Forums > FIRST Members

Community Health- How we can help

Posts (117)

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#33569682 - 7 months ago

If you have been following Roosterteeth for a long time, you are well aware of the changes and challenges that we've faced over the past few years.  It has been a huge topic of interest for us at the Oxford Comma Cafe, where we have...in all honesty, beat it like a dead horse.  It's been difficult as a forum community member to see the population stratify out to Twitter or Facebook or Reddit, and leaving the forums as a sort of ghost town.  Over the past few years the powers that be at Roosterteeth have had a roadmap and priorities that did not include a campaign to address the health of the RT.com forum community, and while I have my opinions on the correctness of that road map, I freely admit that I don't have the whole picture, and so while my opinions are strong, they are just that...opinions.

i feel like this trend has the possibility of turning around now, and I think this is the place to start. Yes, there are a lot of things that RT can do to assist us like giving us better Chat and Group structures, fixing the search, and making it easier to find, share, and PROMOTE user created content. Instead of waiting around for someone else to figure out how to invest in the community or how to bring people back here from the outermost reaches of the internet, I'm thinking that we The Community itself, take it on ourselves to be the change that we want to see.  I love this community, and I want to see RT.com be successful, healthy, and growing.  I've jotted down a few ideas, and I'd appreciate anyone else's commentary and engagement.  

1. Start discussions and invite people to start talking.  People can't interact if there is no purpose.  If you want to discuss something about RT, why not start a thread here on the site and then LINK it from other social media?  Try to get people to come here and socialize content, instead of taking to other places.

2. Join existing discussions.  There are tons of things going on around the forum.  Between the OCC and RT, there are dozens of other healthy threads with tens of thousands of responses and daily activity.  Make sure you are not only joining those, but encouraging others to come to the forums and participate.  This is something that I need to do better as I almost exclusively only participate in the OCC.  Traffic on the site will let the Powers that Be know that there is an interest here, and showing that interest can only help improve our situation.

3.  Write Journals and comment on other's status updates.  Again, this is all activity based.  I know that I READ tons of Journals, but I very rarely comment or mod.  Comment and mod...and encourage others to do the same.

4.  Give feedback.  There have been numerous times when RT has asked for feedback.  Give it to them.  Be respectful, concise and helpful.  Assume positive intent.

Again, I love this place, and all I want to do is see it grow.  Thanks for taking the time to read, and feel free to offer comments and suggestions you see as well.

TL;DR- How to increase activity on this site:

• Follow people.
    • Check the Dashboard.
    • Lurk in threads for a small bit, then jump in.
    • Only the OCC general thread has requests for grammar and restraint on certain kinds of posting (but no restraints on the topics of said posts).
    • Use your journals.
    • Be nice.
    • +1 like crazy.
    • Collaborate.
    • Meet up.
    • Start using chat for real-time chat.
    • Use twitter to leave post-it notes to members, but use this site to be more interactive.

• EricHVela

EricHVela FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Eric Hohoho! Vela

#33569690 - 7 months ago

If you follow certain people like Ashley, you can see whenever they start a new forum topic in your Dashboard feed, even for groups. This includes when they start a topic for a show. The feed can be your friend. (When they do a sweep of 스팸, the Everyone Feed is a great place to find new forum activity.)

New topics by people that you follow do not appear in your notifications, though. It's important to check your Dashboard feed.

Note: New forum topics currently do not appear in Popular Content, unfortunately.

Be aware that forum topics have two mods. There is the mod that shows in the feed and a separate mod that is specific to the activity in the thread. Right now, the feed mod has no effect on forum topics as they do not appear in Popular Content at all regardless, but if they start to include new forum threads in Popular Content, it will be important to use the right mod to prioritize them.

What I would change: Include forum threads in Popular Content. If it's possible, link the first post's mod to the feed mod instead of having two individual mods.

If possible, I would allow following of a group's forums for new posts. This is not something that the previous version of this site had, though. I saw some members request this feature several times in that version, too.

Also note: It is possible to be friends with someone and not follow them. If you want to get notifications and see them in your feed, you should make certain that you're following them even if you're friended. You also don't need to friend someone to follow them.

