoy. I'm going to respond with two key points.

1: Although the idea of seeing each pair fighting as the shot focuses on the combatants sequentially sounds really awesome, not once in the whole episode is there a fight that feels fast & exciting. The transition from each pair was slow. Whe Oscar confronts Tiger-kidney or whatever his name is, they stand on a balcony overlooking the fight... but it doesn't actually overlook the fight. Felt to me like every moment there was an implied duel happening just off screen.

2: By my recollecting, the airport fight actually had multiple moments of paired combatants interacting with other 'duels' for creative effects. Example, Ant-Man riding one of Hawkeye's arrows to land on someone else. The audience always feels the destructive force of other fights. In The More The Merrier there was no weight. The characters are way too indifferent to the kinetics of the hits or gravity. Someone not paying full attention to the episode could safely assume that these fights are all taking place in different rooms. And Captain America: Civil War actually had fun with incorporating powers into the fight. This episode had action moving at the pace of an immortal snail-assassin.

Not sure I agree completely with that point about the dialogue. While Miles Luna and Jessica Nigri certainly gave good performances, the scripts must have been written by people with no concept of pacing. Why can't characters speak while fighting? They have to pause combat just to emote. That's... just awful. Good dialogue can be seen when Pyrrha explains aura to Jaune, our audience surrogate, while Ren fights a king taijitu using aura. The narration can be played over Ren's demonstration seamlessly. Also the necessary exposition to teach the audience doesn't come at the cost of action, rather the story compliments the action.

Thesis for too long; didn't read... The STORY should complement the ACTION, and the ACTION should also tell a STORY. 

CPY, I've also wanted to see a fight between Cinder and Jaune since volume 3. I hope we get it someday because if that was the climactic confrontation I'm disappointed. Please take this polite criticism as constructive; I absolutely don't think your opinion is anymore biased than most fans of any fandom they love. I also love RWBY. I'm not questioning your opinions of the episode, but I am questioning your critical thinking skills. Wanting to see narrative arcs resolved is not bias. Failing to admit when certain fights aren't *designed well* because you have relaxed standards for the media you love, that is a little biased. You are allowed to ask for more from the media you watch. (Another reason why I've lost interest in Marvel movies since they can't take any risks like a movie with a black lead character as the star without a committee running risk assessments on financial numbers. And don't get me wrong I enjoyed Civil War, even if Abraham Lincoln using an Iron man suit to fight Stonewall Jackson at an airport hanger wasn't historically accurate ;)

[SPOILER ALERT FOR EPISODE 13 OF VOLUME 5]

The 'fight' between Blake and Adam was garbage. No other way to put it. Glad the new animators finally figured out how Blake's semblance works. But they turned an intimidating villain into an edgelord who gets oneshot k.o.'d. Just garbage.

• ianflaquer

ianflaquer FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33693732 - 1 day ago

Well, since you've asked, let me give out my two cents on what I believe to be one of the most critical flaws of the show. Just like 1SunStrider so eloquently put it, constructive criticism is key to make a show better. CRWBY has had a healthy tendency to listen to their audience in the past, so I believe this is a very worthy cause.

I propose that we talk about the elephant in the room... Ruby Rose's character growth.

Let's begin with a little comparison inside of team RWBY, shall we?

If you compare each character from their first appearance to right now, there is no doubt that Weiss has changed the most. Volumes 1 through 3 especially saw her ever so slowly change from a whiny, stuck up and scared kid into a loving and caring teammate who doesn't spare efforts to help a friend. Volumes 4 and 5 have also made a pretty good job at showing such differences in her behavior and decisions, which earned her a lifelong position as a fan favorite.

To be pretty honest, I didn't care for Blake much for most of the show. To me, it felt like she was too controlled and defined by her fears to do anything meaningful, which is a pretty bad trait for a main character in an action-adventure story like RWBY. But now... I mean, look at her. She's finally appreciating the support from all her love interests friends, got over all her fears and was directly responsible for the biggest (intentional) contribution for the good guys of the show so far, turning her into a character I can now truly look up on and root for.

Lastly, we got Yang. All I have to say about her is that her recovery arc is one of the most unique and touching takes on permanent battle injury I've ever seen in fiction. They really put in the effort to show how much it means to lose a body part like that (despite this being a world where they could easily just slap in the metal arm and call it a day) and just how awesome she is, not just for kicking ass, but for the mental fortitude she showed when going through the whole thing.

