Forum
Filter     |   View Watchlist
[ Print Friendly ] [ Watch Thread ]

caboosedaman
Call of Duty: World at War

"Call of Duty: World at War will utilise the Call of Duty 4 engine but the developer has also added various enhancments, such as the ability the burn down buildings and foliage. The game takes place primarily in the pacific, with the US forces fighting Imperial Japan. Frank Kearsy, military advisor and Gulf War Veteran, has made sure that the way the Japanse fight is both tenacious and shocking.

You’ll also be fighting as the Russians, who are invading Germany. With the Nazi forces on the back foot they will start fighting even more ferociously in an attempt to defend their strongholds such as in Berlin. There is also a new party system that will allow the leader to issue commands to his troops in single player.

Mutliplayer perks are also back, including some of the favorites from Call of Duty 4, but there will also be new ones that better suit the time period. The game also features new weapons for the series, such as the flamethrower, which according to OXM, can melt the skin off of your enemies and set ablaze grass and wooden buildings. You are also able to shoot throw materials depending on the strength of the material." - MaximumFear

The subs issue of this month’s gamesTM has revealed a wealth of information on the now-announced Call of Duty: World at War, the final name for Treyarchâ€s Call of Duty 5.

From VG247 reader evilashchris, reading from the UK mag: “Right, apparently it’s going to be grittier, as gritty as ANY game out there to quote. The enemy will be scarier and use new tactics.

“There will be co-op for the first time in a Call of Duty. Also there will be vehicles and squad-based elements to the multiplayer. Formats: PC, PS3, 360 and Wii. The Wii version is being worked on by a separate team within Treyarch. [The mag] reckons it’ll be a much closer comparison between the next-gen and Wii versions than any other Wii game on the market.

“Jeez, they have the CoD4 engine running on the Wii apparently. They are using [the CoD4 engine] for all the next-gen ones too. The Wii Zapper will be supported.

“Also, this is how gritty it is: ‘The opening scene of the first level we are shown is a Japanese commander stubbing a cigarette out in the eye of a prisoner before slitting his throat - the blood splatters and dribbles down the side of the tent you are being held in. He turns towards you to deal out the same treatment but help arrives just in time. Cue a daring level-long escape.â€â

As is now known, the game will be set in the Pacific theatre of World War II.
Source: www.videogaming247.com/2008/06/09/cod5-has-co-op-vehicles-in-multiplayer-every-format-apart-from-psp/

I'm not sure if scans are allowed here, so I'll refrain from posting those, but it looks like Call of Duty 3... actually, pretty generic. It looks like they aren't really making good use of the CoD4 Engine.
#1  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 5 Cool
843 REPLIES Watch  |  Sort by Likes · Date
MSpencer
Wow, World War 2, that hasn't been done before. Treyarch needs to turn off the History Channel and turn on CNN. You want to make a game about a way? Pick one. There are a lot to choose from, one thing mankind does well is make war. War game developers should never run out of ideas.

At least the flame thrower sounds kind of cool, assuming they implement fire and burnable objects properly.
#2  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
caboosedaman
Summary of new info...

[QUOTE=Sean]just read through the article, they are doing some interesting things. here's a quick summary.

Gameplay
- Flamethrower has propagating fire (like Far Cry 2). It's design and handling is based on Return to Castle Wolfenstein, they have the lead level designer from RTCW helping. It melts enemies skin off.
- Can shoot through cover (think Battlefield: Bad Company): "with enough bullets, the player causes enough damage to one of the walls to create a hole big enough to walk through"
- You can swim for the first time in the series (both SP and MP). You can not sprint and only walk half-speed while in water.
- Ropes hang dead POWs from trees which you can shoot down.
- Certain vehicles have entire levels dedicated to them, "most notably the PBY Catalina search and rescue plane and a dramatic aerial raid on some Japanese aircraft carriers"

Co-op
- 4 player co-op online, or two-player co-op via split screen.
- Co-op is identical to SP game
- Includes a "metagame" scoring system - you are constantly earning points which can be used to unlock special co-op perks OR you can transfer those points earned over to MP and unlock perks/weapons there instead.
- One scenario demoed involves a player attracting attention of a tank while the other climbs on top and throws a grenade in the hatch.

Multiplayer:
- 16 players online
- Vehicles. In MP there are vehicle-specific levels and game types meaning people can ignore them if they want.
- Has COD4's perk system "keeping some of the most relevant and popular ones from COD4" with a selection of new ones too. The perks will be relevant to that time period, so no UAVs or other modern stuff.
- Party leader can issue orders to the team which will place an indicator on other players HUD saying where they're needed.

