Grifball.com
League
Matches
Disputes and Highlights
Forum

- General Questions -

What is Grifball?
Please refer to the How To Play Section

I noticed most of the information is for the US League, is there a place for European or Oceanic players and where can I find information on those places?
Yes, for anyone from the Europe or Africa go here. For those from Asia, Australia and Antartica, go here.

What Is Needed to Play?
Microsoft Xbox 360 console, a Microsoft Live Gold subscription, Halo 3 and the Grifball Gametype and Map Variant

Where Do I Get The Grifball Gametype and Map?
You can find the most recent version in the Grifball file share

How Do You Play?
Grifball is a 4v4 game that takes place on a rectangular court. On each end is the team’s plant point that they must defend. A single bomb spawns at the center of the court. Both teams fight to work it to the opponentâ€s plant point. Only weapons allowed are the primary Gravity Hammer and secondary Energy Sword, both with infinite ammo. The player carrying the bomb has the advantage of increased speed and defenses. When the bomb touches a plant point, it registers for an immediate explosion and score. For a detailed list of the rules on how to play, click here

Who is on the Grifball Staff?
The Creator: Burnie
Grifball Commissioner: PP Moocow PP
Pro League Admin: Adam Pisani
Amateur League Admin: I Citi I and HighlndHellrazr
UK Admin: Carkito
Oceanic Admin: MajScav3nger

Is There a Website?
Grifball.com provides the most up-to-date rules and news for the Grifball Community along with a massive set of features for Grifball League teams and players.

Where Can I Find Random Pick Up Games?
When the Matchmaking Playlist is not available, you can make use of the Grifball Pick Up Games thread to find players arranging matches with random Community members.
Occasionally, Bungie will put a game variant of Grifball on their matchmaking hopper as part of a double XP weekend playlist (about once a month) that lasts from Thursday 2pm EST to Monday 5am EST.
#1  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 12 Cool
463 REPLIES Watch  |  Sort by Likes · Date
jack Cast & Crew
- Grifball.com Questions –

How Do I Create a Team on Grifball.com?
There is a great tutorial located here

How Do I Leave a Team?
This option is only available on Grifball.com on your personal profile page (not the team profile page). It will be to the right of your team’s name marked as [Leave Team]. If you are not signed in to Grifball.com, the option will not appear. Signing in to Roosterteeth.com will not have this option appear, you must be signed in to Grifball.com. When you click it, there is no warning prompt: you are instantly removed from the team.

I Still Cannot Leave My Team, Now What?
Ask a staff member for help. They will walk you through the process to make sure you did not miss a step. If you still cannot leave a team, you will be referred to a Grifball Site Admin who will manually remove you from the team.

Why Are the Stats Not Displaying Correctly?
The stat generator was hit by a system bus and left in a catatonic lag state. The stat generator used by Grifball.com that automatically compiles information submitted from match results has been on the fritz for a couple of seasons due to rapid expansion of the League. We are looking to have it fixed and running correctly soon.

Can I Edit My Team Name?
Changing team names is not allowed when your team is participating in an active season. Doing so may result in a team suspension.

Can I Change My Team’s Picture and Edit Our Bios?
Knock yourself out. Make sure that its content is appropriate (NSFW content is not permitted) and does not violate Roosterteeth’s Terms of User Agreement, General Forum Policies or GB Forum Rules.

Can I Get One of Those Cool Signatures That Staff Has?
That is for Grifball Site Admins only. Sorry.

-Back to Top-

#2  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 7 Cool
jack Cast & Crew
- League Questions -

How Do I Join a Team or Start a Team?
Visit the Looking For League Team/Player thread here

Can I Just Be Assigned a Team?
No. You must either join a team or create a team. It is not our responsibility to find you a team for the League.

When Can My Team Join the League?
League sign ups are available during a 3-6 day registration window at the start of a season. When this registration window takes place is announced well ahead of time on the Discussion thread and on Grifball.com.

What Do I Need To Join the League?
You must have a minimum of four players, and they must all be registered members of Grifball.com and RoosterTeeth.com. You must have created a team on Grifball.com.

