Forum
Filter     |   View Watchlist
[ Print Friendly ] [ Watch Thread ]

vBigzZ
Gamestop refusing to sell PS4?Yep, so I just read this article: www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-28-gamestop-...

To sum it up, the rumors are that the PS4 or "Orbis" will require an activation code in order to play it (such as for a pc game). This would mean you could not buy used games and play them or borrow from a friend and so on. This is old news as there have been rumors going around for a while now saying that the next generations of consoles will follow in EA's footsteps by putting in these required activation codes.

Sorry if anyone has already posted about this but I figured I'd bring it to the attention of those you haven't heard about this.

I must say I am quite happy to see Gamestop standing up against this, as this will allow the companies to see the money they can lose by adding this feature onto their console. I am sure we'll see much more action from Gamestop aswell as other used game retailers if this rumor is not cleared up.
So please discuss, love to hear what some of the community thinks of this whole situation that's hanging over the gaming industry at this moment.
#1  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
21 REPLIES Watch  |  Sort by Likes · Date
vBigzZ
Personally I believe that this whole thing will stay a rumor. Game companies risk losing much more money then they will make by taking away used games.
#2  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
spi
Well I like that they are standing up against this, but it's a purely selfish motivation. Lest face it GameStop doesn't care what is good for you, other wise they would buy games for more then a dollar. if this happens they would go out of business, I don't want that to happen I like GameStop even if I wouldn't dare sell anything to em. I think this whole no used games this is dumb, if they do it, it will really be bad for them in the end. Look at how things are with PC gaming, Sure it's the best platform but so many people pirate games and we all know that if they convert to disc-less consoles there will be torrents and hacks everywhere for games.
#3  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
vBigzZ
In reply to spi, #3:

Yes its selfish motivation but either way it ends up benefiting the consumer. They're doing what is best for business, but so is sony so by making sony realize the risk of losing business we all win.

Doesn't even have to be disc-less consoles I know plenty of people that have flashed xbox's and just burn their games for free off torrents so that isn't really the problem with this, as long as there is internet people will find a way to hack and get programs, games, music, etc. for free.
#4  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Moonrager
In reply to vBigzZ, #1:

To sum it up, the rumors are that the PS4 or "Orbis" will require an activation code in order to play it (such as for a pc game). This would mean you could not buy used games and play them or borrow from a friend and so on. This is old news as there have been rumors going around for a while now saying that the next generations of consoles will follow in EA's footsteps by putting in these required activation codes.
I find it pretty stupid for the amount thats paid for these games, we can't use them over again? These companies are starting to become cheap as time flies and technology evolves, and since its Sony, I'm pretty sure they're trying to regain all the money they had to spend fixing their security and all the money they lost from sales..
#5  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
spi
Also when if people have to get a new console due to theirs crashing, they would lose all their games, I just don't see this working.
#6  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Prototape
I didn't expect a response like this from game retailers. They don't really make anything on used games, and they'd make a lot should they sell the Playstation 3. From a revenue standpoint, it's weird move. From a support standpoint, it's pretty cool.
#7  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Sara_3 Sponsor
I honestly used to love Gamestop, but recently I found a used gaming store in a city nearby where they offer you a lot more for a used game, sell used games cheaper, and have a year return policy. Oh yeah... And if you don't like the game? Trade it in and get a new one. I also got my PS3 from Best Buy, mainly due to their Geek Squad policy for video game systems.

As for the used games, I don't buy a new game rarely ever. If it's a series I know I'll play through no matter what. (I reserved Assassin's Creed III for that one reason.) I like the price of used games, they work usually as good as new games, and at this new place, I know I can return it with little issue. If it was I had to buy them new, and not be able to sell it if I wanted to? I would probably not get the system. Which is sad, because I've been a huge PS fan since two and regret not getting PSOne. I hope Sony changes their minds.

