Forum
Filter     |   View Watchlist
[ Print Friendly ] [ Watch Thread ]

axeeffect64
The Center of the UniverseIf the Universe is ever expanding, what is at the center? Maybe it's the only perfect vacuum, or more optimistically, maybe it's a white hole that keeps the universe from expanding to the point where solar systems would be completely isolated from one another. What do you think?
#1  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  - 1 Lame
56 REPLIES Watch  |  Sort by Likes · Date
MSniperX
At the center of the universe is a 9V battery powering all the stars in the universe to make light and reflect off respective moons to give light to the organisms of the moon's respective planet during their night time.
#2  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 6 Funny
axeeffect64
Sounds like a science fair model of the solar system, but it is an interesting theory...
#3  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  - 2 Noob
Hades3390
Didn't someone say the big bang is just still managing to cause the universe to expand and will eventually stop affecting everything, at which point things will start to go in reverse? Or maybe I'm mad...
#4  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
axeeffect64
No, you're right. What you're thinking of is the Big Crunch Theory. Don't feel like paraphrasing so here:
" If the density of the universe is greater than the critical density, then the strength of the gravitational force will stop the universe from expanding and the universe will collapse back on itself. "-Wikipedia
#5  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Chi_Mangetsu EmEffin TRex
This should just about cover everything.
#6  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Hades3390
Oh sweet, so I'm not crazy; must read wikipedia article...
#7  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Radius55 Site Admin
In reply to axeeffect64, #1:

Every point is the center of the universe since space itself was created in the Big Bang. There can be no physical center since space and time did not exist prior to their creation.
#8  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  - 1 Noob
kittenklr
The Center of the Universe
#9  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Reniko
More empty space. i doubt there'd be anything special at the centre of the universe, i don't believe there'd actually be a way to tell where it is.
#10  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
BatJeff
Apparently it's in Oklahoma:

Centre of the Universe
#11  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Funny
Hoorah Davesexual
It would be interesting to think that the center of the universe is a portal. Yep, a portal, to an alternate universe. And that's all the center was, was a portal. That would be something.
#12  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
axeeffect64
In reply to Radius55, #8:

Seeing as how space isn't an exact shape you're right in that there isn't a center. However, since the universe is finite there should theoretically be an approximate center.

In reply to HOORAH93, #12:

Maybe the portal you're talking about was created by a stalemate associate. Now that would be crazy.
#13  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
jontheninja
That is not the big question here. If space is always expanding what is it expanding into?
#14  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
TheFuror Sponsor
In reply to jontheninja, #14:

It's not expanding "into" anything. There is no non-space outside the universe.

In reply to axeeffect64, #13:
However, since the universe is finite there should theoretically be an approximate center.
Think of the expanding universe as the surface of an inflating balloon. On that surface every point would be receding from every other point with the big bang as the start of that inflation. But you could not find a point on that surface that you could call "center".
#15  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Cool
default_ex
The only way we could hope to find the center of the universe is to first find it's shape. That's not likely to ever happen if the farthest parts of the universe are causally disconnected from us.
#16  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Landon Sponsor
In reply to Radius55, #8:
In reply to axeeffect64, #1:

Every point is the center of the universe since space itself was created in the Big Bang. There can be no physical center since space and time did not exist prior to their creation.

Not proven yo.
#17  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  - 1 Flamebait
Chi_Mangetsu EmEffin TRex
I always thought that at the center of the universe we'd find Lew DeWitt playing solitaire, but that's just me.
#18  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
axeeffect64
In reply to TheFuror, #15:

That's a good analogy for teaching the concept of the Big Bang, but in real life it is possible to go inside the balloon.
#19  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
TheFuror Sponsor
In reply to axeeffect64, #19:

Would you be more comfortable with the concept of a 4-dimensional sphere?
#20  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
axeeffect64
In reply to TheFuror, #20:

What I meant is that I wasn't talking about looking for the center of the universe on the surface of the balloon. It would obviously take a while, but under close scrutiny you could track the movement of certain solar systems and use it to triangulate the approximate center of the universe.
#21  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
TheFuror Sponsor
In reply to axeeffect64, #21:

There's a video on youtube, a lecture by Lawrence Krauss 'A Universe from Nothing' in which he explains why that's not possible. Every point (with a certain randomness, of course) is moving away from every other point, so that if you were to try triangulation you would find that apparently wherever you are right now is in the center of the inflation.

Allow me to demonstrate rather crudely:

Galaxies at t=0:

Galaxies at t>0, further apart:

Overlay of both with observer at the "center" galaxy:

Overlay of both with observer at the "bottom left" galaxy:

I hope that explains it a little better. Krauss of course does a better job at it than me.
#22  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
axeeffect64
In reply to TheFuror, #22:

I feel retarded right now because that makes no sense to me at the moment, but i do remember seeing that somewhere, and it did then, so i know what you're talking about. (sorry about the run-on)
#23  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
BatJeff
In reply to TheFuror, #22:

Holy shit... so we ARE at the centre of the universe. Fuck yeah.
#24  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 4 Funny
TheFuror Sponsor
In reply to BatJeff, #24:

No, I am in the center of the universe, like I said.
#25  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Ditto
DaveyNolsey Sponsor
Maybe, because the universe is still expanding the centre of the universe would be the exact location of the Big Bang itself. So there would be a huge amount of force pushing outward.....either that or some wierd sex scene, I still haven't decided.
#26  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
oborotyenv
Kevin bacon is in the center of the universe!
#27  Posted 3 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
BadNight
AH is the centre of the universe.
#28  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
KWierso Sponsor
In reply to BadNight, #28:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14
#29  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
default_ex
You see there is this massive hamster wheel...
#30  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Funny
[ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ Next ]
Please sign in or sign up to post a comment.