Forums > Technical

Internet is getting screwy.

Posts (26)

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10396603 - 10 years ago

Before replying, please keep in mind I spent time on google looking for common solutions to this problem. None of them worked.

I have a XP desktop and laptop, both having windows IE and mozilla firefox. I couldn't tell you what network card I have in both of my computers, but it's the only thing I can think of that is getting screwy here. A while ago, the internet in my room started not working. I tested this through two computers and verified the port in my room is not working. The port in the third room is working, however, so I carried a line into here and attached it to a router (which I know to work well). I am currently on this router's wireless internet, posting this, so I know it works. On my desktop, LAN cables and the wireless have not done anything.

Troubleshooting many things (resetting IE advanced settings, double checking things were unchecked, etc), I did the MS-DOS ping and traceroute tests, both of which confirmed I have a connection to the internet (verified by the connection icon in the toolbar itself - stating a "very good" connection). However, despite having all these things working, internet explorer and mozilla firefox both fail to bring up any pages.

I also deleted the temp files, history, etc etc etc. Nothing has seemed to work.

I have also run anti-spyware and anti-virus tools and have ruled those out as possibilities.

Any help will be appreciated.

• _UGotGlocked

_UGotGlocked

#10397127 - 10 years ago

Sorry, I couldn't tell you what's going on with it. My PC has done some pretty weird things like that though.Sorry I couldn't tell ya what's going wrong, but if I had to guess it would be that the information is getting corrupted somehow before it gets to you.

Or maybe it's just something silly like the internet hates you. Couldn't say. Good luck with your problem, even though it doesn't really seem to have effected you much seeing as you were able to get back on through the same connection just in a different room.

Post edited 7/18/08 7:04PM

• Irae

Irae

#10397901 - 10 years ago

Try uninstalling and re-installing the network card.
    Go to the device manager, right-click->uninstall, click yes, and reboot. Reinstall the drivers, and see if that helps.

• Nalin

Nalin

#10398935 - 10 years ago

If that fails, make sure you're getting a fresh ip. (It wasn't stated that you did this, so I'm making sure) cmd > ipconfig /release > ipconfig /renew. Make sure everything is set correctly. If that fails, give winsockfix a chance to take care of some stuff. If not, hijackthis! log and lets see what's going on.

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10399092 - 10 years ago

I am familiar with hijackthis. I can post that ASAP, but I'm trying reinstalling the wireless driver to see if that helps.

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10399131 - 10 years ago

Irae: your suggestion did not work. However, that could have very well been it, though it was not. Thank you for your suggestion.

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10399150 - 10 years ago

Nalin: I am trying your suggestion now. It did not work, thank you for it though. I am going to run hijack this now.

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10399396 - 10 years ago

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 12:22:32 AM, on 7/19/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin SvcIp.exe
    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin SvcLog.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin SvcAppFlt.exe
    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\InCD\InCD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi\DVDAudio\CTDVDDET.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\DLLML.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi\Volume Panel\VolPanel.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\CTHELPER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTXFIHLP.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CTXFISPI.EXE
    C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi\Entertainment Center\EAXLoadr.exe
    C:\Program Files\ASUS WiFi-AP Solo\RtWLan.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CADI\NotiMan.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Programs\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,First Home Page = go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54843
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG8\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\InCD\InCD.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeadAIM] rundll32.exe "C:\PROGRA~1\AIM95\\DeadAIM.ocm",ExportedCheckODLs
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDET] "C:\Program Files\Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi\DVDAudio\CTDVDDET.EXE"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RCSystem] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\DLLML.exe" RCSystem * -Startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioDrvEmulator] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\DLLML.exe" -1 AudioDrvEmulator "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\Audio Emulator\AudDrvEm.dll"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VolPanel] "C:\Program Files\Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi\Volume Panel\VolPanel.exe" /r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTxfiHlp] CTXFIHLP.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -silent
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools Lite] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe" -autorun
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: ASUS WiFi-AP Solo.lnk = ?
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F79

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10399402 - 10 years ago

O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nvappfilter.dll
    O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG8\avgpp.dll
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
    O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: ForceWare Intelligent Application Manager (IAM) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin SvcAppFlt.exe
    O23 - Service: Forceware Web Interface (ForcewareWebInterface) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe" -k runservice (file missing)
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
    O23 - Service: ForceWare IP service (nSvcIp) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin SvcIp.exe
    O23 - Service: ForceWare user log service (nSvcLog) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin SvcLog.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

• Nalin

Nalin

#10400220 - 10 years ago

Ok, there's the problem. You need to uninstall the NVIDIA network access manager. It's creating files in the winsock like I thought something was. If that doesn't work, you'll need to manually remove the:
    Hijack will probably not be able to do this so run a "regsvr32.exe /u %windir%\system32\nvappfilter.dll" and then delete that dll. Possibly renaming one as nvappfilter.old just in case something goes terribly wrong.

Let me know from there.

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10403107 - 10 years ago

In reply to Nalin, #10:

the NVIDIA network access manager is blocking the internet?

I'm not sure what you mean by "run a regsvr32.exe"...but I can rename nvappfilter and see what happens.

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10403149 - 10 years ago

I renamed nvappfilter.dll to nvappfilter.old and am currently restarting now.

I will let you all know the result.

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10403213 - 10 years ago

That did not work. In fact, it disallowed the wireless and LAN connections from "connecting" (despite the fact that nothing is being accomplished over these connections).

