I posted the following to @MikeQuinn's Web Suggestions journal:
Ok, here we go:
First off I'm going to say that a lot of my suggestions are things that I believe should be coming back from the old site.
- Mod history - the ability to see who has modded you and for what is something that was cherished by sponsors as a perk of giving you guys our money. Not only does it show you who reads and views your pictures, journals, and forum posts but it also gives the readers a way to mark their presence without writing something out.
- Ability to share TO THIS SITE - Sure, it's awesome to be able to share content from here over to places like Facebook and Twitter. My problem is the inability to share to the one place we call home and that's the RT website. It was something in the last version of the website and could be perfected with the share button.
- Improved Tabs - Currently if you wanted to browse through my 11.5 years worth of images, you would tear your hair out before reaching the last page. Every time you switch pages in a secondary tab either on profiles or in groups, you are taken back to the default tab. This needed to be fixed months ago.
- Comments Sorting - I know that it maybe does make sense to show the newest comments first under journals and images, but it has always been a part of the culture of the community to try to be one of the first to comment. Currently it makes the comment section a mess because it's like browsing Reddit by new posts... who does that? I would like to see comments either be changed back to the "oldest to newest" ordering or give the user the option to change the ordering.
- Sponsor Chat - It's something that should be accessible to everyone, but you have to either stumble upon it or know the direct URL to find it as of now. Why not make the Sponsors tab at the top a drop down that contains the Sponsor Chat link? Easy Peasy.
- Smilies - There's no reason for these to have gone away. They were previously Sponsor only and now they don't exist. Just another perk taken away from Sponsors before the price was raised on Sponsorships.
- Profile and Dashboard - These should be the same thing. Or, rather, the Dashboard should be part of your profile area. There's a lot of negative space under "Shows I Follow" on our profiles that can include the links to Popular Content and the rest. The "Dashboard" should be the Hub of the user experience with everything easily accessible from there. This includes my next point:
- Notifications - Good lord these are a mess right now. When I click on the drop down at the top I'm only displayed the 5 newest notifications. Since this is the only place they appear besides the "Show All Notifications" area, it makes it very cumbersome finding the things some of us find important such as journal comments, mentions, and forum posts. Along with this Notifications currently only disappear when clicked on directly from the notification area. Something needs to happen to make these disappear when they are accessed in any way. Currently I receive two notifications if I follow something and I'm mentioned in the comment. I have to click on both links to clear them.
- Suggestion for Notifications - Put them on our profiles. Not like the Dashboard, but just a list of what notifications we currently have right there either on the right side or in its own tab. What would be even greater is if you could breakdown the Users I Follow notifications with the username and everything I haven't read under that. Separate from this would be Journal comments, mentions, and forum posts.
- Forum improvement - I won't mention the problems with the pages, as I'm sure that's in the works to be fixed. The biggest annoyance for me is when I am replying to someone it not automatically leaving enough space between "In Reply To" and my cursor. I end up just hitting enter, but it just looks awful. Along with that, the reply links are borked and don't take you to the correct comment.
- Searching - Before we could search directly on any page of the site and it would perform a "live search" to find what we're looking for now. Currently, the search system is clunky and very slow. Worst of all, it takes you to a separate page to perform your search.
- Mod Bank - C'mon... C'MON! You know you wanna. Just do it. It'll be fun.
- Staff - Force the people who work for Rooster Teeth to act like they LIKE it here and to not constantly use it as advertisements to videos and everything else. It has to start there. If the staff would start posting here and linking things here from Twitter and Facebook and the others, we would probably have more activity. Instead all the new fans see interactions on the other sites and say "Why the hell should I go over there where none of the cool people are" and they miss out on the community.
Anyway, I think that's it for now. I really, really hope to see some of these implemented as I've talked myself out of canceling my sponsorship about 10 times since the new site design. I gotta see some of these improvements to keep giving you guys money. Before this site came up I was one of the people interviewed as to what I would like to see on this version of the website and I feel like my interview was shredded immediately. Now that I get another go at this, I really hope I'm heard.
A very, very concerned community member.
If you think I should add something to it, feel free to leave me a comment. It's a pretty long post and is a bit difficult to miss. We may have a better chance of being seen if we pool our resources. I think it's great that he's asking for suggestions, but this isn't the first (nor the second, third, etc) feedback post I've been a part of on this site. This shit is going to get out of hand the more people find out about it. It might be good for me to add on to my post for a bit so it gains some visibility.