How Many Players Can I Have?
Teams are allowed a maximum of eight players during a season.

Can I Add Players After I Register a Team?
You can add players at any time until you reach a maximum of eight. Players who have played for another team during the present season are not allowed to be added, as well as players banned from the league.

Can I Remove Players After I Register a Team?
You can only remove a player if they have not played any League match for your team. If they play even one game, that player is referred to as being “locked” into your team. A locked player cannot be dropped or traded until the start of the next seasonal League.

Can I Change My Team Name After I Register a Team?
No, changing your name once you have registered for a season could result in a suspension.

-Back to Top-
#3  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 7 Cool
jack Cast & Crew
- Match Questions –

I'm a new captain and I'm about to play my first game. How does this happen?
Each team plays 10 games against 5 other teams. For the first 5 games of the season the team that is lower in the alphabet is the party leader. For the last five games the team name that is higher in the alphabet has party lead (for example if you were on the team "Crazy Wabbits" and it was the first game of the season and you were playing the "Klingons" you would be party lead because "C" comes before "K" in the alphabet; if it were the last game of the season the "Klingons" would be party lead). If you have party lead and you know the gamertag of the team captain you are playing against then 5 minutes before game time send him an invite into your party. Once all players are in the party run the network test (this is required before each match). If both captains agree to continue with the game then start the game and have fun. If there is significant lag you can try running the network test again, resetting your XBoxes or even switching out lagging players if you have alternates available. If both captains agree that the lag is too bad to play they may report to the league commissioner that they are rescheduling their game and then play it as soon as possible following the same procedure.

Wait, 10 games in 5 weeks, reschedule your matches? How does that work?
On your set play night each week, you must play 2 games. If you are confused by who you are playing, check out the schedule (make sure you are looking at the correct season) and click “My team’s matches”. For week 1 you play Match 1 and 2, week 2 you play Match 3 and 4, and so on until the end of the 5th week. If you have to make-up a game, we have added a 6th week called the make-up week in order to assist teams who had difficulty getting games played.

When is my set play night?
When registering for a season, you are required to select Divisions based on times in which your team can play games. We then select from those and assign you to one of them with 5 other teams once registration is over.

But what if I can't contact the other team's captain or if he isn't online?
Team Captains should communicate. Prepare for your games in advance by sending messages via e-mail from the Grifball.com website, Private Messages on roosterteeth.com or in game messages on Xbox Live. All of that information is available on your opposing team's "Team Page" on grifball.com. If you still can't get ahold of the captain try and contact some of the players on the team’s roster. If they are registered at Grifball.com you will find a lot of contact information available for them. If you still cannot reach the team then go to Grifball.com and report the game as a forfeit.

What Is Network Test?
It is a game type that is run before a League Match, also available from the Grifball File Share. It helps to give a sense of what the network conditions will be like in the official match. It is a 1 minute game of Oddball which neither team can score in.

What if the Network Test Was Laggy?
Lag is very subjective. If you feel that you are unsure about the network conditions, you can request a second network test. If you still feel that network conditions will affect game play, you can ask the opposing captain if it is possible to arrange the match for later in the night or to schedule for another time for network conditions to hopefully improve.

We’re Okay With the Network Test, What Happens Now?
If you agree that the network conditions are tolerable, the party leader sets the game type to the official Grifball game type. It is now an official League Match, and cannot be stopped for any reason.

What if a Player Lags Out at the Start or During the Match?
The match cannot be stopped for any reason. If a player drops or black screens in a way that it potentially affects the match, you may choose to dispute afterwards to ask for a replay of the match due to lag out.
That being said, there are teams who offer a time-out for players to be invited back into the game. This is a gesture of good sportsmanship that should not be taken advantage of as it would violate Rule 1. Alternatively, teams may decide between themselves to replay the match. To protect yourself, have the agreement to replay the match be put in writing on a team thread with both captains consenting to this.