What else could it be?

• Nalin

Nalin

#10406259 - 10 years ago

It's showing as having several nvappfilters running at once. Are you sure there was only one instance of it there?

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10417019 - 10 years ago

I'm not sure, but there was only one file with that name or anything similar to it from what I could tell.

Do you think a new ethernet card might do the trick?

• KWierso

KWierso AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

#10417111 - 10 years ago

In reply to Lustmord, #15:

If you have a spare one laying around, it wouldn't hurt to try it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "run a regsvr32.exe"...but I can rename nvappfilter and see what happens.

I'm pretty sure you need to copy/paste that command into a command prompt.

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10417143 - 10 years ago

In reply to KWierso, #16:

In reply to Lustmord, #15:

If you have a spare one laying around, it wouldn't hurt to try it.

I don't; I would have to buy it, and money is an issue ATM, meaning I will probably wait to resolve this issue.

I'm pretty sure you need to copy/paste that command into a command prompt.

I don't believe so, but if that's what that means, I'll try that.

• Nalin

Nalin

#10420286 - 10 years ago

If you were able to rename the file, you won't need to run that, it's just to disassociate the dll with the system.

A new ethernet card should do the trick, but if money is seriously an issue right now, I'd say go ahead (and I feel so dirty saying this) go ahead and reformat the system. There's a lot of junk piling up in the background and it's going to keep causing issues. Looking at the hijack log again, I'm seeing issues with Java, the network of course...and something I didn't notice before.

Try removing Zone Alarm Sorry for the splash of red, but I needed to grab attention halfway through this post. ZoneAlarm is notorious for messing with the network and doesn't get along well with Nvidia's network products. Remove ZoneAlarm, see if it helps. If not, you've gotten rid of (imho) a rather annoying firewall.

Also, while you're at it. Remove anything in hijack this that says "(file missing)" or "file not found"

Post edited 7/21/08 9:16AM

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10423888 - 10 years ago

Zone Alarm definitely isn't it, I've had it installed for many years, and have never had a problem due to it. Also, I am not going to reformat my system for a handful of reasons.

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10423894 - 10 years ago

I'm also using Zone Alarm on this computer, and the internet works on it.

• Nalin

Nalin

#10432847 - 10 years ago

Zone Alarm might be having an issue below the surface on that particular computer that is causing it to block any incomming and outgoing traffic, thus producing the internet problem you're currently having. Try removing it. If you have a legal copy, the worst that can happen is you'll have to reinstall it later and you might just save yourself some money.

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10438212 - 10 years ago

In reply to Nalin, #21:

True. I will do this when I get off of work (I have to leave in like 5 mins, not enough time to start troubleshooting).

Plus acquiring the internet while at work wont help me out as I need the internet not my computer ; ) ; )

But that actually is a good reccomendation; the worst that will happen is I have to reset my ZA settings after reinstallation, and that happens whenever there's a new product version anyways. I'll definitely try it out when I get off of work.

• Nalin

Nalin

#10474471 - 10 years ago

Do we have an update on this yet?

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#10479859 - 10 years ago

I haven't gotten time to try that yet. I can do it later tonight (I'll leave this window up so I'll do it).

Will let you know.

Thanks for helping me out Nalin.

• Lustmord

Lustmord

#11461380 - 10 years ago

In reply to Nalin, #23:

Do we have an update on this yet?

I just now remembered this thread...

and yeah, you were right, it was zone alarm and once i disabled it the windows priority updates thing corrected it.

Had I listened to you earlier, I could have gotten my internet back working a while ago.

HOWEVER, as this was the solution to the problem, this was not the cause of it (or at least, the original cause of the lack of internet for me...as I believe chronologically speaking that before this had become an issue, I had internet access. Suddenly, one day, while I am on it, it stops. Everything is disconnected.)

The reason I know this is because I consequentially tried (through the same cable AND different ones) to connect to the internet on several machines.

I could even get another port within the apartment, it was clearly the one port that had an electrical issue. Furthermore, I had electricians come out and they also agreed there was an electrical problem, but that the landlord would not pay to fix it, so it still exists). Then, one day, someone comes in my room and gets on the port (that for WEEKS had not let anyone online with ANY cable, even though testing ping in msdos worked), and they get online like nothing. I was shocked.

The only reason I am explaining all of this is because I'm still clueless as to why this hadn't worked for several weeks, and would spontaneously not be a problem anymore.

I know I'm not just tripping out either, I have tried to fix this at least 3 to 6 times within at least 3 weeks to the whole month of June, or somewhere thereabouts. On top of this, I had friends who would come over with their own laptop and LAN cable...to no alas. This was in the same 3 week to 1 month period. And on top of this, my girlfriend watched me do all of this and also had tried vehemently to get online with no success.

The only other theory I might possibly have is that when I complained to my landlord, they fixed the problem (which originated outside of my room from a 3rd source) and that was fixed the night before someone came out and proved it had worked (spontaneously) for the first time in months, so as to be like "see you had internet all along" instead of the fact that I had not...I wouldn't put it past them, but it is unlikely that the landlord actually went out of their way to actually "do" or "accomplish" anything...

on top of this I was not using (at the time a few months ago) a surge protector, but now have one in place.

If there's any more info, questions, theories, etc., as to why this was, please let me know.