Forum
Filter     |   View Watchlist
[ Print Friendly ] [ Watch Thread ]

dark54555 Site Admin
The One and Only Antivirus/Spyware TopicFor discussion of new threats and removal software. This will make more sense once the new rules go up.

---------

FOLLOW THESE STEPS BEFORE ASKING FOR VIRUS/SPYWARE HELP:

1. Disable System Restore: Right click My Computer, choose Properties, click the System Restore tab, check the box that says "Disable system restore", and click OK.
2. Update and run whatever antivirus product you have installed. If you don't have one, we highly recommend downloading AVG Antivirus.
3. Download, update and run these one at a time: AVG Antispyware, Spybot S&D, and AdAware.
4. Download and run HijackThis, run it but DON'T "Fix" anything - save a log and upload it here. Include in your post that you followed these steps, and then post a link to the log you just uploaded.
#1  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
854 REPLIES Watch  |  Sort by Likes · Date
masterelite
Norton keeps telling me that I am not protected against two rapidly spreading threats. I don't know what they are. Also, I hate Norton so I ended up removing the program. I use a different anti-spyware and virus protection software.
#2  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
TKdademon
new rules? you mean new forum rules or something?
#3  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
FerrariMaste
Speaking of this, I need to renew my Norton Antivirus this month.
#4  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
masterelite
Norton sucks. Don't renew it and get other spyware and virus protection. Norton will not delete my viruses that it found. So, it sucks.
#5  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
TKdademon
Yeah, Norton doesn't let me play Halo PC online. I have to shut off worm protection to play it. *should not be telling everyone this* Halo is on every safe-list I could find, along with every program REMOTELY related to Halo.

Damn Norton.
#6  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
melaflander
let's get this started...
I use all of these
CCleaner
Cleans like you have never cleaned before
Spybot Seach and Destroy
^Well worked/trusted
Microsoft Anti-Spy
Finds big shit, also doubles as a simple firewall add on
Ad-Aware SE 1.06
^ad-aware, can't live with out it.
AVG (direct link -.exe-)
^AVG continually updates, and is a great anti virus
Spyware Blaster
^hasn't detected anything on my computer, due to the fact that i have everything else on it. Manual updates though
Reg Scrub XP
^works wonders on cleaning up your registry

There is my protection suite, cost = $0.00! I haven't had a virus yet! These are all recommended by PCworld, PCmag, and THG.
#7  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 9 Cool
masterelite
Ditch Norton. I use AVG, Ad-Aware, and Spybot. I ditched Norton. Don't mind my last post saying that I have it. That occured before I ditched it.
#8  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
sadgoat
webroot spysweeper and norton is all i have with these 2 i havn't had a virus in 2 1/2 years
#9  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
darkstitch
Anyone know whats good to get rid of the Pokapoka70.exe virus? I got it from AIM, and I deleted most of its registry keys, but its still haunting me. >:|

I did a google search on it already, and I tried Regrun, but it didnt work.
#10  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Alsace WWWWWWWWWWWW
In reply to melaflander, #7:

Spyware blaster doesn't scan, it just protects.
#11  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Alsace WWWWWWWWWWWW
In reply to darkstitch, #10:

Your best bet is to go into find the files that are responsible for it (I honestly don't remember what they are). I think they're in the C:\windows\system32 folder.

Boot into safe mode with command prompt and delete the files. That should take care of it - it worked for me before.
#12  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Mav3481
One of the best places to get programs
They have

CWS Shredder (needed if Ad-aware and Spyboy cant get rid of it)
Hi-Jack This! (have an expert help with this)
Startup List (havent tried but looks amazingly awesome)
#13  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
TheSwmnCello
In reply to darkstitch, #10:

Some viruses and spyware also use System Restore to come back after you remove them, so if you're still having trouble, disable System Restore before you get rid of it.
#14  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Rental01 irgrammerwin
In reply to Mav3481, #13:

Agreed.

I use PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 but only because I buy via volume license for my house. With 5 computers it just makes sense. It used to be 5 licenses for $39.95 but it's back down to 3. Bah - stupid economics.
#15  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
comrade693
I'd just like to point out to those of you who keep saying "Norton sucks, get XYZ" that you aren't helping. Please go away, or contribute.

