Forums > RWBY

The Irritation that is Raven Branwing--Why Does She Exist as a Character?

Posts (193)

• FennecAlbain

FennecAlbain

#33710704 - 3 months ago

Dude, RavenBranwen008 was just joking around with me. Can't you tell between messing around and being legitiment?  

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33710727 - 3 months ago

In reply to Yumaisamazing

To be honest, tone and intent are kinda hard to express on written words, unless you're being very explicit. Which, of course, destroys any semblance of sarcasm in the text. This has been the source of a lot of misunderstandings in the past. 

• FennecAlbain

FennecAlbain

#33710746 - 3 months ago

In reply to FettucCR

Hmm, that is very true. Good point.

• Zalph

Zalph FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RWBY Mega-Fan

#33710766 - 3 months ago

Raven isn't strong, she's powerful. She holds maiden powers and was trained to KILL huntsmen. She's not strong because she won't stand her ground when others are in danger.

• RavenBranwen008

RavenBranwen008

#33710775 - 3 months ago

"The weak die, the strong live. Those are the rules." I guess that's what you do when you've grown up in the wild and live by those rules. The number one rule for living in the wild is save yourself. That quickly turns into instinct. And yes, It doesn't make her strong in a certain way but I think that's about to change... Maybe. When she started crying and actually, ACTUALLY said "I'm sorry" to Yang for the VERY FIRST time... in her whole life and then created a portal to Tai in Patch.

• Zalph

Zalph FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RWBY Mega-Fan

#33710815 - 3 months ago

Those are Raven's rules. They may be very close to the real world... but there are no rules in the real world. Pyrrha Nykos, one of the strongest warriors in Vale was killed. Ozpin, literally a wizard, killed. Actually, Ozpin debunked that rule with certain lyrics in the song This Will Be The Day, where it wrote: "Even brilliant lights will cease to burn." and he's right. I can support this with another quote from Roman back in Volume III right before he was eaten by a Griffin. He said to Ruby, "Then play the part and die like every other huntsman in history." 

• FennecAlbain

FennecAlbain

#33711316 - 3 months ago

Interesting. 

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33711414 - 3 months ago

You know, the "weak die and strong live" mentality that Raven has does not fit her tribe very well. Without Raven. they'd all die. Yang kicked their butts and Cinder's group did as well. Vernal was established as the only other competent member of the tribe and she is now dead. What does that say about Raven to follow such a mentality and have a weak tribe to lead?

• DekZek

DekZek

#33711463 - 3 months ago

In reply to SirSailorStar

There’s a difference between Huntsman level competent, and everyday villager with a day at most of fighting experience competent. Fully trained Huntsmen are likely pretty rare, especially because of how dangerous their job is. Two Huntsmen should be more than though for most scenarios.

• spoolofwhool

spoolofwhool

#33711506 - 3 months ago

In reply to DekZek

Are you talking about the tribe? It still doesn't make much sense that most of the members are just weak nobodies who can't even team up and beat one huntress-in-training considering that the whole point of Raven attending Beacon was to learn how to beat huntsmen and presumably pass that knowledge onto the tribe. Even if they weren't all high-level competence like Qrow, I would've expected them to be at least better than a student for the most part, especially since they should've probably had lots of practice fighting grimm out in the wilderness, or fighting city guards.

• RavenBranwen008

RavenBranwen008

#33711551 - 3 months ago

Whatever. We all have our opinions on her. I'm done defending her from you peeps. 

• DekZek

DekZek

#33711554 - 3 months ago

In reply to spoolofwhool

Agreed, which is why I’m trying to find an explanation. I’d think that the four main schools are for only the most skilled Huntsmen, and the other Huntsmen have just a moderate amount of training, and just got trained by surviving, or in smaller academies (like Signal). Although this isn’t indicated by the show, I can’t seem to find any other rational explanation. Most of the bandits just have enough training for handling your average-skilled Huntsman, but will get their butts kicked by anyone with more training. That’s what Raven And Vernal are for, to take down any fully trained Huntsmen.

