Forum
Filter     |   View Watchlist
[ Print Friendly ] [ Watch Thread ]

datalaughing Forum Mod
Comic Book Movies IV: Here be Precisely One DragonWelcome to the fourth incarnation of the Comic Book Movies thread.

If you're interested, here are links to the previous threads:
Comic Book Movies
Comic Book Movies 2: The Sequel
and Son of Comic Book Movie Thread!

Now, read the rules:
Rule #1: Don't talk about fight club.
Rule #2: Have...
#1  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 93 Cool
199,085 REPLIES Watch  |  Sort by Likes · Date
MoreLikePuma
In reply to CapDac, #161414:
In reply to MoreLikePuma, #161412:

What is this I do0n't even

tl;dr version.

Hollywood: We know what you like, we're just not going to give you what you like until it's on DVD.

Audience: We don't have to watch it in theaters then.

Hollywood: U mad bro?

Audience: Yes. We don't have to give you money for something we don't want.

Hollywood: We'll give you what you want! Geeze was only jokin' bro. You're the one being difficult and not paying for something twice.

#161,341  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 3 Funny
RaginAsian
In reply to MoreLikePuma, #161418:

Makes me wonder if we can make that last bit happen for TMNT.
#161,342  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
CapDac DidNotPay
In reply to MoreLikePuma, #161418:

I like you, crazy northern man
#161,343  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
MoreLikePuma
In reply to CapDac, #161416:

Both endings sucked. Hell the movie itself wasn't too great.
#161,344  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
MoreLikePuma
Speaking of sucky endings, haven't beaten Mass Effect 3 yet, and still redoing my Mass Effect 2 run through to import to 3, I feel the need to point out Bioware's GM commenting on the matter and am going to point out a few choice phrases:
So, its incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the games endings were not up to their expectations. Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility.

Later in the same post:
On one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded; we care about this feedback, and were planning to directly address it. However, most folks appear to agree that the game as a whole is exceptional, with more than 75 critics giving it a perfect review score and a review average in the mid-90s. Net, Im proud of the team, but we can and must always strive to do better.

Makes one last, "Come on, cut me some slack jack" line.
Were committed to address your constructive feedback as best we can. In return, Id ask that you help us do that by supporting what I truly believe is the best game BioWare has yet crafted. I urge you to do your own research: play the game, finish it and tell us what you think. Tell your friends if you feel its a good game as a whole. Trust that we are doing our damndest, as always, to address your feedback.

Main point of the post:

Don't want to say you're wrong and game reviewers love the game... but you're wrong and game reviewers love the game. We're artists, so we know what's best. We're listening. We don't agree with you, but we want you to know we're at least listening. Thanks for the money.

You stay classy Bioware.
#161,345  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
KWierso Sponsor
In reply to RaginAsian, #161419:

Wondering if Bay is floating the "turtles are aliens, lol" bit now so that when the movie comes out and the turtles are NOT aliens, we're more willing to overlook other parts of the storyline that they've fucked over.
#161,346  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Zing!
MoreLikePuma
In reply to KWierso, #161423:

When Bay says something, no matter how stupid it is, it gets done. That's kinda why the studios love him. No matter what shitty idea they or he has, he'll throw it in there and he gets away with it because his movies make billions of dollars.

At this point, why does he care if he pisses off fans of anything, he's allowed to do whatever he wants.
#161,347  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
ChipperHalf Sponsor
If the Blood and Chrome trailer was a man, I would have dirty sex with it. I'm just saying.
#161,348  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 5 Funny
Chi_Mangetsu EmEffin TRex
m.ign.com/articles/1221273

Huh. This one seems to have a different tone completely.
#161,349  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
ChipperHalf Sponsor
In reply to CapDac, #161416:

I don't think it worked at all. I hated their "new" ending.

