If you have been following Roosterteeth for a long time, you are well aware of the changes and challenges that we've faced over the past few years. It has been a huge topic of interest for us at the Oxford Comma Cafe, where we have...in all honesty, beat it like a dead horse. It's been difficult as a forum community member to see the population stratify out to Twitter or Facebook or Reddit, and leaving the forums as a sort of ghost town. Over the past few years the powers that be at Roosterteeth have had a roadmap and priorities that did not include a campaign to address the health of the RT.com forum community, and while I have my opinions on the correctness of that road map, I freely admit that I don't have the whole picture, and so while my opinions are strong, they are just that...opinions.
i feel like this trend has the possibility of turning around now, and I think this is the place to start. Yes, there are a lot of things that RT can do to assist us like giving us better Chat and Group structures, fixing the search, and making it easier to find, share, and PROMOTE user created content. Instead of waiting around for someone else to figure out how to invest in the community or how to bring people back here from the outermost reaches of the internet, I'm thinking that we The Community itself, take it on ourselves to be the change that we want to see. I love this community, and I want to see RT.com be successful, healthy, and growing. I've jotted down a few ideas, and I'd appreciate anyone else's commentary and engagement.
1. Start discussions and invite people to start talking. People can't interact if there is no purpose. If you want to discuss something about RT, why not start a thread here on the site and then LINK it from other social media? Try to get people to come here and socialize content, instead of taking to other places.
2. Join existing discussions. There are tons of things going on around the forum. Between the OCC and RT, there are dozens of other healthy threads with tens of thousands of responses and daily activity. Make sure you are not only joining those, but encouraging others to come to the forums and participate. This is something that I need to do better as I almost exclusively only participate in the OCC. Traffic on the site will let the Powers that Be know that there is an interest here, and showing that interest can only help improve our situation.
3. Write Journals and comment on other's status updates. Again, this is all activity based. I know that I READ tons of Journals, but I very rarely comment or mod. Comment and mod...and encourage others to do the same.
4. Give feedback. There have been numerous times when RT has asked for feedback. Give it to them. Be respectful, concise and helpful. Assume positive intent.
Again, I love this place, and all I want to do is see it grow. Thanks for taking the time to read, and feel free to offer comments and suggestions you see as well.
TL;DR- How to increase activity on this site:
- Follow people.
- Check the Dashboard.
- Lurk in threads for a small bit, then jump in.
- Only the OCC general thread has requests for grammar and restraint on certain kinds of posting (but no restraints on the topics of said posts).
- Use your journals.
- Be nice.
- +1 like crazy.
- Meet up.
- Start using chat for real-time chat.
- Use twitter to leave post-it notes to members, but use this site to be more interactive.