Forum
Filter     |   View Watchlist
[ Print Friendly ] [ Watch Thread ]

dark54555 Site Admin
RULESYour moderator for this forum is: Dark54555, but any of us can help you with any problems you might have.

This is going to be much simpler than it was:

1. Read the Rules and The FAQs and Help Thread.

2. Before making a thread, there is now no excuse to not look through the forum for a thread on that game. LOOK BEFORE YOU MAKE A THREAD.

3. No Favorites, Vs., comparison, or any threads like that.

4. No 1337-speak or internet shorthand, and spell check your post.

5. DO NOT CREATE THREADS JUST TO TROLL.

6. DO NOT POST JUST TO FLAME. For now I will not use the warning system, because I trust you can behave. Prove me wrong and we go to the warning system.

7. Do not create threads to hand out mod points.

AND ABSOLUTELY NO TALK OF EMULATORS OR OTHER ILLEGAL STUFF RELATING TO CLASSIC GAMES. I WILL SEND THE LAWYERS TO YOUR DOOR IF YOU MAKE A THREAD OF THAT NATURE
#1  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 6 Cool
17 REPLIES Watch  |  Sort by Likes · Date
Mike Site Admin
In reply to dark54555, #1:

OK
#2  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Ditto
zack Forum Mod

8. Do not reply to this thread.

crap.
#3  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Funny
daddylol

Uh, DS vs PSP should be allowed.
#4  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  - 7 Noob
zack Forum Mod
In reply to daddylol, #4:

Post in their respective threads saying you like this one, or you like that one.

Angry people aren't nice.
#5  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
honest_owen

would homebrew software be considered illegal?
#6  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
dark54555 Site Admin
In reply to honest_owen, #6:

writing your own stuff is legal. Emulators and more specifically downloading ROMs of old games are illegal.
#7  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
HiddenNinja Sponsor
In reply to dark54555, #7:

I bow to you, Dark54555. Your rules interest me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter
#8  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
amedeus

Oh cool, they did do a classics forum. Good thing I brought up the idea, or we wouldn't have one. Okay, maybe we would, but I like to feed my ego.

Anyways, it may be simpler, but my stabbing punishments still apply to these laws. Break 'em, and prepare for a faceful of stab.
#9  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Blue_Sonic
In reply to dark54555, #7:

In reply to honest_owen, #6:

writing your own stuff is legal. Emulators and more specifically downloading ROMs of old games are illegal.

ROMS and emulators are not entirely illegal, because if you own the game of the ROM you downloaded, but you can't play that game on the console, then the ROM is legal...
#10  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
dark54555 Site Admin
In reply to Blue_Sonic, #10:

empulators are not legal.

don't argue, I am in law school and got an A in copyright. Any downloaded ROMs are copyright violations.
#11  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 3 Zing!
Shike
In reply to dark54555, #11:
In reply to Blue_Sonic, #10:

empulators are not legal.

don't argue, I am in law school and got an A in copyright. Any downloaded ROMs are copyright violations.

Is it me, or didn't the US rule a year or so ago that since Nintendo no longer provided certain games that those Roms are legal assuming you own them? I remember it was all over the web and people went on DL frezzies until it was clarrified....

As for emulators being illegal, please do enlighten as it's only if you're using the systems BIOS to run it if I'm not mistaken (like most PS emulators today).
#12  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
dark54555 Site Admin
In reply to Shike, #12:

it's a hoax that spread on the web.
#13  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
dark54555 Site Admin
In reply to Shike, #12:

This should clear up any questions anyone has.

All of the information therein is legally accurate.
#14  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Shike
In reply to dark54555, #13:
In reply to Shike, #12:

it's a hoax that spread on the web.

Alright, so that explains why I can't find it anymore and why I thought I was going crazy.....

As for legality I guess you're right, but when it comes to ethics even though roms ruin collectability if you do DL only when you have the cartridge I can't see it hurting anyone. Guess it's my very speculative view...

Although, one thing I know for sure is a lot of "emulators" aren't illegal. In fact the Supreme Court swatted Nintendo a couple times for trying to go after emulator authors. The only time they really got nailed is when based on Bios (which as long as they weren't distributed with them couldn't be tagged either).
#15  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
sheeeillaaa
In reply to Shike, #15:

the thing about being allowed to download emulators only if you have the cartridge is true
#16  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
dark54555 Site Admin
it's illegal even if you own the cartridge. you have to extract it from the cartridge yourself, otherwise you're still illegally trafficing in copyrighted material.

Please quit being stupid about this.
#17  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Please sign in or sign up to post a comment.