Forum
Filter     |   View Watchlist
[ Print Friendly ] [ Watch Thread ]

deadchurch18
The Official Linux ThreadThis thread is for all Linux users. (even though there are not many). Here talk about all stuff about Linux. Post links for downloads and upgrades. And just talk about how it is better then windows because it barely has any viruses. And post anything else here that has to do with linux.
#1  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 3 Cool
3,467 REPLIES Watch  |  Sort by Likes · Date
dark_hunter
Is their a video editing program for Linux? I was meaning to ask this for awhile.
#2  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
killertarget
and also Mac OS X is based off of Unix which linux has roots to.

What versions of linux to you use? I have tried redhat, fedora, solaris, mandrake and a few smaller ones i think.
#3  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
G_sus
In reply to dark_hunter, #2:

Theres a few, such as avidemux and LVE. I havent gotten to try either, i dont have a functioning digital camcorder.
#4  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
lunacite
Gentoo.
#5  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  - 1 Noob
lrdofdaspon
I have Fedora Core 2, its not to bad but i dont need to use it much because of xp. Theres a still a dual boot for it tho.
#6  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
00_Donut
I use Red Hat 9 - Because it is easy to configure to my hardware and also one of the first distros that i learned to use, well the version i started with was Rh7.1, but still!
And also dual booting winXP
#7  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Grovesy
In reply to killertarget, #3:

call be dumb by all means, but isn't Solaris, Sun's Unix?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:Solaris

definition :

Solaris is a multitasking, multiprocessing operating system and distributed computing environment for Sun's SPARC computers from SunSoft. It provides an enterprise-wide UNIX environment that can manage up to 40,000 nodes from one central station. Solaris is known for its robustness and scalability, which is expected in UNIX-based SMP systems. An x86 version of Solaris is available that can also run applications written for Sun's Interactive UNIX.
#8  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Artmageddon
Grovesy: There are many different versions of Unix, for instance, Sun as their own, "Solaris". IBM has a version of their own, called AIX(I think?). But there's many different versions of it. They don't "own Unix" though, just their distribution of it.
#9  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Artmageddon
Blah, I just repeated myself....sorry, too early in the morning...

I need to GBTW :)
#10  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
G_sus
I use Arch Linux. Its easy to configure (if you dont mind editing text files), fast, and extremely customizable. The install cd is only a base installation of packges needed to run the system and you choose everything else that gets installed. Its also got its own package manager, Pacman. The repositories may not be up to Debian size yet, but they grow every day and have lots of packages that arent in the Debian official repos, like DVDlibs, flash, and java. Find it here
#11  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Rental01 irgrammerwin
Didn't we have one of these stickied? We should.
#12  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
WindowsRules
I use Mandrake Linux and have also got Fedora Core 3 and Knoppix but I lean mainly towards Mandrake Linux simply because I find it easier to use because I have been using it the longest, I have a server based on Mandrake Linux and my firewall which has died ran IPCOP.

But my main theme at the moment is running PHPNuke on a MySQL server, which is kinda fun, but I was wondering, does anybody on this thread know how to run multiple websites off of one machine? I have been told it can be done, but the one person I know who can tell me is on holiday.
#13  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Rental01 irgrammerwin
I love Mandrake or whatever its called now.
#14  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
WindowsRules
In reply to Rental01, #14:

Mandriva - yes I think it is also fantastic and so versatile, it will play Unreal Tournament 2004 without much trouble, where as my friends machine crashes constantly with it, he is running XP, hence why it BSOD's so often.
#15  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
midas
Redhat 9 & Knoppix
#16  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Rental01 irgrammerwin
I want to get a copy to play with. :)
#17  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
lrdofdaspon
Knoppix has saved my PC countless times.
Whenever I mess around and fuck up my computer, I fix it in knoppix because that works no matter what, as it is run off a disc.(although ive heard you can install it)
#18  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Grovesy
In reply to Artmageddon, #9:

err. yeh, that's why I said 'isn't Solaris, Sun's Unix',... Ok, I missed out one qualifer which was 'isn't Solaris one of Sun's Unix distros' (Sunsoft I belive have several versions of unix)

On that note, who does 'own' the licencing, is it Still AT&T?
#19  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
uber_chaos
Mac OS X is more or less a linux kernal...as it IS UNIX based. But as OFFICIAL linux, I use Knoppix.
#20  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
iambensiemon
Anyone ever messed with Gentoo? It is pretty cool.
#21  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
WindowsRules
In reply to Falcon4, #20:

Probably, but Linux doesn't BSOD - it does a core dump, (Linux crashing is RARE) which is much faster than completely rebooting the machine, which is what you have to do often when it BSODS.
#22  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
ToolPackinMa
I dual-boot SuSE and WinXP, but I must admit that I have two complaints about Linux: Hardware support still pretty much isn't 100%. and I still think that clicking on an executable should simply launch an installer.
#23  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
midas
oh I also use xDSL, and i DLed a copy of Xebian but never used it.
#24  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
chris_harry
In reply to ToolPackinMa, #25:

um... i'm using knoppix, and its hardware support is cool... the only thing it can't pick up is me printer, but i really havent tried that much to tell you the truth.

it picks up most hardware better then windows in some cases (i'm reffering this to the graphics card, and mother board, and me chip)...

knoppix is debian based... its a great live cd... :D:D but i did a harddrive install... alot faster on harddrive, and right now, its 6 times faster then windows, i log in in 30 seconds (unlike windows which takes 5 minutes due to all the crap its got off the internet)...

well, thats me two cents...... :D:D
#25  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
ToolPackinMa
In reply to chris_harry, #27:

Somehow I just knew somebody would say something like that. :::roll eyes::
#26  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
WindowsRules
In reply to ToolPackinMa, #28:

Like I said, I have Mandrake Linux and have dual booted my Toshiba laptop and it got ALL the hardware straight away, right down to the bluetooth driver, no problems what so ever and that also runs way faster than Windows XP.
Where as Windows XP has to have 200MB worth of drivers installed just to run everything!
#27  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
lunacite
In reply to Falcon4, #31:
I know how to tweak the hell out of XP, I also know how to tweak the hell out of my gentoo x86-64 distro, and having software optimized for your hardware is infinitely better than slowass universal solutions. Drivers are no problem if you're not an idiot, and games are more and more getting released with linux versions.

Your statement "Linux can't do crap" is absolutely unfounded. Just because you're too stupid to use something doesn't mean that it doesn't work. I was happier when you were banned.
#28  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
chris_harry
i think nowadays, the main distos have no problem with hardware detection... i dont know what everyone is complaining about???
#29  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
WindowsRules
In reply to chris_harry, #34:

neither do I
#30  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
[ 1 ] [ 2 ] ... [ 115 ] [ 116 ] [ Next ]
Please sign in or sign up to post a comment.