Forums > RWBY

RWBY Theory: Penny and the Relic of Creation

Posts (7)

• Dragonologist72

Dragonologist72 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33706337 - 10 months ago

Hello! I've been re-watching the series, and I'm currently into Volume 2. After finding out that Penny's a robot, and Ruby just says that it doesn't matter, because Penny has a soul, a thought occurred. No matter how advanced a system is, even if it becomes self-aware, it can't have a soul. Yet, somehow, Penny does. I then remembered about the Relics. There is the relic of Creation in Atlas, Destruction in Vacuo, Knowledge in Mistral, and Choice in Vale. Even after the reveal of the relic of Knowledge, we still don't know exactly what the relics can do.

When I knew that Penny had a soul, I realized something. Penny was 'born' in Atlas, where the relic of creation is. While we don't know who the winter maiden is, or what the relic of creation can do, it may be safe to assume, in this theory, that it may be capable of giving Penny a soul. Assuming that Ironwood had the winter maiden open the vault, easily accessed by his position of headmaster of Atlas Academy, Ironwood could have used the Relic to give Penny her soul.

For a frame of reference, something similar happened in Green Lantern: The Animated Series. In the second season, it is revealed that Aya was created using part of the Green Lantern Central Battery to give her life.

In summary, I believe that perhaps during Penny's creation, the Relic of Knowledge was used to give her a soul, and therefore aura.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33706588 - 9 months ago

In reply to Dragonologist72

One problem though: the cowardly headmaster of Mistral would never have let Ironwood touch the relic of Knowledge. The relic of Creation would have had to give Penny her soul and aura (your summary says knowledge).

• gothh

gothh

#33706619 - 9 months ago

In reply to SirSailorStar

Why did you talk about Lionhearth, the cowardly headmaster of Mistral, he's in Heaven academy not in Atlas Academy and i don't think he have anything to say about how they handle the thing up here. We don't know who is the headmaster of Atlas, it seem to be Ironwood but it's never be confirm.

In reply to Dragonologist72

About Penny creation, i agree her "soul" is mysterious. I also think the use of the relic is the best explanation. The only counter argument i can think is when Cinder say nobody have open the vault for a long time but she probably just doesn't know. On the other hand with Ironwood paranoia and control obsession if we can open the vault, he would want to do it so he can put it in a place he think is safer and use it to strenghten is army. Actually, the discovery of the vault might be one of the reason Ozpin invite Ironwood in the "guardian group".

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33706694 - 9 months ago

In reply to gothh

Because Dragonologist72 brought up the Relic of Knowledge in the summary and said it was used during Penny's creation. That relic is in Mistral and under Lionheart. Being the coward he is, why would he have let Ironwood do anything with that? I merely pointed the possible typo in the summary because it would make sense in the theory for Ironwood, who has been stated in the show to be over both the military of Atlas and the school (A.K.A., the Headmaster), to use the relic of Creation that is in the same continent he is from.

• anyakylash

anyakylash FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33706712 - 9 months ago

I love this theory!  We know Penny is based off of Pinnochio.  So her father was helped by Ironwood to create her.  If Winter is the Winter maiden, easy access.  In Weiss's new short, we even see how Winter is controlling wind, snow, and ice to make a challenge for Weiss.  That could be weather powers, like the other two maidens have been shown to possess!  So, Ironwood enlists Winter to help (Gepetto?) create a sentient ultimate-warrior using the relic of creation.  What if Penny IS the relic of creation?  She glows green, right?  Shoots a giant green laser?  What if that's a big twist?  Gotta bring her back to life in our hopes and dreams somehow.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33706721 - 9 months ago

In reply to anyakylash

I would love it, if Penny could somehow keep her memories of everyone (and Ruby).

• Dragonologist72

Dragonologist72 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33711132 - 9 months ago

In reply to SirSailorStar

In reply to gothh

I see that there is some confusion in the comments, and I understand why.

In the summary, I said "...Relic of Knowledge was used to give [Penny] a soul..."

I actually didn't catch this until I read the comments, and while I said Knowledge, what I meant to say was that the Relic of Creation gave her a soul. That mistake is on me.

(But who knows? Maybe the Relic of Knowledge was used to help design Penny?)

(Nah, that's silly; it was definitely the Relic of Creation)