In reply to WendyDarling, #161415:

Yeah I think that even if the players didn't enjoy the ending, it was the ending they chose to write and make and therefore it's the ending people have to live with.
#161,350  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
Raynos
In reply to ChipperHalf, #161425:

Now I'm curious. Do we have a link?
#161,351  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
ChipperHalf Sponsor
In reply to Raynos, #161428:

Yup it's right here.
#161,352  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
Raynos
In reply to ChipperHalf, #161429:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to side with you, except if it was a guy I'd buy him a bottle of 100 year old Scotch.
#161,353  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Funny
Juicebox777 I AM GROOT
In reply to ChipperHalf, #161429:

All I could think about the first time watching that was "I wonder how they got permission to use that song"....

Then I watched it again to really watch the trailer. Looks awesome.

Although I really hate the fact that they used that song and the same editing style from the Dragon Tattoo trailer. It's a bit cheap.

Post edited 3/21/12 12:54PM
#161,354  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
ChipperHalf Sponsor
In reply to Juicebox777, #161431:

Fair note there about the editing style and song, but I love it to death anyway. YAY B&C!
#161,355  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
Juicebox777 I AM GROOT
In reply to ChipperHalf, #161432:

The clips look awesome, I agree with that. You just think they would take the time to come up with a more original way of promoting the show. I guess that's asking a bit much though...
#161,356  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Raynos
In reply to Juicebox777, #161433:

Dude, its Sites coming up with what looks like a quality new show! They haven't done this in a long time, cut them a little slack.
#161,357  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
DoNothing69
In reply to ChipperHalf, #161425:
If the Blood and Chrome trailer was a man, I would have dirty sex with it. I'm just saying.

You've truly become one of us.

Get some:

#161,358  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 3 Funny
Raynos
In reply to Raynos, #161434:

I just now noticed my Kindle decided to autocorrect my mockery of SyFy, it was supposed to read Sifee.
#161,359  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Juicebox777 I AM GROOT
In reply to Raynos, #161436:

Was a bit confused by that. I like the footage on the trailer, and I'm glad they're making a show that looks worth watching. I just had problems with the music choice.
#161,360  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Foolsfolly
In reply to Nixorbo, #161048:
... Why is buying a round for Alliance marines a renegade action?

There's a dying quarian on one mission. During your conversation with him you get the option to tell him to stay still or ask where the missing admiral is. Asking for a sit-rep gets you Renegade points which makes me scratch my head.

So there's a few weird "Why is this action Renegade?"

In reply to exitnine, #161085:
In reply to all Mass Effect(ers):

You all are starting to sound like us LOST fans.

In a conversation with Puma about the ending I actually blamed Lost for the ending. Ever since that damn show people have thought ambiguity and intrigue are more important than plot and character development. So when a trilogy reaches its climax and introduces big new ideas at the last minute that it cannot answer... it isn't making the experience richer. It's just stealing from the denouncement.

And ME3 is a very poor denouncement for the series. We have no idea what happened to literally anyone you care about.

In reply to Chi_Mangetsu, #161090:
In reply to ren19, #161088:

Hell, they killed Emily Wong . Offscreen. On Twitter.

They aren't to be trusted. Hell, they could be indoctrinated themselves.

Now what happened to my tin foil--I mean my helmet of mind shielding?

Kal'Reegar.

Killed in an e-mail.

Killed. In. An. E-mail. OFF SCREEN.

In reply to Raynos, #161154:
In reply to SpiderWolve, #161152:

Is Ren the very model of a scientist salarian?

Finished the game today myself. I can see why people are so mad, but I my mind was far too blown away by everything to give a damn. Chose to combine organic and synthetic life, seemed the most Paragon to me.

Your choice at the end was wrong and I shall point out why.

Destroy the Reapers isn't an option because it destroys all synthetic life (also burns Earth up if your combat effectiveness is low apparently). This is counter-productive if you got peace with the geth and quarians and EDI's the best shot the galaxy has at a mediator between organics and synthetics. Destroying them will ruin the chances the galaxy has at breaking the cycle of synthetics fighting organics. So no option.

Synthesis goes against the central themes of Mass Effect the series. It's the same thing as uplifting species before they're ready. The species in the galaxy didn't make their own future that involves synthesis. It's Shepard demanding that they do, which in its own right feels an awful lot like what the Reapers are doing. The species of the galaxy deserve to make their own future, as Legion would say it. It's not Shepard's or anyone's place to demand how life in the galaxy should evolve.