Note that there are multiple places to follow stuff. Be sure to use the +Follow button on their profile page to follow all of their activity (except photos, comments and forum replies). If you use the Follow button on a post, it'll only follow the comments in that specific post.

The site is confusing but usable once you understand its quirks. It currently takes a little more effort than trying to do the same things that one might find on other forums, but it still works.

• Izayer

Izayer FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Stories

#33569711 - 7 months ago

I think the more seasoned users can operate the site with ease. But it was a decaying community. The Follow button is a joy to use and is helpful. 

• Izayer

Izayer FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Stories

#33569727 - 7 months ago

Don't mean to double post but @caleb made a post about consolidating some forums and just trying to clean things up. 

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#33569730 - 7 months ago

In reply to Izayer

Yep, he actually linked this thread there. 

• Izayer

#33569755 - 7 months ago

In reply to Priest

You know what, I'm going to follow suit and try to bring more attention as possible to his post tonight. It something that everyone should read. 

• ArnettV

ArnettV FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Gif Addict

#33569764 - 7 months ago

I think a big part of it is that a new wave of members/fans are newer (mostly because of RWBY I'd say) and don't realize that the site is the main source for the community. Or at least that it was and should be still. Older members from before the site change are usually still lurking about in groups, posts, or forums, though still out on RT's social media as well.

Then you have those who are solely on other sites like YouTube or Facebook or Twitter because they don't know about the fact that there is a community thriving on the site still. 

I'm part of an RT regional group we have based on the site, but are forced to also have Facebook, Twitter, Discord, etc. Not that those are a bad thing to have, but we're constantly pushing people to use the RT site rather than Facebook chat because that's where our roots are! But for some reason it just doesn't seem to stick with some people and to me, that's quite sad.

• EricHVela

EricHVela FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Eric Hohoho! Vela

#33569767 - 7 months ago

In reply to ArnettV

I agree. When I arrived at the previous version of the site, there was enough exposure and promotion of the community that I eventually wandered over there out of compulsion. Here, there was almost nothing to point out there was more to the site. In my opinion, there are some RT folks making an effort to change that.

• Priest

#33569772 - 7 months ago

My vision for this thread is to provide the Community to assist other community members in learning methods of increasing activity on the site...not just providing RT with our feedback.  They have plenty of places to go for that, I want a place where we can help bring people in. 

• EricHVela

#33569774 - 7 months ago

In reply to Priest

• Follow people.
    • Check the Dashboard.
    • Lurk in threads for a small bit, then jump in.
    • Only the OCC general thread has requests for grammar and restraint on certain kinds of posting (but no restraints on the topics of said posts).
    • Use your journals.
    • Be nice.
    • +1 like crazy.
    • Collaborate.
    • Meet up.
    • Start using chat for real-time chat.
    • Use twitter to leave post-it notes to members, but use this site to be more interactive.

• Priest

#33569776 - 7 months ago

In reply to EricHVela

Can I move this list up to the top post?

• ArnettV

ArnettV FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Gif Addict

#33569777 - 7 months ago

I know a big ting that I do (which I think you posted above), was, to link back to posts, forums, etc from the site on social media. It only works some of the time, but every now and then people post/reply on the site rather than the social post.

• EricHVela

#33569779 - 7 months ago

In reply to Priest

Is that possible?

Also, those are just suggestions.

I should add that people might want to consider using their public journals. A couple of people fell off of my radar because they've turned all of their journals private even though the content of those journals didn't seem like things that people would want to keep in a closed circle. New people will never see them be active.

This wasn't an issue until they fixed the privacy functions. Before, you only would be unable to respond to private posts. Now, this is shutting out any new people (and following but not friended people). It's their privilege to do it, but I don't recommend it.

• EricHVela

#33570121 - 7 months ago

On an aside: This thread will not hit the Popular Content feed (unless they make a change to that filter in the next couple of days). You might want to post your compilation in a journal. +1s will push it up on the Popular Content. Otherwise, the people who will see this will only be your followers and those who are brave to try the forums and everyone feed again now that 스팸 is reasonably under control and who watch the OCC and the responses to Caleb's post. ... and I would consider that most of those people already know this.