The Other Team Wouldn’t Stop Trash Talking!
We promote a friendly environment in Grifball. A certain amount of ribbing or trash talking can be expected, but excessive or vulgar trash talk is looked down upon. Unfortunately we cannot actively enforce this in many cases as it comes down to he-said she-said scenarios. If you find your opponent is being unnecessarily vulgar, have your team place them on Mute.

Who Reports the Results?
Only the winning team’s captain submits the result of the match on Grifball.com.

I tried to report my game and made a mistake and now everything is wrong. How do I fix it?
Send an e-mail to [email protected] and include both team names, who won and a link to the bunigie.net game report.

What Else Should I Know?
Both the winning and the losing captains are required to save a copy of the game file to their file share until the end of the active season. If a captain is unable to, a teammate is allowed to do so. For convenience, please edit the name of the saved film to “[my team name] vs [opponent team name]”

-Back to Top-

#4  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 6 Cool
jack Cast & Crew
- Disputes and Highlights –

What If I Have a Dispute?
There is a form you can submit regarding disputes on a player lagging out / going into black screen, suspicious or illegal behavior or other concerns you may have regarding an official League Match. Inform the opposing team that you are filing a dispute. Sandbagging an opponent with news of a decision rendered due to a dispute does not sit well with most Community members.

What Should I Have Available?
Ask your teammates who were in the match to also save their games to their file share. Submit the most relevant saved film with your dispute. We may at our discretion (but are not required to) check other saved films for additional input. Make sure that you clearly state the problem you are having. The saved film mentioned in the dispute form should stay in the same save slot the entire time. If we go to check for a saved film and it’s not where you said it is, the dispute is automatically rejected.

How Long Do I Have to Submit a Dispute?
You have forty-eight hours from the time the game was played to file a dispute. Any dispute received after that is at our discretion on if it will be reviewed, which will largely depend on the severity of the reason for the dispute. Any disputes after seven days of the match will not be reviewed.

How do I submit a dispute?
Only team captains should be submitting disputes to the Admins/Council. When a captain is submitting a dispute he/she should submit the following information.

Team Disputing:
    Reason for Dispute:
    RT Captain Name for Disputing Team:
    Captain's E-mail:
    Link to bungie.net game file:
    Red Team Name:
    Blue Team Name:
    Links to all possible game files:
    Extra Notes:

All disputes should be submitted to [email protected] and remember no clips please, only full films. Once a dispute has been reviewed, the Captains will be notified of the result.

How Do I Submit a Highlight?
When submitting a clip he/she should submit the following information.

Week of League Play for the Highlight
    Submitters XBL GT:
    Link to Highlight Clip:
    Players of Focus:
    Beginning Score:
    Ending Score:
    Red Team Name:
    Blue Team Name:
    A brief description:
    URL To Bungie Game Results:

All highlights should be submitted to [email protected] and remember no films please. Only clips. Also, for the purposes of editing it is always better to leave 5 extra seconds before and after the neat stuff that happens in your highlight so we can edit it properly. There is no guarantee we will use your highlight, release the highlights at a certain time/day or even make a highlight reel for that matter.

What Are the Guidelines to Film Clips?
The highlight portion of the clip (the really cool part) should take no longer than roughly 30 seconds. We ask that when you record your clip, you leave in an additional 10-15 seconds before the highlight portion of the clip and 10-15 seconds after (for a typical max total of 1 minute for a clip submission). Alternatively, if the clip is of a bomb score, wait for the Round Over pop up and for the entire screen to go black. This is so that there is enough room for editing clips together. If you do not leave sufficient room for editing, the clip may be unusable.

What Are You Looking For in a Highlight?
In the words of Tucker, we’re looking for things that just didn’t seem physically possible. Amazing bomb plants, lucky wave rides, massive sword whiffs, whacky betrayals, heart stopping saves, clutch game winning scores: we’re looking for anything that stands out that would be great to present to the Community in our weekly highlight show.

How Long Should I Keep a Highlight on File Share?
Highlights should be saved in the same slot they were submitted from until the Highlights for that week are released. This may take anywhere from 7 to 14 days, on rare occasion this could be longer. If we look for your highlight and it is not there, we will not go looking for it or ask you to upload it again.