Control is the only viable option. Shepard sacrifices themselves to take control of the Reapers thus pulling them out of the galaxy and into dark space. Assuming you're a Paragon Shepard leaves the species to develop free of Reaper control for the first time since the cycles began. Even the loss of the relays underscores this fact, other races (like the yahg) can't use FTL until they themselves figure out the science. The geth and EDI continue to live and work with organics and only species significantly advanced enough can join the galactic community. All this hope because Shepard takes control.

It's not so nice if you have a Renegade Shepard since it'd be easy to see a Renegade using the Reaper fleet to enforce order again.. which means the Reapers only changed hats.

#161,361  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Ditto
Foolsfolly
And I read some more ME3 ending stuff in the time between and I wish to put up what I wrote over in the fan review thread for those who can be spoiled:

Simply put Mass Effect 3 is the best game of the series, which also makes it my personal favorite for 'Best BioWare Game of All Time.'

The writing is fantastic, gameplay's really fantastic, and the stakes are beautifully raised. I love how many times we go up against Reapers and come out worse for it or just break even. This is a great great game.

The Mordin/Wrex storyline? Well done. Just well done.

The Citadel Coup? Probably my favorite mission in the game, it has so much going for it. I love it from the moment it began to end.

The characters? Some really fantastic touching moments for all of them in there. I love it to death.

Everything is so well done. Although I didn't play the multiplayer nor wish to.

That being said, the ending has problems. Serious and deep problems.

I'm going to say, rightfully or wrongfully, that the ending choices aren't bad. They were just mishandled. And that the focus was wrong for the finale.

First off, you always should go on the side of caution when it comes to these big choices. You need to supply more information, always. That way players feel like they're making an informed decision and not something vague that they barely understood. More information was simply needed when it all came down to these three choices (or apparently less if you didn't do so well in the game).

As for the focus, the focus should always be on the Normandy and crew. It's weird that I have to say this but the whole bunch of them from ME1 to ME3 should have played a part in the finale. This is all of their fights. And we care about them and want to know what happens to them. Same with wanting to see all the fleets, I didn't see batarian fleets or Blood Pack guys or rachni in the fight. I really wanted to see all those desperate elements coming together.

They didn't.

But really, the crew. Take Shepard's big final Shepard Speech. Why couldn't all of the guys be there? Wrex, Samara, Zaeed, Miranda, Jacob, the whole lot of them? Why couldn't the plan just keep those non-squad mates doing tasks around the massive London battlefield? Why are they a few lines in a holograph with no closure at all?

And why isn't the Normandy in this fight? There are thousands of Reapers and hundreds of thousands of ships duking it out. Why don't we ever once see the Normandy in this fight?

And when there's moments of "marines cheering over Reapers dying/leaving" why aren't those marines crew members? We have connections to those characters not so much with random grunts.

Then there's the ending for the Normandy which makes no sense. The Normandy fled the battle? Apparently so. And squad members that died from Harbinger's attack are alive and in space? Well... what? Nothing about the crash made sense and the fact that it has no dialogue makes me think it was thrown in last minute. There's no closure there.

And the Stargazer has the same problem. I don't care about them, I don't know them, and I already knew that Shepard was a legend. I saw to that. It serves no purpose and is really terribly corny.

And the final focus problem is with the antagonist. The final antagonist should have always had been the Reaper threat. Not the Illusive Man.

The Illusive Man is an obstacle that is always in Shepard's way. That's just the fact of the matter. The big antagonist is the Reapers and what they're doing. TIM's delusional and clearly indoctrinated from the start of the game. He's not even interesting. He's just a speed bump in our way. But instead you guys elevated him to final boss and big bad of the series.

...he's delusional and poses no real threat... meanwhile just off in the distance a sapient fleet of warships has depopulated Earth and is cleaving through the last fleet of the galaxy.

Why weren't the Reapers the primary antagonist of the game and series? This is a series about stopping the Reapers not about talking the Illusive Man into killing himself. That's a repeat of Saren and has nothing to do with saving the galaxy other than TIM stood in the way of that.

