Okay, so I was planning on buying a Hauppauge hd pvr, but there are some things I need to know before I spend 200 bucks.
1. I don't have an hd tv. I've done research and it appears as if you can hook it up to an old sd tv, but will this affect the quality of the videos? Would it be high quality SD instead of HD?
2. I remember when I used to use a dazzle, I'd hook up my 360 to the dazzle, then connect the dazzle to the computer, and in pinnacle studio 12 I could see what was happening on the xbox, so a TV wasn't actually needed at all to record. Can the hauppauge work like this?
3. Is hauppauge hd pvr only for xbox 360/ps3/wii, or could it be connected to a gamecube?
1. You would probably need a converter from component to composite. The front ports are for input. If the input is in HD then the quality of the video will not be affected. The quality will be affected on the output to the converter which will downscale it.
2. There is a delay on the computer.
Or what you could do is take apart the video connectors plastic shielding on what connects to the xbox. Plug in both that and an HDMI cable and find a HDMI to DVI/VGA adapters (you can find them for ~$5 on Amazon) and plug it into a monitor.
Or just spend another $175 or so and get a 22 inch HDTV.