-Back to Top-

#5  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 6 Cool
jack Cast & Crew
- Forum Questions –

What Should I Know About the Forums?
Rule 1: Don’t be a douche. For details, visit the Forum Specific Rules thread

Do I Have to Create a Team Thread?
It is a free option to begin your own team thread on the Grifball Forums. You are not required to do so, but it does have benefits. Other teams have a place to contact you and your team has a place to check for announcements.

Why Can’t I Create a Team Thread?
It is probably because you do not have a paid sponsorship or a Karma Level of 20 on Roosterteeth.com. If that is the case, ask a Grifball staff member or Grifball moderator if they can create a team thread for you.

How Do I Create Links / Post Images / etc?
Roosterteeth offers a great guide on how to post links and images.

A Player/Team is Harassing Our Team Thread!
This is a violation of Rule 1. Inform a moderator to intervene. There are four dedicated Grifball-specific moderators: Caleb (MooCow), LBCountry (Adam), Phoenixrage and Gingerlink. DO NOT FLAME BACK IN RESPONSE. Do not go into the other team’s thread to flame back: that is also a violation of Rule 1. If the GB Mods are not available, contact any other moderator to step in.

Can I Create a New Thread Topic?
Maybe. Make sure you follow the guidelines for creating a new thread (found in the General Forum Rules), and that the topic is not something that has all ready been created or is covered by a similar thread.

Why Did a Moderator Delete My Post?
Ask them. There’s a lot of reason for why a post could have been deleted. Usually they may leave a post or message you as to why it was deleted. If you’re not sure, get in touch with them and they’ll let you know what was wrong with it so that you don’t find yourself labeled as a repeat offender.

-Back to Top-
#6  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 6 Cool
jack Cast & Crew
- Grifball Threads of Interest –

Grifball Resources

Scrimmage Bulletin Board: Thread for all scrimmage announcements. We will be encouraging all scrimmage announcements to be made here to centralize information and cut down on cross-thread clutter

How To Create a Team Home Court: For teams looking to add a bit of their team's own spirit and flair to the standard Winter League court, you can opt to create your own Home Court. Read this thread for details on the process and when it is available.

How to Create a Team: This tutorial on how to make a team is very concise and requires very little attention. If a team has further questions, they should refer them to the Help Desk sticky thread instead. This thread will be linked from the WelCom thread.

Suggestions, Entreaties and Complaints: We are always looking for ways to improve the accessibility of the site to the Community. Let us know what you think about the changes made to threads, policies in effect, suggestions or ideas you have regarding the League management or complaints you have to address regarding the functioning of the League.

Grifball Events

Community Events: Events run by the Official Events Committee to keep you entertain with Grifball and other games throughout the year.

Grifball Community

Team Threads: Many teams have opted to start their own team thread. Use the search box found above to search for a team. If you wish to start a team thread but do not have enough karma, post on this thread and we will happily help you in setting one up.

Grifball Pick Up Games: A thread specific to announcing when you’ll be free for random pickup games without your team, to just Grifball for fun at any time with random members of your GB Community.

Trash Talk Thread: For ribbing and friendly rivalry chatter and the like.

Courtside BAR: Mainly for off topic discussions within the Grifball community.

I want to play Grifball but…: Fun thread for posting why you wish you could play Grifball but can’t.

-Back to Top-
#7  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 6 Cool
Phoenixrage Forum Mod
- Greetings from WelCom -

Hiya!

CleoMouri here behalf of the Grifball Welcoming Commiittee or GBWelCom for short.

Some of you reading this may be wondering "What is the GBWelCom?"

Well! The GBWelCom is a group of people from the Grifball community formed to help out the community as much as we can. The GBWelCom is here to answer questions, help you learn the game, give you a group of friendly people to talk to as you start your Grifball carreer, etc.

Who is on the GBWelCom and how do I contact the group?