Development Info:
- Uses CoD4 engine which was enhanced (especially physics wise). Environments are much more destructible. It's possible to burn objects or blow them to pieces. Bodies and objects float in water. Impressive lighting.
- Lead platform is Xbox 360 with separate teams handling each port
- Has a two year development schedule which is more than twice as long as CoD3's 11 month schedule.
- Treyarch built a full-sized skeleton of the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PBY_Catalina"]PBY Catalina[/URL] (vehicle) in their motion capture studio.
- They have a military advisor, Frank Kearsey, helping out.
- 96 channels of audio - many of which are ambient jungle noises. Has "real-time occlusion" which means sound coming from behind a wall or building will sound muffled in comparison to a noise in your direct line of vision.
#3  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 3 Cool
Shadow_Dog
Sounds good, but you never know...I heard that it's taking place in WW2 where very very few shooters took place.
#4  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
CELTICPRED
World War 2: God fucking dammit.

*shakes head.
#5  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  - 6 WTF
FallSk8Life
Hey, at least it's not Nazis again. I'm tired of hearing those Germans scream when I kill them.

Still, couldn't they make one set in Nam or Korea? I mean, it would at least be NEW.
#6  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
Sou1R34Per
I don't even care if it's about world War 2. As long as I can all ways answer the Call Of Duty.
#7  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Ditto
caboosedaman
First Trailer is set to be released on June 23rd.
#8  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Cool
GermanHalo
In reply to Sou1R34Per, #7:
I don't even care if it's about world War 2. As long as I can all ways answer the Call Of Duty.

That was retarded. Join the military then.
#9  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Ditto
caboosedaman
#10  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
Lein
*sigh* WWII is oh so tired.....
#11  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Funny
Sou1R34Per
Who cares. I am a big Call of Duty fan and I don't care what it is about as long as it has a good story, online play, and other things in it.
#12  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Funny
CELTICPRED
Which COD3 failed to provide.
#13  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 0 Ditto
Sou1R34Per
Yeah. I personally like cod3 because I had a PS2 before my 360 and I loved to play cod3 on it.
#14  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
mariners005 Voice of NY
The reason cod3 was bad was because it was made in 11 months, this time treyarch had 2 years to make it. They are also using the same game engine as cod 4 with level rankings like cod 4. This game will be sick and continue the great call of duty series
#15  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
CELTICPRED
cough old boring lame weapons cough

#16  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  - 3 Noob
Sheeprwhite
i dont think it can live up to the rep. of COD4. Also, COD3 was a semi-fail, but i am a tad bit interested in the pacific front.
#17  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
caboosedaman
Yeah it looks like it'll be better than Call of Duty 3, but still shouldn't be looked at as the successor to CoD4. IMO, it should be looked at as a separate series just to help hold off the normal wait of a game (IW CoD's) every 2 years. If people are looking for the next big Call of Duty, this won't be it - but it might still be a good game to check out.
#18  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Sheeprwhite
do you think that the next infinity ward call of duty will stay modern or go back to WWII?
#19  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
CELTICPRED
Hopefully will go back to modern.
#20  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 0 Lame
FallSk8Life
Infinity Ward should go a few years into the future, I think. Like maybe 2010 or 2011. Get research on some in development weapons and make up a new war.
#21  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
GeneraI_Beef
In reply to FallSk8Life, #21:

No, no they should not.

They should do the American revolution or the civil war.
#22  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
FallSk8Life
In reply to GeneraI_Beef, #22:

Or bring it a little forward and do WWI. I think it's barely been touched.
#23  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
CELTICPRED
World War 1........the same as WW2, just shittier weapons.

No thanks. Give me back Modern Warfare.
#24  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  - 1 Lame
spartanman02
In reply to CELTICPRED, #24:

The heavy use of trench warfare in WW1 could be interesting, but I doubt we'll see a game like that anytime soon.

Anyway, Treyarch did a crappy job with CoD 3, and they're probably going to fuck this up too.
#25  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Sheeprwhite
Yeah um..... WWI was not nearly as good as WWII so no. Nam anyone?
#26  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
zaroc
I'm thinkin Arby's. Joking aside I've gotta say I'm split. On the bright side at least it's not more Nazi's on the downside, god fucking dammit WWII. I'd go with Nam, that could be pretty fun. Sure it's been done before, but not nearly as much as WWII. So CoD needs to go Nam, modern, or FUTURE! But really anything taking place after WWII is fine by me.
#27  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Sheeprwhite
Yeah i really dont know how much more WWII i can take.
#28  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Sou1R34Per
I just want another game!
#29  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 0 Ditto
GeneraI_Beef
In reply to Sou1R34Per, #29:

It sounds like you should go hang out with EA's gaming demographic then.
#30  Posted 6 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
[ 1 ] [ 2 ] ... [ 28 ] [ 29 ] [ Next ]
Please sign in or sign up to post a comment.