And then, we have Ruby Rose. Starting way back from chapter 1, volume 1, all up to now, the end of volume 5, how much did she learn from all her adventures? That's right, now she can headbutt a baddie if he or she makes her lose her scythe for a moment. This doesn't even compare to the other girls, which is weird and wrong, considering she is the main character in a show that has amazing character development as one of its main focuses.

"But what about dealing with Phryrra and Penny's deaths? And her whole speech to Oscar? That's growth, right?"
    ...Is a question I expect some of you to be considering right now. Despite its odd timing (I'd personally prefer that they'd worked this at the beginning of volume 4, instead of filling the chapter right after phyrra's death with 5 full minutes of her laughing hysterically over Jaune's hoodie), it sure does look like she had a growth in this matter, but this is just straight-up false.

The reason is simple: Ruby has dealt with this before. Her mother died when she was about half her current age. If you don't consider that a bigger deal than the losses at the fall of Beacon, just look up the lyrics of Red Like Roses Part II: It was the hardest loss Ruby could have ever had. And yet, do you see her grieving about it anywhere in the series? Nope, not a sign. Overcoming losses is simply a natural strength she has, not something she learned through great effort in current events, therefore cannot be considered growth.

Look, I really love Ruby's character. I think her motivation and emotional strength are amazing, and the monologue she gave to Oscar is a beautiful thing that was due 3 seasons ago. But the issue is that, as well-designed as she is, Ruby is a terribly static character. There's hardly a thing she said or did this 5th season that she wouldn't have done when she was a 15-year-old, headphone-wearing, school-attending brat, and this is, at least for me, something that is in dire need of change.

Her voice actress seems to think the same too. In an interview about volume 5, Lindsay Jones mentioned she felt that Ruby was lacking a "breaking moment". I couldn't have said it better myself. I mean, look what it did to Yang; even if you didn't enjoy her recovery arc, there's just no denial that she came out of it better and stronger than ever.

All in all, I think improving on this key aspect is the one thing RWBY must achieve before it ends, or risk having their most important character become a waste of potential.

(TL;DR: Ruby hasn't grown much, especially compared to the rest of team RWBY. Please fix that before it's too late!)

• CPY998

#33693766 - 1 day ago

In reply to ianflaquer This is a very good criticism of it. Out of curiosity, what do you think of the fight scenes this season, and the writing in general?

• ianflaquer

ianflaquer FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33693810 - 23 hours ago

In reply to CPY998 Why thank you, it's something I've been meaning to get off my chest for quite a while now.

About the fights, I can see clearly that the team made the decision to stray a bit from Mounty Oum's original vision on how the fights should play out, perhaps because they'd not be able to replicate his level of quality in a reasonable amount of time.

I won't lie to you, I miss dearly the recoil attacks with crescent rose and Weiss' complex, yet intuitive use of Glyphs and all kinds of Dust (not just ice) mixed in perfectly with her fencing. The new style is less furious and more seamless, giving up on some physics and rhythm to make way for more raw power and dramatic build-ups towards the end of aura and the ensuing battle-ending wound. At first it felt bad and weak, but I've gotten used to it and as of this season I'm again looking forward for every fight. The recent duel between Cinder and Raven is a great example of this style's qualities, and one of my favorite fights in the show.

Writing has improved leaps and bounds from last season, I believe. It's mainly a matter of tone, you see. Season 4 does some important stuff to the plot, but it doesn't feel like that because there's too much meaningless stuff in the middle. It almost felt like they were on vacation or something, specially team RNJR and Blake. I think It would even be reasonable to make volume 4 smaller than the others, if they really felt that there wasn't much more to tell there.

This season, however, picked up right where volume 3 left. It's bleak when it needs to be, which makes the heartwarming moments mean a lot more. The villains seem to always be on the lead until the last moment. Plot is given slowly through the chapter and shares space with meaningful conversations and action scenes. With all that, it makes volume 4 look more like a filler season to me.

But that doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it. I don't like at all the way they're handling the whole "Ozpin isn't exactly a good guy" argument. He's had such a good relationship with the team, as you said it yourself, that I simply can't believe that they'd be mad with him giving Qrow the ability to turn into a bird. It's like they're afraid of having Ozpin do something really questionable and putting some doubt in our minds.

That whole 'fear' thing is something that bothers me, too. Could it be that they're afraid of killing/injuring permanently major good guys ever since season 3 ended, because it might trigger a part of the fandom? Maybe they'll avoid pairing people up, so as to not upset shippers? It is way too soon to tell yet, but it's definitely something that might threathen RWBY's quality in the future.

Thank you for reading. i'll be back next weekend to share my last thoughts on writing as the volume reaches its closure.