With that being said, has anyone tried the MS thing that is still in beta? Is it any good?
#16  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Rental01 irgrammerwin
I have and I liked it. It was originally Giant Spyware but M$ bought them and rebadged it. So far I understand that everything is still bone stock on it aside from the images and it works pretty darn well.
#17  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
melaflander
In reply to comrade693, #16:

it's good, to pick up big shit. I have had it pick up trojan dialers/virus downloaders from customers computers. It also doubles as a simple firewall, telling you when a site wants to change your homepage, run something in the startup, or change regestry keys. Quite nice, actually.
Yes it is still in beta, my opinion is that microsoft doesn't want to deal with it's issues (hey, this crashed my computer, or something like that) yet. Also, a downside is that you have to re download it every 6 months due to the licence agreement
#18  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Alsace WWWWWWWWWWWW
In reply to comrade693, #16:

I've found it to be quite solid actually. It's the only one that got rid of Nail.exe for quite a while. I'm still not sure if the others will.
#19  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
blueproject
spybot search and destroy seems to be the only one that catches everything... plus very easy to use.

as for anti virus, I've actually found Norton to be the best. it is updated the most so you can't complain. as for it not letting you play halo. then simply adjust your protection settings. add norton into your "trusted software" list.
#20  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
troyBORG
In reply to dark54555, #1:

Since you have to be so weird about rules and crap......

I already have norton Internet security installed and I like it. I was wondering do you think I should just renew my subscirption.
Or do you think 2006 changed that much that I should upgrade?

Many of you know how annoying installing norton is when it doesn't work sometimes with winXP SP2!

Thanks for input.

I don't think anyone will answer it in here. Who is gonna look in here for a question from someone???????
#21  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  - 1 WTF
troyBORG
the people at gamefaqs are nicer then you guys about helping someone!!!
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=2000111&topic=24087683
From: troyr23 | Posted: 10/16/2005 11:57:14 AM | Message Detail
I already have norton Internet security installed and I like it. I was wondering do you think I should just renew my subscirption.
Or do you think 2006 changed that much that I should upgrade?

Many of you know how annoying installing norton is when it doesn't work sometimes with winXP SP2!

Thanks for input.

From: MAGGOT 624 | Posted: 10/16/2005 12:30:23 PM | Message Detail
I recommend renewing the subscription. Un-installing Norton can sometimes be a pain, depending on which version you have installed. Besides renewing is cheaper than paying for a new program.

Of course it depends on if the new version has any real enhancements like spy ware / ad ware monitoring and removal. Is the new version going to use more resources than current version?

From: dragonius17 | Posted: 10/16/2005 12:35:41 PM | Message Detail
The couple people that I encountered with it so far...said '06 uses even more resources...it might be better to simply renew yours. If you can, renew it for 3-6 months, that should give Symantec enough time to fix their Norton '06 issues and then you could upgrade if you felt the need to.

I know there is a Norton '05 version with antispyware protection, not sure if it's built-in to the '06 though.
#22  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  - 1 WTF
comrade693
In reply to troyBORG, #22:

hey...if you're gonna complain, leave. We don't need you here. We have a system in place because too many people asked questions that were similar or duplicates. That, and people like you would bitch about those of us who complained that you were not following the rules.

We now have a system that has brought a lot of veteran back in because it is worth our while. We aren't best buy. We aren't getting paid to help you, so don't expect superb customer service.
#23  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Alsace WWWWWWWWWWWW
In reply to troyBORG, #22:

Less whining, more not whining.
#24  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
007bond
Spyware Doctor is a good program
But you need to pay to make it actually remove spyware.
There is a way to get a serial key for it, but I can't post it here or I'll get banned
PM me if you wanna know
#25  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
melaflander
i just downloaded CWshedder to my "CD". My "CD" is basically a file on my computer full of antivirus .exes so i can set them up on my computer.

Let's throw these into the pot
Panda Active Scan
^very good, hey for free it is. I do it once a month usually.
Spyware Active Scan
^just found this, i haven't opened it yet.
#26  Posted 9 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Trubo
At my school, we are required to have an updated version of our anti-virus to use the internet. I currently use AVG Free and it's never bothered me before but today i am getting some error that says "Cisco Clean Agent could not detect virus definition date for Grisoft AV". does anyone

1) know how to fix this?
2) know of another reliable anti-virus i can download that is free?

(the thing my school uses to check if our anti-virus/OS is updated is Cisco Clean Access in case you wanted to know)
#27  Posted 8 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
comrade693
In reply to Trubo, #27:

If your school checks to make sure your virus definitions are up to date, they should provide you with free virus protection too. My school gives us McAfee Enterprise Edition, so your school might do something similar.
#28  Posted 8 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
TheSwmnCello
Here's an article (pcworld.com) that compares 4 free antivirus programs and provides links to each one. All of them have passed various tests and should be reliable.
#29  Posted 8 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Trubo
In reply to comrade693, #28:

yeah, i just checked it and it seems that it's working now. last time i downloaded theur McAfee, it wouldn't work for some reason
#30  Posted 8 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
[ 1 ] [ 2 ] ... [ 28 ] [ 29 ] [ Next ]
Please sign in or sign up to post a comment.