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33711555 - 3 months ago

In reply to RavenBranwen008

Duly noted.

In reply to spoolofwhool

In reply to DekZek

Coming to think of it, Blake said she was a pretty competent fighter before even going to Beacon, and she lived in a damned city. I would think a band of outlaws should have more reasons to be good at fighting. Although, in all honesty, I'd blame bad writing over anything else in this case.

• FennecAlbain

FennecAlbain

#33711558 - 3 months ago

I think she need to be silenced. Nothing good ever happens when she's around. As Weiss says it,"She's a hazard to my health!" I can agree with that.  

• spoolofwhool

spoolofwhool

#33711560 - 3 months ago

In reply to DekZek

And in that case, I would still put Yang at that point as around average huntress level since she was just done Signal. In that case, a group of bandits at average huntsman level should be enough to beat one of her, which was clearly not the case. As FettusCR said, I'm honestly just chalking it up to poor writing. 

• Zalph

#33711621 - 3 months ago

In reply to FettucCR

Something else to keep in mind is that for ten years, the tribe had the support of a MAIDEN! There's the possibility that there was no need for them to fight because a single maiden can take down a team of huntsmen.

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33711644 - 3 months ago

In reply to Zalph

That is one possibility, yes. And this leads to the question of how long has the Maiden been among them, or rephrasing it, when exactly did Raven become the Maiden. This is one of the things I want RT to tackle, preferably in the form of the STRQ flashbacks we've been talking about for a while.

• spoolofwhool

spoolofwhool

#33711673 - 3 months ago

In reply to Zalph

I was going to comment on that not fitting Raven's ideology, but then I remembered that I don't really know what her ideology is post-V5E14 so I guess that's possible. I still feel like that wouldn't fit in the front that she was offering that contained her personality though.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33711874 - 3 months ago

I did not know that a character needed to be likable or be a good person in order to have a reason to exist in a story. Learn something new every day I suppose. 

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33711895 - 3 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling

I don't think they have to be likable or a good person. But I think they should have a distinct personality that does not fall apart when their pride gets damaged by their children.

• Zalph

#33711899 - 3 months ago

Most parents would probably fall apart if they experienced rejection from their child. Raven is just another character, nothing special. If any character in Remnant had to be special, it would be Jaune.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33711902 - 3 months ago

In reply to Zalph

And Ruby

• spoolofwhool

spoolofwhool

#33711905 - 3 months ago

In reply to Zalph

"Most parents" is the key. The thing is, Raven was interesting, to me, because of her ideology. Her different expression of family and the like. Learning that she was just.... the same as any other character in that regard reduced any interest I had. At this point, I would rather she not have any real presence in the show any more, and she really shouldn't. 

• Zalph

#33711914 - 3 months ago

Ruby isn't special. Ozpin made that very clear. She's just like Summer and she died during a mission. There is only 1 moment in which Ozpin gave Ruby special treatment, and that was episode 1 when he let her attend Beacon. Ruby does have something unquantifiable, being able to ignite a spark, but even Raven compared her to Summer in those terms. Ruby can even be considered as "Summer's Second Attempt". Kinda harsh, but Ozpin does feel confident about her. 

There is NOT 1 character who can resemble Jaune, which is why I find him special. 

The one time Raven lets a drop a tear, now she has to be removed from the show. lmao. 

I promise you, she still stands by her beliefs. She just couldn't handle being rejected by her daughter. Who can?

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33711957 - 3 months ago

In reply to Zalph

Its not about Raven dropping a tear. Its about Raven throwing her character at the end Volume 5 for writing reasons. She was a mysterious character who believed the strong beat the weak. She cries and shows weakness the ONE time she is truly tested. She stood her ground the first time Yang rejected her. What happened the second time?