• AgentWashingtub008

AgentWashingtub008 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Crackpot of Coffee

#33570237 - 7 months ago

Here to help

• Gorlin Goltz

Gorlin Goltz FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Santa Gorlin

#33570609 - 7 months ago

Also here. But as a relatively new active member, I feel that suggestions and outlines about how to be of better benefit to the community are a huge help. Although, @EricHVela is correct, this did not appear anywhere until I scrolled down into the forums. Which in unfortunate, because I feel like a lot of members, especially newbies, could use these pointers.

• Priest

#33570709 - 7 months ago

In reply to Darkskills

@caleb

This is a good suggestion.  If we get a solid text together that we could sticky to help people who are new to the site, could you create and sticky a thread?

• caleb

caleb FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Frisbee

#33570726 - 7 months ago

In reply to Priest

Sure, but we should make it as a new thread in First Stop

• Priest

#33570744 - 7 months ago

In reply to caleb

I completely agree with that. 

• Gorlin Goltz

Gorlin Goltz FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Santa Gorlin

#33570810 - 7 months ago

In reply to Priest

Great idea! Perhaps we could also find a way to put it in the 'featured threads' section of the forums as well. I know a lot of the featured ones for sponsors are largely unused and outdated, I'm just not entirely sure who controls that list. 

• EricHVela

#33572565 - 6 months ago

PS: Notifications are currently unreliable. New forum threads of followed users do not appear. Half of the episodes of shows that I follow never appear while half of those same shows do. If a user posts more than one journal since you've checked your notifications, it will only alert and link to one of the journals. The same will happen for shows that post multiple episodes between checking the notifications. For some unknown reason, the forum thread notifications can occasionally skip the first unread post (even if it's not a LoZelda* post).

Use your feeds for followed users' journals and their new forum threads. Check a prior post in a forum thread if you followed a notification link to it (especially if it's the first post on a forum thread page - a "LoZelda"* post). Check each RT channel for updates. The Everyone Feed also includes show episodes. (Mind the spam. It's more under control but still present.)

Given how this is a lifeline for many community members, I'm sure that this is being worked on.

PPS. (or is it PSS?) Newly created pages in a forum thread sometimes take a couple of minutes to show in the page numbers at the bottom of the page. If a forum thread page looks full and has been active, it's possible that there are new posts on a following page without a page number showing for it at the bottom of the page. If so, be sure to check back a little later (or if you're comfortable, edit the URL to go to the next page manually to check).

* A "LoZelda" post is a post that people make as a notification that a recent post that was made in one of the main forums was actually on the prior page but the forum is linking to the wrong page for it. This is not automatically generated. Forums for groups do not seem to have this issue.

• EricHVela

#33572571 - 6 months ago

PPPS: Watching Group forums is not yet a feature. You will need to check for yourself if a group you follow has a new forum thread. If you are followers and not members of groups, you can check on the groups more easily by going to the groups from your subscriptions. It's currently not always easy or intuitive on how to get to your subscriptions. I recommend bookmarking that page if you want to check on group forums.

Posts made to the group's main activity feed will appear in your notifications, but it has the same stipulations as journal posts from other members in that only one will appear in the notifications if there are multiple posts queued.

• Izayer

#33572590 - 6 months ago

In reply to EricHVela

Everything you just said is Front Page worthy. Do you mind taking what you said and make a post out of it. We all can up vote it to the top of the Popular Content so that everyone can see it.

• EricHVela

#33572598 - 6 months ago

In reply to Izayer

What I stated is very wordy. Someone (who didn't wake up with a splitting allergies-induced headache) needs to distill it and make a journal of it.

• AgentWashingtub008

AgentWashingtub008 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Crackpot of Coffee

#33572657 - 6 months ago

Hey guys, today's podcast features Burnie talking about a picture of his that I think is something long-time fans of Rooster Teeth would appreciate, but he also commented on how unsure he was of it getting out to the public and how difficult it was for him to publish it on the site as he would have wanted to.

I made a comment on the podcast that also addressed that but was mostly to express we want an open dialog about how things are going on the site for better or for worse as long as we know. 

I'm not asking for attention for myself, but I'd appreciate if you all would go look at the comment and the picture and maybe say your own piece too.  I unfortunately don't know of a way to link to that comment, but it's the big one early on in the comments section. The clip is 5-15 minutes in I think.