So the focus for the ending is my big problem. The choices aren't great at the end but I can't help that. And those choices are left really vague and ultimately look and feel about the same regardless of choice.

The ending of this game brings down the whole thing. It's a problem and I wish it wasn't. I meant what I said this is probably your best game... but that ending... man it does not work.

That's largely my problem with the ending. Not the choices at the end but the manner in which the end was handled.
#161,362  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Ditto
SpiderWolve HppyBdayKobi
In reply to Foolsfolly, #161440:

The fact that they're already writing off John Carter a week in to it being out makes me want to stab somebody.
#161,364  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Ditto
Foolsfolly
In reply to SpiderWolve, #161441:
In reply to Foolsfolly, #161440:

The fact that they're already writing off John Carter a week in to it being out makes me want to stab somebody.

It was really fucking fun!

Sure the whole Edgar Boroughs cameo thing was weird and unneeded but other than that whole subplot the movie was fun! It made me smile.

Oh well, there's always Avengers.
#161,365  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Ditto
DoNothing69
In reply to Foolsfolly, #161442:

It might be a fun movie but the problem is, I personally have no desire to see it. I have no desire to see the lorax either but that's why John Carter is suffering. Apathy.
#161,366  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
SpiderWolve HppyBdayKobi
In reply to DoNothing69, #161443:

See that's sad, you should really go see it.

James Cameron made a hugely successful movie that was ok, pretty, but copied from Fern Gully/Pocahontas/Dances With Wolves/etc but we have a good movie out now that, imo, is much better and it's getting ignored because a big name like Cameron didn't do touch it. I don't think it's apathy, I think it's laziness and people who complain about sequels and remakes but are too lazy to investigate something that is the opposite of what they bitch about. I don't know, maybe apathy is the right word but I'll go with laziness personally.
#161,367  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 4 Ditto
Foolsfolly
It's an alright movie. Best movie I've seen so far this year (Dark Knight Rises and Avengers will replace it, of course, but that doesn't diminish John Carter at all).

In reply to SpiderWolve, #161444:

When we left the theater I looked over at Geekers and his squeeze and said, "That's Avatar done right." We giggled.
#161,368  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Funny
JayCee ImperalBaker
In reply to SpiderWolve, #161444:

Virginia!
Virginia!
Virginia!
#161,369  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 3 Funny
datalaughing Forum Mod
In reply to Foolsfolly, #161445:

*read this post as*
When we left the theater I looked over at Geekers, gave his hand a squeeze and said, "That's Avatar done right." We giggled.

I saw The Lorax. It wasn't too bad. Had some good moments. Sad that it's beating John Carter, but what can you expect? There was no buzz about Carter. Avatar was huge from the first showing because the buzz had been building for weeks, months even. People had heard it was going to change the way movies were made. No one's heard shit about John Carter. Hell, this is a thread that specializes in this sort of thing, and we barely mentioned it before it came out. That's how little buzz there was. On top of that, the only advertising we did see looked like shit. The trailers were horrible. I wouldn't have gone to see the movie if several people in the thread hadn't said it was way better than it looked. John Carter isn't Iron Man or Batman. You can't expect the name itself to draw people in, but that's what the studio seems to have thought, given the paucity of advertising. And what ads there were were shitty and misleading. The trailers reminded me of that movie 10,000 BC or whatever it was called. They should have emphasized the charm and the humor and the epic feel, not just a couple of the action beats. Hell, at least let us know that this is an American tossed into a crazy situation so we feel like we can relate, not just some random tough guy fighting CG monsters. It's like the Hudson Hawk advertising disaster all over again. And on top of everything, the title is ridiculously bland. You look through the movie listings and see "John Carter," and it really doesn't even register. There's nothing to entice any curiosity at all. At least they could have called it John Carter of Mars or they could have gone with the title of the first book, A Princess of Mars. Something, anything to make people curious. It's like they were trying to doom the film to obscurity.
#161,370  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 4 Funny
[ Previous ] [ 1 ] [ 2 ] ... [ 5378 ] [ 5379 ] [ 5380 ] ... [ 6636 ] [ 6637 ] [ Next ]
Please sign in or sign up to post a comment.