LIVE NOW: The Patch

Forum
Filter     |   View Watchlist
[ Print Friendly ] [ Watch Thread ]

shangmaster Sponsor
How to reduce echo?Heylo. So i just finished editing my second Dead Island co-op video and i cant figure out how to reduce echo... www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeEa1XEw7u4 to see what i mean. She sits next to me when we play so how can i reduce the echo?
#1  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
16 REPLIES Watch  |  Sort by Likes · Date
shangmaster Sponsor
I am using Sony Vegas to edit video.

I will be using Audacity to record audio seperately from now on but the echo will still be an issue
#2  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Ikagawa
I don't notice any echo. You can barely hear your girlfriend at all though. You need to get her a dedicated mic.

And you need to make that "Twitchy" in the corner much, much smaller. It's obtrusive.
#3  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
shangmaster Sponsor
the reason you cant really hear her is because she echod like crazy and her mic has alot of background static.
#4  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
shangmaster Sponsor
and yeah il have to change that. unfortunately i kinda already finished the next video in the series :P so itl have till wait till next weeks recording
#5  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Ikagawa
On the positive though, it was funny to watch! Your solo commentary was pretty good and I think it will just be better when we can hear the interaction between you and your girlfriend.
#6  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
shangmaster Sponsor
In reply to Ikagawa, #6:

il be uploading a new one. we used Audacity to capture the sound and i tried to edit out her static and still keep her volume. Given the upload speeds.. il post a link in 6-8 hours lol
#7  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
shangmaster Sponsor
youtu.be/JJyVOsDrjJ4 How does this one sound?
#8  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
shangmaster Sponsor
Anyone? =/ i have no idea what im doing
#9  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
JakeHCoker Anime Addict
I would recommend using 1 mic if you're both right next to each other. On The SIGMA Podcast, we had a lot of trouble with echo in our first couple of episodes because we were using so many mics right next to each other. However, we now only use one omni-directional mic and the quality is much better. Far from RT production, but still it requires much less work in edit.

Another way to reduce echo is to keep the recording room small and have soft materials such as a blanket keep the voices from echoing off the walls. One method some recorders on a budget use is recording with a blanket over themselves and the mic. This obviously could make issues for recording video too, but blankets can still be placed around the mics to help avoid echo.

Hope this helps some! Good luck!
#10  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote  |  + 1 Cool
mitmaster Awesome Guy
In reply to JakeHCoker, #10:

The blanket thing is really good advice.

Just remember, especially for live action: there's lots of ways to fix video in post. Not a lot of easy ways, but it's still possible. Audio, on the other hand... if you record it wrong, you're fucked. Any attempt to 'clean up' an audio track won't be the same, because all you can do it take away information.

#11  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
shangmaster Sponsor
aah okies. il look into a omni-mic. we sit about 1meter from eachother on 2 seperate computers.
#12  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
JakeHCoker Anime Addict
In reply to shangmaster, #12:

If either of you are using a MacBook Pro, I know that the built in mics are actually pretty efficient against echo if you're low on cash (probably from buying the mac).
#13  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
shangmaster Sponsor
hehehe im on a PC. im no fan of mac
#14  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
JakeHCoker Anime Addict
In reply to shangmaster, #14:

Lol most people aren't. I only made the switch because I heard it would be harder for me to get a virus "which I'm pretty prone to". So far I'm in love with it, but I also have a PC at home that I keep around for other projects that need certain softwares. I'm not a huge fan of the mics on Toshibas though for sure.
#15  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
shangmaster Sponsor
Viruses arent much of an issue for me as most viruses are easy enough to spot. and i use Avast! antivirus which does a damn good job :P

Follow up a virus scan with MalwareBytes and your set
#16  Posted 1 year ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Please sign in or sign up to post a comment.