The easiest way to figure out who is on GBWelCom is to check the Friends List on the WelCom account. This is the group that have volunteered to help out the community and most of all promote the philosophy of Gracious Professionalism. This list doesn't change often, but it does sometimes. So please check back every now and then to see who is still listed as a GBWelCom committee member

If you need to contact one of us you can either message one of the committee members directly, send WelCom a message or look to the WelCom, FAQ's, and Help Desk thread.
You can email GBWelCom at [email protected]
Also we've set up a silver XBox Live account where you can also find the commiittee members. GT is GBWelcoming

We really hope that new faces to Grifball and perhaps older ones too will look to GBWelCom as a source of knowledge and help.

Thanks and see you on the court!

-Back to Top-

#8  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 3 Cool
CleoMouri
I'm looking forward to helping people out. Please, don't hesitate to send me a message if you've got a question and don't want to post it in the thread.

I normally have a pretty fast turn around time on messages just FYI.

~Cleo
#9  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Cool
xenophobe4q
And you can always post questions in thread so you get a lot of repsonses and so that the memebers of WelCom have a good feeling that they helped somebody =)
#10  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
mrmatt665
We had a perfectly good thread before...
#11  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
scotsmanusa
Anyone interested in helping with a Bum Rush this coming Wednesday night? Or - should we wait till Friday night?

I think it's time that we involved the Rookies - so per MooCow's suggestion I suggest we go for a "Show the Rookies some Love" tourney.

I figure we go for a 16 team, single-elim bracket. Open the thread at 9pm EST and start by 9:30pm EST to allow some of us to get to bed at a decent hour!

Let me know what y'all think.

~High
#12  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
xenophobe4q
i say wait until friday in case it runs late and people may have to go to sleep on wednesday...just my 2 cents
#13  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Zing!
caleb Cast & Crew
i work until 730 cst on wednesday, so this could work for me
#14  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
Nogard
I think friday is a better day for people who have school and what not (I don't have school... but most people do lol)
#15  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
caleb Cast & Crew
i can do next friday as well
#16  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
grimllock Sponsor
one of my friends dosn't have an xbox, is it ok if he plays under the same gamertag as me through split screen? or is that against leauge rules if not i think i can get a substitute as long as its ok for them to be in another continent, and thus it would be harder for my team

my gamertag is blazingstalion
and the grifball team me and my friends are making is team ramrod
#17  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
KGBBlaine
It's okay the last time I checked, to have a "Guest" as an official player for your team.
#18  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
scotsmanusa
Friday works for me also. What are the requirements to have GB WelCom sponsor this one? Since Rookies are involved we should really get the info posted ont he main Grifball page by Monday at the latest if we're running it Friday so they can have enough time to get everything together. We should also figure our 16 team captains (I'd like to be one).
#19  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
caleb Cast & Crew
one legacy captain with 3 rookies
#20  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
KGBBlaine
So it's gonna be like 16 legacies picking teams?

"Ummm, hmmm the crippled kid, or the one with no teeth....I choose Bobby"
#21  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
caleb Cast & Crew
kinda
#22  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
xenophobe4q
r people in rookie league rookies?
#23  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
caleb Cast & Crew
no, they are now legacy
#24  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
UNSCDF_MS
Technically the Rookie League isn't over though, so personally I'd still call them Rookies.

But I guess you're going for people who are new to Grifball - who haven't been on a team or played in a League yet, right?
#25  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
caleb Cast & Crew
yep, if you have played a league game you are considered a legacy player for this
#26  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
Archer
how will the rookies be picked?
#27  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
caleb Cast & Crew
a legacy captain forms a team
#28  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Archer
In reply to PPMooCowPP, #28:

now do we register this bum rush team on grifball.com? Ive never played in a bum rush so I am not sure
#29  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
scotsmanusa
No - there's no need to register a team on Grifball.com. I figure if we can get the 16 vets listed we can post a list in a new Rookie bum rush thread and have them pick a team till all spots are gone.
#30  Posted 5 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
[ 1 ] [ 2 ] ... [ 15 ] [ 16 ] [ Next ]
Please sign in or sign up to post a comment.