Forum
Filter     |   View Watchlist
[ Print Friendly ] [ Watch Thread ]

cunfuzzled
Gay MarriageThere were two topics pertaining to gay rights in the past. One had a last post from a year ago. The second was about 6 months ago. I think they qualify as "dead" by now.

So here we are. Should gay marriage be legalized? Why or why not? Should gays get any other rights? Is there really a tr...
#1  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
4,788 REPLIES Watch  |  Sort by Likes · Date
ChaosAD
In reply to 1984, #2790:

True, but it's nice to see allies on both sides of the "aisle" now.
#2,791  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
UlfvarrOT
In reply to cunfuzzled, #1:

Religiously, I think that gay people have the same rights as straight people. I don't care if they get married or not. I believe in God, and I believe that marriage is a sacred and holy bond between a man and a woman, but that doesn't mean that I can infringe on the rights of other people who may or may not believe in God. It's not my place to say no, I don't have that right.
Politically, we as a people have a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Banning gay marriage infringes on all three of those rights. Banning it means that the gays cannot live their life the way that straights can. It infringes on their liberty, because they are people too, and obviously it infringes on them being happy.
Why should a man and a woman have a right to be married and miserable, but two men or two women have no right to marry and be happy?
On the sexual side, what people do behind closed doors in none of our business, plain and simple.
#2,792  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
pal_sch
A pretty nifty little info graphic.

I hope they develop this into a version that shows changes over time and then update it each year. Give it a decade and you can watch the rainbow fill out.
#2,793  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
In reply to ChaosAD, #2791:

What aisle though? The conservative-liberal one, or the secular-religious one?
#2,794  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
ChaosAD
In reply to 1984, #2794:

Secular vs religious. For the most part, the gay marriage issue has been primarily based on emotional/religious beliefs, as most of the political ones sort of deflect, either through saying it's up to states to decide, or this or that. For the most part, however, the church has had no shortage of direct opinion on the matter -- what I like about the video is that that church in particular is calling out the media on oversimplification of the issue, trying to scrounge up strong rhetoric based on emotion, when really, the issue is constitutionality vs. control.
#2,795  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Marksman_91 Sponsor
In reply to KWierso, #2796:

What's worse is that all of this is pretty much a complete waste of time and taxpayers' money. Prop. 8 was overturned in California for its unconstitutionality, what's to say it won't be the same for Amendment 1?
#2,797  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Chewey_Delt Homoerotic
In reply to Marksman_91, #2797:

Prop. 8 is still in court, actually. The two cases are also quite different. Prop. 8 involved a situation in which the state had previously provided equal marriage rights, only banning those rights after the fact. This was cited in the decision by the 9th Circuit to overturn Prop. 8. In NC, however, those rights were never provided to gay couples, so it's not at all the same situation. It's also not certain that the 9th Circuit's decision on Prop. 8 will stand.
#2,798  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Chewey_Delt Homoerotic
Obama Says Same-Sex Marriage Should Be Legal

#2,799  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 11 Cool
pal_sch
In reply to Chewey_Delt, #2799:

Video and transcript.
"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married,"
This on the heels of Biden's less committal but still largely supportive statement

This site is collecting responses as they come in.

Post edited 5/09/12 3:12PM
#2,800  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 3 Cool
S1apSh0es
In reply to Chewey_Delt, #2799:

In reply to pal_sch, #2800:

Jesus Christ, I hope this doesn't turn into 2004 all over again.

Kudos for him taking a stand, but this is just more reason for the batshit ignorant right wing to flock to the booths in droves come November.
#2,801  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  - 1 Flamebait
Bobomcgraw Bah Humbug
In reply to S1apSh0es, #2801:

Tolerance, equality, fairness?
Fuck that!
#2,802  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
pal_sch
Shep Smith says Republicans are on the wrong side of history.

Anyone would think he'd forgotten he was on Fox news.
#2,803  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 4 Cool
Chi_Mangetsu EmEffin TRex
In reply to pal_sch, #2803:

The man is a honey badger.
#2,804  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 3 Zing!
procrastin8r
I will paraphrase Washington governor Christine Gregoire

"Some say domestic partnerships are the same as marriage. Thats a version of the discriminatory, separate but equal argument of the past"

Honestly this is probably the most damning argument for gay marriage. It boils it down to a pure issue of civil and human rights, something that anyone would be hard pressed to support the arguments against it when it only shows parallels between those who stood against women's suffrage, the sexual revolution and the civil rights movement
#2,806  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
KWierso Sponsor
In reply to procrastin8r, #2806:
those who stood against women's suffrage, the sexual revolution and the civil rights movement
Welcome to the 2012 GOP.

Post edited 5/09/12 4:49PM
#2,807  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 6 Zing!
Izzi Sponsor
In reply to KWierso, #2796:

The Last Time North Carolina Amended Their Constitution On Marriage
#2,808  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
#2,809  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 12 Funny
pal_sch
Ouch.
So congratulations, North Carolina. Last night, you struck a decisive blow for loneliness. And tonight, as you go to sleep beside your heterosexual life mate, you can rest assured that all across your great state, a gay man or lesbian woman is crying themselves to sleep in solitude and making your relationship stronger with each tear.
STEPHEN COLBERT
#2,810  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 10 Cool
Pretty sure it's been posted here, but fuck it.

#2,811  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 6 Zing!
ChaosAD
In reply to Chi_Mangetsu, #2811:

Every time gay marriage gets defeated through the court system, I always think to myself, "Take that, freedom!"
#2,812  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Izzi Sponsor
In reply to ChaosAD, #2812:

I always feel ashamed to live in this time because they'll look back at us in history and think we were all backwards, just like we look at our grandparents with the civil rights movement.
#2,813  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
HeadlessMarv
In reply to Chi_Mangetsu, #2811:

Reddit?
#2,814  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
SloeBombFizz
In reply to Izzi, #2813:

Just flip that view around.
Remember that there were people during Jim Crow and during Slavery who knew exactly what was wrong (plenty of people) and it wasn't about how people "in that time" thought it was OK. It's about specific people being very wrong. And the struggle to get it fixed.
#2,815  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
Izzi Sponsor
In reply to HeadlessMarv, #2814:

If it's on the internet, the answer is most likely yes.
#2,816  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
In reply to HeadlessMarv, #2814:

James Gunn.
#2,817  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Bobomcgraw Bah Humbug
#2,818  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 3 Cool
Chewey_Delt Homoerotic
In reply to Bobomcgraw, #2818:

I really don't care what Chris Evans says. I just want him to be gay.
#2,819  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 7 Funny
JohnMatt
In reply to Bobomcgraw, #2818:

Not to be a downer, but people said that ten years ago, too.

I think there will be a time where that's true, but it's more than 10 years out.
#2,820  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Ditto
[ Previous ] [ 1 ] [ 2 ] ... [ 93 ] [ 94 ] [ 95 ] ... [ 159 ] [ 160 ] [ Next ]
Please sign in or sign up to post a comment.