And yeah, I agree it's not a good business standpoint, but I do know they're trying to do more to get people to buy used games recently.
#8  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
default_ex
In the words of George Carlin, "this shit has got to go". Not talking just this, but all of these online activation based DCP measures. It's not stopping or slowing down pirating at all, we've all seen the numbers pirating is at an all time high. The only thing it has accomplished is frustrating legitimate players that just want to put the damn game into the machine and play it. I for one don't enjoy being treated as guilty before being acknowledge as innocent, and that's exactly what all this crap does.

I just wish more would stop buying online activation and limited activation games. That's the power of the dollar, don't like it, don't pay for it, they'll get the point.
#9  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Getsuoni
Could be worse, I look at it like this at least they are not charging us a fee per game in order to play a game brand new.
#10  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Matheau
In reply to vBigzZ, #2:
Personally I believe that this whole thing will stay a rumor. Game companies risk losing much more money then they will make by taking away used games.

No, they really don't. GameStop's entire business model is devoted around around screwing over developers and publishers. They specifically instruct their employees to sell used copies whenever possible because it is a higher profit margin per copy. Developers get no money for used sales.

The simple fact is no company, except GameStop and similar retailers, care about people that buy used copies. They contribute nothing to the people that actually make the game. In fact, used sales are detrimental because some people that buy used, given no alternative, would still buy a new copy.

Used sales from a monetary standpoint are meaningless, which is what a lot of people that haven't worked in these industries don't seem to realize. It's better to sell 12 million new copies of a game and no used copies than to sell 20 million copies, only 10 million of which were new.

Game companies lose nothing if GameStop tanks. Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and all those huge chains will carry it because used sales don't matter to them. If one of their major competitors slits their throat over this, they are going to be ecstatic.

By the way, GameStop's stock started to drop when they made the announcement, right now they are the only ones that are losing money.

In reply to spi, #6:
Also when if people have to get a new console due to theirs crashing, they would lose all their games, I just don't see this working.

How do you explain Xbox Live Marketplace, PlayStation Store, or Steam working? If your console or PC die, you still can get everything back.
#11  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
skoomabro
In reply to vBigzZ, #1:

I'm fairly sure publishers and devs lose more money from used game sales (where they get little to nothing as far as profits go) than from 1 company not selling 1 console. I could be completely wrong here but that just seems like basic logic to me. Considering those who are already going to buy PS4 probably don't care where they buy it from. Walmart probably will have cheaper anyways.
#12  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Ikagawa
In reply to spi, #6:

You don't know what you're talking about. All they do is tie the online pass to your profile, not the physical hardware.
#13  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
ToothlesGame RT Michigan
I think this is just a big middle finger to gamer's from Sony what they plan to do
#14  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
hbk41096 SwarmCenter
This is a necessary step. You guys do realize that Gamestop buys a game from you for $5 and turns around and sells it for $20, that's $15 pure profit for only them. The developers who worked to make the game get nothing, the publishers get nothing, and Gamestop continues to grow. And plus, everything is going digital. There's no buying "Pre-Owned" digital copies, so you might just need to get used to it now. But this is just my opinion.
#15  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
spi
In reply to hbk41096, #15:
true, but people like hard copies of things, I don't think games will ever be only digital.
#16  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
ToothlesGame RT Michigan
In reply to spi, #16:

I think with time games will be majority sold digitally then hard copy
#17  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Delirium1138
I prefer hard copies, but I can see everything going digital eventually. Music is already majorly digital and movies seem to becoming more and more digital along with games.
#18  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
THEJACKAL09 dem thangs
I'm personally going to stay away from rumors and debates about the better consoles. I got so frustrated during the 360's, Wii's, and PS3's development with rumors about stuff that was incredibly stupid in retrospect. Then the debates about which was better. Yeah THAT never got old. So I'm just going to get a console that I want and fuck everyone else.
#19  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 2 Ditto
SonOfJecht Sponsor
Wow that one is straight out of left field. Refusing to sell a console because it won't play pre-owned games is something I never thought I'd see a company do or even be rumored to do. I get the 'why' it might happen, but Gamestop's entire income is based around what what gaming companies like Sony develop. I'm sure that they're smart enough to realize that
#20  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Ikagawa
Opinion: Your Local Game Store is Going Bust
#21  Posted 2 years ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Please sign in or sign up to post a comment.